2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

85,999 Views | 822 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by ADJME7002
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If your sons arm hurts from pitching, he should not be playing catcher.

Rest his arm
TarponChaser
BMX Bandit said:

If your sons arm hurts from pitching, he should not be playing catcher.

Rest his arm

Yeah, I completely missed that the kid still caught with his arm bothering him. Shut him down immediately and get to an ortho.
PhatMack19
AG
Good message to share with your kids. I see so many kids just wasting their time on their tee work. Hit off a tee with a purpose!

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/QUJFmVRf6b2HUmms/?mibextid=xCPwDs
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

Good message to share with your kids. I see so many kids just wasting their time on their tee work. Hit off a tee with a purpose!

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/QUJFmVRf6b2HUmms/?mibextid=xCPwDs

100%

Great message. Getting kids to understand the need to be intentional and every rep matters. Everything has a purpose. Sometimes that purpose is just goofing off and having fun but getting kids to understand that whether it's tee work or short-hop drills or just playing catch has a purpose and to work on something is huge.

Another video in a similar vein: HCU coach on intent and attitude
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
We have an appointment with an Ortho and imaging scheduled. We shut-down his arm immediately (from all sports activities) when he first mentioned pain/discomfort.

To clarify, the discomfort did not show up until a few days after the tournament (the first practice following). He did not catch (or pitch or play) with any complaints about pain or discomfort. On the "bright side," the pain seems to be focused on the upper side of the forearm muscle and not at the inner elbow. Regardless, he has been delegated to pinch-runner in practice until the Good Doc says otherwise.
My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
dummble
AG
where are you located? There is a pretty active select facebook group in Houston.
Farmer1906
AG
Woodlands.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Woodlands.

You're in the Woodlands and just moving to travel softball at 8U? Forget it man. She's so far behind now she'll never catch up. Might was well stick her in the flag corps now. If you don't stick a softball in her crib and start playing catch as soon as she can sit up you're screwed.
dummble
AG
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3172014836208717/

People post tryouts, or requests for teams

We are still in rec, but second hand it seems to be pretty useful to find out what teams are in your area at least.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Woodlands.

You're in the Woodlands and just moving to travel softball at 8U? Forget it man. She's so far behind now she'll never catch up. Might was well stick her in the flag corps now. If you don't stick a softball in her crib and start playing catch as soon as she can sit up you're screwed.
I knew it.

We found a few tryouts/open practices. Made one and didn't the other. We decided to hold off until we could find a team a little closer to home. The fact she's wanting to do it and is not outclassed is fun as a parent.
agsalaska
AG
I got that but can see how someone reading your post might have misinterpreted. Thanks for clarifying.

I would think the upper side of his forearm and not on the inner side of his elbow is good news. Hopefully it is just a bit of tendinitis and he will be back out quickly.

Keep us updated
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
Update on my 11 y.o.

The Ortho (Dr. Conway at TMC) cleared him of any growth plate issues, stress fractures, or structural damage. Seems to be just inflammation. One more week off and he's cleared to start light throwing. About as good of a diagnosis as we could hope for.
agsalaska
AG
That is fantastic news. Been thinking about him.

My son goes back to the Ortho Friday and should be cleared for the season as long as we take it easy.

Let's gooo!!!!!
Chris98
AG
It just blows my mind of the number of arm injuries, in youth baseball (my son included). "Back in the days", there was nowhere near the number of long term/ season ending arm injuries in youth ball. My son, a senior in high school, has at least 4 friends/ teammates that have had TJ surgery. Heavy weights at early age, playing year round, etc. are all a culprit. Understand that youth tourneys are big business, but hopefully, someday, folks realize that they're doing these youth players much more harm than good playing these ludicrous schedules/ work out regimens.
Farmer1906
AG
If you think this is too much then don't see what Japan does for their training.

Has there been any link because weights on TJ? Donyou just think people are bigger, stronger, etc so they put more stress on the arm.
Chris98
AG
Read "The Arm" by Jeff Passan
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
How's the boy doing?

My kiddo started tossing/throwing (lightly) with zero issues, knock on wood. He's bummed he won't be catching during the NIT this weekend. He'll likely play some at 2nd base.
agsalaska
AG
C.C. Bay Ag said:

How's the boy doing?

My kiddo started tossing/throwing (lightly) with zero issues, knock on wood. He's bummed he won't be catching during the NIT this weekend. He'll likely play some at 2nd base.
That's good news. Hopefully he is back at catcher soon.

My son was cleared to play by his doctor on Friday. He can play all he wants in the infield but no P, C, or OF. Honestly he is over not being able to pitch this season. He wants to be a field player in the future anyway. And it sucks not being able to play OF. We rotate all of our boys through the OF which means he will see a lot more bench than he is used too. But that's ok too. He will be at 2b for most of the season.

