****AL West (Astros & Rangers) Genuine -- and Civil -- Discussion Thread****

33,757 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I assumed he probably would, but the timing definitely creates a unique set of circumstances to consider.
AgRyan04
It'll be interesting to see how they play it
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
bluefire579
AG
Seeing conflicting statements from the fan side about whether the appeal will wait until after the playoffs or be within 24 hours. Obviously nothing official, but assume we'll find out before game 6
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I thought it was explicitly stated that a hearing would happen within 48 hours and appeal results would be effective immediately.
Panama Red
AG
In playoffs, the appeal happens within 48 hours.

tjack16
AG

So why isn't Leclerc also being suspended for this? First pitch after Altuve HR and he goes up and in with a fastball to Dubon.

Genuine question. If Abreu's was intentional… then this had to have been
htxag09
AG
htxag09
AG
Same with them hitting Pena immediately after Chas's hr in the blowout, game 4.

That exact scenario cleared the benches in the regular season and when Astros fans said it wasn't intentional, Framber had zero control, rangers fans (and players) said zero chance it wasn't intentional…..

But Pena didn't react so nobody brought it up since. Same with dubon.
Legal Custodian
AG
tjack16 said:

So why isn't Leclerc also being suspended for this? First pitch after Altuve HR and he goes up and in with a fastball to Dubon.

If you're asking a legitimate question, because attempted murder is punished differently than actual murder.
Panama Red
AG
So then it should have been a 1 game suspension for LeClerc since attempted murder also has a punishment.
Legal Custodian
AG
Or fine if intent can be proven, yes
Farmer1906
AG
Literally Abreu is suspended for "proven intent".
Legal Custodian
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yes he is, I'm not sure your point
MAT
AG
Intent doesn't require you to be successful...
Farmer1906
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yes he is, I'm not sure your point

You can't proven intent without some sort of confession. It's just MLB's opinion. Nothing is stopping MLB. There isn't an uproar because Dubon didn't act like a nutcase.
MAT
AG
If the league is claiming "proven intent" does that mean someone corroperated his intent? Like overheard them discussing it...
MrCoachEricTaylor
It's probably because they hit Garcia (the guy that pimped the HR off of JV) in his next AB. Texas almost (didn't) hit the guy after the guy that hit the go ahead HR. One would make a lot more sense than the other. It's not that complicated.
htxag09
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

It's probably because they hit Garcia (the guy that pimped the HR off of JV) in his next AB. Texas almost (didn't) hit the guy after the guy that hit the go ahead HR. One would make a lot more sense than the other. It's not that complicated.

Ok.

Only down by 2 in the alcs. Why would you put a guy in scoring position?

Or rewind to the benches clearing in the regular season. Framber is struggling, gives up a hr, hits next batter, benches clear. In that scenario rangers said it's obvious that it was intentional.

So, yeah, it's a little more complicated than you're trying to make it.
MrCoachEricTaylor
htxag09 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Ok.

Only down by 2 in the alcs. Why would you put a guy in scoring position?

Or rewind to the benches clearing in the regular season. Framber is struggling, gives up a hr, hits next batter, benches clear. In that scenario rangers said it's obvious that it was intentional.

So, yeah, it's a little more complicated than you're trying to make it.

It's still not.. the benches cleared when Semi and Maldy got into it at home plate after Garcia's HR.

Framber (sinkerball guy) hit Semi up and in with a 4seam fastball. That's pretty evident itself. The other time Framber almost hit a guy that day was when he almost hit Lowe with a breaking ball, that's pretty clearly unintentional.

But like I said it was Garcia's next AB after the HR. And I read by a reporter that that was only the second time on the season that Abreu had hit a RH batter out of 2,000+ pitches. It's just not something that he does. MLB doesn't have to have 100% proof, they're not the court of Law. The circumstances and evidence points to "yeah, that's probably not an accident."

And the whole complaining about Dusty getting tossed, that's stupid. The umpires made their decision and Dusty wouldn't stop arguing it (I don't blame him, he's sticking up for his guy) and if you keep arguing, you get tossed.

Like I said, it's not complicated.
South Platte
Suspending Abreu is ridiculous. Eject him, don't eject him, but move on.

The problem I have with baseball is that everybody feels the need to come off the bench when there are 6 umps already in the field and nobody was doing anything other than pointing and talking. Dugouts empty, bullpens empty, it's the dumbest thing about baseball. No punches thrown.

It's way past time to for mlb to implement the NBA rule of suspending players who come off the bench for a skirmish. You don't even see benches clear when two guys are actually fighting in hockey.
htxag09
AG
I concur
ChipFTAC01
AG
South Platte said:

The problem I have with baseball is that everybody feels the need to come off the bench when there are 6 umps already in the field and nobody was doing anything other than pointing and talking. Dugouts empty, bullpens empty, it's the dumbest thing about baseball. No punches thrown.

It's way past time to for mlb to implement the NBA rule of suspending players who come off the bench for a skirmish. You don't even see benches clear when two guys are actually fighting in hockey.

