Elden Ring Trailer Leak

40,434 Views | 560 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by DallasTeleAg
Prime0882
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, she was a 2-shotter. Then I spent 8 attempts on a guy in the church of vows.
If that's one of the bosses that spawn at night, the Ball Bearing guy, F all of those bosses... I FINALLY beat the one at the Warmaster's shack last night after realizing I could get on my horse and did not have to always stay either up close or really far away. That guy's attacks always made it feel awkward to engage him and I have no clue why I forgot about my horse for that one...

He, the Bloodhound boss, and the Crucible Knight have all been my biggest challenges as a ranged magic user.
chase128
AG
Prime0882 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, she was a 2-shotter. Then I spent 8 attempts on a guy in the church of vows.
If that's one of the bosses that spawn at night, the Ball Bearing guy, F all of those bosses... I FINALLY beat the one at the Warmaster's shack last night after realizing I could get on my horse and did not have to always stay either up close or really far away. That guy's attacks always made it feel awkward to engage him and I have no clue why I forgot about my horse for that one...

He, the Bloodhound boss, and the Crucible Knight have all been my biggest challenges as a ranged magic user.
Holy crap you can mount up for those guys?! Thank you!
chase128
AG
I just finished Sorceress Sellen's quest line last night. Anyone else decide to help her? Holy moley....
Prime0882
AG
chase128 said:

I just finished Sorceress Sellen's quest line last night. Anyone else decide to help her? Holy moley....
As an Astrologer who wants all the magic stuff I can get it's my plan to help her out. Going to try and see if I can start Ranni's questline tonight after getting through the manor in NW lakes.
chase128
AG
You get some good stuff for a mage if you help her.
DallasTeleAg
I finally got to the upper area of Norkon, last night, after beating Radahn and having the falling star blast a hole in the ground. That was pretty awesome how it changed the landscape.

However, I couldn't find Blaidd anywhere near the hole, though he told me to meet him there.

I still need to find more Ball Bearings, so I can buy more smithing stones.

Volcano castle is what I will work on, today, at level 105.

I am trying my best to find most things without looking them up, but I am getting to the point where I just may have to look up where to find the other ball bearing guys.
chase128
AG
Want a hint about Blaidd?

I was literally just doing this part at lunch like 10min ago.
DallasTeleAg
chase128 said:

Want a hint about Blaidd?

I was literally just doing this part at lunch like 10min ago.
I'll probably just end up looking it up. I don't want to miss anything on my first play through, if I can help it.
bbattbq01
AG
Have just spent the last couple play sessions wandering around looking for dungeons and exploring. Map is massive. STILL haven't found a way to get to the northeast part of the map.
zip04
AG
I can't even beat the first guy in a cave (Farum Azula)…. His reach and closing speed gets me as I'm trying to jump or roll out of the way.
zip04
AG
I posted that after dying 10 times and then I beat him….
DallasTeleAg
bbattbq01 said:

Have just spent the last couple play sessions wandering around looking for dungeons and exploring. Map is massive. STILL haven't found a way to get to the northeast part of the map.
It looks like you have to go through the capital city, somehow.

I've basically cleared it, but afraid to go on because I want to unlock the northeast, but it looks like the path is taking me to the Erdtree, and I don't want to beat the game before exploring the entire map.
DallasTeleAg
Morgott was a punk. One shotted.

Though, I am level 105... so...
AgsWin2011
AG
Never played the Souls games. Would it be a mistake if I picked this up completely blind and just started playing, or do I need to familiarize myself with the previous games (other than that they are apparently hard as ****)?

Don't have a ton of time to game but have a PS5. Would like to play some current gen games.
DallasTeleAg
1. This game is huge. If you don't have much time to play, it will probably take you a year to beat. I have around 96 hours played, and am not done, yet. I am also relatively experienced at From games, so I don't die as much as you probably will while learning.

2. It's a From Software game. If you haven't played one before, be ready to rage. You will die hundreds and hundreds of times, minimum. There is no easy mode in these games.
TriumphForks
AG
It is tough if you approach the game the way it was intended to be approached. There are literally millions, maybe billions of ways you can configure your character, items to use, weapons, builds, summons, special abilities, spells, etc. Literally every boss is cheesable in some way because there's no way for the devs to account for every possible thing that can be done in the game. Now the cheese is hard to figure out on your own but there are people who have figured out how to completely break the game and nearly one shot bosses that otherwise would be very difficult.

All of that is to say don't let the difficulty scare you off. This is a generation defining game. Just like there are whole hosts of games that try to be dark souls, for years to come people will be trying to make the next Elden Ring. It is a masterpiece. Don't pass it up. If you get stuck look it up. Someone out there has found a way to make a mockery of each of the bosses that are supposed to be intimidating. If you are like me and are a glutton for punishment you will find a way to brute force your way through. This week I will be starting an end to end walkthrough of the game on YouTube, very much geared towards helping new players learn what to do… for no other reason than i am passionate about these games and I want to help reduce the barriers that keep people from playing some of the best games of all time. If you decide to start playing and have any questions along the way just ask on this thread and me and I'm sure others are always willing to help.
AgsWin2011
AG
Thanks for the info. The game looks fun and amazing. One more question: Do you have to spend a lot of time crafting weapons, armor, food/spells, etc? I tend to not like to waste time doing things like this in game and just want to play. For instance, I'm not a big fan of Elder Scrolls games. Nothing wrong with it, just not really my type of game.

