****AL West (Astros & Rangers) Genuine -- and Civil -- Discussion Thread****

33,758 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure Crane would be the obstacle. Regardless of how any particular person may feel about his part in it, I'd have a hard time believing that Hinch doesn't have hard feelings over what went down from his perspective.
Farmer1906
AG
Could be both. Hinch didn't think he should have been fired. Crane didn't like being in the dark on the sign stealing.
South Platte
Farmer1906 said:

Could be both. Hinch didn't think he should have been fired. Crane didn't like being in the dark on the sign stealing.
Meanwhile Hinch is wallowing around in the middle of the weakest division in MLB. I have to think both groups would kick around the idea of getting the band back together. Doesn't sound like Houston is going to entertain the idea.
tjack16
AG
Red Sox brought Cora back right after his year long suspension and if the reports are true… he was the ring leader of the scandal. If the Red Sox can do that, the Astros could bring Hinch back.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I wouldn't think the question would be one of could they do it. It really comes down to how each side feels about it and given Crane's quotes when he fired him, it seems unlikely for either side. At least publicly, Cora leaving was a mutual decision.
MrCoachEricTaylor
tjack16 said:

Red Sox brought Cora back right after his year long suspension and if the reports are true… he was the ring leader of the scandal. If the Red Sox can do that, the Astros could bring Hinch back.

I do really admire Hinch.. he seems like a pretty genuine guy and I would believe the reports of him being against the trash cans. Wasn't he also reported to have taken a bat to the monitor in the hallway because he was against it?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MLB Trade Rumors mentioned Urquidy as a potential trade option in the offseason breakdown for the D-Backs. You guys think you're going to deal him? I don't think they really got into why they thought that.
Wabs
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

MLB Trade Rumors mentioned Urquidy as a potential trade option in the offseason breakdown for the D-Backs. You guys think you're going to deal him? I don't think they really got into why they thought that.
It comes down to what the organization thinks they will get out of McCullers and Luis Garcia. The Astros have tons of starting pitching, but alot of question marks on health. I could see Urquidy being part of a trade package for an outfielder.

ETA: How about Urquidy for Alek Thomas?
MrCoachEricTaylor
Wabs said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

It comes down to what the organization thinks they will get out of McCullers and Luis Garcia. The Astros have tons of starting pitching, but alot of question marks on health. I could see Urquidy being part of a trade package for an outfielder.

ETA: How about Urquidy for Alek Thomas?

Terrible in the field, very error-prone
SECcess12
South Platte said:

Farmer1906 said:

Meanwhile Hinch is wallowing around in the middle of the weakest division in MLB. I have to think both groups would kick around the idea of getting the band back together. Doesn't sound like Houston is going to entertain the idea.
Honestly, as an Astros fan, it is absolutely exhausting to hear non stop talk about cheating and to still have players booed and to continue to discredit our winning (including last year which is insane).

I'm ready for the fire to continue to die down, so while I would love to have him back, I just honestly want to go a different direction.
Mr Gigem
AG
There is a very real possibility that the World Series trophy can stay in Texas for 3 years in row

Might need to do a welfare check on any east coast media if that happens
tjack16
AG
Mr Gigem said:

There is a very real possibility that the World Series trophy can stay in Texas for 3 years in row

Might need to do a welfare check on any east coast media if that happens

I think it goes to an NL team next year. Likely Braves. But I think the AL Pennant stays in Texas.
Mr Gigem
AG
Maybe! Everyone thought the Braves were unstoppable until they were bounced in the NLDS
tjack16
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Maybe! Everyone thought the Braves were unstoppable until they were bounced in the NLDS

True. I just think they eventually will break through. They've had the best roster arguably in the game the past 2 seasons and will next year as well. The NL side has been so random since 2018 with wild cards/sub 90 win teams winning it but eventually that has to come to an end.
tjack16
AG

One thing fans from both sides can agree on. How in the world did the angels not go to a SINGLE playoff game with Ohtani on their roster. 6 seasons of the greatest player of our generation and potentially all time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Hell, has Trout been to the playoffs?
Michael Cera Palin
AG
One time in 2014

Growing up I can remember the Angels winning the AL West 5 times from 2004-2009, it's crazy to me how they've fallen off since then especially considering they've had Trout and now Trout + Otani. They've essentially been irrelevant since the Astros joined the division and looks like that's going to continue for a while longer with the Rangers and Astros looking loaded for at least 2 more years.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Michael Cera Palin said:

One time in 2014

Growing up I can remember the Angels winning the AL West 5 times from 2004-2009, it's crazy to me how they've fallen off since then especially considering they've had Trout and now Trout + Otani. They've essentially been irrelevant since the Astros joined the division and looks like that's going to continue for a while longer with the Rangers and Astros looking loaded for at least 2 more years.

