Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wind Farm Lease Questions

8,555 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by two1993ags
Ribeye-Rare
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How far away do these wind turbines need to be before you can't hear them? {I realize folks also object to the blinking red lights, though}.

I had a neighbor tell me the wind farm boys are looking in Fayette County and the area they've been looking is one of those places where it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop. It's cool, though, to hear a cow or two moo off in the distance. It's very peaceful, and like nothing I've ever experienced anywhere else.

That land in Fayette is getting up in $$ and having a wind farm around seems like a good way to turn $20K/acre land into $4K/acre land, but I'm not speaking from a position of actual knowledge on that.

Thanks for any insight.
OnlyForNow
AG
It'll depend on tons of outside factors, namely nacell height and blade length, and surrounding topography mostly.

I've worked under some of the tallest in the state and I think the "noise" they generate is overblown in most folks opinion, meaning it does produce a noise but it's not actually loud.
two1993ags
I can confirm they are actively pursuing land to lease. We own land in western Fayette county-spoke to land man about the lease last week. We're about to start building our retirement house. Really don't want turbine's obstructing sunset views from top of our little hill.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Thanks for that information.

I used to think projects like this (and the 1,600 acre solar farm being built in Muldoon) had to have relatively cheap land in order to work. Maybe not.

While I suppose Fayette land is cheaper than in some of the surrounding counties (I'm seeing 30K/acre in some adjacent counties) it's still not cheap. Particularly around Round Top, some people turn down O&G leases because shale oil money pales in comparison to land values.

BTW, congratulations on your retirement home. Fayette is a nice place to be. It's quite the contrast from life in Houston or Austin.
Doctor51
AG
Absolutely ask if they are going to put crypto mining facility on it and pay a royalty. They now connecting them in our area where windmills are going in after all contracts signed. I now (tinfoil) believe these were intended all along.
Texarkanaag69
AG
Have some farmland in Lynn County SE of Lubbock. Several years ago we were approached and I asked them to send me a copy of their lease. When I finished reading it my opinion was that they had more rights than we did with easements for access, placement of pads, not to mention interference with farming operations. Think the superior rights of mineral interests and multiply by 10. I responded with the above issues and never heard back. If you're seriously thinking of leasing, as Canyon suggested, get legal advice from an attorney who has experience in that field and knows the "uhohs" so you can avoid the "uhohs." My law practice didn't extend into that area but I've seen enough O and G leases to know you need counsel before you jump into that water.
rme
AG
Your lease can restrict allowable uses. If they want to do something other than wind, they should pay up for it.
Texarkanaag69
AG
rme said:

Your lease can restrict allowable uses. If they want to do something other than wind, they should pay up for it.
If they're farming it or have it leased out for farming I'd suggest getting the farmer involved. The guy that farms ours also farms some other land-cotton-and those folks wish they hadn't allowed them. Again, I'd suggest getting legal counsel to guide you through the process.
two1993ags
Thanks. My wife and I both grew up there and graduated LaGrange high school. We live in Katy but we're at the farm every weekend we're not at Kyle field. We bought farm right next to wife's family land 18 years ago now. Paid $4,000/acre and got 100% of the minerals-bought another piece 4 miles west of that 8 years ago for $8,000/acre. You won't find anything anywhere close to that price anymore.
But I really don't want a turbine between me and the sunset every evening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.