I like games like Uncharted and Horizon Zero Dawn (need to go back and replay the original since I never beat it before buying the new one) where it's a good story and it kind of leads you along the way. I like open world games as well (Zelda BOTW, crafting wasn't too bad in this game, but still not my favorite thing to do).

Just don't want to drop $70 and not like the game type. Sorry for some stupid questions.
bbattbq01
AG
You don't need to do any crafting. The only stuff you craft are consumables to make ammo for ranged weapons or to add some extra damage to your weapons. The only thing I've crafted is ammo.

The story in these games is not straight forward. You get bits and pieces of it from NPCs and various bits of info you find scattered around. You're not going to get huge expositions vomited out at you. I think I'm 60 hours in and still don't know a whole lot more about what's going on than some basics on who some major players were in the shattering.
rangerdanger
AG
Heismenberg said:

Just don't want to drop $70 and not like the game type. Sorry for some stupid questions.

Saw you said you had PS5, and I assume you have a PS+ subscription? If so, download Bloodborne for free and try that first. It's part of the PS Plus collection.

If you like the gameplay/grind, Elden Ring simply adds jumping and a huge open world.
chase128
AG
I finished up Ranni's quest line, moved on to the Capital.

The size of the capital is overwhelming, almost intimidating. The knights in this castle are all mini-bosses by themselves: Shields that block almost all magic damage, they don't get staggered, they have insane reach and damage with their weapons, and they can cast magic. Then there's the great bow knights.

Most spells are not effective against them, unless I use ones with large FP cost. Which in turn makes it difficult to explore since my FP runs low and the capital is packed with these guys. I'm having to adapt my strategies, which is fine. I'm going to explore the Fortified Manor area next, which I just came across, then work my way up the tree roots in the city.

If anyone has some tips for taking on the knights, I'm open to hearing them!
bbattbq01
AG
My strategy is to run
chase128
AG
Oh, before I forget, should I progress through the Capital now and do Volcano Manor later? Or do the Manor first?
bbattbq01
AG
I haven't read spoilers but from one of the bosses I found in the capital and from some of the dialogue I *think* you end the game in the capital. I decided to bugger out and do other stuff first before going back.
TriumphForks
AG
I'd suggest capital first.....no other reason than that's how I did it haha
BAP Enthusiast
chase128 said:

I finished up Ranni's quest line, moved on to the Capital.

The size of the capital is overwhelming, almost intimidating. The knights in this castle are all mini-bosses by themselves: Shields that block almost all magic damage, they don't get staggered, they have insane reach and damage with their weapons, and they can cast magic. Then there's the great bow knights.

Most spells are not effective against them, unless I use ones with large FP cost. Which in turn makes it difficult to explore since my FP runs low and the capital is packed with these guys. I'm having to adapt my strategies, which is fine. I'm going to explore the Fortified Manor area next, which I just came across, then work my way up the tree roots in the city.

If anyone has some tips for taking on the knights, I'm open to hearing them!

Every time I think I am decently powerful I go to a new area and get steamrolled a number of times. The game is designed very well to allow you to get powerful but then also reminding you that everything else is also very powerful.

Being surrounded by 4 wolves or rats is almost as difficult to handle as any boss.
DallasTeleAg
chase128 said:

Oh, before I forget, should I progress through the Capital now and do Volcano Manor later? Or do the Manor first?
You can't even fight the Volcano Manor boss until you get to the giant mountains, which require you to go through the capital.

I too was afraid I was going towards the end of the game, but you aren't. Clear the capital and more opens up for you.
DallasTeleAg
TriumphForks said:

It is tough if you approach the game the way it was intended to be approached. There are literally millions, maybe billions of ways you can configure your character, items to use, weapons, builds, summons, special abilities, spells, etc. Literally every boss is cheesable in some way because there's no way for the devs to account for every possible thing that can be done in the game. Now the cheese is hard to figure out on your own but there are people who have figured out how to completely break the game and nearly one shot bosses that otherwise would be very difficult.

All of that is to say don't let the difficulty scare you off. This is a generation defining game. Just like there are whole hosts of games that try to be dark souls, for years to come people will be trying to make the next Elden Ring. It is a masterpiece. Don't pass it up. If you get stuck look it up. Someone out there has found a way to make a mockery of each of the bosses that are supposed to be intimidating. If you are like me and are a glutton for punishment you will find a way to brute force your way through. This week I will be starting an end to end walkthrough of the game on YouTube, very much geared towards helping new players learn what to do… for no other reason than i am passionate about these games and I want to help reduce the barriers that keep people from playing some of the best games of all time. If you decide to start playing and have any questions along the way just ask on this thread and me and I'm sure others are always willing to help.
Cheesing a boss completely removes one of the best things about From games... the feeling of elation when you defeat a boss.