You hate to see it.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
South Platte
Michael Cera Palin said:

One time in 2014

I'll support anything that lets Houston and Texas move out of the 8:30 and 9:00 PM games in the AL West. Expansion into SLC, Portland, El Paso, whatever.

I hated to see Oakland leave the Bay Area, but I haven't followed the story other than they couldn't figure out how to get a new stadium. I think the Giants were being d-bags about it as well. Any chance a new ownership group could go to San Jose and find a way to get a team back there?

Maybe go back to two divisions and give us more games vs. 1/2 of the AL Central. I'll take anything.
tjack16
AG

Crazy that George Springer hasn't hit one since 2020 but still tied for 3rd
Farmer1906
AG
With so many free agents (12, but really 6-8 impact ones) and a fairly high payroll (219 M) what are the offseason plans for the Rangers? I have seen projections show the Rangers with interest ("best fit") in Ohtani, Yamamoto, Hader, Monty, Imanaga, Chapman, Garver, Hicks, and more. Is ownership able to be Mets/Yankees/Padres like with a payroll to the moon?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think anyone knows for sure. People expected us to spend the last couple of years, but I don't think most saw us signing two of the major free agent shortstops and then deGrom the next year. To me the jury's out on what the limit is for Ray Davis. I think the upper end projections like signing Ohtani are crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us nab Hader and potentially retain Montgomery and Garver.
Chase
AG
Farmer1906 said:

With so many free agents (12, but really 6-8 impact ones) and a fairly high payroll (219 M) what are the offseason plans for the Rangers? I have seen projections show the Rangers with interest ("best fit") in Ohtani, Yamamoto, Hader, Monty, Imanaga, Chapman, Garver, Hicks, and more. Is ownership able to be Mets/Yankees/Padres like with a payroll to the moon?
Agreed with the poster above me - no telling what Davis is willing to spend now that he's won. Will he want to win again quickly or will he not be as happy floating large checks?

Heaney already exercised his player option and the Rangers already exercised Leclerc's club option

Outside of that, I'd say I'm really only worried about
Montgomery - Will be a lot more expensive to keep - probably takes $15-18mm a year on multi-year deal
Jankowski
Garver - injured a lot and they turned down making a qualifying offer but I think they'll still be interested

Chapman - I have a gut feel that the organization is less enamored with him at this point but we'll see.
Stratton - a possibile keep, depending on cost
Hedges - a team guy, for sure, and not expensive but also not impact

Grossman - meh -- negative WAR, too
Brad Miller - no
Martin Perez - I think they'll move on
Will Smith - not an impact
Ian Kennedy - not an impact
Odorizzi - not an impact

Farmer1906
AG
Chase said:

Farmer1906 said:

Agreed with the poster above me - no telling what Davis is willing to spend now that he's won. Will he want to win again quickly or will he not be as happy floating large checks?

Heaney already exercised his player option and the Rangers already exercised Leclerc's club option

Montgomery - Will be a lot more expensive to keep - probably takes $15-18mm a year on multi-year deal
Jankowski
Garver - injured a lot and they turned down making a qualifying offer but I think they'll still be interested

Chapman - I have a gut feel that the organization is less enamored with him at this point but we'll see.

Brad Miller - no
Odorizzi - not an impact

For example, say you keep Monty, Jankowski, & Garver. Per Sportrac's "Market Value" calculation they would get:
  • Monty - 6/110.4 M (18.4 M)
  • Jankowski - not listed but call it 1/4 M (throwing out a cheap #)
  • Garver - 3/30 M (10 M)

That moves the payroll to 251 M before addressing the bullpen in any way. You'd be hit with 2.8 M in tax bills for 2024 for first-time offenders.

If Hader is added to the mix - 5/87.7 M (17.5 M) then the payroll goes to 269 M with 7.8 M in tax penalties in 2024, again, for the first time offense.

