Vaccine Reluctance

84,142 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

yukmonkey said:

Some people will decide one way and some people will decide another way.

Why does each side care so much about convincing or influencing the other?

Because one side sees it as a community issue and the other a personal issue.

It is a community issue because while you may not get sick and die you can spread it to others that will get sick and die. That seems to be true.

It is a personal decision because it the community does not own your body, at least not in the USA. And it is your right to do what you want with your body. That also tends to be true.

Neither side is really wrong. What is frustrating to watch is when people ignore the obvious realities. That is where the fight is.
But there is a remedy for those who view it as a community issue - masks. Wear a mask. Wear two - or more. Wear an N95. Stay home.

And now is not the time to start arguing masks don't work. We spent a year counting on masks - mandating masks - to suggest masks don't prevent the spread of the virus means all the public health professionals were dead ass wrong for an entire year.
cone
AG
Quote:

We spent a year counting on masks - mandating masks - to suggest masks don't prevent the spread of the virus means all the public health professionals were dead ass wrong for an entire year.
masks might help

but it's comparing a 1% solution to a 99% solution
agsalaska
AG
wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

yukmonkey said:

It is a community issue because while you may not get sick and die you can spread it to others that will get sick and die. That seems to be true.

It is a personal decision because it the community does not own your body, at least not in the USA. And it is your right to do what you want with your body. That also tends to be true.

Neither side is really wrong. What is frustrating to watch is when people ignore the obvious realities. That is where the fight is.
But there is a remedy for those who view it as a community issue - masks. Wear a mask. Wear two - or more. Wear an N95. Stay home.

And now is not the time to start arguing masks don't work. We spent a year counting on masks - mandating masks - to suggest masks don't prevent the spread of the virus means all the public health professionals were dead ass wrong for an entire year.
That's not true. Since I am not allowed to argue that masks don't work, they were never supposed to help you if others did not wear them and were sick. That was never the message as I am sure you remember.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
wbt5845
AG
cone said:

Quote:

We spent a year counting on masks - mandating masks - to suggest masks don't prevent the spread of the virus means all the public health professionals were dead ass wrong for an entire year.
masks might help

I agree - the best path forward is getting vaccinated. But I am indifferent to anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated. Their body, their choice. Those who want them to get vaccinated for THEIR OWN benefit just need to wear a mask all the time.
wbt5845
AG
agsalaska said:

wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

yukmonkey said:

That's not true. Since I am not allowed to argue that masks don't work, they were never supposed to help you if others did not wear them and were sick. That was never the message as I am sure you remember.
You used too many negatives in that sentence for it to make sense.
agsalaska
AG
wbt5845 said:

cone said:

Quote:

masks might help

I agree - the best path forward is getting vaccinated. But I am indifferent to anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated. Their body, their choice. Those who want them to get vaccinated for THEIR OWN benefit just need to wear a mask all the time.
Do you realize in this argument that you are completely misrepresenting the purpose of masks?

And, for the record, I agree with you. I encourage others to get vaccinated but in the end it is their business.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
ORAggieFan
The entire mask argument was you wore it to protect others, not yourself. It's been a joke all along.
fig96
AG
cone said:

Quote:

we now actually have far more data on these than probably any other vaccine in history.
i hear this and agree

i'm fully vaccinated with mRNA

but given what you said is true, why still EUA for adults?

and why are EUA shots being extended down to adolescents? is that ethical?
Ok, EUA in a nutshell (from someone who's been in pharmaceutical testing in various capacities for 25+ years):

Full FDA approval requires long term studies in wide populations, including blind trials which the current timeline has not yet provided for. In the case of Covid vaccines full non-clinical work was done (i.e. is this safe for humans?) before undergoing Phase 1 and 2 clinical trials for safety and efficacy. Longer term animal studies and human trials are required for full approval.

Many drugs, particularly vaccines, have received Emergency Use Authorization before going on to full approval, and EUA is still very difficult to get and highly vetted by the FDA. It started back in the 80s with AIDS when people were dying while waiting on the full approval of drugs that already had large amounts of clinical evidence for helping their condition.

