Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

66,901 Views | 477 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 12f Mane
krosch11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That one fooled me too. I was cottonmouth all the way .
Badace52
AG
I see what you are saying, but it's just too wide and flat for me to go with DBWS. I could see where it might be one though if it's just gripping the sidewalk real hard while pushing forward.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
I think that's the case. The real big females (4ft plus) almost seem like different species.

The snake in question might be full of babies or a big meal.

krosch11
AG
Body thickness and bands are what made me think cotton mouth. Bands didn't look as uniform to me. Similar to this hog

This is a good reason why if I ever see a snake in the water with me I'm not waiting around to find out which one it is
Pasquale Liucci
AG
You took the words right out of my mouth. Both on the ID and the SOP for snakes in the water
BuddysBud
AG

This one was higher than my hat.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I cam across my first hognose on Saturday. I took the boys on a walk around our neighborhood which has a good section of woods. We made it to the turnaround at the end of the trail and I told my oldest that I was disappointed we've never seen a copperhead or hognose. About three minutes later on our way back, I spotted this guy starting to cross the path.

We watched him for a few minutes and encouraged him back into the woods before the next group of people came across him.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
12f Mane said:

TarponChaser said:

Posted on the neighborhood FB page. They must have been 100' away so I can't see the head but the pattern does look sorta cottonmouth'ish. Personally I would have gotten a lot closer but whatever.

This is a really tough one but I am going with gravid diamondback water snake. Neck to head ratio, band widths, and coloration all say diamondback to me, not cotton.
I'm in the cottonmouth crowd on this one.
12f Mane
AG
I think this ID has bothered me more than any other from all the snake threads. I'm still 60/40 DBWS/cottonmouth but the more I look the more I don't know. The band widths are really throwing me off.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
One last pic:

He put on quite a show, but never played dead.
12f Mane
AG
The coloration on that one is neat
Harrison Wells
AG
Jack County. Identification help, por favor.

12th Man Ag
AG
Is that a coachwhip?
vander54
S
That's a great example of a coachwhip tail
World's worst proofreader
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Yes, coachwhip. Non-venomous.
Harrison Wells
AG
Thanks for the ID. It's a pretty snake, as far as snakes go, obviously.
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks like we are switching to rat snakes this year…

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quit choking your chicken…..

Snake
3 Toed Pete
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Looks like we are switching to rat snakes this year…

That's a big improvement from the copperhead incubator. At least I would think so.
P.U.T.U
AG
Saw three more watersnakes but couldn't get pictures of them. Several fuzzberts on the trail.

JayM
DoitBest said:

Ok, we've been in this house 25 years & never seen a coral snake, then our dog takes out 3 in the past 12 months, y'all said could be coincidence..well he got #4 tonight. Am I missing something, under pool filter/heater or what should I look for?

Edit to say I know to look out for more coral snakes ....
I've seen two live ones in the north Houston suburbs. The one in my back yard slipped underneath the St Augustine as quickly as it could. You probably have them buried underneath the grass and don't even know.
JayM
ought1ag said:

Had a visit from this gentle dude this AM

Jagged body spells Rat Snake. Right?
12f Mane
AG
Yes, although this one is a Great Plains ratsnake as opposed to the more often posted Texas ratsnake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.