Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

104,212 Views | 1497 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ttha_aggie_09
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Realized yesterday why it is important for me to keep some kind of workout log. Felt like I really had stalled out over the last couple of years after some recent failed lifts, but thankfully was able to go back into the weightlifting annals and see that wasn't necessarily the case. Some lifts may have not grown as much as I would have liked, but overall still on the right path. On top of that, have not really faced any nagging injury lately which is always a plus. Hoping to finish off the final 5-3-1 cycle of the year in good shape!
bam02
AG
It's always fun to go back and look at old workout logs from years ago. I still have a bunch from almost 20 years ago back when I used to just do it on a folded up piece of graphing paper with a mechanical pencil. I still have them in my old gym bag and still refer back to them from time to time.
CC09LawAg
I found my old notepad from about 12 years ago and I just laughed when I saw my workout.

It was so low volume compared to what I do now and had so little structure. And I thought I looked so good and was just absolutely crushing it. I'm realizing now how much I left on the table back then.

Oh to be young again!
CC09LawAg
Question for the group - I am looking at investing in an EZ curl bar.

I see there is a rackable version in addition to the normal EZ curl bar.

The rackable one seems superior for general quality of life when it comes to doing skullcrushers and curls. Is there any downside to getting the rackable one that I am not thinking of? Does it make some exercises more difficult?
aggiegolfer03
AG
I'd think it might make you use more muscle to hold things stable, but shouldn't be too different. I don't see a big difference in weight I can do when I do straight barbell curls vs my ez curl bar (non rackable).
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not necessarily a con but obviously a rackable EZ bar will be really wide and I would guess heavier than a more traditional EZ bar. More expensive as well. I have seen the rackable ones as I have shopped around and made up my future gym list, but I have tended to prefer the smaller versions since that is what I am used to and just seems less cumbersome in general.
CC09LawAg
This is what I am trying to work through in my head - obviously stabilizing is good in a certain context, but I would think if I'm trying to do slow, controlled reps that having the shorter version might be easier to control.

But then I think about setting myself up for skullcrushers, overhead tricep work, standing curls, and I think the rackable version would be really nice to have instead of trying to get the bar into positions on every one of those lifts.
CC09LawAg
Titan has a rackable one for only $120, which is about half of what the Rogue one is. The "normal" one is $95. As far as my gym investments go this would definitely be on the cheaper end.

It looks to be about 15 pounds heavier, 32 vs 17 pounds.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yeah, cost will be negligible seems like. Worst case if you hate it, I am sure you could sell it online and get the other without too much pain.
Pantera
AG
I feel like if you don't have a problem with the added weight, I think it would have the benefit of being more versatile due to it being longer, and you could load it up on an elevated surface and not the floor.

More cumbersome, yes, but you'd look hella cool doing curls or skull crushers with a full size bar so there's also that
10andBOUNCE
AG
One of the better mornings I have had in the gym this year probably. 5/3/1 day for OHP and Deadlift. Managed to get 5x150 on my AMRAP set on OHP (I think that was a PR) and eventually hit a single for 175. Any progress for me on OHP is painfully slow, but I will take it. Deadlift was ok and got up to a 410 single, just didn't move as smoothly as I would have liked. Energy levels were just abnormally good for early morning and felt like I could have kept going a while longer.
CC09LawAg
On the rare occasions I can get my lifting in around 2 or 3 PM, I feel fantastic. It's amazing how much the time of day can impact your workouts.

Nice work on OHP! That's about where I am and it is a longgggg grind going up 2.5 pounds at a time. Hoping to hit 4 plates on my DL early next year, just maxed out at 385 recently.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Have you spent much time working deficit deadlifts? I think it has been a big contributor for me and some of the gains on deadlift.
2girlsdad
Nice onnthe OHP! I'm currently at 11 reps at 155 and a single at 190 (albeit fatigued). My goal is a single at 225 which is probably at least a year out.
aggiegolfer03
AG
Nice lifts. I've done 225 in a past life at 210 lbs. (someone ran across Gold's Gym to "spot" me on a standing OHP…lol) , but it takes forever for me to work up to it when I pick up weightlifting after years off. And it's one exercise that I find 1 rep max calculators don't work worth a crap for predicting for me. I fatigue FAST on it. I'm in that same ballpark of doing 155 for 10-11 for one set; but when I actually do 3x12's I'm in rhe 115-125 range to get in that third set.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Those are studly lifts! My goal is to one day OHP my body weight, so I either need to lift a lot more or cut quite a bit while maintaining strength. Been hovering around 200 lately which is a bit heavy for my likes.
CC09LawAg
I programmed them in for a break between Madcow for about 6 weeks, albeit in the 8 rep range so it was lower weight.

I can't say for sure if it was taking a break from pulling heavy or the deficit work, but I definitely felt like when I switched back to conventional I was having less lower back pain. But I was also doing some other exercises to focus specifically on my lower back during that time.

