Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

32,275 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by bigtruckguy3500
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
K Bo said:

We're heading to CO (just S of Breckinridge) this week and I couldn't be more excited about running while there.
There's a nice paved trail from Breck to Frisco. Careful though because it's a slight downhill going out, you'll likely feel the climb on the way back.
Swarely
Little cooler today. Led to 20 seconds a mile off of my pace from last week.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Yeah, ran yesterday morning and there was even a nice breeze at 71 degrees. Didn't set out to PR, but ended up PR'ing a 6 mile run at an 8:20 pace.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
'03ag
Was able to do 3 miles without stopping this morning. For me this is game on now. Just have to manage my joints and keep cross training.

Just been needing to get my lungs to a point where I could manage a pace and slog through it. I'm slow as hell and that's annoying, but I'll figure it out
Swarely
Dropping temps at 7 pm means my pace has dropped 21 secs/mile. Looking forward to the little cool front next week.
Rule Number 32
AG
'03ag said:

Was able to do 3 miles without stopping this morning. For me this is game on now. Just have to manage my joints and keep cross training.

Just been needing to get my lungs to a point where I could manage a pace and slog through it. I'm slow as hell and that's annoying, but I'll figure it out
Right there with you! Been using the BCS 10k as an excuse to get my brain motivated enough to run on a regular basis and following a 10k training program. I ran a 5k non-stop last Sunday for the first time in over 20 years and it felt like quite the accomplishment. I also felt like I was dying the last 1/4 mile or so. I am crazy slow but finished at around 11min/mile. Keep it up!

Trying to decide if I am going to keep pushing through the training in an attempt at the 10k, but as of now leaning towards no. This weekend's long run is 4 miles nonstop.

Did 2.5 miles nonstop yesterday at lunch and felt like I was going to die. Running in the heat was not fun. The last few weeks I have been running either at 5:30AM or 9PM to avoid the heat. Going to go back to that schedule...
aggiespartan
AG
If you want to do the 10k, you can definitely do it. Also, nobody cares if you take a few walk breaks.
'03ag
Go!
ptothemo
AG
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/38339369/11000-runners-dqd-mexico-city-marathon-per-report

I read the headline and thought that there must have been bad course markings or a really exaggerated episode of follow the leader. It made me wonder why they would DQ so many people if that was the case.

Welp, it seems like just that many people tried to cheat in some way. I didn't know about the history of DQ's in this race, but they seem to have found a new high (low?).
Swarely
I read yesterday that they DQ'd 6,000 in 2018 as well.

Reading marathon investigations about the number of people that snuck into/cheated at Boston this year- they don't care that it isn't official as long as they get their medal to show friends.
Kyle98
AG
Running my first marathon in November in Athens. Just completed week 9 of an 18 week program some friends who run several a year put together for me. Going good so far. Some slight knee pain, but new shoes seem to have fixed that. I'm struggling with slowing down to keep my HR down, but I've been getting better over the last few weeks.

I don't have a time goal other than finishing.
ptothemo
AG
Athens as in Texas, Georgia, or Greece? Pretty big difference as you slide on that scale.
Kyle98
AG
ptothemo said:

Athens as in Texas, Georgia, or Greece? Pretty big difference as you slide on that scale.

Greece.
bert harbinson
AG
Nice! Best of luck with the training.
aggiespartan
AG
What shoes are you guys racing in? The plated shoes don't work very well for me.
Swarely
Before moving to vaporflys I raced in New Balance Fresh Foam Beacons. I think they discontinued them, but you might be able to find them on Joes' New Balance Outlet.
Sweep4-2
A pair of Saucony Endorphin Pro 2's generally (carbon plate). But for longer distances I sometimes wear my Endorphin Speed 3's (plated, but not carbon) which are a little more comfortable/flexible.

Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
aggiespartan
AG
Tried those and they didn't work for me. I might have to stick with my hoka Machs but I wanted a little more cushion
Ragoo
AG
Have you tried the Rincon 3?
aggiespartan
AG
Yea I have a pair of rincons but I don't generally run long distances in them. I'd probably run a half in them, but I'm looking for something for a marathon.
NoahAg
aggiespartan said:

Yea I have a pair of rincons but I don't generally run long distances in them. I'd probably run a half in them, but I'm looking for something for a marathon.
What don't you like about marathoning in them? I've done a bunch of marathons in the 1 and 2 and loved them.
aggiespartan
AG
NoahAg said:

aggiespartan said:

What don't you like about marathoning in them? I've done a bunch of marathons in the 1 and 2 and loved them.
I don't know. I guess I've always just figured that since it's a shoe that generally lasts for less miles a longer race wouldn't be great in them? That's really my only reasoning.
aggiespartan
AG
About two weeks out from my next marathon. Had a meeting with a nutritionist today. I've probably been underfueling a little bit right before and during, but not terribly bad. We talked a little bit about daily intake, but overall it was pretty interesting. In general I've been pretty close to where I need to be, but on the low side. Time to eat!
Sweep4-2
Anyone have experience with the On brand (and in particular with the Cloudmonster)? I let the running store salesperson talk me into buying a pair, despite my considering them a gimmicky shoe. Put in two 5-mile runs at a leisurely pace and they seem fine.

Just curious what experiences have been like with durability, longer distance comfort, etc. (I realize it's a little late to ask since I already bought them haha).
aggiespartan
AG
My only experience with them is watching reviews of them online. A lot of reviews of them aren't that good, but I know a couple of people that like them. I had a pair of ON that I used for just general use and they felt ok, but their durability was pretty low.
AggieOO
I have no first hand experience, but know a number of people who like them road only. On trail,they are known to pick up every rock you step on.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, I'm definitely stepping outside my comfort zone (Saucony), so will see. The Cloudmonsters are the first On shoe that seems to get good reviews across the board, but who knows.

If y'all see a thread later saying "Never On!", you'll know how it turned out.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I check the subreddit r/runningshoegeek frequently, and seems most people have pretty low to lukewarm opinions of them and the ON brand in general. I think they are probably fine, but would be better off with the typical brands that are recommended.

I just bought a pair of Pegasus 40s and Ghost 15s to rotate, my current road shoes are used and abused.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiespartan
AG
Twin Cities Marathon canceled this morning (day of the race) for weather conditions that have been forecast all week. Sucks for everyone that prepared and spent money at the expo.
The Pilot
AG
aggiespartan said:

Twin Cities Marathon canceled this morning (day of the race) for weather conditions that have been forecast all week. Sucks for everyone that prepared and spent money at the expo.

Tough when to call these races. if you are alluding that they should have cancelled a few days in advance you'll get people saying that they should wait in hopes that the forecast changes.
aggiespartan
AG
That's probably true, but as someone that does some amount of traveling for most of my races, I'd be pretty angry.
Swarely
I get that. But, apparently the sent out an email last night saying it was still on. I had some thing like this happen two years ago for the NYC triathlon. It's incredibly frustrating.
aggiespartan
AG
I've seen quite a few people say they were going to go out and run it unsupported.
Ragoo
AG
Sounds like ****ty leadership

Also the high is 85F
AggieOO
The austin rogue group did about 21 miles of the course.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.