*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,307,024 Views | 27043 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Aggie_Journalist
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
Justin Kroll needs better command of the English language.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
It being set in a different universe confirmed now? I know we've speculated.....
TCTTS
AG
Marvel hasn't officially said as much, but the city skyline in one of those officially-released pieces of promotional art basically confirm it.
jokershady
AG
And sigourney weever right?
C@LAg
jokershady said:

you are confusing this with that unnecessary The Mandalorian movie which she has been cast in.
Sex Panther
AG
Really looking forward to Natasha Lyonne's portrayal of Dr. Doom
The Porkchop Express
C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

you are confusing this with that unnecessary The Mandalorian movie which she has been cast in.
All movies are unnecessary.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
C@LAg
The Porkchop Express said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

yes. but some, like a Mando centric movie, are even more so than others.
The Porkchop Express
C@LAg said:

The Porkchop Express said:

C@LAg said:

jokershady said:

yes. but some, like a Mando centric movie, are even more so than others.
Well, that's like your opinion, man.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed
AG
That's gay
TCTTS
AG
C@LAg
i look forward to the Aunt May/J Jonah Jameson buddy-movie.
double aught
AG
Nowhere to go but up.
C@LAg
double aught said:

Nowhere to go but up.
yes, and no.

the problem is that Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales... all are variations of the same thing.

it is fun when they are all together interacting, but individually, it will get boring and repetitive way too quickly

wish Sony would just sell the rights back to Disney for $1-2BB, take the cash, complete their purchase of Paramount, and go to town with some Paramount IP.

or at a minimum, sell back the live-action rights and retain the animated movie ones.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

jokershady
AG
Popped up in my feed….super old video but still wholesome as hell and a joy to watch….

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

I hear Tom Holland may not be coming back for Spider-Man 4, but rather… a whole new Spidey trilogy.
This isn't earth-shattering news producer Amy Pascal said as much back in 2021 - but that was the feedback I received while asking around about who Marvel is looking at for Spider-Man 4. Nothing has been officially decided yet, but Marvel may be seeking someone with a multi-picture commitment in mind.

Besides Justin Lin, whose name surfaced early on as a possible director, I haven't heard any other names for Spider-Man 4, which makes sense given that today I was told that Marvel is "back to square one" on meetings with filmmakers.

The sequel was supposed to shoot this fall, according to sources, and while Holland's schedule still allows for such a shoot, it's unclear if that's still the plan.

What is clear is that the studio is also taking its time with this all-important hire, as Kevin Feige understands the weight of this decision as well as others, such as who will write the X-Men reboot and who will direct the next Avengers movie.

Yes, Marvel is still driving the creative when it comes to Sony's Spider-Man franchise, so don't expect to see past Sony hires like Ruben Fleischer (who worked with Holland on Uncharted and is busy directing Now You See Me 3), Fede Alvarez (who like Sam Raimi, directed an Evil Dead movie), Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows helmer who whiffed on Black Adam), Jake Kasdan (who directed Sony's hit Jumanji franchise) or Kelly Marcel (the Venom scribe who directed the next entry in that franchise).

I did hear that Greg Berlanti's name was tossed around for Marvel's new Avengersmovie(s), and while that idea was ultimately dismissed, it's possible that it could pop back up again for Spider-Man 4. He has plenty of experience with superheroes thanks to the CW's Arrowverse.

Other directors I considered included Dev Patel, who directed the hell out of the fight scenes in Monkey Man, Adam Wingard, who plans to direct A24's Onslaught next, and Doug Liman, who is riding high off the streaming numbers for Road House, though his 2021 movie Chaos Walking is likely too fresh in Holland's memory to merit putting him serious contention.

Meanwhile, J.A. Bayona gave Holland his big break in The Impossible, and he's tackled high-profile studio assignments before, having directed Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but he's hot off of Netflix's Society of the Snow, and I hope he continues making visceral dramas like that. Spider-Man 4, dare I say, feels a bit beneath him at this point.

With all of that in mind, here are 10 (or so) directors I could see taking over the Spider-Man franchise for Marvel and Sony.

John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein
- Before directing Game Nightand Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Daley and Goldstein actually came up with the story for Spider-Man: Homecoming, which they also co-wrote. Few know this franchise as well as them, and they got a taste of big-budget filmmaking on the D&D movie, plus, I've heard good things about their upcoming Apple movie Mayday starring Ryan Reynolds and Kenneth Branagh both of whom are Marvel veterans, mind you.

David Leitch
- The Fall Guy may not have met Universal's lofty box office expectations but Leitch is still one of the hottest names in action and knows how to deliver the goods in that regard. He landed one of the hottest franchises in town Jurassic Park before exiting that project, proving that he's in demand. I don't know what kind of approach he had planned for that film, but I wonder if he could apply it to the Spider-Man franchise, which could benefit from a heightened visual aesthetic.

Adil and Bilal - I haven't seen the new Bad Boys movie yet, but I liked the last one they did well enough, and they got screwed over by DC when Warner Bros. Discovery decided to take a tax write-off on their Batgirl movie. It would be amazing if they were offered a home at Marvel, and Feige would be justified, as Bad Boys: Ride or Die is tracking to open strong this summer north of $50 million. They'd also be the first filmmakers of color to direct a live-action Spider-Man movie. And I'm told Feige really liked their work on Ms. Marvel, which goes a long way. Speaking of Marvel alums…

Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead - Other than Synchronic, I have not liked these guys' movies, but they are already very much on Marvel's radar. In fact, they're already part of the family, having directed Moon Knight, Loki, and Daredevil: Born Again. Are they ready to apply their magic touch to Marvel movies? I honestly don't know… but Marvel does.

