Byron Nelson 2024

3,121 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by powerbelly
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is coming up this next week. Anyone on the board heading out to any of the rounds?
AgfromHOU
AG
I got tickets for Thursday, but not optimistic about the weather. It'll be my first year of not going for free since it's been in McKinney.

They're giving away free tickets to military this year, by the way.
schwabbin
AG
Looking for a Thursday ticket if anyone has an extra to sell
Chainsaw07
AG
I've got 4 general admission for Thursday you can have if you want them
DallasAggie89
AG
I've got Thursday tickets but it looks like it will be washed out.
Wicked Good Ag
might be in the area so if you have one let me know but i dont think it is going to happen
schwabbin
AG
Awesome. I just need two for a buddy and I.
TecRecAg
AG
Have champions club tickets for Saturday. Hoping for decent weather!
Chainsaw07
AG
Sent
schwabbin
AG
Good bull! I'll be sure to pass it on. Appreciate your generosity.
Spaceship
AG
This is the worst field I can recall seeing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
the popularity of Quail Hollow along with a major (or 5th major) moving to May have hammered this event for a long time, now mix in fractured fields due the LIV and it's bottoming out.
AgBQ-00
AG
I really wish that either this tourney or the Colonial would become a signature event. But that seems highly unlikely.
AgfromHOU
AG
I bet the field will be miles better in 2027 when the PGA is in Frisco if they are within a couple of weeks of each other.

Really turned out to be a nice morning out at Craig Ranch, though.
AgfromHOU
AG
Also they opened up part of the 17th stadium seating to general admission this year. Pretty nice chilling on the side in the shade with food and drinks behind you. Looks like they didn't put up the high seats behind the green like last year.
fightinags2013
AG
It was my first time at a PGA event and I had a great time on Thursday.

There is some elevated seating right on top of the par 3 7th where we watched multiple groups come through, including Day/Speith.

Kind of upsetting to watch guy after guy hit shots that would be among my greatest of all time.
2wealfth Man
AG
Spaceship said:

This is the worst field I can recall seeing.
this thing is a shadow of its former self. I remember working in Las Colinas and we would leave early on Thurs and Friday to hit the course, the party tent and Via Real restaurant. All were must see places. The move to Trinity Forest was catastrophic for this tournament and then the LIV split has now drained all the energy from regular PGA tour events in general.
aggiebonzo
AG
Everyone does realize the terrible field has to do with where this event falls on the PGA schedule right? Between two signature events and before the PGA. All the top players are taking it off to rest and work on their game before the Wells Fargo and PGA in the next two weeks. This event exists now to give a lot of the guys holding onto their card to earn some points and give some others some starts on the tour.
Muy
AG
The field is a Who's Who of "Who?!"
Prexys Moon
AG
I went to the Nelson in the late 90s and the field was just incredible. Woods Watson els mickelson dj couples all the big boys. Then the idiots moved it to trinity forest ( not a single tree on property), now moved again and it's a total dud. Not one name on the board you recognize. Might as well be a high school tournament.

Greed and stupidity is killing golf and college sports.
DallasAggie89
AG
Prexys Moon said:

I went to the Nelson in the late 90s and the field was just incredible. Woods Watson els mickelson dj couples all the big boys. Then the idiots moved it to trinity forest ( not a single tree on property), now moved again and it's a total dud. Not one name on the board you recognize. Might as well be a high school tournament.

It could still be at Four Seasons and it would have this exact field.

Schedule and LIV has killed it.
Prexys Moon
AG
Only thing is, a lot of player wives loved four seasons. Then when they moved to TF a bunch of players stopped coming and mentioned that factor. Then by the time they moved to where they are now, guys had stopped coming. Then LIV and the schedule was the dagger.
CyAg86
AG
This is the result of hypocrite Rory and a few others who were behind the signature events where all top players would play. If your event is not a signature event your field will be predominantly no names. The casual golf fan probably could not name a single player in the top 15 starting today's round. These non-signature events will have sponsorship issues going forward with diminished ticket sales and ratings.
DallasAggie89
AG
I would be in favor of shutting down the tournament if it meant never seeing a Bibigo commercial again.
2wealfth Man
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

Prexys Moon said:

or it could have been a signature event if properly managed and given a better calendar slot

Quote:

Then the idiots moved it to trinity forest ( not a single tree on property)
at least AT&T got lots of DEI points on their scorecard for moving it to an impoverished area
Muy
AG
2wealfth Man said:

DallasAggie89 said:

Prexys Moon said:

or it could have been a signature event if properly managed and given a better calendar slot

Quote:

Then the idiots moved it to trinity forest ( not a single tree on property)
at least AT&T got lots of DEI points on their scorecard for moving it to an impoverished area

Then they ripped it out of that area because it sucked.
Muy
AG
Kohles' setup is driving me nuts. Hit the ball!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the shame is that it was basically a signature event at one time. One of (if not the) the largest purses on tour for a non-major and basically the prime May stop. Byron's death was the first hit followed by a series of hits since then. He was a fantastic ambassador and personally invited players with hand-written notes, and I'm sure his existence also put pressure on the Tour leadership to ensure its success remained a key focus.
Muy
AG
Back in the day, if you want to have fun, go to the Nelson. If you want to watch golf, go to the Colonial.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No names but crazy finish at least
Muy
AG
Kohles missed putt cost him $700k
DannyDuberstein
AG
Possibly. Would have had to win a playoff too though
DallasAggie89
AG
Byron Nelson turning over in his grave after seeing that leaderboard.
Muy
AG
Correct
DannyDuberstein
AG
Muy said:

Back in the day, if you want to have fun, go to the Nelson. If you want to watch golf, go to the Colonial.

We would split days at the Nelson. Usually Thursday or Friday would be "watch golf" day, then Saturday would be Pavilion party day including playing "real or not real" about tits. Sunday was watch the finish from home hungover day.

Camping out at #7 was our favorite spot. Never crowded since it was a far hike and a reachable par 5 so lots of variety of shots, then 8 tee there to see them try to cut a driver on the dogleg eight. Was also a great way to see Tiger up close.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.