*** KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES ***

9,281 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk said:

IIIHorn said:

The Planet of the Apes of Wrath.

Journey to the Center of the Planet of the Apes
What's Eating Gilbert Ape?
TCTTS
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
Any new trailers?
TCTTS
AG
Sunday. New Super Bowl spot.
Big Al 1992
AG
That was a good trailer. "What a wonderful day!"
TCTTS
AG
Kingdom of the Planet of Apes
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11389872/
May 10, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

The Porkchop Express
Need a planet of the Horses. Whether it's use or the monkeys, horses are constantly getting enslaved.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
C@LAg
The Marksman
AG
I thought the new trailer was amazing and it's really got me excited for this movie!
Big Al 1992
AG
So until this comes out, rewatched the Caesar trilogy. Great shows. Then watched the OG Planet of the Apes 1968, first time since watching in early teens. Good story, classic Heston, hot Nova.
Then I watched the first sequel - 1970's Beneath the Planet of the Apes. It picks up where the original left off.
What did I just watch?! New astronaut that looks a lot like Heston crash lands looking for Heston. More apes and more of the same chasing the man, caging the man, etc. The man and Nova do escape to what was formerly New York - abandoned subways and NY landmarks. Then they run into a cult of bomb worshipping humans with fake heads that do mind control. They find Heston and *spoiler* the movie concludes with a Sopranos like ending. Do I watch the next couple of sequels or is it more of the same 70's craziness?
Antoninus
TCTTS said:

This next trilogy takes place between the two franchise eras (omitting the 2001 Tim Burton/Mark Wahlberg remake)...

2011 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2014 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
2017 - War for the Planet of the Apes

2024 - Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
20?? - [X] of the Planet of the Apes
20?? - [X] of the Planet of the Apes

1968 - Planet of the Apes
1970 - Beneath the Planet of the Apes
1971 - Escape from the Planet of the Apes
1972 - Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
1973 - Battle for the Planet of the Apes

... so do with that information what you will.

As noted earlier, next year's Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes takes place 300 years after 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes. That said, we have no idea how long before 1968's Planet of the Apes 2024's Kingdom takes place. There's also, of course, the possibility that Kingdom could be leading up to a complete re-imagining/remake of 1968's Planet of the Apes. So less of a bridge between the two eras and more charting a new course.
Conquest (1972) and Dawn (2014) tell basically the same story (ape revolt against humans). War (2017) and Battle (1973) tell basically the same story (but less so than Conquest/Dawn), with a battle for supremacy between declining humans and ascendant apes.

ETA: Kevin Durand as the "big bad" in the new film ... should be awesome.

ETAA: I do not find Freya Allan even remotely attractive in Witcher, but in the Kingdom trailer, she is jaw-dropping hot as a brunette. Weird.

Antoninus
Big Al 1992 said:

Do I watch the next couple of sequels or is it more of the same 70's craziness?
they are definitely 1970s films. And honestly the production values went down with each film, as they cranked them out very quickly o meet the demand. on top of that, they were slashing the budget. Each subsequent film had a budget about half out of the previous film, despite the fact that the first film had produced revenue almost 5 times the amount of money they spent on it.

they are all Campy fun, but none of them is the classic that you experienced with the first film.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Those suits are amazing. Makes me wonder why they didn't use suits on the movie, seems like you'd save millions.
Faustus
The Porkchop Express said:

Need a planet of the Horses. Whether it's use or the monkeys, horses are constantly getting enslaved.

Planet of the Centaurs.
Like the apes they'll conceal their true origin, which in this case involved some unfortunate, err horsing around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently watching through some reactions of Rise, Dawn, and War, as a refresher, and man...I forgot how incredibly good these movies are.

In fact, if we put the MCU aside, I'd go so far as to say it might be the best franchise of the 2010's. And y'all know I love me some F&F. But this franchise just did not miss.

It's kind of a bummer none of our previous apes like Caesar, Maurice, or Rocket will be in the next movie, cause this trilogy had some incredibly good character development. We literally go along Caesar's entire life journey.
TCTTS
AG
IMO, it's definitely the best trilogy of the 2010s. It's maybe even the second best trilogy of the century, behind The Dark Knight trilogy, up there with/potentially surpassing the original Bourne trilogy and the Ocean's trilogy.
jeffk
AG
THIS IS FAST AND FURIOUS ERASURE
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reminder that Wes Ball was tapped to direct Legend of Zelda.

Seems like a home run choice now.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I'm not going to watch this, so close to release, but for those curious...

EclipseAg
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

So until this comes out, rewatched the Caesar trilogy. Great shows.
I actually did this Sunday, when the weather was bad. Stayed in and rewatched all three.

I liked "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" the most just because it had the most variation of story and locations. But all three were indeed great.
The Porkchop Express
Just once I want a planet of the apes movie where they are the worst and the human heroes curb stomp them. All of them. And take back our gd planet
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.