*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

49,133 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 52 min ago by Madmarttigan
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Spilner, go find the directors cut of the Lynch Dune movie. It is like 2 hours longer and has a lot more info.

It used to come on TV in basically in 2 2-hour Miniseries.
I'm interested in this version as well, if you find it BES or someone else.
Decay
AG
I watched the Lynch version the other night. Well, finished it because it took a few nights.

Holy hell is Denis' version so incredible in comparison. It's the same source material and yet two completely different experiences.

They do cover a lot of the book details, excruciatingly, but then there's just some crazy detours that make no sense. In DV's version it's just there and goes largely without explanation. I love Dune. I'm on book 5 now. But I'd probably die of boredom from a version of Lynch's Dune that was 2 hours longer.
Decay
AG
Oh and I watched like ten minutes of the sci-fi channel series. At that point I realized I'd rather read the books.
C@LAg
Chipotlemonger said:

Also doesn't his son have the same name exactly? If it is the son who becomes a worm that's probably why I am rusty on the history of it.
Leto 2 Electric Boogaloo
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C5N-8C9suw9
Cinco Ranch Aggie
bluefire579
AG
Finally saw it today. Really enjoyed it. The change in Chani took me a bit off guard, but more than anything just interested to see how they reconcile it in the third movie.

As I was telling my wife while leaving, let's just give Villeneuve all the best sci fi adaptations from now on, just love his work.
C@LAg
bluefire579 said:

The change in Chani took me a bit off guard, but more than anything just interested to see how they reconcile it in the third movie.
saw it this morning. enjoyed it for the most part as well.

agreed re: Chani. The changes to her character made her off-putting.

Also disappointed we did not get the book version of the Baron's ending.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C4ouPC1sWCH
Ornithopter
AG
I think the changes to Chani were to turn her into what Paul's internal monologue was in the book. I'm fine with it.
TCTTS
AG

hunter2012
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Digital next week...

TCTTS
AG
While the physical versions have been officially revealed and are available for pre-order...

YNWA_AG
AG
Sad that it won't have imax ratio on the 4k Blu-ray
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wtf? This makes no sense.
TCTTS
AG
That hasn't been confirmed yet, but it's not looking good. I'm waiting to see confirmation from Warner Bros or someone like Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits, who's one of the best sources out there. And as of two days ago he thinks it might actually have the IMAX ratio, but a bunch of other less trustworthy sources are saying it won't. We should find out soon.
TCTTS
AG
And there it is. F/cking hell, this is so stupid...

TCTTS
AG
All Christopher Nolan physical releases since 2008 have featured the IMAX ratios, most of which were Warner Bros releases just like this. Same goes for Warner Bros' home releases Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Zack Snyder's Justice League. Along with the home releases from other studios, like First Man, Nope, Mission: Impossible: Fallout, and Top Gun: Maverick. The list goes on and on.

So why the hell doesn't either Dune physical release feature the IMAX ratio?

It sure as hell isn't Villeneuve's doing, as he doesn't even sound like he knows what's going on, seeing as he's straight up wrong about the first movie's aspect ratio on physical, and IMAX doesn't release movies to physical, rather the studios do...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's just so ****ing stupid to waste the extra real estate on TV's when you SHOT THE MOVIE in a larger format and have it available.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

Not to mention, as opposed the first movie, EVERY SINGLE SCENE was shot in IMAX.

Even all three trailers released online in the IMAX ratio, which I'd never seen before.
RED AG 98
AG
Dammit that sucksssss. Hopefully it eventually comes out in proper ratio.
TCTTS
AG
I thought we would for sure get a two-movie set that would upgrade the first movie to the IMAX ratio, since the second movie was so heavily advertised/sold as being completely in IMAX from start to finish. Combined, they're basically one long movie anyway, it would have been the perfect combo/upsell, and I would have absolutely paid more/"double-dipped" since I already own the first one on 4K UHD.

But no, instead, they're literally taking screen real estate away from the second movie, and leaving money on the table by not upgrading the first.

Maybe, yeah, down the line there will be a two-movie combo release with the proper IMAX ratio for both, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.
TCTTS
AG
RED AG 98
AG
So disappointed. I was a May 14th buyer of the 4K BluRay but I'm probably out for a while now. Hopefully it doesn't take years but I'm not going to hold my breath. Studios managed that Full Screen / Wide Screen stuff on DVDs in the 90s / early 00s better than this...
Noblemen06
AG
Now I am especially glad for the TexAgs tip off that the IMAX run was extended. We saw it originally at the Drafthouse in standard format. I caught an IMAX screening yesterday and It is simply a better movie in IMAX - spectacular in every sense of the word. Shame the home release won't have the whole picture.
cc10106
Finally saw it on IMAX last night. I haven't been that amped up during a movie in a long time. DV is the man.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

I thought we would for sure get a two-movie set that would upgrade the first movie to the IMAX ratio, since the second movie was so heavily advertised/sold as being completely in IMAX from start to finish. Combined, they're basically one long movie anyway, it would have been the perfect combo/upsell, and I would have absolutely paid more/"double-dipped" since I already own the first one on 4K UHD.

But no, instead, they're literally taking screen real estate away from the second movie, and leaving money on the table by not upgrading the first.

Maybe, yeah, down the line there will be a two-movie combo release with the proper IMAX ratio for both, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Well, we're getting the 2-film collection, just not in the IMAX ratio, which now makes it even less likely there will be a 2-film IMAX ratio release down the line…

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Now then... the big news today is that Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment has officially set Denis Villeneuve's Dune: Part Two (2024) for release on Blu-ray, DVD, 4K Ultra HD, and 4K UHD + Blu-ray Steelbook on 5/14, just as we expected. The Digital release is due on 4/16, which is just a week away.

Look for the 4K disc to include HDR10 high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos audio. Unfortunately, we've confirmed with the studio that the aspect ratio for all of these SKUs will be 2.39:1 only, matching the previous release of Dune: Part One (2021) on disc. These discs will not replicate the variable IMAX aspect ratio in 1.78:1, like the studio's past 4K releases of Christopher Nolan's films do (including TENET, Dunkirk, The Dark Knight, etc).

This is something that a LOT of Dune and 4K fans very much want. Since the discs went up for pre-order a few weeks ago, I've gotten many hundreds of questions about it. And since I shared the 2.39 confirmation on Twitter yesterday, the post has been seen by more than 1 million people! So there is clearly very keen interest in a disc release that does have the IMAX ratio. Hopefully, Warner is planning an IMAX 4K and BD disc re-release in the future.
RED AG 98
AG
And it's not on Fraser or DV... sounds like it's purely WB:

TCTTS
AG
That's so frustrating.

Maybe Villeneuve simply isn't as hands-on with the home/physical releases as Nolan and other filmmakers? Which seems unlike him, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Hopefully either Villeneuve or Warner Bros is getting wind of this, though, because the "outcry" has been massive.
RED AG 98
AG
I sure hope so. It's not an especially difficult problem for them to solve; I hope the noise is enough to make a difference.

And your point at DV is not being as personally involved seems like a good guess. We know that Nolan was pretty adamant on his last few releases.
YouBet
AG
Obviously a money grab. All kinds of people will go ahead and buy now and then same people will buy again later when it's inevitably released in imax. It's the Star Wars model. [I've seen this movie before /gif]

I'm not buying. I'll wait for the IMAX versions.
Cromagnum
AG
Finally got the wife to see it. She hated it. Mostly because she thought Paul's character transition was too sudden and too drastic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.