We had a scrimmage on Sunday and he threw a ball from 2b to home as hard as he could and it scared me to death. First time he had done that since last June. But he felt no pain and is enjoying baseball again.

Good luck this weekend. We are in Waco playing USSSA 12u AAA, then Austin PG, then Franklin.
TarponChaser
Crappy first weekend of baseball for us.

Our youngest came down with strep throat on Friday and had to miss the first tournament with his new team. But evidently his team hit well and pitched well but forgot how to play defense. One of the other dads is a good friend as his oldest boy plays 14U and goes to the same middle school with my oldest and he said it was very surprising because they were excellent on D all fall. Maybe just some rust and nerves for the first weekend out.

And I hate to say it this way but our oldest's team did terrible but he did pretty well individually. He was hitting cleanup and only got 5 PAs in 3 games, that's how bad the rest of the lineup was. They scored 5 runs in 3 games. He went 3-4 with a BB and the one time he got out he hit a shot that went to the track on a 315' fence with a BBCOR into a 25mph wind. His defense was good- only played first because he pitched and only had to make a few routing plays. But there were some glaring issues on defense with multiple errors on routine plays and getting vapor-lock where kids just didn't know the situation and blew plays- like another kid was playing first and we had 1st & 2nd with 1 out, a grounder was hit to him which took him towards first but instead of taking the out at first and trying to go 3-6 for the DP or at least getting the out at 1st he airmails the throw to 2nd into LF and then we're at bases loaded with only one out. His pitching was mediocre and got roughed up a little- he couldn't locate his curveball so kids were sitting on the fastball.

Oh well, nowhere to go but up.
aggielax48
AG
My son had a similar weekend in 13AAA. Only scored 6 runs in three games. Turns out they had a tough draw, playing against the Champion and Runner-up in pool play. They hung with the eventual champ, only losing 2-1. My son pitched 3 no-hit innings only giving up 1 unearned run on Sunday. He left the game leading 4-1, but they managed to turn into a walk and error machine and ultimately lost 7-4.
TarponChaser
aggielax48 said:

My son had a similar weekend in 13AAA. Only scored 6 runs in three games. Turns out they had a tough draw, playing against the Champion and Runner-up in pool play. They hung with the eventual champ, only losing 2-1. My son pitched 3 no-hit innings only giving up 1 unearned run on Sunday. He left the game leading 4-1, but they managed to turn into a walk and error machine and ultimately lost 7-4.

We had a moderately tough draw but nowhere close to as tough as we made it look.

It was just bad baseball.
Bassmaster
AG
My son was finally back after missing all fall with a broken clavicle. First tournament with his new team and he had the best tournament he has ever had. 5-6 with 2 doubles and 3 walks. 1 swing and miss all weekend. Team was up and down and went 2-2. That is respectable in 12u major, but they completely crapped the bed in the two games they lost to comparable teams. We avoided Banditos-Deleon luckily. I was watching them on the field next to us and kid was throwing 78 from 50 feet. You can barely even see the ball. On to the NIT this weekend. 3 of our 4 pool games are against nationally ranked teams. Should be fun!
Jbob04
AG
Had our first scrimmage last night against a dang good AAA team. They beat us but we got some good work in and faced some seriously good pitching. First tournament for us isn't until March 16-17. Good luck to everyone this spring season.
PhatMack19
AG
#Houston1000 roll call. We are at Dianonds at Daily Park for 11major. Really nice complex

Dr. Doctor
AG
Playing in the Houston super NIT as 10U major.

Hopefully playing tomorrow.

~egon
JmacAg07
AG
We won the 9U AAA Super NIT Championship Bracket in pretty convincing fashion, hopefully looking forward to moving to 9U Major in our next tournament.

Our boys played excellent defense making a bunch of incredible plays, hit the snot out of the ball, and had a ton of fun.

Travel ball gets a lot of bad press out there, but when your son hits the walk off double to give your team the run-rule in the championship, and his first thought is to run off the field and hug dad in the first base coaches box, it's why they play the game. I'll have that memory forever.

Good luck to all those still playing today!
agsalaska
AG
We didn't go to Houston this week since we are playing four times in FAranklin, once in Conroe, and once in CS. We played a four team AAA tournament in Waco to start the year. 0-2 in pool play which since its a four team tournament was really just fighting for batting last on Sunday.

2-0 yesterday and the win.

My son played his first baseball in the field since early June and the excitement literally overwhelmed him to the point that he started getting emotional like he did when he was 8. Made an error and almost cried. Grounded out to 2nd and almost cried, etc. Sunday he got all that under control. After we were done coach had the 'we are going to protect your arm at all costs this year so just have fun' conversation and he understands.