I do agree that there are so many ways to build your character that some bosses will be easier for some versus others, based on your build.

One thing I always try to impart onto new players is about attribute management. Choose a direction and put the skill points in the specific attributes. If you spread them about too much, it will make the later game so much harder. For example, if you are going with a Dexterity build, only put enough Strength, Arcane, Int, or faith into the minimum you need to wield the weapon you want. Everything else needs to go into Dexterity, Vigor, and some Endurance.

Also, I see so many newer players dump so much into Vigor for more HP. You only need enough HP not to get 2 shotted by enemies. I have always played Souls games with the mantra, "Kill Quickly". I focus so much more on damage than I do on survivability. Every enemy telegraphs their attack. You must learn to avoid being hit, completely, to beat later game bosses. Putting 10 extra points into your damage stat instead of your HP stat will always be better.

I'm at level 120 right now, I dual wield daggers or a spear, and I have 36 in Vigor and 72 in Dexterity. I usually get my Vigor to around 20-25 in the early game, and then focus on damage dealing until i'm at around 50. Then I usually do about 2 to 1, damage to HP.

Endurance is another trap attribute. Only get enough to wear what you want to wear. The stamina boost isn't that great, and later bosses will not give you enough time to use your entire bar of stamina before you have to book it. Learn to manage your stamina better, and do more damage per hit.

To re-iterate: Learn to Kill quickly and avoid being hit.

I think this is one of the best things Bloodborne taught me and others. Previous Souls games had people just walk around, holding shields up. That is just a slow method and not fun at all. Bloodborne finally said, "No more shields! Learn to play, instead!"

EDIT: My stats, currently:

Vigor: 36
Mind: 20 (Increased to give me 100 FP for summons and weapon ash)
Endurance: 20 (increased to provide Med Load with my gear)
Strength: 16 (Increased to equip my spear)
Dexterity: 72
Intelligence: 9 (haven't touched)
Faith: 8 (haven't touched
Arcane: 17 (Enough to use my dagger. It's actually 20 from attribute increase from my helm)
TriumphForks
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

chase128 said:

You can't even fight the Volcano Manor boss until you get to the giant mountains, which require you to go through the capital.

I too was afraid I was going towards the end of the game, but you aren't. Clear the capital and more opens up for you.
You sure? What would lock you out from fighting him before the Capital? I am almost positive you can get there without going thru the Capital. There is an NPC that will warp you to the manor on the Altus Plateau. Not sure what the requirements are for her to show up but I've seen it happen. Even without warping I'm pretty sure you can travel to that side of the map without visiting the Capital first.
DallasTeleAg
I don't want to ruin the questline for you. Go for it and you'll see.
TriumphForks
AG
Oh I agree whole heartedly.... I do not cheese bosses. But if that is the difference maker for convincing someone to try the game vs not then by all means do what you have to do. I am very stubborn with how I play. I realize not everyone gets the same satisfaction I do overcoming some of the obstacles. With my playstyle some of the obstacles are self-imposed.

Also agree with honing your stats towards a "build". Don't spread your stats too thin or you won't be able to do anything particularly well. I didn't put a single level into Arcane or Intelligence the entire game. I find in ER the soft caps are a bit higher than they are in other Souls games so I put more levels into HP than I typically do. Found it was almost necessary for late game stuff. My final level was 150 which again is higher than what I'd do in most From Software games first playthrough.
TriumphForks
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I don't want to ruin the questline for you. Go for it and you'll see.
Hmmm does that quest not become available till after the Capital? I'm not 100% on the interdependencies on questlines. Anyhow there is an entire dungeon in Volcano Manor that takes you to the boss the long way that is accessible as soon as you get to the manor.
chase128
AG
The quest at the manor becomes available as soon as you get there.

You can follow through with the quest, and to complete it requires going past the capital. Completing the quest grants you access to a boss in the Manor.

Or you can forgo doing the quest and head into the "dungeon section" and get to the boss that way.
chase128
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

chase128 said:

Good to know I have some options. I was definitely worried about missing out.

Your post got me curious and I had to read a little about how the Manor quest was going to work.
DallasTeleAg
chase128 said:

The quest at the manor becomes available as soon as you get there.

You can follow through with the quest, and to complete it requires going past the capital. Completing the quest grants you access to a boss in the Manor.

Or you can forgo doing the quest and head into the "dungeon section" and get to the boss that way.
Oh really? I never found a path into the manor dungeon I only found the questline, completed it, and was sent straight to the boss.

Struggled with him a few times until I realized I could upgrade that weapon... turned it to easy mode.
zip04
AG
Adapting to the mechanics and controls in this game. Definitely getting a lot better at it. Only at a level 20, but definitely hooked on this game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.