2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

86,000 Views | 822 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by ADJME7002
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

agsalaska said:

Prayers for your son. Hopefully he can get back on the field this year. I will say that my son's doctor advised us not to pitch this year or next year and even not play outfield this season.

One thing I noticed this morning on Vtool when you go to Tournament Rules is the pitchsmart USA pitching guidelines for youth baseball, something we already follow. At 12 it is an 85 pitch max with 1-30 on day 1.
It is page 1, document 1. There is zero way to miss it. I do not understand why PG and USSSA do not follow suit.

https://fivetoolyouth.org/tournament-rules

Also-agree the problems in Taylor are not on PG. The problem is on Taylor. We have grass fields in Temple and in Belton and we could have played games yesterday afternoon and we had about the same amount of rain.

I appreciate the prayers. I hope the doctor has good news for him, but I am also at the point where I want to sit him until high school, either way.

Temple is a beautiful complex and ran really well. Nels is using it a lot lately.

When you say San Marcos, are y'all at Zorn or the fields off 35? That Zorn complex is awesome. I hope y'all roll through the tournament.
Temple is 10 minutes from my house too. Another big bonus. Great fields. Temple actually has several very good facililties and the best Park and Rec group in any town I have lived in.

Yes we are at Zorn. We have never been there and are really looking forward to it. So far these Vtool guys are doing right by us.

Last- I don't blame you about just sitting him til high school, especially after multiple problems. I almost sat my son this year and would have if I didnt run the team and fully trust the two coaches. They are both totally committed to arm health. The discussion on healthy arms is constant and in the open with all boys and parents. But he wouldn't have played anywhere else this year.
Baseball Is Life
agsalaska said:

Baseball Is Life said:

agsalaska said:

Prayers for your son. Hopefully he can get back on the field this year. I will say that my son's doctor advised us not to pitch this year or next year and even not play outfield this season.

One thing I noticed this morning on Vtool when you go to Tournament Rules is the pitchsmart USA pitching guidelines for youth baseball, something we already follow. At 12 it is an 85 pitch max with 1-30 on day 1.
It is page 1, document 1. There is zero way to miss it. I do not understand why PG and USSSA do not follow suit.

Also-agree the problems in Taylor are not on PG. The problem is on Taylor. We have grass fields in Temple and in Belton and we could have played games yesterday afternoon and we had about the same amount of rain.

I appreciate the prayers. I hope the doctor has good news for him, but I am also at the point where I want to sit him until high school, either way.

Temple is a beautiful complex and ran really well. Nels is using it a lot lately.

When you say San Marcos, are y'all at Zorn or the fields off 35? That Zorn complex is awesome. I hope y'all roll through the tournament.
Temple is 10 minutes from my house too. Another big bonus. Great fields. Temple actually has several very good facililties and the best Park and Rec group in any town I have lived in.

Yes we are at Zorn. We have never been there and are really looking forward to it. So far these Vtool guys are doing right by us.

Last- I don't blame you about just sitting him til high school, especially after multiple problems. I almost sat my son this year and would have if I didnt run the team and fully trust the two coaches. They are both totally committed to arm health. The discussion on healthy arms is constant and in the open with all boys and parents. But he wouldn't have played anywhere else this year.

If it gets too hot, the concessions is air conditioned. There is also a small arcade inside there as well and the kids love that.
Farmer1906
AG
My baby pitched the best game of her young life. 6 K in 4 innings across 2 games. Still winless, on a terrible team.
Baseball Is Life
agsalaska said:

Baseball Is Life said:

agsalaska said:

Well, what did you think of the Zorn complex?
clinte234
AG
Anybody on here with softball pitching advice? Starting to work with my 9 year old…but having to go off of YouTube videos for drills. Looking for basic mechanics for a newbie…thanks!
agsalaska
AG
It was great. I love places like that. They need to have a cleaning crew come through and clear out some trash in some corners but other than that it was great. In fact they did do that during the tournament as it was cleaner on Sunday than it was on Saturday. But the stands were great, fields were good and there was plenty of room.

We will absolutely go back there again.

We played really well. Went 4-1. lost in the final to a team that just has our number.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Farmer1906
AG
clinte234 said:

Anybody on here with softball pitching advice? Starting to work with my 9 year old…but having to go off of YouTube videos for drills. Looking for basic mechanics for a newbie…thanks!