As with any drug there will be some risk, but in the case of a vaccine like this the benefits outweigh the risks by pretty much every measure.
agsalaska
AG
wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

yukmonkey said:

Masks were sold not to help the person wearing them but rather the people around them. That is why it is not a remedy like you said.

Is that better. I only used two.
wbt5845
AG
agsalaska said:

wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

wbt5845 said:

agsalaska said:

yukmonkey said:

Masks were sold not to help the person wearing them but rather the people around them. That is why it is not a remedy like you said.

Is that better. I only used two.

Yes I now understand. So people who are at risk can stay home.
wbt5845
AG
So wait a second - masks are one way?
cone
AG
what was the last vaccine administered to children under a EUA?
Bucketrunner
Probably the polio vaccine I got as a child when regulations weren't so awful.
JFrench
AG
Assumed so. Just trying to follow the logic of caring about someone who chose not to get it.

The impasse continues

aTm2004
AG
ORAggieFan said:

The entire mask argument was you wore it to protect others, not yourself. It's been a joke all along.
If you were paying close attention when the FDA reluctantly stated vaccinated people no longer had to wear a mask everywhere, you saw the narrative change from "the mask helps prevent spread of COVID to others" to the less noble "a mask helps protect you from getting COVID."
bay fan
S
planoaggie123 said:

Zobel said:

just to be clear here...you agree that 8% risk is preferable to 16%.

But you don't agree that 0.01% is preferable to 0.000001%...because 0.01% is smaller than 8%?

Sorry to step in on this but you are not following his arguments.

aTm2004 does not seem to be anti-vax as much as he is pro-choice.

Those death % are just so incredibly small and can be assessed individually as as healthy 30 year old is much different than a fat, diabetic 30 year old.

If you analyze your life in .01% (.0001) risks....that must be tough to even walk out of the house at times....
I too am sorry to jump in but I think the focus on "will I personally die" isn't the only factor. For some, being involved in spreading the virus and the community snow ball effect is also a part of the equation for getting vaccinated. This is not a single benefit issue.
Jbob04
AG
If you or anybody has the vaccine and are "protected" why do you care if someone isn't vaccinated? Do you not have faith in the vaccine?
The_Fox
bay fan said:

planoaggie123 said:

Zobel said:

just to be clear here...you agree that 8% risk is preferable to 16%.

But you don't agree that 0.01% is preferable to 0.000001%...because 0.01% is smaller than 8%?

Sorry to step in on this but you are not following his arguments.

aTm2004 does not seem to be anti-vax as much as he is pro-choice.

Those death % are just so incredibly small and can be assessed individually as as healthy 30 year old is much different than a fat, diabetic 30 year old.

If you analyze your life in .01% (.0001) risks....that must be tough to even walk out of the house at times....
I too am sorry to jump in but I think the focus on "will I personally die" isn't the only factor. For some, being involved in spreading the virus and the community snow ball effect is also a part of the equation for getting vaccinated. This is not a single benefit issue.

It absolutely is a single benefit issue. The rest of you MFers are on your own.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Interesting read on the subject on Bloomberg.com this morning that reinforces this notion. It charts a former vaccine skeptic who got whacked with a near-death case and has tried to evangelize unsuccessfully for the vaccine. His neice, who probably would be eaten alive by COVID, had the below comments.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-07-07/where-is-delta-spreading-u-s-midwest-rockies-as-trump-country-rejects-vaccine?srnd=premium

Quote:

In Springfield, vaccine doubters include Krauck's niece, Jennifer Davis. She hasn't had a shot and isn't inclined to get one. Four of her five children, all of whom are eligible, are also unvaccinated; she worries that a daughter who got the shots will suffer side effects.

She and her uncle are close and speak fondly of each other. But Davis, 41, believes the vaccines were developed too quickly and that a series of illnesses suffered by friends and their families are broadly linked to other vaccines. She wonders why people line up for shots, and trusts doctors less after a previous recommendation led to complications and a hysterectomy. Coronavirus doesn't seem that dangerous to her even given Krauck's experience.

