Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

94,931 Views | 1418 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Tex117
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw awesome gains doing StrongLifts a few years back. But the workouts got to be too long for me that I wasn't able to make them work in my previously planned workout windows.
texag06ish
AG
Pissed at myself today. Last chest day I 1 rep maxed a PR of 185.

Today I could not get up 180.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I can imagine. My rest intervals for my working sets of squats are already about 4-5 mins. Factor in all of my warm up sets (4, at least) and then 2 drop sets, we're talking about an hour 15 minutes easy just on squats.

Never done the stronglifts program and not sure I really want to as of right now. If I don't hit my goals here in the next two months or so on Squat and Bench, I may have to consider a more traditional strength based program though. I still like all of my bodybuilding/hypertrophy exercises though and despise dead lifting (sorry Beau - don't hate me)
Beau Holder
AG
It's America, you can be wrong and dumb.
Beau Holder
AG
Think our programming is pretty similar otherwise though. Only difference is I do "squat" twice a week, but the second day is a lighter (relative to back squat) variation as my secondary lift on deadlift day. Which as you know this block is Zerchers.

I do RDLs or stiff-legs after heavy back squatting on Monday, otherwise I only seriously deadlift on Fridays.
CC09LawAg
You are likely too advanced at this point to make significant gains on Stronglifts.

I tried Madcow and it was OK but I didn't see a lot of progress. I am getting a lot out of 5/3/1 and it's more of a base framework than it is a program, so you can easily mold it to fit a more bodybuilding type split with a lot of accessory work.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Beau Holder said:

It's America, you can be wrong and dumb.
So true
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah we have similar approach.

Leg day 1 - squat and quad focused
Leg day 2 - hamstring focused with heavy RDLs and heavy leg press (only real quad exercise that day, less maybe volume single leg extensions and/or Bulgarians)

And forgot about your Zercher squats. I'm going to try those soon since my wrists have rendered me unable to perform traditional front squats
Beau Holder
AG
Today I also added unbalanced overhead lunges at the end of the leg day after pendulum squats.

This is a cry for help. Somebody stop me please.
Farmer1906
AG
You lost me there. Feels like something someone did on Instagram for views.
Beau Holder
AG
I spend half of all my accessories all week on core strength and stabilization, even when they're not the main focus of the exercise. It's just another outgrowth of that while also getting some isolation legs (and shoulders a bit too) in.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That sounds like some crazy stuff I would do! Love it!

I'm just ready for my new gym to open with Pendulum Squat machine and a decent hack squat. I have neither at current gym but love both exercises
CC09LawAg
Anybody have any thoughts on how much creatine you should take?

I've just been taking 5g per day the past couple of years and only recently found some stuff that saying if you're 200+ pounds you might need more. I am also easily eating a pound of meat a day, a lot of that being beef.

Is this junk science with people just trying to sell additional supplement or is there anything to it?
bam02
AG
I want to say huberman addressed this. I don't remember how much he takes, but it was more than the standard 5g. It was either him or guest saying that 5g is not enough for bigger guys.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I'm 5'10" 215, and I personally take 7.5-10g when I take it. If my body wants to use more it will, otherwise I'll just piss it out. Not the end of the world if some is "wasted".
CC09LawAg
Thanks. I am thinking I will give it a try when I start my new training block and see if I notice a difference. If I can even get a tiny boost in my recovery I'll be thrilled. I'm usually waddling around for 3 days after my lower body workouts.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I usually walk around between 245-250 and have never taken more than 5g at a time. I understand the science behind the loading phase but have never done it.

While it is not this simple, my understanding with creatine is that it is similar to water soluble vitamins, albeit potentially more taxing on kidneys. Your body can only absorb a certain amount and the rest is just wasted.

For the record, creatine is the only supplement that I would advocate for just about anyone that works out to take. It's not a miracle supplement but it is proven to work and has virtually no ill effects on the body.
Beau Holder
AG
All of this.

Layne Norton, who I trust way more than Huberman on these matters as it's actually within his scientific expertise, has never wavered as far as I'm aware from "5g monohydrate every day." That's what I've done for years with only short breaks. (I'm 6'0 and go anywhere between 210 and 220.)
Tex117
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I want nothing to do with squatting even 2x a week. My best strength gains have been from squatting 1x a week and I am nuked for 3 days after heavy squats. I get you're tweaking numbers and probably staying in ranges of 85% or less of 1RM, but it that just seems like a lot to recover from.

Maybe I'm just giant va-jay-jay though…
This is where I am. I'm not a good squatter. Going heavy once a week is about all I can take. I just can't recover from it.

Right now I do a top set of real heavy (not quite a one rep max, but close), then a back off 3x3 of 90% of that. Then on a medium day, 4 days later, I do 3x5 of that 90%. It seems to be working right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.