Women's Tennis 2023/2024

270,895 Views | 3501 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by bigfoot10s
Ag4eva95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You are taking that the wrong way. It's Mark's reputation on the line, not Carson's. I didn't mean he is about to lose his job. This team had the potential for a natty, but our roster management/development didn't go too well. We are literally one solid player away from seriously competing but this year that luck didn't fall our way.

Daria, Jeanette, and Gianna have taken steps back. No 8th player to potentially throw out there for a top 10 roster.

aggiedrjdub
AG
Nobody is calling for Mark's job. What he's done is amazing. But like others have said, it was a big swing and a miss to not have a plan. I think we are fine a 1 doubles (will have a few losses) and 1-4 singles once Lucianna gets acclimated. 5-6 singles and 2-3 doubles is what will hurt us. And as many have pointed out, you cannot rely on lines 1-2 to win every match at this level. On this team, though, we should be able to rely on lines 5-6 and line 3 doubles to win MOST. We haven't had that luxury for 2 years now.
Quail
Ok, so what can we expect from today's match? I know 0 about Auburn.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Much of the same I'm sure.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Match has started. Better start in doubles today.

aggiedrjdub
AG
Aggies take the doubles. Line 1 with a solid 6-1 set. Line 2 was up 4-1, Auburn fights back to 4-4, and then Nicole and Lucciana refocused to win the next two games to win 6-4. Line 3…well…struggle bus again. Down 2-5, match point, before the match was called.

Aggies up 1-0 heading into singles.
Chapa96
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Aggies take the doubles. Line 1 with a solid 6-1 set. Line 2 was up 4-1, Auburn fights back to 4-4, and then Nicole and Lucciana refocused to win the next two games to win 6-4. Line 3…well…struggle bus again. Down 2-5, match point, before the match was called.

Aggies up 1-0 heading into singles.

Line 3 Doubles. Fitch has played all matches? And her record is what? I havent watched much at all this year. Just asking. Didnt Jeanette and Gianna play ok last year? Should we see this again or give Ellie a shot. Sure wouldnt hurt.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Good start in singles

aggiedrjdub
AG
She's been the mainstay and it seems like he's sticking with her and trying 3-4 other combos. She does seem more solid but nothing seems to be working. I watched their match and they couldn't get reruns into play and when they did they returned right to the net player for the most part. Gianna is very indecisive and her backhand is a liability.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Good showing today.

Aggie Tennis
AG
Solid win.

Quail
Will take that win! And an SEC opponent as well.
Chapa96
AG
Who we got next?
Quail
Wow, NC State is giving NC hell
Aggie Tennis
AG
NC State really challenging UNC. Lost doubles, but up 2-1 overall and have a chance on all remaining courts. Crawley goes down at #1.
Chapa96
AG
Aggie Tennis said:

NC State really challenging UNC. Lost doubles, but up 2-1 overall and have a chance on all remaining courts. Crawley goes down at #1.

Down goes UNC. Came down to a 3rd set tiebreak.

Aggie Tennis
AG
Chapa96 said:

Aggie Tennis said:

Down goes UNC. Came down to a 3rd set tiebreak.

That was epic. Now pulling for NC State to take the indoors.
aggietennisfan
Here are some things that I know in regards to the lack of filling the one scholarship. Lexington Reed is a top American that is signed for the fall of 2024. Been out with an injury for quite some time, but is now back playing very well. The scholarship had to be for one year. Polina and Carson were both options and things didn't pan out. They tried several girls on the transfer portal that chose other schools. Timing was a big factor and I think Mark ultimately ran out of options and time. To portray this as Mark was somehow negligent is so absurd that it is hard to take anyone seriously that is taking that angle. Nobody wants to win a national title more than Mark and Jordan and everyone that has ever been around them knows that. Anyone who says anything otherwise is just taking cheap shots.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Literally, nobody ever said that. You can be the best coach in the world, and want to do all the right things, and still swing and miss. It happens. That's not a reflection of him as a person or a hit against his character. We know how badly he wants to win. So do his players. So do his fans. That's why we are here. But the reality is, we are one player short. As a coach, that's on you. Doesn't mean he didn't try. We could all see that. Here to support the team regardless. Great win today. So happy for Jeannette especially. Gig'em
Aggie Tennis
AG
aggietennisfan said:

Here are some things that I know in regards to the lack of filling the one scholarship. Lexington Reed is a top American that is signed for the fall of 2024. Been out with an injury for quite some time, but is now back playing very well. The scholarship had to be for one year. Polina and Carson were both options and things didn't pan out. They tried several girls on the transfer portal that chose other schools. Timing was a big factor and I think Mark ultimately ran out of options and time. To portray this as Mark was somehow negligent is so absurd that it is hard to take anyone seriously that is taking that angle. Nobody wants to win a national title more than Mark and Jordan and everyone that has ever been around them knows that. Anyone who says anything otherwise is just taking cheap shots.