"There hasn't been enough research done on it, and I'd rather take my chances with the virus than I would to get the vaccine. I trust my immune system," Davis said in an interview. "If I get it, and it's my time to die, then I get it and it's my time to die."

Davis supports Trump, but says not even the former president could change her mind. "It's silly that people think just because one man says 'go get it,' that we're going to line up and do it. Because it's not going to happen."

fig96
AG
Jbob04 said:

If you or anybody has the vaccine and are "protected" why do you care if someone isn't vaccinated? Do you not have faith in the vaccine?
I'm personally not overly concerned, but the more people that are vaccinated the less chance there is for spread to anyone.
fig96
AG
Didn't ask and I couldn't tell you. I'll try to mention if we chat again.
J. Walter Weatherman
fig96
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

fig96 said:

Jbob04 said:

I'm personally not overly concerned, but the more people that are vaccinated the less chance there is for spread to anyone.

Again, anyone who it spreads to has made the choice to not get vaccinated. So why should anyone care?
Again, this is not hard.

Less people with Covid lessens the risk for everyone whether vaccinated or not. Vaccines are not 100% effective and the less people with Covid the better.

Do I care? Not especially, but I understand why it's beneficial.
01agtx
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Interesting read on the subject on Bloomberg.com this morning that reinforces this notion. It charts a former vaccine skeptic who got whacked with a near-death case and has tried to evangelize unsuccessfully for the vaccine. His neice, who probably would be eaten alive by COVID, had the below comments.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-07-07/where-is-delta-spreading-u-s-midwest-rockies-as-trump-country-rejects-vaccine?srnd=premium

Quote:

In Springfield, vaccine doubters include Krauck's niece, Jennifer Davis. She hasn't had a shot and isn't inclined to get one. Four of her five children, all of whom are eligible, are also unvaccinated; she worries that a daughter who got the shots will suffer side effects.

She and her uncle are close and speak fondly of each other. But Davis, 41, believes the vaccines were developed too quickly and that a series of illnesses suffered by friends and their families are broadly linked to other vaccines. She wonders why people line up for shots, and trusts doctors less after a previous recommendation led to complications and a hysterectomy. Coronavirus doesn't seem that dangerous to her even given Krauck's experience.

"There hasn't been enough research done on it, and I'd rather take my chances with the virus than I would to get the vaccine. I trust my immune system," Davis said in an interview. "If I get it, and it's my time to die, then I get it and it's my time to die."

Davis supports Trump, but says not even the former president could change her mind. "It's silly that people think just because one man says 'go get it,' that we're going to line up and do it. Because it's not going to happen."

Wonder what he was treated with prior to hospitalization or if he even knew treatments were out there.
ORAggieFan
J. Walter Weatherman said:

fig96 said:

Jbob04 said:

Again, anyone who it spreads to has made the choice to not get vaccinated. So why should anyone care?

Are you incapable of reading this thread? It's been answered multiple times.
bay fan
S
aTm2004 said:

I am thinking about the individual, because at the end of the day, that's all we're ultimately responsible for. That's the ugly part of freedompeople are going to do things you don't agree with.

If someone doesn't get the vaccine, that's their choice. They've assessed the risks and made the decision they feel is best for them. At this point, people have had the opportunity to get it if they wanted to. It's time to stop with the shaming.
What is your opinion of this event that happened just this morning.

20 year old, unvaccinated girl shows up at her pediatricians office complaining about a sore throat. She spent the weekend at Tahoe with many others. She was roomed by vaccinated nurse who tested her for strep and after being told she also had a bad head ache, a COVID test though the girl insisted she didn't have COVID and seemed to not want to be tested but ultimately gave in. 65 year old, vaccinated doctor spent 10 minutes in room with her discussing symptoms and the benefits of being vaccinated. Her entire family has not been vaccinated. This young woman wanted antibiotics as she was flying to Texas this evening. Turns out she is COVID positive and likely her whole family is too. Though she only told doctor after she returned a positive test, most of her family is also symptomatic. The doctor had to explain many times the significance of not flying and exposing a plane full of others and ultimately didn't believe with any confidence this family won't fly anyway.

