Are "Jesus Revolution" and "Unsung Hero" a turning point?

3,507 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Faustus
Hey...so.. um
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw unsung hero last night and it was great. True story focusing on family values and prayer. David Smallbone struggles with Pride like I think most fathers experience.

These are both big production movies, not low cost Kirk Cameron movies (no offense to him, I really like some of them).

Does the success of these films represent a turning point where solid nuclear family becomes the norm again? Or is this just wishful thinking?
Saltwater Assassin
AG
I hope you are right, but the enemy will never stop. Ever. Remain vigilant.
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
damiond
wishful thinking

there is so much high production entertainment that focuses on family values and faith but is ignored

i thought passion of the christ might change things around at one point and instead this nation has become more like sodom and gomorrah
ts5641
I pray every day there will be a revolution in this country and that we'll see the light and the truth of Jesus. I pray that it starts with me. Maybe these movies are the beginning of that movement.
Agthatbuilds
Smallbone is an unfortunate last name
Hey...so.. um
Agthatbuilds said:

That is why Rebecca St. James wasn't Rebecca Smallbone lol
YouBet
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

It really is. And then the other lost opportunities like Mike Penix, the Washington Huskies QB. While they still took partial advantage of it, they had a golden opportunity to name him Hugh.
BrazosDog02
AG
Eh…Jesus Revolution was a long and drawn out movie. It drove me further from religion than I was. It should have been titled "Leveraging Jesus for Financial Independence".

I hope unsung hero will be better but the JR wasn't great. Acting was good. Cast was awesome. Maybe "Jesus Revolution II: Joel Osteen Ministries" will get the point across.
Old Army Metal
AG
The fact that I have no idea what you're talking about indicates they might not have the reach you're hoping for.
Sea Speed
AG
I can not be the only one who has literally never heard of these movies.
BrazosDog02
AG
Sea Speed said:

I can not be the only one who has literally never heard of these movies.

There are so many little indie movies that it's virtually impossible to keep up. I only heard of them because my ultra right people that live on ultra right social media feeds managed to snag it and tell me how great it was.

Being the kind of guy that doesn't want to fall into communism if I don't watch a good Jesus movie, I of course obliged. It features Jesus Christ from The Chosen.

Ona side note, I feel like the actor portraying Jesus on the chosen is going to suffer the same acting fate as Carlton from fresh prince. I'll never see that guy without seeing Jesus.
Im Gipper
The answer to OP question is "no".

I'm Gipper
NoahAg
Unsung Hero is a great movie regardless of it being a "faith movie." Mostly great acting. Great message, well done.
Hey...so.. um
Old Army Metal said:

The fact that I have no idea what you're talking about indicates they might not have the reach you're hoping for.

The fact that you have never heard of them probably means you need Jesus more than you know.
Im Gipper
Hey...so.. um said:

Old Army Metal said:

The fact that you have never heard of them probably means you need Jesus more than you know.

We all could.

Perhaps he prefers Church and the Bible to biographies of Christian Rock bands.

I'm Gipper
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Huh?
Hey...so.. um
Im Gipper said:

Hey...so.. um said:

Old Army Metal said:

We all could.

Perhaps he prefers Church and the Bible to biographies of Christian Rock bands.

100% we all do. Perhaps he does but based on previous posts I doubt it. I prefer Church and the Bible to movies as well, but God can use all mediums to reach people. It isn't an either or situation.

You call it bibliography, but I would call it a testimony. The movie has nothing to do with the band For King and Country other that it is about their family.
Four Seasons Landscaping
God can use anything to bring people to him but I'm always going to approach a business enterprise (which a movie that charges admission is) as a business before I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt as outreach.

There's nothing biblical selling tickets to hear the Word. Paul set an example of working at night so he wouldn't burden the Thessalonians by making them feed him.
Hey...so.. um
1I'm good with that. I don't think we really disagree.

I think sometimes those two things can align.
BrazosDog02
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

God can use anything to bring people to him but I'm always going to approach a business enterprise (which a movie that charges admission is) as a business before I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt as outreach.

That's why we stopped doing church. Church is a business too. They just use fancy words like "tithe". It's more palatable than "admission".
Hey...so.. um
BrazosDog02 said:

That's why we stopped doing church. Church is a business too. They just use fancy words like "tithe". It's more palatable than "admission".