On a side note, those small tournaments with all good teams are the best. I would do it like that every week if I could. All four of those teams were high AAA lower major type teams and any of them could have won it. The pitching on Sunday was really, really good.
PhatMack19
AG
Chris98 said:

It just blows my mind of the number of arm injuries, in youth baseball (my son included). "Back in the days", there was nowhere near the number of long term/ season ending arm injuries in youth ball. My son, a senior in high school, has at least 4 friends/ teammates that have had TJ surgery. Heavy weights at early age, playing year round, etc. are all a culprit. Understand that youth tourneys are big business, but hopefully, someday, folks realize that they're doing these youth players much more harm than good playing these ludicrous schedules/ work out regimens.

"Back in the day" kids actually played outside all day everyday. My kids play more games than we ever did, but no way they are outside playing as much as we were. Sitting inside on the Xbox all day then trying to ramp up for weekend tourneys will lead to more injuries in my non medical opinion.

Select also gets blamed for killing Little League, but they don't mention that half the kids in LL can't throw or catch. I saw an 11 yr old last night that had his glove on the wrong hand out in the field. That made me sad, but it's not the kids fault. That's 100% on the parents. Get outside and play with your kids!
agsalaska
AG
The biggest culprit by far is trying to play four-six games in a weekend with 9-10 players. Then doing it over and over. It is impossible to do it safely no matter how you try to set it up.

We played our first with 12 last weekend, won the tournament, had 12 happy kids and 24 happy parents. Everyone understands why we do it.

They would fix a LOT of problems if they required coaches to carry more kids and put more limitations on pitching/catching.

Edit to add, we are playing in an 18 team tournament this weekend which is also just stupid. There should NEVER be a situation where kids play more than three games in a day or have more than a one game break.
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

Chris98 said:

"Back in the day" kids actually played outside all day everyday. My kids play more games than we ever did, but no way they are outside playing as much as we were. Sitting inside on the Xbox all day then trying to ramp up for weekend tourneys will lead to more injuries in my non medical opinion.

Select also gets blamed for killing Little League, but they don't mention that half the kids in LL can't throw or catch. I saw an 11 yr old last night that had his glove on the wrong hand out in the field. That made me sad, but it's not the kids fault. That's 100% on the parents. Get outside and play with your kids!

There's also a lot of evidence pointing to kids learning to throw harder than before at a younger age before their bodies are mature enough to handle the stress on the joints.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I follow Tom House's maxim about how kids today "pitch too much but don't throw enough." Not necessarily a baseball but throw every day. And not just a baseball- throw a football, throw full-court passes with a basketball, throw rocks. Just throw. Not necessarily full intensity either. But throwing more builds up the muscles to support and protect the joints. So it's not really playing year round, it's pitching year round because "back in the day" we went from football season throwing a football every day, to basketball & track where we still threw something almost every day, to baseball season where we threw every day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And you'll have to define "heavy weights at a young age" because in my personal experience and what I've seen in research is that kids who lift are far less likely to have arm trouble. Plus, if you're with a good org they'll teach and stress arm care. They learn that after they pitch they need to run, stretch, and lift weights. The old conventional wisdom about icing an arm and resting is long-gone. After a kid pitches a decent amount he needs to run, do his bands, stretch, and do moderate weights in lifts that specifically target the lats, triceps, and shoulders because those are the muscles that stretch out when throwing and lifting helps them recover.
agsalaska
AG
Give me a little rope here.

We were set for 12u Open Austin PG with a terrible 8am draw against the two toughest teams in the tournament. And we were ready.

Tournament canceled. WTF you mean canceled? I have farmer relatives within 20 miles of Taylor who openly celebrate good rain and this morning they didn't even mention rain. But apparently between 5-6am Taylor got .10 inches and cancelled the tourney....... One day Taylor is going to half to decide if they want people in their little town or not. They are known for this BS and it affected over 350 players all 11 and 12. Total BS.

We got lucky and 7 of the 18 teams picked up with Vtool in San Marcos and it's a go for tomorrow. 13 teams and should be a blast of a weekend.

Good luck everyone!!
Baseball Is Life
agsalaska said:

Give me a little rope here.

We were set for 12u Open Austin PG with a terrible 8am draw against the two toughest teams in the tournament. And we were ready.

Tournament canceled. WTF you mean canceled? I have farmer relatives within 20 miles of Taylor who openly celebrate good rain and this morning they didn't even mention rain. But apparently between 5-6am Taylor got .10 inches and cancelled the tourney....... One day Taylor is going to half to decide if they want people in their little town or not. They are known for this BS and it affected over 350 players all 11 and 12. Total BS.

We got lucky and 7 of the 18 teams picked up with Vtool in San Marcos and it's a go for tomorrow. 13 teams and should be a blast of a weekend.