As someone who knew nothing about softball pitching, I ended up finding a pitching coach to teach the basics. Then I found a better one because it was a waste of time/money after the first lesson. We could only get so much from videos.
clinte234
AG
For sure!
Baseball Is Life
agsalaska said:

It was great. I love places like that. They need to have a cleaning crew come through and clear out some trash in some corners but other than that it was great. In fact they did do that during the tournament as it was cleaner on Sunday than it was on Saturday. But the stands were great, fields were good and there was plenty of room.

We will absolutely go back there again.

We played really well. Went 4-1. lost in the final to a team that just has our number.

That is great to hear you liked it and also nice to hear you all did well.
Baseball Is Life
clinte234 said:

I would find a D-Bat around you and look for who their softball instructor is. Sometimes, they have some really good coaches, but [either way] this will be a good starting point this early into her journey.
Baseball Is Life
I really hate to over share information, but I am curious on what you all are dealing with in comparison.

We went to a well respected youth orthopedic clinic and I trust what they say. I really do. I don't want to type in and mess up all the medical jargon, but his growth plate is fragmented. They said the way the fragment is rounded, it has been like this for a few months. They also said as the growth plate closes, this fragment is likely to fuse back together.

The avulsion fracture is what you really want to avoid, which is that whole side piece coming apart. He doesn't have that.

Anyway, they are sending him to physical therapy. and will do a follow-up in June. They have cleared him to hit and even play 1st base. They stressed really making sure he warms up well and is very limited on throwing in the field, but that a little throwing won't progress the injury.

I don't have any issues letting him bat. I am still a little leery to let him play 1st or make in-game throws at this point.

I am not asking y'all to go as far as me and share X-rays, but what are y'all dealing with injury extent wise? Would you let your son play in the field with this injury?

agsalaska
AG
Quote:

I am not asking y'all to go as far as me and share X-rays, but what are y'all dealing with injury extent wise? Would you let your son play in the field with this injury?
0.0% chance. No way. If that was my son he would not play baseball this year.

I am really sorry he is dealing with that injury. That really stinks and I hope he can fully recover from it.

To answer your question, my son started throwing again in January. He had his first tournament Mar 2-3 and he played about 8 innings at 1b and 2b and had 4 ABs. Last weekend he played one full game on Saturday and two on Sunday and DHd the other two games. All field at 2b and 1b. He was not very happy about sitting out the final last Sunday but two games was enough. No way I was or his coach were going to let him play a third game.

Thats the way the entire year is going to be. Maybe next year too.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Jbob04
AG
First tournament in the books for us. Played a 5 tool tournament in Waxahachie and ended up getting 1st in 10u. Played a tough team in the championship and the boys really battled. My son had a great weekend.

We've never played a 5 tool before but the directors did everything they could to get the tournament in with all of the rain. We got our two pool play games in Saturday and they ended up finishing pool play games Sunday morning before starting bracket play.
TarponChaser
I posted about it in the Astros thread but we just got back from taking our boys to Astros spring training for their spring break. With the oldest being in 8th grade this is almost certainly the last spring break he'll get for a while because HS ball plays and practices over spring break.

Anyway, spring training was so much fun. The boy got some autographs (like Pena, Meyers, Hunter Brown, Espada, and a couple others- none of the huge names like JV, Tuve, Yordan, or Breggy) and even got to talk to the players a bit. Last Tuesday when we saw them in Jupiter vs. the Marlins our seats were immediately behind the Astros bullpen and the pitchers were like 3' away. My 13-year old told Brown that his pitching coach tells him to watch Brown's and JV's mechanics to see that big leaguers are doing what he's being coached to do. When he told Brown that, Brown asked "you throw gas?" and he got to say, "I'm 13 and touching 80" which got the nod of approval and sort of "damn son" look from Brown. Needless to say the man-child was on cloud 9. Plus, he saw Connor Greene up from Sugar Land in the pen talking curveballs with another pitcher (Scott I think) and so my boy asked him about throwing the curve better then Greene talked to him for about 5 minutes giving him tips- gonna make it a point to get out to see the Space Cowboys and try to watch him throw.

Then, our youngest is named Jake and when they were getting Meyers's autograph he's telling him, "My name is Jake too and I call you 'Jake from Rake Farm.'" which got a laugh and a high-5.

Our youngest (9) got more attention than our 13-year old. Probably because the 13-year old is like 6'1" in shoes and almost 180 and looks like he probably drove himself to spring training.

But it was a great time. Every time they turned around they were getting handed a baseball by a player or coach. I think we took 2 baseballs to get autographs and came home with like 10.

