Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

77,712 Views | 476 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Red Pear Realty
BCG Disciple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are still the shiniest turd on the international scene. I have a firm understanding of economics, banking and money supply on a national level, but fully admit I lack the international understanding to fully assess.

I struggle to understand why we did not see hyper inflation with qe from 2009-12. My very elementary understanding is that the printing shored up a deflationary environment and we didn't see a massive capex spend leading to demand and even a money multiplier effect. Wall Street sat on its money, in large part because of an anti business administration pushing scare tactics and in large part because the money simply improved balance sheet liquidity. There was inflation, and it was meaningful if you figure we were in a deflationary environment, but it was not hyperinflation. Trump benefited from some pent up demand from a previous admin to stupid to realize they were self sabatoging, like most left wingers.

We are in an inflationary environment now. Funds spent did have a multiplier effect (low income stimulus is spent) and there has been a big demand push (capex pushing even more toward automation). Although we are printing from a massive contraction, and admin is still stepping on its own d**k. I'm calling for 5-10% inflation for the next 2-3 years, but I'm listening to the experts who claim it's only transitory.
Jabin
Quote:

I struggle to understand why we did not see hyper inflation with qe from 2009-12.
I share your struggle and do not completely understand it either.

Explanations I've read that make some sense, and may not be mutually exclusive, include:

1. The money injected via QE merely replaced the money that evaporated in the subprime crisis.
2. The money injected via QE was used primarily to shore up capital losses at big banks and did not otherwise enter the stream of commerce.
3. The increase in the money supply was offset by increased GNP and greater efficiency via technology.

It's way over my head though.
SteveBott
AG
Well point of reference is treasury bonds are at a year low. If any market is worried about inflation they are the canary in the ol coal mine.
evan_aggie
AG
SteveBott said:

Well point of reference is treasury bonds are at a year low. If any market is worried about inflation they are the canary in the ol coal mine.

Question: if inflation is persistent above 3-4% for multiple years, and bonds do not increase, isn't that even worse for citizens? Aren't a lot of treasuries owned by foreign governments, some of which are okay with a 1.5% yield as opposed to us?

SteveBott
AG
Inflation, systemic anyway, will push bonds up. They were going up earlier this year but a new surge of Covid has backed them down for concern it will hurt the economy
mazag08
AG
It got quiet in here..
ac04
i am absolutely shocked that powell and yellen either A) are completely incompetent or B) saw this coming and lied. i was told they are the smartest guys in the room so its a mystery.
agracer
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

Starting wages for McDonalds and Chipotle aren't going to return back to less than $15/hr.

Lumber isn't dropping back down to $200.

Chipotle and McDonald's don't have $15 starting wages. Average? Yes (at corporate stores). Starting? No.

Lumber back down to $200? What decade do you live in? Lumber hasn't been at $200 for a long time. Try $350-$400 as a realistic average. Lows around $250, but saying back down to $200 is just asinine. It's at <$600 now after almost hitting $1700 just 2 months ago.

The sky is not falling.
The McDonald's down the street from me has a sign out front with $15/hr starting wage and 'benefits'.
YouBet
AG
I probably already shared this but the Dairy Queen in freaking Cuervo, TX was advertising $15 starting wages this summer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
agracer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

Starting wages for McDonalds and Chipotle aren't going to return back to less than $15/hr.

Chipotle and McDonald's don't have $15 starting wages. Average? Yes (at corporate stores). Starting? No.

Lumber back down to $200? What decade do you live in? Lumber hasn't been at $200 for a long time. Try $350-$400 as a realistic average. Lows around $250, but saying back down to $200 is just asinine. It's at <$600 now after almost hitting $1700 just 2 months ago.

The sky is not falling.
The McDonald's down the street from me has a sign out front with $15/hr starting wage and 'benefits'.

Anecdotal. I'll concede the point if you find me something staying that it is now corporate policy and tat franchisees are bound to it or meeting it as well.
agracer
AG
What does that matter? You said they don't pay $15/hr and some areas of the country are in fact paying that. Summer 2019 my son was looking for a job and best part time pay he found was $10/hr (not McDonalds). One of my sons worked fast food summer 2016 for $8.50/hr.

