Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

96,331 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Texmid
nealan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Usually more like a scratch. It's about like scraping your arm on a briar
ought1ag
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I gotta say, this thread over the year has taught me a ton and completely changed the way I view snakes - but I still don't have the guts to take hold of a good sized one in the wild.

So snake appreciation and snake handling are two very different things. My understanding is the non-venomous ones the bite still bleeds a lot and hurts.

reminds me of this song

nealan
This is from a good sized ribbon snake a few years ago. … granted , a 6' bull snake would probably be worse
Counterpoint
AG
nealan said:

This is from a good sized ribbon snake a few years ago. … granted , a 6' bull snake would probably be worse

How are you still with us?
Deerdude
Many years ago in Jr Hi a friend brought his pet Bull snake. Back when he could do that and actually carried it for most the day. I had held it earlier on the day but was sitting there in class when it struck me at the hairline on my temple. Felt like a baseball bat and bled like a stuck pig.
No repercussions, we didn't get an attorney to tell us how injured and permanently scarred I was. But it sure did smart.
zooguy96
Many non-venomous snake bites can bleed and hurt like hell. Ask me now I know.

My favorite was when I was doing a program once (televised by all 4 local tv stations), and I was showing a gopher snake / some other type of snake cross - and it decided to try to start eating my index finger. I didn't notice until the bleeding and laughing (from the audience) started. It was on the 5, 6, and 10 o'clock news. I didn't even know it had been televised (long before the use of DVR's) until I was getting a haircut, and my hair stylist said that she saw my interview on tv and that it must have hurt. Good times.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
maroon barchetta
Is it on YouTube?
zooguy96
maroon barchetta said:

Is it on YouTube?
Nah, this was back in 2001 or 2002. All VHS - I probably have a video of it somewhere in storage.

There have been other instances of where I wish someone had been videoing.

- Leading a hike, and halfway stepped on a 4-5 foot atrox (Western Diamondback). The only reason I didn't is because a woman screamed, and I did one of those "launch off of the other foot while moving the first foot up". Of course, the snake did nothing.

- At one of the zoos I worked at, moved a large 5-6' water snake who was pissed because he was surrounded by a bunch of pre-schoolers. Early in my "snake wrangling" days (no tongs or hook). Lucky I didn't get bitten. One of the kids thanked me because I "saved him from the snake", even though he was 30 feet away.

- Got bitten on the nose by a black kingsnake I had just acquired. That one hurt like hell.

- Got bitten by one of my hognoses (feeding - he's a real voracious feeder) not paying attention. Thumb swelled up a little. It's really difficult most of the time to get bitten by a hognose. This one is a little crazy. Still have him. Western.
Sea Speed
AG
I got bit by a snake in elementary school when I was feeding it a lizard in our classroom.
nealan
Just sayin, it ain't that bad !
HuttoAg27
AG
Found these while mowing today in Hutto, Texas. Any idea what they could be? Rat snakes are the most common out here I think, but we have also had coral snakes, rattlesnakes, and cottonmouths out here over the years.
Texmid
AG
I see a copperhead tail.

ETA: I guess I should have zoomed in.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Not an expert, but turtles lay eggs in the ground and will go a long distance from water.
zooguy96
HuttoAg27 said:

Found these while mowing today in Hutto, Texas. Any idea what they could be? Rat snakes are the most common out here I think, but we have also had coral snakes, rattlesnakes, and cottonmouths out here over the years.

Probably turtle.
HuttoAg27
AG
That's possible, we have a pond across the street a few hundred yards down.
agcrock2005
AG
What is the picture of? The leave looking things in the middle?
HuttoAg27
AG
I guess the picture is not great, but they are definitely old eggs of some sort. (Yes the leaf looking things, the actual dead leaves are much browner and more the color of the dirt)
HuttoAg27
AG
Hopefully these pics are a little better

frorge
AG
ID please? Saw this posted on FB from a friend and the pattern looks like a copperhead to me. But I'm definitely not an expert.

ATX_AG_08
AG
Definitely a water snake. Northern water snake I believe.
nealan
That's a pretty brave little girl!
frorge
AG
Whew! Yeah they're a wild bunch. Thanks yall
agz win
AG
Yikes
Watchful Ag
AG
Are we still posting other reptiles? Saw this little box turtle munching on a mushroom this morning.

Freestone County

12f Mane
AG
All reptiles welcome
Daddy-O5
AG
Beat me to it today.

Got this one in my backyard. Dog was trying to get to him.
Sea Speed
AG
I really like turtles, except the ones in my pond.
JayM
Texmid said:

I see a copperhead tail.

ETA: I guess I should have zoomed in.
You are kidding I think.
Copperheads do the pit viper variation of live birth.
12f Mane
AG
HuttoAg27 said:

Hopefully these pics are a little better

These are turtle eggs. When you see a nest like that with shells broken and on the surface it typically means the nest was predated on, probably a raccoon.
KT_Ag08
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Are we still posting other reptiles? Saw this little box turtle munching on a mushroom this morning.

Freestone County

He already looks zooted out of his skull after his fungi snack.
Texmid
AG
No, there is a stick below and left of center that deceived me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.