Michael Sarnoski - A Quiet Place: Day One looks and feels like it's going to be one of the biggest movies of the summer, and everyone adored his first film, Pig. I'm very curious to see how he takes to big-budget filmmaking, but from what I've heard about Paramount's prequel, I think Sarnoski should be firmly on Marvel's radar.

Ilya Naishuller - I've long been a fan of Naishuller, who burst onto the scene with Hardcore Henry, which offered jaw-dropping action sequences presented from the perspective of the protagonist. He followed that up with Nobody, which turned Bob Odenkirk into an action hero. Up next is the Idris Elba-John Cenaaction-thriller Heads of State, which continues his career progression. Spider-Man 4 makes sense as the next step in his Hollywood journey.

William Eubank
- I know what you're thinking. Who? The director of The Signal, Underwater, and Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin? Yes, that guy. That's how impressed I was by Land of Bad, the B-movie starring Liam Hemsworth that was way better than it had any right to be. And the first half of Underwater is pretty good, too. Of all the people on this list, Eubank reminds me the most of Jon Watts, and I really think that with access to all of Marvel's tools, he could be just what Feige is looking for.

Juel Taylor - Taylor is the writer of Creed II and Space Jam: A New Legacy (featuring the voice of Zendaya), but he turned heads with his feature directorial debut, They Cloned Tyrone, the Netflix movie starring John Boyega and Jamie Foxx. I wasn't personally a big fan of that film, but it boasts high scores on Rotten Tomatoes, and quite frankly, Taylor is the kind of young Black filmmaker Marvel (and Hollywood in general) should be investing in, as he has a bright future. He just needs a bigger opportunity.

Lee Isaac Chung - Twisters may be a giant question mark in the eyes of some, but I think it looks pretty good, I hear it's pretty good, and I think it's going to perform well. Until I see it, I can't be sure that Chung is "Marvel material" but I suspect he may be, given how he jumped from Minari to a huge FX-driven blockbuster that could have him in high demand once the dust settles on the summer box office.

Rose Glass or Celine Song - Yes, this was originally going to be an all-male list not by design, just how it shook out but I forgot that I'd be flayed online for such an unforgivable oversight, so here are two female filmmakers I think would do a great job with Spider-Man 4, should they wish to pursue it. Rose Glass impressed the hell out of me with Love Lies Bleeding, and what are these Spider-Man movies if not love stories? I also wonder… if Holland is coming back for three more movies, is Zendaya as well, or might she just do one more? And if that's the case, is Glass the right director to (gasp!) potentially kill off MJ, if that's the creative decision Marvel comes to? Meanwhile, Song showed a great feel for New York and young love in Past Lives, while I doubt she'd agree to board this franchise, I've learned to never say "never" when it comes to Marvel, which I never thought would hire Chloe Zhao to direct Eternals. Song is currently working with Chris Evans, Dakota Johnson, and Pedro Pascal on her follow-up film, Materialists, so while I have no idea if she wants to make a big comic book movie, perhaps her three leads have espoused the virtues of being able to vacillate between big, commercial movies and more personal projects.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed
AG
I really hope something like this makes it in to the movies. Pretty sure I've mentioned it several times.

rhutton125
AG
Been saying this for a while. Symbiote + Black Cat to tempt Peter toward the dark side? Maybe Daredevil to teach him that a civilian life is worth fighting for? Kingpin (and maybe Scorpion for fights) as the main villain?

Baby you got a stew goin' right there.

Edit: Scorpion is also the second Venom so if they want to differentiate from the Sonyverse they could bypass Eddie Brock altogether. I don't love the idea but it's cleaner that way.
Quinn
AG
Celine Song for Spiderman 4 is an insane pull. Now I need Holland, Zendaya, and Elordi to recreate the Past Lives poster.
redline248
AG
So, the biggest news is the possible loss of Tom Holland as Spider-man...would that then mean they also don't continue with Zendaya?
rhutton125
AG
It says they think he's signing on for not 1 more, but 3 more.
bluefire579
AG

NM
redline248
AG
Oh, I can't read today, apparently.
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

Oh, I can't read today, apparently.
nah I had to re-read that several times to make sure I was interpreting it correctly…cause my first thought was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
jackie childs
I've been surprised at Holland's relative lack of success in films outside the MCU, so yeah, it probably makes sense for him to re-up
C@LAg
jackie childs said:

I've been surprised at Holland's relative lack of success in films outside the MCU, so yeah, it probably makes sense for him to re-up
sony is desperate enough he might start making some lower-tier RDJ-in-the-MCU type money.
Farmer1906
AG
I guess I hadn't realized it but most of his other films has flopped. I thought his voice acting was good in Onward & Spies in Disguise. I appreciated his role in the Devil all the time.
C@LAg
Farmer1906 said:

I guess I hadn't realized it but most of his other films has flopped. I thought his voice acting was good in Onward & Spies in Disguise. I appreciated his role in the Devil all the time.
he is just not a good actor by himself or as a lead.

he is OK enough playing off of others, but has not shown the ability to carry anything by himself.
Farmer1906
AG
Agree to disagree. He just hasn't been in a great movies.
First Page Last Page
Page 770 of 773

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.