Here we are summer 2021 and the rate has almost doubled in less than 5 years. That's crazy.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

agracer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

The sky is not falling.

Anecdotal. I'll concede the point if you find me something staying that it is now corporate policy and tat franchisees are bound to it or meeting it as well.

You don't decide what is factual, anecdotal or otherwise; with respect to the given conversation. Period.

I've seen most walmarts advertising $15/hr in states where the covid incentives have caused a shortage of labor.
Quinn
AG
Dos Tasadores De TAMU said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

agracer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

The sky is not falling.

You don't decide what is factual, anecdotal or otherwise; with respect to the given conversation. Period.

I've seen most walmarts advertising $15/hr in states where the covid incentives have caused a shortage of labor.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/business/economy/unemployment-benefits-economy-states.html
Quote:

The cutoff of federal unemployment benefits in much of the country was meant to bring a flood of workers back to the job market. So far, that flood looks more like a trickle.

A total of 26 states, all but one with Republican governors, have moved to end some or all of the expanded unemployment benefits that have been in place since the pandemic began. The governors, along with many business owners, have argued that the benefits discourage returning to work when many employers are struggling to hire.

Several recent studies, however, have concluded that the extra payments have played only a small role in this year's labor shortages. And they found at most a modest increase in employment in states that abandoned the programs most of them in June even as millions of jobless workers have had to cut spending, potentially hurting local economies.

"The idea was that there were lots of jobs it was just that people weren't looking. That was the narrative," said Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts economist who was an author of one of the studies. "I don't think that story holds up."

Data released Friday by the Labor Department provided the latest evidence. It showed that the states that cut benefits have experienced job growth similar to and perhaps slightly slower than growth in states that retained the benefits. That was true even in the leisure and hospitality sector, where businesses have been particularly vocal in their complaints about the benefits.
Sully Dog
That doesn't make a lick of sense. If it were true then why have the top ten states for unemployement blue lockdown states?
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
agracer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

evan_aggie said:

The sky is not falling.
$17 this week where I live. Also, my normal #3 with large DP went from $9 to $13
Quinn
AG
There has been a lot of commentary that extended unemployment benefits was causing the unemployment rates to rise and that by ending unemployment benefits early, as 25 states did, we would see a bigger decrease in unemployment rates in those states. According to multiple studies/analysis, the states that ended additional benefits early did not see a greater decrease in unemployment compared to the states that kept the benefits going.
Sully Dog
I understand what you are saying. I'm saying it doesn't make sense and it seems to contradictory to the larger employment rates by state.
mazag08
AG
Government put people on their ass and they won't get off until they are absolutely certain Biden won't be sending them another check. Not only that, but I'd be curious to see how much the disability rolls have grown over the last 2 years. Under Obama, disability expanded at a historic rate and removed tons of people from the work force while cementing higher government bennies.
mwp02ag
AG
Many of them still ain't paying rent either.
YouBet
AG
Quinn said:

There has been a lot of commentary that extended unemployment benefits was causing the unemployment rates to rise and that by ending unemployment benefits early, as 25 states did, we would see a bigger decrease in unemployment rates in those states. According to multiple studies/analysis, the states that ended additional benefits early did not see a greater decrease in unemployment compared to the states that kept the benefits going.
Even if we conceded these "studies" are accurate I would say it's irrelevant. All else being equal it's better to have these people off of UBI and forced to work. The minority population we now have paying actual taxes can't foot that bill forever and if those people refuse to work then let them starve to death.
Sully Dog
mwp02ag said:

Hasn't that program ended? OR are those people just saying **** it?
mwp02ag
AG
My understanding is there are some states that are still allowing it.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
mwp02ag said:

I think this has a lot to do with it. There are still millions of federal dollars out there to assist with paying rent and utilities and eligible households can receive up to 18 months of assistance.
mwp02ag
AG
Seattle just extended the rent moratorium until 1/2022. Thread about it on F16.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle/seattle-eviction-moratorium-extended-january-2022/281-65712acd-9f00-40c7-b9f2-73d241e0d74f
Post removed:
by user
evan_aggie
AG
Scimitar said:

Quote:

My point is that she has no idea if it's transitory. She's hedging.

