Houston
Sponsored by

Med Center - Extended Inpatient advice

4,397 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by BMX Bandit
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So we found out our pregnancy has a condition called Vasa Previa and, long story short, we will be having an extended stay (4-6 weeks) at the Houston Med Center.

Any tips and tricks to such a thing?

What should my wife plan on doing for 2-4 weeks while we approach delivery time?

Any good places to park daily that won't break the bank?

Best places to eat in the med center?

Tips for living out of a hospital room?

Any feedback welcome here. This is new to us.
FarmerJohn
AG
That sucks. I do pray that it works out for the best.

One day think about going to Hanks Ice Cream and bring back a couple pints to try and leave the rest to share with the nurse staff. I think they may take cards but for years they were cash only. And only open 2-6, five days a week.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My buddy had to do this for 3 months when his wife was pregnant with their twins. He got a nice folding cot from Cabelas and stayed up there 5 nights a week. He said they watched a bunch of Netflix and such. He put on several pound's during this, but I would never say something like that to his fat face.
Jackal99
AG
Is she actually going to be in the hospital the entire time, or do you need a hotel or something for part of it?

Re: parking, check with the hospital. Some can give you a long-term pass at a discounted rate.

Plenty of good places to eat around Rice Village. Depends on your preferences, but there's a lot around there. In the Med Center, there are some fast food places on the first floor of the Commons building, and a fancier restaurant on the top floor.

No tips for living out of a hospital room, other than try to make it as comfortable as possible.

Good luck to y'all.
WES2006AG
AG
FarmerJohn said:

One day think about going to Hanks Ice Cream and bring back a couple pints to try and leave the rest to share with the nurse staff. I think they may take cards but for years they were cash only. And only open 2-6, five days a week.
Getting something for the nurses is great advice. The nurses will make or break your stay in the hospital.
jh0400
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Tiny's cookies are always a hit. My wife bought some for the nurses multiple times when I was in with my broken leg a few years ago. I even took some to Plano to give to my mom's ECMO team several times.
James Forsyth
Will you be at Texas Children's (Pavilion for Women)?
agnerd
AG
Your timing couldn't be worse. Rodeo runs for the next 3 weeks. Med center parking, traffic, and light rail crowds will be heavy. Hotels will be expensive too.

A lot of fast food has surrounded the area. Not sure if Luby's is still there, but I liked that they had a big variety. Salata at Fannin and Dryden to keep it a little healthier once in a while.

If yall are allowed to leave the hospital for short periods, go walk around Hermann park or consider a zoo pass to get a little walking in away from the homeless people.
DiskoTroop
Good call on a long term pass at a discount.

May look into a cot.

We will be inpatient full time. No hotel.

We will be in Memorial Hermann likely. They're the partner hospital to UTHealth Science Fetal Center which is whose care we're under.

Will definitely find some good nurse swag… Chick Fil A platters etc.
redaszag99
Southwells on Holcombe just west of TMC for burgers

'Cleburne Cafeteria isn't far on Bissonet at Edloe

I always got take out from Carrabas on Kirby for my wife when we had babies at Women's Hospital

BaileyAg
AG
That area around Rice is beautiful if you run/walk
FHKChE07
AG
I've spent quite a bit of time in the hospital in the med center.

The cafeteria at methodist is better than most.

Go over to the actual med center building for lunch from Wolfgang's.

Ask the nurses for an egg crate to put on the fold out chair you will sleep on.

Bring your own sheets.

Pack all the things you are bringing into rolling suitcases so you can make the switchout when you need to go home to laundry.

Bring some power strips or extra long charging cables for devices.

Hopefully, you will have a fridge at hermann in ante-partum.

Make friends with the nurses. They are your lifeline.

Since right before my son was born 5 years ago, our family of 4 has spent over 100 nights in the various hospitals. It sucks, but you can get through it. Chipotle sells beer. So does the hotel bars.

I would take a legal pad to keep track of notes of what is going on. Doctor's names and whatnot.

Kylie might have made fun of Jason Kelce for bringing a small fan into the hospital but my wife brings one every time we go. Especially for pregnant women.

Hope things turn out well. Preemie babies aren't fun but hermann isn't a bad place to be if you have to go to NICU. Both of our boys were there and we had a fantastic experience.
12thMan9
AG
First off, Hermann SUCKS. For many reasons but you must deal with the hand you've been dealt.

Hermann, being on the north end of the Med Ctr., offers nothing close that you can get to for non hospital food. Methodist cafeteria is 2nd to St. Luke's. All 4 of mine were born there, they have a pasta station during the week.

I spent 20+ years calling on St. Luke's, Methodist, TCH, & MDA so I feel confident in what I know.

Mem. Hermann has 3 different places to east if I remember correctly. Food is fair. All the other options mentioned above require a walk, a good one, and the places across the street are not close.

As mentioned, there are several options in the village, Torchy's, D'Amicos, Black Walnut Cafe', Chicken Kitchen, Cyclone's, Dave's Hot Chicken, to name a few.

Lot of places heading west on Holcombe, south on Main, and on Kirby in both directions.

You can get an extended parking pass from the TMC. The people who own the parking lots are some of the richest ****s in the world.
Ronnie '88
maroon barchetta
I had a surgery at Methodist. Was supposed to be a three-day stay.

Contracted two nasty bacterial infections during or after surgery and was in 2-3 weeks. My wife stayed in the room with me on the little foldout chair thing, which sucks. It's better when they have the couch/bed that is by the window.

Family lived nearby and picked her up each day to go shower and grab fresh clothes and get food if she didn't want Methodist cafeteria food (which isn't bad) or something within walking distance.

Our vehicle never left the garage.

