Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

50,188 Views | 543 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by BenTheGoodAg
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eliminatus said:

Was thinking that a Chet and Norm focused "mystery adventuring" team would be cool as hell.

Did anyone else really, really enjoy the subplot of them exploring and discovering secrets in Vault 32 like I did? Kinda surprised me actually how much I did. I wanted them to keep going with that. I know that particular plot had to conclude obviously but made me realize I'd love a mystery/horror/investigation side piece to this. (If done right of course). I'm a massive lore nerd in this setting but have always focused on the direct confrontation stuff but there is so much dark mystery in Fallout I think another super creepy subplot could easily be had. Especially with the vaults.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited for potential spoiler-ish stuff
That is one of my favorite parts of the games. Thought they captured it perfectly.
Eliminatus
AG
Oh that scene was completely fine. It was meant to be a surreal, almost ethereal experience and they nailed it perfectly with the music on it. There were just some other scenes with no real overt need to have it IMO. At least not in the amount they decided to do.

And I can see where our difference comes from. I always played a Ranger long distance sneaky sneak type and rarely had the music playing so I could hear voices and footsteps much better. And the times I did, it was solidly in the background and more ambiance than actual active listening. There is no mistaking the flavor and mood of the music in Fallout and it for sure hits the nostalgia buttons but it seemed like every other switch in setting had it going. Just me though and again, I acknowledge it's a tiny nitpick.
Eliminatus
AG
bluefire579 said:

Eliminatus said:

Was thinking that a Chet and Norm focused "mystery adventuring" team would be cool as hell.

Did anyone else really, really enjoy the subplot of them exploring and discovering secrets in Vault 32 like I did? Kinda surprised me actually how much I did. I wanted them to keep going with that. I know that particular plot had to conclude obviously but made me realize I'd love a mystery/horror/investigation side piece to this. (If done right of course). I'm a massive lore nerd in this setting but have always focused on the direct confrontation stuff but there is so much dark mystery in Fallout I think another super creepy subplot could easily be had. Especially with the vaults.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited for potential spoiler-ish stuff
That is one of my favorite parts of the games. Thought they captured it perfectly.

Agreed. This, more than anything else, had me raring to go start up yet another file. I am that player that as soon as the vault door opens I take off for the nearest butterfly and MAY get around to starting the main story line about 80 hours in. Exploring is my favorite part and now that I truly think about it, delving into dark and creepy places where horror has been visited on was always something I loved most and Fallout has lots of interesting laces that deliver on this front. I was that nerd sneaking around and picking up notes and holotapes to unravel the atrocities that happened. It's what got me into Fallout in general all those years ago, I think. The stories of how awful humans can be, especially to each other. Fascinating stuff.
EclipseAg
AG
One thing that confused me -- as someone who had never played the games -- is the 1950s aesthetic.

The story originates in 2077, right? Yet everything in the U.S. -- fashion, decor, television, automobiles -- is from the 1950s. What's the reasoning there?
DallasTeleAg
It's been explained several times in this thread.

This is simply a stylized alternate universe where the microchip was never invented, and everything runs off atomic energy. It's just part of the aesthetic of the Fallout world.
EclipseAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

It's been explained several times in this thread.

This is simply a stylized alternate universe where the microchip was never invented, and everything runs off atomic energy. It's just part of the aesthetic of the Fallout world.
Sorry .... latecomer to the thread since I didn't think I would watch the show and I haven't read through all 14 pages.

It's an interesting concept but it threw me off in the beginning as I kept trying to figure out the timeline.

DallasTeleAg
I think one of the biggest things to understand for anyone coming to the show with no experience of the games or without someone who played the game sitting next to them is: do not take this world seriously.

In the same way that the One Piece show pretty much adapted anime into live action, this show is adapting the Fallout video game to live action. Yes, it's a unique story, but the showrunners obviously were not trying to make a realistic version of Fallout. They adapted not just the world, but all the video game logic, as well.

Also, my post was not meant as negative, moreso to encourage you to go back through the thread and find all the posts about this, so we aren't rehashing many different posts.

I will say, the most unrealistic thing about the show for me was in Episode 2. When the doctor is escaping with Dogmeat, and the turret basically fires hundreds of rounds at him and misses, that was kind of stupid in either video game or real world logic.

For anyone who has played the games, we all know those damn turrets are freaking accurate as hell. You put one little piece of your body within line of sight, and those damn turrets are lighting you up.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Yeah it's called retrofuturism and specifically something referred to as "atompunk".

Basically if Chernobyl/ three mile island never happened, and Nixon got his Project Independence, where nuclear energy basically created a cheap and limitless form of clean energy.
Average Joe
AG
If I didn't hear "I don't want to set the world on fire" in the series then it was going to be a failure to me.
Breggy Popup
AG
If it's a Mk VII turret yeah you'll get messed up. Mk I turrets are fairly inaccurate and easy to kill.
DallasTeleAg
The hell you say! They don't kill you quickly, but those things still hit you a lot.
Breggy Popup
AG
Maybe the professor was playing on easy and had high luck.
AgLaw
AG
Average Joe said:

If I didn't hear "I don't want to set the world on fire" in the series then it was going to be a failure to me.

Years ago, I remember when my teenage son walking through the house singing that song, and I had to wonder what the hell was going on that he would be listening to that kind of music.
agracer
AG
Never played the game but really likes the show. Loved the ending.

There was the rolls eyes moment when all the big corps were meeting at Valtec and the "these companies make America great" line was uttered ….Hollywood just can't help themselves!
Breggy Popup
AG
agracer said:

There was the rolls eyes moment when all the big corps were meeting at Valtec and the "these companies make America great" line was uttered ….Hollywood just can't help themselves!

