Houston
Sponsored by

*****2024 Hurricane Off-Season*****

197,990 Views | 1744 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by CDUB98
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once again, idiots driving too fast for conditions. I felt sorry for those folks who were driving slow enough and able to stop, only to be nailed from behind be some other moron.
Furlock Bones
AG
absolutely.
AustinCountyAg
Abc13 running numerous reports with parents ripping on the HISD super who regrets closing schools. Numerous schools with heating issues today with parents *****ing about that. Lol. Love to see it
Dr. Doctor
AG
I am overseas as well so had to teach my wife what to do as well.

She has PTSD from 21, as we had an interior pipe freeze and break. Luckily it was during the day and we caught it quickly.

~egon
Sea Speed
AG
Hope yall came away unscathed this time around.
agz win
AG
Turned water back on and a galvanized faucet was looking like Old Faithful. Had the plumber come and yank out the pipe and plug it up permanently. Same pipe was a problem during the snow debacle so just killed it. Never liked that faucet. Plumber says lots of broken pipes in the area.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Lots of problems due to ****ty owners not paying attention.
Sea Speed
AG
I'm pretty sure I came out unscathed between my house and my rentals. A couple of years ago I had a tenant send me this photo though.
Cromagnum
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

She has PTSD from 21, as we had an interior pipe freeze and break. Luckily it was during the day and we caught it quickly.

~egon

Speaking of PTSD. The GFS has next week's system dumping a foot of rain on us. Hopefully that's way over-estimated, and hopefully we can get some big rains when we are in the middle of our 100 days of 100 degree weather without any rain at all.

maroon barchetta
That's not how this works.
Cromagnum
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I know. El Nino is doing what it's suppose to and maintaining a wet winter. Good for stock tanks and lakes in areas at least. Who knows what this summer will do.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Cromagnum said:

maroon barchetta said:

I know. El Nino is doing what it's suppose to and maintaining a wet winter. Good for stock tanks and lakes in areas at least. Who knows what this summer will do.

Hunga Tonga!!!
Serotonin
AG
Cromagnum said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon

Speaking of PTSD. The GFS has next week's system dumping a foot of rain on us. Hopefully that's way over-estimated, and hopefully we can get some big rains when we are in the middle of our 100 days of 100 degree weather without any rain at all.

GFS is extremely inaccurate that far out. Euro model (which would be equally inaccurate as the GFS at this stage) is showing 2 inches and change over Houston.

I'd stick with SCW. At this point the best guess is that the region will get 5 inches of rain, +/- 3 inches.
CDUB98
AG
Cromagnum said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon

Send that **** to Central Texas and let the highland lake dams fill up. Canyon Lake too.
Beat40
CDUB98 said:

Cromagnum said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon

Send that **** to Central Texas and let the highland lake dams fill up. Canyon Lake too.
For real. Send this rain to central Texas. We drive by Medina Lake every time we visit my in-laws in Bandera. They need it badly.
rilloaggie
AG
Despite turning off the water at the meter, opening the petcocks, running my sprinkler solenoids dry, and opening the exterior faucets on the line, and my PVB cracked.
Cromagnum
AG
rilloaggie said:

Despite turning off the water at the meter, opening the petcocks, running my sprinkler solenoids dry, and opening the exterior faucets on the line, and my PVB cracked.

Those do store enough water that they can still expand enough to pop the bell. I had it happen on a smaller one in 2021.
AustinCountyAg
Cromagnum said:

rilloaggie said:

Those do store enough water that they can still expand enough to pop the bell. I had it happen on a smaller one in 2021.
correct. Had it happened to me a handful of years back. I've since started covering it in a blanket and layering on top of the blanket one of the insulated covers you can buy off amazon. Before the insulated cover I would use a trash bag and it worked fine. Well enough in the big freeze in 21' when it was below freezing for a week straight.
Whoop Delecto
AG
rilloaggie
AG
They were open 90 degrees. It split at the inlet valve so I assume some water was trapped at or just above that.

This pic is from this morning, petcocks are closed from yesterday afternoon when I was trying to fire everything back up.
gougler08
AG
rilloaggie said:

They were open 90 degrees. It split at the inlet valve so I assume some water was trapped at or just above that.

This pic is from this morning, petcocks are closed from yesterday afternoon when I was trying to fire everything back up.