You're at the wrong church. There are churches that are not businesses. I pray uou keep looking and don't give up on church just because people suck.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

Mock religion all you wish. I'll pray for you.
BigRobSA
NoahAg said:

Unsung Hero is a great movie regardless of it being a "faith movie." Mostly great acting. Great message, well done.

Username checks out!
Athanasius
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Old Army Metal said:

Username fits.
annie88
AG
I saw Jesus revolution a few months ago.

Thought it was very good.

The guy that played the young minister has played Jesus a few times and other shows.

And I do plan to watch Unsung Heroseven though I've really never listened to King & Country's music.
Jack Boyette
BrazosDog02 said:

Dude this is so far off base it hurts, and it's obvious that when you were "doing church" you completely missed the point.
Hey...so.. um
You don't even have to know who they are to enjoy the movie.
annie88
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

You don't even have to know who they are to enjoy the movie.

I figured that. The preview looked good.
_lefraud_
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

These are both big production movies, not low cost Kirk Cameron movies (no offense to him, I really like some of them).

Well Kirk's sister is in this one…
NoahAg
_lefraud_ said:

Hey...so.. um said:

Well Kirk's sister is in this one…

Executive producer as well. Her acting role was very minor though.
BrazosDog02
AG
Jack Boyette said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Dude this is so far off base it hurts, and it's obvious that when you were "doing church" you completely missed the point.
It's not off base at all. I felt the same until I realized It only seems that way beecause I bought into the informercial. We were invested. It's the sunk cost fallacy that keeps a lot of people going back.

We found that 97% of church goers are not there for anything more than checking a box. After 30 years of church, and raising a family with a part of it, we just stopped going. The family is all catholic and we all backed out. We don't buy it. It is far more useful to seek truth on your own, ask the hard questions, and research for yourself. The pomp and circumstance of church, especially the big money Catholic side is fluff and distraction.

If you study the ministry of Jesus, you'll find that the whole church business gig is completely out of line with it. You don't have to agree, I'm not interested in debating it. It's a decision we made as a family and it suits us better. We are not the kind that show up, throw a few bucks in the plate, and then accept the sermon as it comes. We read. We study. We question. We seek the answer. We are not interested in spoon feeding.

Jesus is where you need to be focusing.

Ask your fellow patrons what they are doing Sunday. They will likely say "we have to go to church". Think about that statement and what that means.
Ag4life80
AG
The answer you seek is a personal, heartfelt relationship with Jesus Christ as the savior of your soul. You can't earn anything yourself. His grace bought and paid for it all.
Hey...so.. um
BrazosDog02 said:

Jack Boyette said:

BrazosDog02 said:

It's not off base at all. I felt the same until I realized It only seems that way beecause I bought into the informercial. We were invested. It's the sunk cost fallacy that keeps a lot of people going back.

We found that 97% of church goers are not there for anything more than checking a box. After 30 years of church, and raising a family with a part of it, we just stopped going. The family is all catholic and we all backed out. We don't buy it. It is far more useful to seek truth on your own, ask the hard questions, and research for yourself. The pomp and circumstance of church, especially the big money Catholic side is fluff and distraction.

If you study the ministry of Jesus, you'll find that the whole church business gig is completely out of line with it. You don't have to agree, I'm not interested in debating it. It's a decision we made as a family and it suits us better. We are not the kind that show up, throw a few bucks in the plate, and then accept the sermon as it comes. We read. We study. We question. We seek the answer. We are not interested in spoon feeding.

Jesus is where you need to be focusing.

Ask your fellow patrons what they are doing Sunday. They will likely say "we have to go to church". Think about that statement and what that means.

I am really sorry for your experience with church. I get it. My parents are similar as they both grew up church of christ with some crazy rules rooted in out of context scripture and full of the people you described who are checking a box.

I love what you are doing, but I think you are missing out on a local church with people like you who are seeking Jesus with all their heart, studying scripture and applying it to their everyday lives. These people and churches exist. I would encourage you to try to find one.
BMX Bandit
adjusted for inflation, Passion of the Christ made about 10X what these movies are going to make at the box office. don't know if they are good movies or not, but in terms of "turning point" they will move the needle as much Anaconda 2, hunt for blood orchid.

They sound like nice wholesome family entertainment. Nothing at all wrong with that and it's a shame Hollywood ignores this is a market
2wealfth Man
AG
Jesus Revolution looks and feels like it is a production of the "He Gets Us" backers...has that same inclusivity vibe (que feet washing scene in the trailer).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.