Plus, I thought it was great to be able to see the big leaguers up close in practice and doing tons of little drills and practicing the very same things their coaches are having them do and stressing. Even more, it was the clear intensity and focus of the players on doing the little, routine, fundamental things that so many kids (and even parents and coaches) dismiss as being too elementary to worry about. Didn't matter if it was just stretching and playing catch to warm up to working on fielding hops or hitting the cutoff man in situations while communicating with each other. Even on fly balls to the outfield that were clearly right at one of them you could hear them calling it. Every. Single. Time.
TarponChaser
Another spring training observation...

...Every single player is jacked. You want to get to the next level, get your ass in the weight room. I'm 100% convinced that Baseball Reference and even the official MLB rosters never update a player's height/weight after they're drafted. For example, Kyle Tucker is listed at 6'4" 199. He's 220# easy. Jake Meyers is listed as 6'0" 200 and he's probably 215. Pena is listed as 6'0" 202 and he's probably 215 as well.
agsalaska
AG
Hope everyone has a good weekend.

We are at The Ranch in Franklin for opening weekend of league. Had a great day yesterday and get two of the better teams today. It is going to be a great day.

Cru
S
Worst weather your kids have played in?

Today was it for us. 40 mph sustained winds with 65 mph gusts. Cotton field dirt storm. Lubbock.
The absolute worst.

8u
agsalaska
AG
Cru said:

Worst weather your kids have played in?

Today was it for us. 40 mph sustained winds with 65 mph gusts. Cotton field dirt storm. Lubbock.
The absolute worst.

8u

Maybe not weather, but ours was definitely the 2021 gnat invasion of Temple/Belton. Those tiny, tiny ****ers were everywhere. All the way to and through your house so of course they were unbearable at the ballpark. We played an entire five game league district tournament in it.

I felt worse for the pitchers/hitters/catchers/and umpires.
agsalaska
AG
Can someone help me out here with the PG bat rules. For some reason I always have a problem finding the general rulebook for PG

We are trying to figure out if 13u(next year) is -8 for bats. We know it is in USSSA but can't find it in PG

Thanks

Edit- NM I found it. Looks like PG is -5. Franklin is also drop 5 so there you go.
TarponChaser
agsalaska said:

Can someone help me out here with the PG bat rules. For some reason I always have a problem finding the general rulebook for PG

We are trying to figure out if 13u(next year) is -8 for bats. We know it is in USSSA but can't find it in PG

Thanks

13U is wonky just like 14U.

13U majors are required to use a -5 while AAA and AA can use a -8. Open events are -5.

14U AA and AAA can use -5 but majors have to use BBCOR.
agsalaska
AG
That's crazy.

Franklin is -5 so that's going to be our standard for next season.
Quito
AG
Not sure if this has been covered on this thread or not…tell me if I should start a new thread.

I have a 12U and a 10U. Both on major teams. My 12U is middle of the pack on his and 10U is bottom 3.

Obviously puberty is inching its way in for peers of my 12U, but he doesn't appear to be sniffing puberty (pun intended).

I know I shouldn't get wrapped around results, but curious just how much change am I about to start to see in all these kids. Will the "pecking order" completely change, mostly stay the same, completely random?

I say this after my oldest has only got 1 hit the last two weekends. He's reached on error 3 times and drawn some walks, but so far no real results considering how hard he works. He doesn't seem effected at all, but still tough to watch as a Dad.
aggielax48
AG
Tarpon is correct. However, I'm not sure I've seen any kids still swinging a -8 in 13AAA. I think most coaches "require" -5 at 13 and BBCOR at 14.
TarponChaser
aggielax48 said:

Tarpon is correct. However, I'm not sure I've seen any kids still swinging a -8 in 13AAA. I think most coaches "require" -5 at 13 and BBCOR at 14.

Obviously I can't say about what all the kids are or were swinging but I do know that nobody my boy played with in 13U was still swinging a -8. My oldest started swinging a -8 in 10U then skipped 11U to 12U and started off that season swinging a -8 (31", 23oz CAT9) but midway through 12U switched to a -5 Meta (still 31").

Even though he played 14AAA in the fall and could swing a -5 he moved up to a BBCOR. He hit for a great average but didn't have an XB hits in the fall- he hit a ton of line drives to the gaps that would have been XB or maybe even bombs with a -5 that just didn't have the juice off a BBCOR. This spring that power has returned to a large extent to the point where he's come close to having a couple bombs on the big boy fields.
Farmer1906
AG
Why swing a bbcor is you don't have to? Enjoy the massive pop while you can.
TarponChaser
Quito said:

Not sure if this has been covered on this thread or not…tell me if I should start a new thread.

I have a 12U and a 10U. Both on major teams. My 12U is middle of the pack on his and 10U is bottom 3.