Mine cracked there last year so this year I installed some union valves and just took the whole thing off and put it in the garage and covered the little bit of remaining pipe above ground
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-HC3A-Automatic-Electric/dp/B000IKSQ8U/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_sspa?crid=7Y3INCVQLZ8O&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.0bVkgdJ9QQn7iX3z8kL875o573AXKlwqso7ix8sM7JIADUdg6Tr0w8GoxSihG1nB287CYV9zB2CkMuuF9qCvGRxTFzFJwbyfd0GwN20GoQc-3X5zXkNRcGfguGEK8hh28eNmXUq0hp5dTA2E4S3gewYhBP8diTdhZbJA5wRtImIEUFtvIvo6ah8admY0QGaC7xjxVzemZzcDdpfTCg2QTw.2jD62jKVsTnmbO15dxNkxFHeQW1_VdxDZS9qR1Opmcc&dib_tag=se&keywords=heating+wire+for+pipes&qid=1705679950&sprefix=heating+wire%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-5-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

Plug in warming cord, I have this wrapped around the water line into my home as well as the sprinkler back flow preventer. Wrap it up in insulation and then cover with a garbage bag. I disassemble the valve in the back flow preventer as well.
Chewy
AG
If you want to get wild and crazy you could always just take that contraption off and STR8 PIPE THAT HO.
cajunaggie08
AG
rilloaggie said:

Assuming there's no valve below that, there is water leading up from your main supply to that valve. There is no way to drain that. The only way to prevent water freezing and cracking the new valve in the future is to invest in better insulation for the line.
AgLA06
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-HC3A-Automatic-Electric/dp/B000IKSQ8U/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_sspa?crid=7Y3INCVQLZ8O&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.0bVkgdJ9QQn7iX3z8kL875o573AXKlwqso7ix8sM7JIADUdg6Tr0w8GoxSihG1nB287CYV9zB2CkMuuF9qCvGRxTFzFJwbyfd0GwN20GoQc-3X5zXkNRcGfguGEK8hh28eNmXUq0hp5dTA2E4S3gewYhBP8diTdhZbJA5wRtImIEUFtvIvo6ah8admY0QGaC7xjxVzemZzcDdpfTCg2QTw.2jD62jKVsTnmbO15dxNkxFHeQW1_VdxDZS9qR1Opmcc&dib_tag=se&keywords=heating+wire+for+pipes&qid=1705679950&sprefix=heating+wire%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-5-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

Plug in warming cord, I have this wrapped around the water line into my home as well as the sprinkler back flow preventer. Wrap it up in insulation and then cover with a garbage bag. I disassemble the valve in the back flow preventer as well.
After the Valentines great freeze, I got these for my water supply into the house and all of the exterior hose bibs. Cut a pool noodle to put over them and the pipe and zero issues since. I only drip the faucets so my wife doesn't drive me nuts worrying.

If I had the time and cash to blow, i'd get longer runs and just put them and pool noodles on all my runs in the attic plugged into a thermostat that would automatically turn them on under 40 degrees.
Breggy Popup
AG
rilloaggie said:

Do you have a valve you can close near your meter? If not, and that bottom valve on your PVB is the first cut off valve, you will have problems every time because of the water standing above it.
gougler08
AG
This is what I did, ball valve as low as I could go to ground level and then union valve right above that
AustinCountyAg
this is my problem. I used to turn the water off in the ground before it got to the backflow, but now I cant find the damn box because grass has grown on top of it.
Breggy Popup
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

this is my problem. I used to turn the water off in the ground before it got to the backflow, but now I cant find the damn box because grass has grown on top of it.

Grab a screwdriver and start poking! I have to do that every winter lol.
maroon barchetta
AustinCountyAg said:

Wait wait wait…

You need this board to find you a restaurant for your anniversary

You need this board to find you a good hotel for a weekend away with your wife

Now you need them to find the valve box for your water supply line?
AustinCountyAg
yes I do. Feel free to swing by the house and start poking. I did it for 30 minutes the other day with no luck. The more help the better.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
We talking about your wife still or the valve box?
El Gallo Blanco
Just realizing I didn't do anything about my sprinkler system...this is my first winter with one...wrapped everything else and took other precautions. Are the underground pipes very vulnerable or mostly just everything above ground? Will need to take a look when I get home this afternoon.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Where are you? If you've got an issue with your system, you'd have likely seen evidence of it by now. Your pipes underground are okay.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.