Chase
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chase said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jankowski

Brad Miller - no
Odorizzi - not an impact

For example, say you keep Monty, Jankowski, & Garver. Per Sportrac's "Market Value" calculation they would get:
  • Monty - 6/110.4 M (18.4 M)
  • Jankowski - not listed but call it 1/4 M (throwing out a cheap #)
  • Garver - 3/30 M (10 M)

That moves the payroll to 251 M before addressing the bullpen in any way. You'd be hit with 2.8 M in tax bills for 2024 for first-time offenders.

If Hader is added to the mix - 5/87.7 M (17.5 M) then the payroll goes to 269 M with 7.8 M in tax penalties in 2024, again, for the first time offense.

I believe you're tying the old number to those additions. The current active for the Rangers is $172.8mm not $219mm.

Jank would be 2 years, $5-6mm. Let's call that + $48mm for the 3 I listed and Hader. That's $220mm or so but also only has 37 players on the payroll.

EDIT: Wrong on my part. The $172.8mm figure only includes 8 players. LOL

Projected total payroll right now is $209.8mm
Farmer1906
AG
I am going with Fangraphs Luxury Tax Payroll Estimate. It is the best I have found when it comes to payroll. The arbitration line isn't perfect yet, but estimates from MLBTradeRumors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/rangers

South Platte
Don't know much about the guy, but promoting Espada seems like a smart move. The clubhouse culture is already strong, no need to hire from the outside and change it. It's interesting that Texas interviewed him after the 2018 season but we hired Woodward instead.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Woodward was never hired to do anything but be a placeholder in my opinion. He was our Bo Porter.
agproducer
AG
Bringing this back up -- most of us on here are Astros and Rangers fans -- but how are we feeling about the Mariners?

They have a lot of good, young pitching locked up and they continue to make moves.

The Angels to me look like they are still under .500 and the A's are a doormat.

This year appears to be a 3-horse race again.
Farmer1906
AG
WS Odds (across 7 books)
Astros +750 to +1,000
Rangers +1,100 to +1,300
Mariners +1,900 to +2,200
Angels +7,500 to +18,000
As +25,000 to +50,000

AL West
Astros +110 to +140 (~45%)
Rangers +140 to +200 (~37%)
Mariners +230 to +280 (~28%)
Angels +4,000 to +5,000 (~2%)
As +15,000 to +25,000 (~0.5%)

The books believe it's a 3 horse race but there is a clear order to the 3. Things can change since FA isn't over and injuries could pop up.

The Mariners have an excellent pitching staff. They're all controllable for years to come and only 1 makes serious money. You'd think they'd build around Julio and go for it, but their ownership plans to keep payroll in the 125-145 range. They're left shuffling the deck with constant trades.
agproducer
AG
The Mariners young and controllable pitching staff could cause headaches in '25 and '26. You have to wonder at what point the Ms will go all-in.
agproducer
AG
Bump

We are fewer than 10 days away from Opening Day. How's everyone feeling?

As an Astros fan -- I'm worried about our starting pitching and middle relief. The offense should pretty good -- especially if Abreu has a bounce-back year.

Rangers fans, what is your take on your team as we near the end of ST? You have some nice young pieces with Carter and Jung. Plus, Seager, Semien and Adolis are great to watch. Are you concerned about your pitching with deGrom and Scherzer missing significant time? I'm curious for your takes as it has been shown rival fans are not allowed on the thread of the other team.

We need baseball discussion!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Rangers fan here.

I think the Rangers will have another solid season and contend for the AL West again. We lose Montgomery but have some arms that should do well. Just signed Lorenzen and Bradford pitched well some last season so he has some big league experience.

The question will be: which Scherzer, de Grom, and Mahle do we get back in July/August? I'm not pinning any hopes on any of those guys. The first few months from TJ are a crapshoot. I know Scherzer didn't have TJ but he's almost 40 now and I don't think he has much left in the tank.

What kind of injuries will we see this year from the rotation? They have some good depth, pending the return of the three mentioned above. I think the bullpen is much improved. The offense will be stellar, barring significant injuries.

Basically, don't blow 60% of the save opportunities and I think they'll have between 90 and 100 wins this season.
Double Talkin' Jive...
agproducer
AG
You guys have question marks too with pitchers coming back from injury. I guess it's the old, "We'll see."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.