Obviously puberty is inching its way in for peers of my 12U, but he doesn't appear to be sniffing puberty (pun intended).

I know I shouldn't get wrapped around results, but curious just how much change am I about to start to see in all these kids. Will the "pecking order" completely change, mostly stay the same, completely random?

I say this after my oldest has only got 1 hit the last two weekends. He's reached on error 3 times and drawn some walks, but so far no real results considering how hard he works. He doesn't seem effected at all, but still tough to watch as a Dad.
It's going to be fairly random.

There are going to be kids who have been successful because they've been bigger and stronger than everybody else since they matured earlier who don't continue to grow much (ie- peaking early) or just don't work on their craft so they get passed up as other kids who are working harder mature.

You'll also see kids, who at the risk of being an ********, are just too fat to play. They might mash and throw hard at 12U and under but they can't move at all and as they move to the bigger fields cannot field a position because they can't move. They might be able to get away with it at 13U when they're playing 54/80 but at 60/90 and 300+ fences it ain't gonna fly. Especially when they have to start swinging BBCOR.

You'll see kids who are smaller or later in maturing struggle to an extent but if they keep working and eventually grow these are often the best players by the time they're 16-. There's a kid my oldest plays with who's pretty little (like maybe 5'3" 100# at 14) but he's a great little athlete. Smooth and super coordinated. Plus, he's a bulldog who is pretty ice cold. The proverbial "low heart rate" kid who is every bit as calm in the first AB of a game as he is down 2 runs, bases loaded, and he's at the plate with a chance to win the game. But, his dad is 6'4" and even though his mom is maybe 5'4", he'll probably end up 5'11" and if he does he can be a D1 MIF.

Then there are kids like my oldest- he's super young for his grade. He won't be 14 until July but is in 8th grade but it playing 14U where it's not infrequent that he's playing kids who were held back and are already 15. He's always been a bigger kid but only recently (last 6 months or so) has he really started to mature and catch up. In 12U when we had him skip over 11U to get on grade level he was pretty overmatched because, despite being a big, strong kid he wasn't as physically mature as a lot of kids - a 5'6" 150# 11-year old who hasn't come close to hitting puberty is a whole lot different than a kid who might be 5'3" 120 that has hit puberty. But he's now that he's started to mature (he's still just in early puberty and hasn't had a growth spurt yet) and is nearly 6'0" and about 175# who has worked his ass off has caught and surpassed a whole lot of kids who were bigger & stronger earlier.

He's still not as skilled, especially in the field, as a lot of kids he's playing with but he's still well above average in the field. Where he struggles at times is his mental approach and confidence. He's still a little immature relative to other kids in his grade who are a year or more older and some lingering confidence issues from when he was younger.

The point with him though as you're starting to see where the physical talent, hard work, and skill development are heading.

By 15U for sure you'll see things shake out a lot but it still won't be complete.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Because he's developing towards more than just hitting meaningless nukes at 13.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why isn't meaningless? Hitting a nuke is some of the most fun you can have playing ball.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why isn't meaningless? Hitting a nuke is one of the most fun you can have playing ball.
Because his goal isn't to be the best at 13 but to play D1.
Cru
S
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why isn't meaningless? Hitting a nuke is one of the most fun you can have playing ball.
Because his goal isn't to be the best at 13 but to play D1.

Educate me please. How does swinging a BBCOR in a game at that age get one closer to a D1 scholly?
aggielax48
AG
You don't want to try and enter high school ball having never swung a BBCOR before.
Cru
S
aggielax48 said:

You don't want to try and enter high school ball having never swung a BBCOR before.

Why? What does it change about a kid's swing?
Quito
AG
From what I remember and what I've heard, kids that don't know and understand proper mechanics of a swing will find themselves flying out a lot with BBCOR. Those that don't use their core and stay connected.

Those with sub par swings, but great drop 5 bats will have a tougher time once the bat doesn't overcome the inefficiencies.

How similar is BBCOR to wood. We use wood for BP to get the feel of not hitting the sweet spot.
TarponChaser
Cru said:

aggielax48 said:

Why? What does it change about a kid's swing?

With the -5, -8, and -10 you can have a bad swing and mis-hit a ball and still mash. So kids develop poor swings but think they're doing well because the bat is doing the work.

BBCOR and wood take that away for the most part unless you're freakishly strong.

It's exceedingly common to see kids hitting nukes with a -5 suddenly struggle to get it much out of the infield with a BBCOR.
Cru
S
Gotcha.

So why make him do that in games? Why not just practice and let him hit a juiced bat in games? Best of both worlds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.