Baseball "fights" are so dumb. Here comes the bullpen coming jogging in to "help".
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

South Platte said:

Baseball "fights" are so dumb. Here comes the bullpen coming jogging in to "help".
this is the height of the stupidity of it...sometimes the guys jog in literally feet apart and wait until they get to the skirmish to start pushing/jawing/etc. Just once, if they were really mad, let's see a mop-up duty guy peel off and clothesline the other team's closer
JohnnyTexAg1995
This game is insane, multiple balls from both teams have been outs and harder hit than the 2 home runs, that's baseball
Chase
AG
tjack16 said:

EDIT: I got the wrong photo from Google search -- this is Altuve but came up under Dubon. There is not an overhead view I can find of Dubon.

Your photo answers your own question. Dubom was way inside the batters box because that pitch is not nearly as far off the plate.

Pitch us still inside the frame of the catcher...that isn't way inside unless you're over the plate.

If you can't see the big difference here, I don't know what to tell you.

Dubon has to go full on Neo in Matrix to get back for a pitch maybe 6 inches off the plate and Garcia is standjng where he was with the front foot in the bucket and hit in the middle of the arm.

Legal Custodian
AG
So what is the deal with Tucker? I feel like if he was his regular season self this series would be over. Still has a great glove in RF but struggling at the plate. Did he have one of these slumps in regular season?
Chase
AG
The thing I have seen so many state about rhe intent/no intent thing is some variation of "You don't do that in this situation" and that really just an opinion being used as a fact to defend the situation.

The reality is that the Rangers should consider.not pitching to Alvarez and Altuve in any iffy situation and the Astros shouldn't pitch to Garcia. When you look at it like that, a HBP is just an intentional walk with a pain modifier. LOL

In this case, it also served to fire up the Astros and don't think for a second that Dusty didn't get himself thrown out for the same purpose.

Then let's look at the other positive for the Astros. They lose a reliever, albeit a damn good one, while the Rangers lose their most dangerous hitter and a good outfield arm. It's a trade any manager would make.

If it was intentional, mark me down as being in the camp where it would be Maldonado calling for it and, even as a Rangers fan, yiu have to admit it's a gamesmanship move that worked.
Chase
AG
Legal Custodian said:

So what is the deal with Tucker? I feel like if he was his regular season self this series would be over. Still has a great glove in RF but struggling at the plate. Did he have one of these slumps in regular season?

You could say the same about Simien...weird deal for two guys like that to both be Arctic level cold for this long.

The only thing I can think is the Playoffs just hit guys different. Things like slumps are taken to the next level mentally and physically and guys start pushing too hard and screwing up mechanics.
Ciboag96
Chase said:

tjack16 said:

Your photo answers your own question. Dubom was way inside the batters box because that pitch is not nearly as far off the plate.

Pitch us still inside the frame of the catcher...that isn't way inside unless you're over the plate.

Dubon has to go full on Neo in Matrix to get back for a pitch maybe 6 inches off the plate and Garcia is standjng where he was with the front foot in the bucket and hit in the middle of the arm.

You do realize their feet are in almost the exact location in the box.
MooreTrucker
AG
htxag09 said:

Same with them hitting Pena immediately after Chas's hr in the blowout, game 4.

That exact scenario cleared the benches in the regular season and when Astros fans said it wasn't intentional, Framber had zero control, rangers fans (and players) said zero chance it wasn't intentional…..

But Pena didn't react so nobody brought it up since. Same with dubon.
And if Garcia had just glared at Abreu and walked to first base, this thread would be a lot shorter.

MooreTrucker
AG
Chase said:

Legal Custodian said:

You could say the same about Simien...weird deal for two guys like that to both be Arctic level cold for this long.

The only thing I can think is the Playoffs just hit guys different. Things like slumps are taken to the next level mentally and physically and guys start pushing too hard and screwing up mechanics.
Seager is the one that's driving me crazy. Fantastic play in the field but zip at the plate. I haven't been able to watch all season (thanks Bally). Is he always this way or just in the postseason?
hoosierAG
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Chase said:

Legal Custodian said:

Seager is the one that's driving me crazy. Fantastic play in the field but zip at the plate. I haven't been able to watch all season (thanks Bally). Is he always this way or just in the postseason?
Go look at his numbers for the year...they were MVP caliber except he was out a stretch hurt. He's struggling/slumping now but he is by far the Rangers best player.
Panama Red
AG
If not for Shohei, Seager wins MVP and Tucker likely finishes 2nd.

Yet those two have been largely and near completely non-factors.
Chase
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Chase said:

tjack16 said:

You do realize their feet are in almost the exact location in the box.
One is standing with an open stance and the other isn't, meaning they're leaning out over the plate.

Look at the catchers glove location...all you need to know.

bearkatag15
AG
You should really use the same angle when making your argument. Dubon is set up inside the batters box about the same distance from the plate as Adolis. Abreu's pitch definitely went farther inside on Adolis than Leclerc's pitch to Dubon but lets not act like Leclerc wasn't trying to brush Dubon up and in. Same way Abreu was trying to do to Adolis. Only difference is Abreu's pitch got away from him due to a lack of control he had that inning, which was already established by walking Seager the batter before on 5 pitches.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.