Good luck everyone!!

That isn't on Nels or PG. This is 100% on Travis and Williamson County. It used to be NEM and East Metro that would shut down with a drop of rain, and then Williamson County got soft as well. Taylor and Old Settlers are just as bad now. I have seen parents ran off, trying to work the fields, when the county refused to do so. It's a joke. A lot of people like to crap all over Field of Dreams and Blackstar, but I have only seen one tournament canceled at those two venues, combined. I have never seen FOD canceled, and the one time Blackstar was canceled, it was because the parking lot was flooded.

At least Old Settlers and Taylor keeps up their fields. NEM should never be shut down, as their fields are trash, never worked and can't be damaged.

Baseball Is Life
And I will add my son to the growing list of LLE/UCL injuries in this thread.

He could throw 50+ MPH at 8 years old and was abused at 9u and 10u. I know I brought up something on this thread, but USSSA pitch/inning counts are awful. I wish the Austin area would have always been ran via PG. Yes, this is on me as well. As my wife told me, I should have said something at some point.

Anyway, I think it was the 11u fall season. Covid and everything has hit and we have to practice where we can, which was a tiny LL field, that was hidden and never used. The coach brings out his 14u majors son to practice with us. My son gets a hit and is running the bases. This 14u majors kid is a lefty, and ropes a line drive that hits my son (in his pithing elbow) taking his lead at 1st, on these tiny fields. We take him to the ortho and nothing is broken, but the doctor says there is formation of LL elbow and he is being overused. I cut out all of the lessons (in-season) and really try to watch over his usage more closely.

Everything goes well for a long time....We got with a new team last fall. These coaches didn't abuse the kids on the mound, but the practice wasn't good. They took every catcher, put them in a group. They took everyone else and put them in RF. This was on a massive HS field for this 13u team as well. The catchers would throw down to 1st, 2nd and 3rd for an hour. The OF people would throw to 2nd for an hour. After that, they would come in and run live ABs and field their positions. So,, my son went from an hour of firing the ball in from right, to pitching, then to pitching in tournaments.

His elbow gave out last October and we sat him out for four months. We didn't pick-up a baseball or a bat, we also didn't take him back to the doctor. I was thinking four months off and him feeling good, he was ready to go. We joined another team and he had a great start to this spring season. He has only thrown 3 innings so far since being back, but hurt his elbow pitching the last tournament, which was weeks ago. The coach put him at 1b after he got off the mound sore and he had to make a throw to 3rd, which he said popped something in his elbow.

We finally got through all the insurance stuff for the referral this week. We took him to his primary and she said she wasn't a specialist, but that his elbow was still swollen three weeks later and that he needs to be shut down from all activities. We aren't doing baseball, but she doesn't want him doing anything until the specialist does an MRI and X-Ray. We finally have the referral appointment setup.

I am drinking a little bit, so please excuse any errors. Also, any prayers for him are appreciated. I hope y'all have a great weekend.

agsalaska
AG
Prayers for your son. Hopefully he can get back on the field this year. I will say that my son's doctor advised us not to pitch this year or next year and even not play outfield this season.

One thing I noticed this morning on Vtool when you go to Tournament Rules is the pitchsmart USA pitching guidelines for youth baseball, something we already follow. At 12 it is an 85 pitch max with 1-30 on day 1.
It is page 1, document 1. There is zero way to miss it. I do not understand why PG and USSSA do not follow suit.

https://fivetoolyouth.org/tournament-rules

Also-agree the problems in Taylor are not on PG. The problem is on Taylor. We have grass fields in Temple and in Belton and we could have played games yesterday afternoon and we had about the same amount of rain.
Baseball Is Life
agsalaska said:

Prayers for your son. Hopefully he can get back on the field this year. I will say that my son's doctor advised us not to pitch this year or next year and even not play outfield this season.

One thing I noticed this morning on Vtool when you go to Tournament Rules is the pitchsmart USA pitching guidelines for youth baseball, something we already follow. At 12 it is an 85 pitch max with 1-30 on day 1.
It is page 1, document 1. There is zero way to miss it. I do not understand why PG and USSSA do not follow suit.

https://fivetoolyouth.org/tournament-rules

Also-agree the problems in Taylor are not on PG. The problem is on Taylor. We have grass fields in Temple and in Belton and we could have played games yesterday afternoon and we had about the same amount of rain.

I appreciate the prayers. I hope the doctor has good news for him, but I am also at the point where I want to sit him until high school, either way.

Temple is a beautiful complex and ran really well. Nels is using it a lot lately.

When you say San Marcos, are y'all at Zorn or the fields off 35? That Zorn complex is awesome. I hope y'all roll through the tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.