Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

32,258 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by bigtruckguy3500
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you by any chance using cycling HR zones for running?

Since you said you have a Fenix, I would recommend doing a doing a threshold test and changing your heart rate zones to be based on threshold. It will automatically update them as you get fitter. Best to do this with a chest strap to be as accurate as possible.
htxag09
AG
Max zone 2 of 152 seems really high to me.

Mine is just default from Garmin, but like 133. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about max HR, though....
'03ag
I'm just going off the charts I've seen on running sites.
aggiespartan
AG
I think most people that actually do the calculations find that their zones are much different than the the charts.
'03ag
This is what I've been trying to figure out. What calculations are you talking about? Everything I can find is designed to determine your max HR(in various ways) and then base the zones on some percentage of that(the percentages vary). I can't find anything about testing or calculating zone 2(or any zone) directly.

I think I'm pretty close estimating MHR at 184. moving a few in either direction isn't going to impact zones that much.
aggiespartan
AG
To find my max, I ran 3 miles. 2 mile warmup and the last mile ran progressively harder until going all out at the end. Looked at the data and took my max heart rate from that.

If you good heart rate zone calculator or something to that effect, you'll find calculators where you put in your max and resting heart rate and it will calculate your zones.
Swarely
Yea, I just checked it and you're right. That's crazy slow.

This what mine would be if I ran based off of HR.

But, this is what I run based on. My lactate threshold. It's more in line with Pete Pzfitinger's levels.

htxag09
AG
This is pretty interesting to me. So which is the proper method for zone 2 running programs?
Ragoo
AG
Is this Garmin? Where?
htxag09
AG
Home Screen on the app -> more in bottom right -> scroll down to garmin devices -> click your device -> scroll down to user settings -> HR zones
'03ag
Interesting. I've been looking at the LT test and I may not even be in good enough shape to take it at the moment. Maybe in a couple more weeks when it cools down.
Ragoo
AG

htxag09
AG
If you click the running icon you can choose between % max hr, lactate threshold, etc
Ragoo
AG
I tried lactate and it didn't do anything.
htxag09
AG
May not automatically populate and you have to manually enter the value
Swarely
Which iteration of watch do you have?
Swarely
There are a lot of arguments out there for each of them. Every coach/author has their own ones. This method is what has worked for me.

To be honest though, increasing mileage has done just as much for me as HR training has. The more mile's you run, the more efficient your body becomes at running. Zone 2 running is just the best zone to maximize those gains. It has the added benefit of lowering your risk of injury.
Ragoo
AG
Fenix 5x
Swarely
If what I'm seeing on Reddit is correct, you may need to run with an external heart rate monitor to unlock that ability. Do you wear an arm or chest strap?
Swarely
How do you like the Sauconys? My Altra Lone Peaks are pretty toasted after almost three years and I'm looking to try another. Was thinking about the HOKA Speed goats. Just waiting for Labor Day sales to start.
Swarely
Also, if anyone is in the bandera area, this looks like a good opportunity to get some shoes and a workout.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwVuONSsqig/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Sweep4-2
I realize you asked Dr for perspective, but I have both and wanted to share. I run in a pair of Saucony Peregrine 12's for shorter stuff and a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 5's for longer stuff. My understanding is that the P 13's are very similar to the 12's.

The Peregrines are really firm, don't have much 'bounce' and are really stable. Great for short, technical, fast courses and I feel 100% confident in them.

The Speedgoats are very cushioned and comfortable, but I don't have the confidence in them on really steep stuff. Good shoes, but better for longer less technical stuff.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
aggiespartan
AG
Swarely said:

How do you like the Sauconys? My Altra Lone Peaks are pretty toasted after almost three years and I'm looking to try another. Was thinking about the HOKA Speed goats. Just waiting for Labor Day sales to start.
Make sure you go try on the speed goats or can return them. I bought my regular size and my foot moved all over the place in them. I'm lucky I made it out of my last race with both ankles in good shape.
Swarely
Thanks for the info y'all. Have either of you run at Flat Rock Ranch? I do Ragnar there every year and that is really the only trail race I do. That's how I got three years out of my Altras. Toying with the idea of trying Bandera in January if my training goes well.
aggiespartan
AG
I haven't. What's the terrain like? I'll be at Bandera this year. Dragging hbc along to crew.
Swarely
It's a mountain bike course, so pretty rocky and steep in areas. Sandy in others. It's a decent mix really.

Will he be healed up enough to be of any help?
aggiespartan
AG
Hopefully. Tuesday we go back to the doctor and are hoping he will be cleared to start walking.
aggiespartan
AG
Swarely said:

It's a mountain bike course, so pretty rocky and steep in areas. Sandy in others. It's a decent mix really.

Keep us updated on Bandera. You're welcome to share our little spot. I should have a couple of pacers for the 100k, but if any of them back out, you're welcome to join me on a section if you don't want to run a full loop.
Swarely
I will! Just kind of depends on how this fall training goes.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Swarely said:

I like them a lot, although I've only put about 40-50 miles on them so far, and they are also my first pair of trail running shoes, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I specifically got them for the lack of cushion just because I don't like the feeling of "bounce" or cushion while running. I definitely agree that I felt very secure running some more difficult terrain.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Swarely said:

Keep us updated on Bandera. You're welcome to share our little spot. I should have a couple of pacers for the 100k, but if any of them back out, you're welcome to join me on a section if you don't want to run a full loop.

If you need additional people, let me know.
aggiespartan
AG
Thanks! I don't know if I really need pacers but I figure might as well try it out.
Swarely
Visiting family in California and did 8 miles this morning. Dry and cool. My pace was over a minute a mile faster than in Texas. Was weird to be 6 miles in and not be a complete soaking mess.
94chem
Swarely said:

Visiting family in California and did 8 miles this morning. Dry and cool. My pace was over a minute a mile faster than in Texas. Was weird to be 6 miles in and not be a complete soaking mess.

I ran the 11.6 mile loop around Leadville a few weeks ago at 10,200 feet with hills. Easily maintained a pace that would have had me completely spent after 6 miles in Houston. Elevation over heat 8 days a week, amen.
K Bo
AG
We're heading to CO (just S of Breckinridge) this week and I couldn't be more excited about running while there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.