Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

OL

10,869 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Azeew
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fran's 2006 team averaged 206 yards rushing per game

the OL was really good that year
Bill Superman
AG
W said:

Who cares, we sucked. That's what you'll get when you can't throw the ball.

I was referring to Fran's overall coaching and scheme which was garbage.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Bill Superman said:

W said:

Crazy thing was in '06 we were 3 plays from 12-0. I sound like a Jimbo or Sherman fan boy. But we were close that year, perhaps fools gold as the Big 12 was weak that year.
greg.w.h
AG
Fran's offense worked fine in the SEC…
Hubert J. Farnsworth
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Bill Superman said:

W said:

Crazy thing was in '06 we were 3 plays from 12-0. I sound like a Jimbo or Sherman fan boy. But we were close that year, perhaps fools gold as the Big 12 was weak that year.

Judging by the bowl game against Cal, that team would have gotten slaughtered in a big bowl game had they won those close games. That team was definitely fools gold. There were only 2 ranked teams in the conference at the end of the season, being OU at #11 and the sips at #13. We talk about those close losses that year, but there were also some very close wins, against teams like Army and Kansas, that could have went the other way.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
greg.w.h said:

Fran's offense worked fine in the SEC…
Fran's offense was going in the wrong direction. It started as the spread option and then every year moved more and more towards the I-formation power option. One of the most absurd coaching decisions, of course it happened at A&M. I don't know what we do as an organization that makes coaches come in here and hunker down and become so stubborn instead of being creative and outside the box. All four coaches after RC had offenses that regressed as their tenure went on in both scheme and innovation.
halfastros81
AG
Hellfire. Posted on wrong thread!
TxAg76
AG
Bill Superman said:

We will live and die this season by our O Line play.

Isn't this every season?
Like, football 101?
Bill Superman
AG
TxAg76 said:

Bill Superman said:

We will live and die this season by our O Line play.

Isn't this every season?
Like, football 101?
Apparently not for the previous regime.
AWP 97
AG
33 said:

Bill Superman said:

We will live AND die this season by our O Line play.
Schrödinger's OL

Good point. If we never watch or read about A&M football this year, we can think of the OL as being both good or bad in 2024.
WC94
AG
He ranked 21st in 2022 NCAA's. Don't see him competing in 2023. If he's not top 5 this year, he needs to hang it up and focus on football. Or hang it up and focus on Track.
Walton2016
AG
This year's track record for Bryce... Slow Regression.

https://www.athletic.net/athlete/13025567/track-and-field/collegiate
WhiteYaloo
Jimbo's staff did a poor job recruiting o-line. O/oline should be priority.
74AnimalA
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Quote:

Elko's comment on the OL today spoke volumes to me after watching our guys block ghosts as blitzers ran right by them. "Our focus is a lot less on cohesiveness and more on strain along the OL. We want to see kids play harder and block better."

I found that comment very interesting. It sounds like they are trying to coach out some bad habits leftover from Addazio. I also like how their focus isn't on cohesiveness or "gelling" right now and is instead on making them better blockers. Under Jimbo it always seemed like he talked a lot about the "gelling" aspect. Maybe they should have been more focused on making them better blockers.
We sometimes call those TRAINING SCARS. The Bad Habits that are engrained from past training. They are not going to go away after 15 practices.

I suspect that the OL players are going to have plenty of time to think about what just happened in Spring Camp. And often the things that couldn't be accomplished in the recent class, seem to get fixed quickly in the next class. (Or in this case summer camp, fall preseason whatever it's called these days.)

I've said the maroon Goons are going to be the key to our success for many years. The healthy Mond thing was also the result of the O-Line playing together for like 4 years. Their technique wasn't the finest, but those guys worked to complement each other. There are far too many teams that can rebuild an O-line in a year. It's time we did.
vander54
S
WhiteYaloo said:

Not true. Jimbo's recruiting was great at nearly every position. Now development that's a completely different outcome.
World's worst proofreader
NyAggie
AG
vander54 said:

WhiteYaloo said:

Not true. Jimbo's recruiting was great at nearly every position. Now development that's a completely different outcome.

Jimbos overall recruiting was great, but he left some positions under recruited while others were over recruited

Personally, I think he did a decent job recruiting the oline: there's talent there though he left the tackle position a little thin, but the offensive scheme and oline coaching were abysmal

I'm predicting Oline to be our most improved unit this season with defensive backs right there as well

P.U.T.U
AG
vander54 said:

WhiteYaloo said:

Except at OT where he would always go after the best OT, miss, and have no depth. Same as LB, CB we continuously had no depth. He did the same as Sumlin did and went after stars and not of what was needed
Azeew
Gyles Marrett said:

I forgot who on TA radio said it yesterday but someone mentioned Foster should still be the starting center. With him missing all spring the only way I'd agree with that is if everyone else we try at center completely sucks. I've seen nothing out of his play that makes me think he can miss spring and still be our best option at center...but we will see.

You are correct. The guy we had sucked. I hope the next guy up doesn't suck more.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.