I won't try to speak for others. My perspective:

I love this team including all the coaches and the players. I realize I'm a fan and that the players and coaches are the ones that put in the work. I never question their desire to win.

All that can be true while still calling out the fact that we misplayed the open scholarship. And the fact that miss has shown up in many matches this year.

Mark is a seasoned professional trying to win an NCAA title. I suspect he appreciates the interest and support and can handle a little criticism.
Ag4eva95
Gianna hesitates at everything. She shouldn't be in that lineup. I'd like to see Jeanette and Fitch. Jeanette has good ball control
Ag4eva95
Think you are misreading the message. We all love these girls and this coaching staff. I wouldn't change a thing except playing the single scholarship differently. Everyone who posts here is in complete support of everyone and everything regarding Aggie tennis.

Fact is the coaches got unlucky and misplayed the portal. Took a gamble and lost, but it's costing them a bit with real depth. This team is still at least a Sweet 16 team, if Daria and Jeanette can put it together then more can happen. And of course #3 doubles. Still tons of potential.
Chapa96
AG
OSU up 3-0 on tu...but rest of the matches look tight.
bigtimeag1977
My two cents on the scholarship is it wasn't because of a lack of effort or a lack of a plan. I think anyone who is around the program would know that is simply not possible or could possibly be the case. Recruiting doesn't always play out the way you want it and there are a lot of great colleges out there for recruits to pick from. Kids just aren't going to wait around for Texas A&M and then not have anywhere to go. By the way, we just beat the number 14 team in the nation pretty easily and indoors. How about we enjoy a very good victory and rally behind the team.
bigfoot10s
AG
Anyone ever think that Mark and Jordan maybe didn't see anyone in the portal that fit our program and their coaching style, as well as how they would fit with the rest of the girls? Maybe there wasn't anyone other than Fitch and Khirin that fit the Aggie mold.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Chapa96 said:

OSU up 3-0 on tu...but rest of the matches look tight.

3-3 now. Last match on just split sets.
Ag4eva95
I mean, when you're one player short of a real shot at a natty, I think you take a gamble. We all know there is a real problem in doubles and 5/6 singles. While I still believe in the potential of Daria and Jeanette, who is really pushing them in practice to keep their spots? We lack depth
bigtimeag1977
There are 13 players on the team. My guess is they couldn't find anyone better than what they already have. Question for everyone. If you were selling Texas A&M to a teenage girl, what would you sell them on? Traditions? Recruiting is a tough sell in tennis. Not every kid wants to go to College Station. I'm sure Mark and Jordan went after every recruit that was available that could have filled in the gap, but just because they wanted the recruit doesn't mean the recruit wanted Texas A&M.
aggietennisfan
Location not in the top 25. Academics not in the top 25. Facilities not in the top 25. Traditions it is.
Gap
AG
Okla St wins 4-3. Great match.
Gap
AG
aggietennisfan said:

Location not in the top 25. Academics not in the top 25. Facilities not in the top 25. Traditions it is.

Great college town. Great location. Not everyone wants to spend 4 years in a city that was great decades ago. College Station isn't San Francisco and a lot of people don't want it to be and don't want to go to school or live in San Francisco in 2024.

If your academic program at A&M isn't a top 25 academic undergrad program that is on you.
Chruchie
AG
actually a ton of the top recruits from the northern states want to come play in southern states like texas, Mary and Daria have said this much. A&M is also the #1 public university in tx. besides lacking an indoor facility, ours is one of the most comfortable. plus incredible coaching and support to get to the next level if that's what they want.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Oklahoma State beats Texas 4-3.
Aggie Tennis
AG
In general, Mark and Jordan are excellent recruiters and we consistently have top ranked recruiting classes. The transfers of Carson, Salma and Nicole are crazy good.

Top players absolutely want to play for A&M and our coaches. Getting top transfers from USC and Texas says a lot.

We likely wanted a Polina, Carson, Nicole level talent to fill that last spot. Those players are obviously elite.

However, there are 100 players in women's college tennis with an 10.5ish UTR that would have made a huge difference.

This is where many of us feel there was a miss. We still have a lot of talent, the SEC is down a little, and I'll be supporting our team all year long.
Anchorhold
Seven of the eight matchups yesterday and five of the six consolation matches today have (or were) at least one rematch scheduled before conference tournaments. Ohio State is the only team that will not face an opponent of this weekend again until the NCAAs.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 101

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.