Before we got ready to check out and get discharged, my wife went to the cashier to ask about paying for parking. I don't think she still had our ticket or the little token it spits out, if that's what they were using then. She wanted to know how much it would be.

It was going to be over $200.

The kid working as cashier was kind and said "Oh, you lost your ticket! Looks like that will be a full day charge!"

And that's what we paid.
maroon barchetta
redaszag99 said:

Southwells on Holcombe just west of TMC for burgers

'Cleburne Cafeteria isn't far on Bissonet at Edloe

I always got take out from Carrabas on Kirby for my wife when we had babies at Women's Hospital

The Cleburne is excellent. Really good food.
W
AG
the Red Line can also be beneficial for getting around

if you need to meet someone or have something delivered -- it can be easier to link up a few blocks north or south of the med center
aggiedata
AG
Saw this and thought of you

And all seriousness, I know this is a hardship for yall. This few times I had to be with someone overnight in a hospital can be draining as there are many interruptions during the night. Thinking of you both!

The Pit Room has good bbq close by

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uyLyJEFmzMwbzySa9?g_st=ic

DiskoTroop
Hey supposedly that couch is better than the fold out chair
agz win
AG
Remember you're the advocate. Off top of my head:
Befriend your case manager and nurses.
Keep a detailed daily diary.
Collect business cards and write descriptions on the back.
Set up a food pantry in your room.
Set up list of food places that deliver or use door dash and have delivered to your closest entrance drive thru.
See if they have floor basketball tourney bracket.
Have laptop with all supporting plugs and chargers.
Bring reading glasses although they have ones left at each nursing station.
Any perishables put in the floor fridge at nursing area.
To break up monotony , daily visits outside room to floor sitting area looking outside or stroll the halls.
Ask for physical therapy for exercising.
Be nice to the cleaning staff coming through giving occasional gifts.
Ask for room away from noisy nurs's station.
White noise machine.
Bring her favorite pictures.
Control visitors and drop ins to give notice first.
If long term parking is too much and it is a long walk, leave it home or at friends and Uber.
Bring books and board games.

Good luck.

htxag09
AG
I'd recommend taking whatever streaming device you may have. When we had our first son our stay wasn't nearly as long, but it was during COVID, so no guests and I couldn't leave. Having a chromecast to watch Netflix or ESPN was way better than trying to flip through the hospital TV channels.

Also, third for Cleburne. When my mom was at MD Anderson we frequented there.
DiskoTroop
We intended on taking our Apple TV but I thought it might be tough in a hospital. HDMI cables, had to set the unit somewhere the remote can reach it, etc… just ordered a $29 firestick.
george07
AG
I just read this thread then immediately saw on the Houston Chronicle website that Hank's is closed permanently due to the owner having a stroke.
TxAg05
AG
Food options here at Hermann not the best. Standard cafeteria on the second floor of Sarofim tower. The cafeteria on first closest to you has limited hours and closes by mid afternoon. CFA, Starbucks, and Au Bon Pain across the street from Hermann.

You can walk further down the street or hop on the light rail for burgers at Millers or further down for Chipotle, Salata, BBQ, and a couple of other options.

I'm here pretty much daily so feel free to send a PM if you need anything.

DiskoTroop
TxAg05 said:

Food options here at Hermann not the best. Standard cafeteria on the second floor of Sarofim tower. The cafeteria on first closest to you has limited hours and closes by mid afternoon. CFA, Starbucks, and Au Bon Pain across the street from Hermann.

You can walk further down the street or hop on the light rail for burgers at Millers or further down for Chipotle, Salata, BBQ, and a couple of other options.

I'm here pretty much daily so feel free to send a PM if you need anything.

Thank you! I do appreciate that.

Looking at admission mid next week…
maroon barchetta
I've had good food at Methodist and MD Anderson, for what it's worth.
Dr. Venkman
AG
If you need long term parking, I'd just park in the nearby neighborhood. I think Dryden at Travis is the nearest street without no parking signs.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Man...for parking, I would do what someone else suggested and ask the hospital about a longterm rate.

I recently found out the unfortunate way that a bad tow these days can run close to 400 bucks.
agz win
AG
And they tow you out to some yard at the ship channel on some sand/dirt roads.
DiskoTroop
And have RTT on here biotchin about me street parking in his new neighborhood? No thank you.
agracer
AG
Curious as to why the med center is your only option with some many hospitals around the metro? Is there not something closer to your home that is an option for the extended stay?
WES2006AG
AG
agracer said:

Curious as to why the med center is your only option with some many hospitals around the metro? Is there not something closer to your home that is an option for the extended stay?
Why would you go to a regional hospital for something serious when you have access to one of the best medical centers anywhere in the world?
94chem
We've had as much as 2 months inpatient with our son at TCH. I used to walk to Rice Village a lot, shop at The Blue Hand. Get takeout from one of the restaurants. I love the Khachapuri at Pasha's. I did lots of running on the Rice trail, 6 - 8 miles regularly. Lots of Netflix, keeping up with work, sleeping on the couch. Would also catch the train and ride up to midtown. Had a long-term parking pass - saved a ton on that; definitiely see if you can get one.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
WES2006AG said:

agracer said:

Why would you go to a regional hospital for something serious when you have access to one of the best medical centers anywhere in the world?
I lost a long-time friend who got treated out here in Humble for cancer instead of driving 25 miles to MD Anderson. They gave her acute leukemia by OD'ing her.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
maroon barchetta
What hospital out there? Not an Anderson satellite hospital?

I didn't know you could give someone leukemia.
94chem
maroon barchetta said:

What hospital out there? Not an Anderson satellite hospital?

I didn't know you could give someone leukemia.
Yep. If you hit too hard with chemo, you can change a manageable, chronic condition into an acute, terminal one.
94chem,
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.