Had nothing to do with Hollywood and everything to do with the game lore.
aTmAg
AG
Breggy Popup said:

agracer said:

Had nothing to do with Hollywood and everything to do with the game lore.
I've never played, but I thought the game plot had a totally different cause of the nuclear war. That it was China or something. Not some cabal of evil CEOs that had a Hollywood-level (aka zero) understanding of economics and thought that they could make money by killing almost all of your customer base.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The games never outright say who caused the war, but there are hints at a few different causes. There are many hints it was China. I think fallout 2 has a supercomputer/AI you can find that hints it caused the war because it had become depressed. Other characters just say the nuclear war had become inevitable.

I've also seen a few folks point out that just because Vault Tec said it was willing drop a bomb, that doesn't mean it dropped the bombs.
Thanks and gig'em
jeffk
AG
Yeah, we still don't know who launched the first attack. The show just gave us another possible culprit.
maverick2076
In Fallout 3, if you look at the bomb in Megaton, the Vault-Tec logo is on the side.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, we knew they manufactured weapons previously.
aTmAg
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

The games never outright say who caused the war, but there are hints at a few different causes. There are many hints it was China. I think fallout 2 has a supercomputer/AI you can find that hints it caused the war because it had become depressed. Other characters just say the nuclear war had become inevitable.

I've also seen a few folks point out that just because Vault Tec said it was willing drop a bomb, that doesn't mean it dropped the bombs.
Well the show picked the most eye rolling option possible. That whole boardroom scene was hilariously bad. Makes James Bond villains seem realistic.
G.I.Bro
aTmAg said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

Well the show picked the most eye rolling option possible. That whole boardroom scene was hilariously bad. Makes James Bond villains seem realistic.

Eh, I'm usually the first one to eye roll at America/capitalism bad plot lines but this gives the characters a local and tangible bad guy for future plot lines. It also jives with the game lore.
aTmAg
AG
G.I.Bro said:

aTmAg said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

Eh, I'm usually the first one to eye roll at America/capitalism bad plot lines but this gives the characters a local and tangible bad guy for future plot lines. It also jives with the game lore.
How does that jive with the game lore? The post I responded to listed a bunch of possible causes implied by the game, and not one of them include this ridiculous one.

And one doesn't have to make a villain laughably terrible to create future plot lines. Lot's of other shows have well written villains that are complex, have legit reasons they do what they do, and so forth. I haven't seen one this bad since David Hasselhoff's evil twin brother in Knight Rider.
Breggy Popup
AG
aTmAg said:

G.I.Bro said:

aTmAg said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

How does that jive with the game lore? The post I responded to listed a bunch of possible causes implied by the game, and not one of them include this ridiculous one.

And one doesn't have to make a villain laughably terrible to create future plot lines. Lot's of other shows have well written villains that are complex, have legit reasons they do what they do, and so forth. I haven't seen one this bad since David Hasselhoff's evil twin brother in Knight Rider.
You've never played the game but you want those who have to explain it? The lore is immense. How about you go play all the games, find some videos or read the 42,000 page wiki about it and then a conversation can happen.
BadMoonRisin
AG
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

Im just gonna post this. It explains a lot, including where a lot of the games start and end.\

I believe this is a comprehensive timeline according to all of the lore you can find in the game, from computer logins, notes, etc. from Fallout 1 - Fallout 76 and even includes timelines now from the show, which is pretty cool...to me anyways.

2077 it really starts popping off -- it says that the Chinese attempted to sabotage the Hoover Dam and January of that year, the battle of Anchorage is fought which repels Chinese forces from Alaska. And that's the year that the bombs fell.

So it was China who started it all, it seems.
TCTTS
AG
This thread has officially been aTmAgged.

jeffk
AG
He's not interested in learning anything new here.
aTmAg
AG
Breggy Popup said:

aTmAg said:

G.I.Bro said:

aTmAg said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

You've never played the game but you want those who have to explain it? The lore is immense. How about you go play all the games, find some videos or read the 42,000 page wiki about it and then a conversation can happen.
Somehow reading a 42,000 page wiki or playing the game will make me realize that what I saw on screen wasn't a terrible villain and that it really IS a viable business strategy to kill off all your customers?

Okay...

Maybe instead, they should have made what was actually on screen good?
BadMoonRisin
AG
You dont have to read 42k pages, bro.

Read this. It will take you 10 minutes and answer all of your questions.

Or dont, Im not your dad -- I dont give a *****
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

He's not interested in learning anything new here.
What's needed to learn to make one think that these laughably poorly written villians were good?

That's like saying that I'd realize that tic-tac-toe is really as advanced as chess if only I would listen to the F13 more.
aTmAg
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

You dont have to read 42k pages, bro.

Read this. It will take you 10 minutes and answer all of your questions.

Or dont, Im not your dad -- I dont give a *****
Damn that is long. Can you highlight the part where killing your customers becomes a viable business strategy?
aTmAg
AG
My original question was simply this:

Was this villain this stupid in the game too? Or was that a decision by the show producers? At first I got "no" and now "yes".

I'm wondering who to mock for their terrible writing skills.
BadMoonRisin
AG
no. i cant. i get it, you dont like the show or the game for that matter.

**** off. no one owes you *****
aTmAg
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

no. i cant. i get it, you dont like the show or the game for that matter.

**** off. no one owes you *****
I liked the show in general (especially at first). But that villain reveal took it down about 20 notches. It went from good to below average. I put it at about the level of walking dead. I still stuck it through about 80% of that show.

And I don't think anybody owes me ****. But I don't owe you fake glowing praise for a below average show either.
BadMoonRisin
AG
no one cares

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.