I think the next variation I am going to try is suitcase deadlifts with my farmer carry bars. Then maybe snatch grip deadlifts.
CC09LawAg
Yeah man 2 plates is the dream! I was happy when I got to 1, but nobody can question your lifting bonafides if you're pushing 2 plates on OHP.
2girlsdad
So freaking true! Unlike other lifts where you may be able to grind the last couple reps, OHP goes from that wasn't bad to holy crap just 2 reps later!
2girlsdad
Ha, yea. I'm down from 242 lbs to 215 but still lifting the same heavy weight and love how I'm therefore "stonger" in ratio. BTW carnivore has been AMAZING in helping in the weight loss without muscle loss!
Tex117
AG
Strong lifts on this page!

Just to follow up on a post I had maybe last week....For me...after not sleeping more than 5 hours a night, not eating, enough, and getting a stomach bug for 36 hours (all while traveling)...it took me about 2 weeks to get back to where I was on the squat (which isn't much), but still bouncing back on deadlift.

Do yall happen to piss off your intercostal muscle between your ribs alot? Ive done it 3 times...and it significantly slows down progress. Did it last night again and it hurts like hell.
BQRyno
AG
Yikes, never had that happen (on Starting Strength). The only issue I've had is a particularly tight lower back after deadlifts. I'm sure it's some combination of a weak back - I realized when I started lifting that I've never really worked my lower back...ever - and form problems.
Tex117
AG
BQRyno said:

Yikes, never had that happen (on Starting Strength). The only issue I've had is a particularly tight lower back after deadlifts. I'm sure it's some combination of a weak back - I realized when I started lifting that I've never really worked my lower back...ever - and form problems.
Yeah, that happened to me right in the beginning because my lower back was weak. Definitely made progress on that issue. Early on, I did some rack pulls just to focus on keeping my lower back tight and feeling what that sensation felt like...then lowered the bar lower..lower, then pulled from the floor. Worked out pretty well.

Yeah, the intercostal muscle thing SUCKS. It feels like you popped a rib.
aggiegolfer03
AG
with me, it's always my upper right hamstring. Pulled it in 8th grade football...tweek it once a year at least doing something.

Recently I woke up and it just hurt to use it. Day after I went into leg day at home at 11 pm, with very little food left for my calories that day. Didn't feel like squatting, so did some higher rep trap bar deadlifts instead. Everything felt fine until I woke up.

3 days later and it still feel weird.

And when I say "tweek" it, it usually hurts a couple days and completely goes away. Voodoo BS.
Tex117
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

with me, it's always my upper right hamstring. Pulled it in 8th grade football...tweek it once a year at least doing something.

Recently I woke up and it just hurt to use it. Day after I went into leg day at home at 11 pm, with very little food left for my calories that day. Didn't feel like squatting, so did some higher rep trap bar deadlifts instead. Everything felt fine until I woke up.

3 days later and it still feel weird.

And when I say "tweek" it, it usually hurts a couple days and completely goes away. Voodoo BS.
Weird. Its like when you sprain an ankle...you kinda keep spraining it.

aggiegolfer03
AG
yep...been there too. I sprained it fairly badly one game in HS football, turned the damn thing every game after that.

Would hurt for like 2 plays and then I'd be fine.
Tex117
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

yep...been there too. I sprained it fairly badly one game in HS football, turned the damn thing every game after that.

Would hurt for like 2 plays and then I'd be fine.
Yup. Man...getting older sucks.
bam02
AG
Never dealt with the rib thing thankfully.

I do have a knee that will hurt so bad I can barely walk and then two days later I'm 100%. Sucks but at least I have learned that it does get better. I'm really trying to do the Knees Over Toes Guy stuff to better protect my knees as I get older.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Same here. I have made walking backwards on the treadmill (on incline) part of my normal gym warmup.

I also used to do the ATG split squats alot after back squats but now tend to just get back on the treadmill and walk backwards with the machine off to try and spin the belt. I also try to get in some tib raises.
CC09LawAg
CC09LawAg said:

Titan has a rackable one for only $120, which is about half of what the Rogue one is. The "normal" one is $95. As far as my gym investments go this would definitely be on the cheaper end.

It looks to be about 15 pounds heavier, 32 vs 17 pounds.
Normal sized EZ curl bar on Titan went on sale today FYI for anyone interested - picked it up for $70.
CC09LawAg
Plate Loaded Cable Tower 2.0 - Bells Of Steel USA

Anybody have any experience with something like this?

The $350 price tag seems too good to be true.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Spent time looking into this exact unit today as well. Sent BOS an email asking if I could connect a pair of these on either side of one of their Hydra racks with some of the crossmembers they sell.

I would definitely upgrade some of the parts that they have options for such as an aluminum pulley.

Keep buying stuff and let me know how it works out
10andBOUNCE
AG
Came across this Garage Gym Review that you may have already seen. Overall seems like a solid endorsement of the BOS Plate Loaded Cable Tower. Calls it probably their best product. Definitely is high up on my list.

CC09LawAg
Well, I guess I need to start measuring out some space in my garage.

I have seen a lot of videos where they put two together. I'm wondering if you can do flys with just one since there are two pulleys. Seems like you may have issues getting wide enough.
10andBOUNCE
AG
In his review he does mention the ability to do flyes with just the one. It isn't optimal since the range of motion is more limited and cables may be an annoyance, but you can. I have typically done one arm flyes even in the gym but also do them a little more differently than the norm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.