You do realize that analysis isn't absolute, right? Even disregarding analysis is taking a stance.

First it was settling sometime in summer 21. Then it was winter. Now it is late 22 because of unforeseen issues. You can say whatever you want, but when the Money supply increases sharply in a year putting money in peoples pockets that they can't spend on consumables until...boom.

And hey...it's fine. We were running under the 2% target for some years. So if it is 5-6% for 2 years...or more (we have no idea - the Fed) it sort of offsets it all.

LMCane
Breaking:

US Consumer prices soared 6.2% Year over Year in October,

far higher than the +5.9% YoY expected and accelerating from September's 5.4% YoY;

this is the highest print since June 1982.

www.zerohedge.com
Bonfire97
AG
LMCane said:

Breaking:

far higher than the +5.9% YoY expected and accelerating from September's 5.4% YoY;

www.zerohedge.com
The fed and crooked government have dug themselves a big hole. People are going to start boiling over with the prices they are paying for just about everything. People are going to go to boil over if they raise interest rates and tank the stock market. They are toast either way. This is going to be a real show. Time to kick back with some beer and peanuts and watch this fiasco play out.
Outdoorag011
We have SO many problems financially in this country. Whether its the government or the individual citizen, we all drank the poison. We produce nothing and buy everything. Supply chain issues have hurt so many companies/people here in the US because we produce NOTHING in this country. We are so arrogant it's unbelievable. Inflation will continue to get worse. Until they raise rates and crush the market. They tried raising rates in 2018 and couldn't even get to 3% before the Powell Put on Christmas Eve dropped the market 20%. I'm guessing we won't even be able to get back to 2% before they have to lower again considering how much more outstanding debt we have. If the dollar wasn't the reserve currency……
Sully Dog
LMCane said:

Breaking:

www.zerohedge.com
I think the producer price index is a better measure of inflation as it is broader in scope. I think it was closer to 8.6% yoy.
exp
AG
LMCane
Oldag2020 said:

Demand is temporarily outpacing our production(supply). Due to covid shut downs and supply chain disruptions. Ex. Lumber prices were inflated, now they are correcting themselves.

Once our supply chains are back up to full capacity, the added demand created by the stimulus will not cause long lasting inflation.

Our productive capacity is so high, in fact, I believe our biggest fear should be deflation, not inflation. Our productivity growth is not disappearing any time soon. The inputs to production are 1. Technological advancements and 2. Increase in labor force. Our computing power doubles every 18 months. Clearly this growth will not disappear.

It's no accident that we have continued to spend more and more throughout the last several decades with little to zero long term negative consequences.

In fact, the fed has struggled the last decade to maintain their inflation level goal of 2%. This even Despite massive spending in 2008 and artificially low interest rates.

Another reason we should not be concerned by the massive spending is that $1 in government spending = greater than $1 in gdp growth.
Gdp growth = 1/ the propensity to save
The propensity to save is currently ~ 20%
Therefore every dollar spent today grows our gdp tomorrow by $5

This $5 of gdp growth then increases tax revenue by $5.
This increase in tax revenue is used to service the debt.

Basically, we can spend as much as we want with little to zero negative consequences. Long term inflation is not on the way.

Be sure to allocate portfolios accordingly.

This has proven to be a complete lie and is some of the greatest idiocy I have ever read on the internet
LMCane
the supply chain issues are NOT THE CAUSE of high inflation.

it is one aspect of rampant increase in price - but not the only factor or even the primary factor.
Whirligigs
Where has the OP gone to update his explanation?
Bonfire97
AG

Quote:

Basically, we can spend as much as we want with little to zero negative consequences.
Wow. OK.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.