Outdoors
Sponsored by

Poisoning Hogs

2,611 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by ursusguy
LoneStarBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston Chronicle Article

I looked and did not see an article on this subject.

So I'm curious to see what everyone thinks about this method to reduce hog numbers. Plus it appears the state may endorse the procedure.

Hogs do a lot of damage to our property and I'm still not sure of their affect on deer numbers. We have kind of enjoyed night hunting them.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
SanAntoneAg
AG
Hog eats the warfarin, goes to a neighboring property where it is shot and then eaten by the hunter and his family.

Before the fatty tissue turns blue.

Something to think about.
Gig 'em! '90
Mas89
AG
Warfarin is a blood thinner lots of people take. Coumadin is one brand name.
malenurse
AG
Been using warfarin in rat poison for years.

As a matter of fact, that's how warfarin was created.
jwoodmd
Mas89 said:

Warfarin is a blood thinner lots of people take. Coumadin is one brand name.
In extremely controlled doses. Coumadin is a blood thinner that has therapeutic benefits when kept in very narrow bands and requires constant testing. In too high quantities you bleed internally and even the slightest injury can result in death. That's why it's a poison to the hogs at those high doses. It's an extremely valid concern about consuming hogs that have Coumadin in their system. It's like your cat eating the mouse that Warfarin was used as the poison. People on blood thinners cannot be blood donors. It goes on and on. Again, a valid concern.
Mas89
AG
Tired of excuses not to poison hogs. Make the poison widely available and tell people not to eat harvested wild hogs because they could have poison in them. Australia has been poisoning them for years.

The University of Wyoming and Tx A&M killed and sampled numerous hogs throughout East Tx several years back and all of the herds sampled had Brucellosis and other nasty diseases. Poison could just be added to the list of reasons not to eat one.
Gunny456
AG
I remember they talked about this when they first started to introduce it a number of years back and they said if the meat was cooked it destroyed the blood thinning effects agent.......has that been discussed? Is not Coumadin made from rattlesnake venom? My wife was on it because she had a blood clot in her leg...and the dock told us that....just asking
SanAntoneAg
AG
Mas89 said:

Tired of excuses not to poison hogs. Make the poison widely available and tell people not to eat harvested wild hogs because they could have poison in them. Australia has been poisoning them for years.

The University of Wyoming and Tx A&M killed and sampled numerous hogs throughout East Tx several years back and all of the herds sampled had Brucellosis and other nasty diseases. Poison could just be added to the list of reasons not to eat one.

Untold thousands are eaten annually by Texans. Are brucellosis and "other nasty diseases" major health issues to those of us who handle them properly and ultimately consume them?
Gig 'em! '90
jwoodmd
Gunny456 said:

I remember they talked about this when they first started to introduce it a number of years back and they said if the meat was cooked it destroyed the blood thinning effects agent.......has that been discussed? Is not Coumadin made from rattlesnake venom? My wife was on it because she had a blood clot in her leg...and the dock told us that....just asking
No, not from snake venom. Let your dock stick to tending to your boat.
Mas89
AG
Not unless contracted thru a cut or bodily fluids is my understanding. The Drs. were very surprised by the percentage of the tested hogs which were positive and that brucellosis was in every herd tested on the different ranches.
Just keep watch for the blue fatty tissue as many farms and ranches are going to be poisoning them.
Gunny456
AG
For anybody interested there is a very interesting read on Warfarin by the American Chemical Society at:
www.acs.org>landmark
Gunny456
AG
I'm getting old …. I went and talked with the wife about this. She almost died from the clot (clots). Was in the hospital for 6 weeks. We had been married for less than a year. One scary time.
She said they had her on a cocktail of Coumadin, Heparin, Persantin, and Captopril. She said that Captopril was the one the "dock" told her was made from snake venom ….not Coumadin.
Well at least it started with a "C". I'm not totally nuts (yet) !
BSD
AG
LoneStarBQ said:

Houston Chronicle Article

Isn't this the same media outlet that just said wild hogs are good for the environment?
jwoodmd
Gunny456 said:

I'm getting old …. I went and talked with the wife about this. She almost died from the clot (clots). Was in the hospital for 6 weeks. We had been married for less than a year. One scary time.
She said they had her on a cocktail of Coumadin, Heparin, Persantin, and Captopril. She said that Captopril was the one the "dock" told her was made from snake venom ….not Coumadin.
Well at least it started with a "C". I'm not totally nuts (yet) !
Glad your wife is okay. That's scary and from what you describe it was extremely serious to have all that. Hope she's getting good regular checkups to minimize future potential ones.

I'm from a family that did some ranching and my wife is also (her family are though the "big time" ranchers). I love the outdoors, hunting, dining on wild game, etc. I know how destructive wild hogs are and while it's not going to be possible, they should be not just "controlled" but eradicated. I also know that while statistically things like contracting brucellosis, someone not noticing the blue tint from a warfarin poisoned animal, etc are very low, it's just not worth the risk. They carry so many parasites also. So, again, it's just not worth the risk. It's like raw, unpasteurized, unhomongenized milk. I drank lots of that growing up (and yes, a time or two sick from it). But, now I wouldn't and wouldn't let my kids or family. Like the taste of unpasteurized, fine, but at least seek out the newer ultra filtered.

I know I was just answering to you on the Coumadin origin and your wife's clots. But, I just included my thoughts on eating wild hog (even without the Coumadin possibility) so I didn't post multiple times.
SanAntoneAg
AG
It'll be interesting to see how the warfarin/hog thing pans out. While proven, the amount of time, effort and cost will likely be a huge obstacle for most.
Gig 'em! '90
Gunny456
AG
That's cool. Good info.
The wife is good, thank you for the caring. She had been on birth control pills and they said that's what caused them. They keep a good eye on her.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Wild hogs are destructive creatures. Kill them all.
Allen76
AG
One of my neighbors that farms a lot of acres pays a helicopter every spring and kills a bunch of hogs. He gets permission from most of his neighbors to kill them on their land.

I would imagine the poisoning would be a better method in several ways, starting with the cost.
TX_COWDOC
AG
You should read up on ionophores such as monensin. Do not use where horses are present.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
LoneStarBQ
AG
Allen76 said:

One of my neighbors that farms a lot of acres pays a helicopter every spring and kills a bunch of hogs. He gets permission from most of his neighbors to kill them on their land.

I would imagine the poisoning would be a better method in several ways, starting with the cost.
Cost would be a BIG point. That can't be cheap!
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
ursusguy
AG
The initial issue several years ago was impact to non-target species......and a huge lack of transparency. At the time (last time, not this go around), it was announced about 2 days before I was asked to speak at landowner workshop. TPWD was hosting, but I was asked to come present on something, call it predator management. Anyway, at the last minutes SId Miller's office requested a speaking session and Q&A with a rep from his office and TAHC. It ended up being embarrassing for them. Between the rep with USDA-WS and myself, we knew more about the approved chemical than the agency spokesman did..........they seem to have done a better job this go around. In the area I oversee, we've trapped ~4,000 hogs in the last 8 years and now see very little damage, and hog DNA sourced e. coli is significantly reduced. We know if we can take out an area sounder at one time we get about 6 weeks of control. If we can pop the main sounder and associated satellite sounders, we get about 6 months of control. Do it twice and we may not find hog sign for over a year. We have large bottomland hardwood areas and wetlands that we are approaching 2 years with no pigs. But it is always a constant monitoring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.