So, it's her right to not be vaccinated but she also chose to not disclose any of this to doctor/practice and went inside to expose everyone who came in contact with her at a pediatricians office. The entire practice will be effected for the next week due to that exposure.

Since you seem to understand the minuscule risk associated with the vaccine, do you really not see the value to society as a whole? What about the choice of others to not want to be exposed in their workplace by a less then forth coming patient or those who would chose not to fly with someone who has active COVID?

I am curious your thoughts.
GAC06
AG
She should have been forthcoming. Airlines I believe still make you state you're not currently infected, but people can lie. The people at the doctors office already made their personal decisions about the vaccine so there's not much to discuss there. Now this girl and likely some of her friends and family will have immunity and wound up helping society anyway.
planoaggie123
AG

Geez another one-off story.

So you just want government to line everyone up in a cow-pen and forcibly inject everyone?

If not, do you think we should have a nationwide temperature and symptom check that is done one or two three times daily? Do police or some form of government come out and arrest or ticket people that do not comply? Are companies going to get in and maybe impact jobs?

Another option is to give everyone a marker for getting it and we can effectively make the "pro-choice" (ie dont get covid vaccine) not have a certain marker and we can shame them in public and make it easier for companies to not service these disease ridden people?

What are your thoughts?

I see this as unfortunate but this kind of crap happened in the past with other diseases. This is not the first time a person, sick with a disease, boarded a plane. Just happens to be COVID. This wont be the last....

edit 1: remove the previous discussion to limit length

edit 2: add about impact with employer

edit 3: I realize you just want everyone to get it but reality is not everyone is going to. So we have to deal w/ that fact or force it to occur....
bay fan
S
It seems likely that family of active COVID patients is getting on a plane and flying to Texas tonight. Their choice will have ramifications on many people across multiple states besides all those inconvenienced at the doctors office this afternoon and the fact that the doctor and nurse due to their profession will be quarantined and more people will be inconvenienced over that time.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge in this Covid situation, individual choices really don't exist. Every choice effects others, whether for community good or otherwise.
coolerguy12
AG
Why on earth are the doctor and nurse quarantining? Aren't they vaccinated? Does the vaccine work or not?
Post removed:
by user
GAC06
AG
bay fan said:

It seems likely that family of active COVID patients is getting on a plane and flying to Texas tonight. Their choice will have ramifications on many people across multiple states besides all those inconvenienced at the doctors office this afternoon and the fact that the doctor and nurse due to their profession will be quarantined and more people will be inconvenienced over that time.

Why is it so hard to acknowledge in this Covid situation, individual choices really don't exist. Every choice effects others, whether for community good or otherwise.

Why would the doctor quarantine if he's been vaccinated? If he hasn't, that's a risk he took.

No matter how much you seem to want to enforce your will on others, you don't have that power. We can make our own decisions. If that scares you, you are free to stay home. We are not in this together and we never were.
bay fan
S
I don't think this is a one off. I think unvaccinated people have made the choice Covid isn't a problem for them and this is one of thousands of similar events every day that keep this virus alive and spreading when that doesn't need to be the case.

Post removed:
by user
bay fan
S
GAC06 said:

bay fan said:

Why would the doctor quarantine if he's been vaccinated? If he hasn't, that's a risk he took.

No matter how much you seem to want to enforce your will on others, you don't have that power. We can make our own decisions. If that scares you, you are free to stay home. We are not in this together and we never were.
Lol, of course you assume the doctor was a man. SHE is a pediatrician and though vaccinated, she had a lengthy, close exposure. If you can't understand why a doctor seeing an unvaccinated population would need to be cautious I won't bother to explain it.
You are right, I can not force my will on you, but you are doing just that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.