SEC Baseball Tourney

5,920 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Sean98
nereus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think playing 4-5 games in the SEC tournament will be a big toll on this year's team. We are a heavy hitting team. We don't want to stress out our pitching (and if we lose we lose - not that big of a deal), but our bats have the ability to carry us to a tournament title without really killing our pitching in the SEC tournament. If they do that, I don't think that is a bad sign for the big tournament.

1) Don't do anything stupid with our pitching
2) Just pitch our keys guys the amount you want to keep them in rhythm and set them up for the regionals
3) See how far our bats and some of our less experienced arms can take us but I am pretty high on our SEC Tournament chances just because of our sticks
twk
AG
dabo man said:

Move it to All-Sports Stadium, home of the Big 8 tournament and the first Big 12 one!! Wind blowing out at 40 mph and not a hint of that breeze at seat level, where it's terribly hot, and there's no shade. Damn the ball flew though.

I went to the first Big XII Tournament. Got the very last reserved seats. It was humorous to hear the OSU fans complaining about leaving that dump, but they lost their stranglehold on that tournament when it moved.
Wicked Good Ag
The SEC softball tourney is a prime example why unless I am just there for college baseball that i hate the system we have and the newer system we will go to when OU/t.u. get in

Two quarterfinals down and the 1 and 4 seeds are one and done

6 of the 13 teams so far are one and done....possibly 8 although I hope not for our sake
Sean98
AG
Honestly some of that is strategy. If you're in good position for the postseason, why wear your team out with a deep run in a meaningless tournament??

It's the reason I don't like postseason tourneys.

Wicked Good Ag said:

Of course this can't happen to the top 4 in the baseball format. They're guaranteed 2. Which I also don't love because it means you're more likely to have to go 3-4 g games if you're good.
dabo man
AG
My idea. Cancel both the SEC and ACC baseball tournaments. Have the two regular season conference champs play a best 3 of 5 that week. There's your national champ right there. Would *completely* undermine the regionals and MCWS.
SHSU-AG
Hopefully we use the SEC tournament to get the freshman arms a lot of work. This could be invaluable come regionals and beyond!
Hustle, hit, never quit!
Wicked Good Ag
Sean98 said:

Honestly some of that is strategy. If you're in good position for the postseason, why wear your team out with a deep run in a meaningless tournament??

It's the reason I don't like postseason tourneys.

Wicked Good Ag said:

Of course this can't happen to the top 4 in the baseball format. They're guaranteed 2. Which I also don't love because it means you're more likely to have to go 3-4 g games if you're good.
not sure of that for 2025
Wicked Good Ag
SHSU-AG said:

Hopefully we use the SEC tournament to get the freshman arms a lot of work. This could be invaluable come regionals and beyond!
especially when the roster expands a bit more for postseason
W
AG
so unless something crazy happens next weekend...

A&M is pretty much locked into the 4-seed

with a strong chance to rematch Georgia as the 5-seed
dixichkn
AG
W said:

If Georgia sweeps chomp chomp (which is starting to look pretty likely) we're gonna have to win 2 out of 3

Need Gatah to win at least one to give us some breathing room
jkag89
Quote:

If Georgia sweeps chomp chomp (which is starting to look pretty likely)
Certainly a possibility but sweeps in the SEC are rare. Despite their rather unFlorida like season, chomp chomp has only be swept once in SEC play and by all teams Mizzou.
Sean98
AG
W said:

Could get interesting for the final National Seed is we end up 4, Georgia 5 and they beat us. Would move the head to head to 2-2. Lots of moving parts but the Condon story line likely plays into this ridiculous committee decision. They'd have RPI, Tie at the head to head, Momentum, and Condon.
twk
AG
dixichkn said:

W said:

If Georgia sweeps chomp chomp (which is starting to look pretty likely) we're gonna have to win 2 out of 3

Need Gatah to win at least one to give us some breathing room
Georgia (16-11) is a game back of A&M (17-10) and we have the head to head tie breaker. Unless someone doesn't get all 3 games in (and this weekend, you can carry over and finish Sunday if you have to under the rules), then Georgia must do 2 games better against Florida than we do against Arkansas in order to edge us out for the 4 see. I think that's correct.
Sean98
AG
Correct.
Sean98
AG
Here's an interesting intra-conference stat from D1. It's the record of each team's opponents on the year, with the result versus "you" removed. I think most of us felt, at least early, that UT/UK/Ark got off to a hot start because they played the worst teams... and yet at the end of the day it appears A&M, purely from a record standpoint, has played the easiest schedule in the conference so far. ...in large part because we didn't play UK/UT, haven't played WooPig yet and can't play ourselves. Not surprising that the conference leaders are at the bottom.

Quote:

Intra-SEC Schedule Strength
Over eight weeks, these are the SEC opponents' records in other SEC games. Some people combine the records as is, and that is certainly easier, but this way removes your impact (positive or negative) on your opponents' records.

[ol]
  • Alabama 125-91 (.579)
  • Ole Miss 121-95 (.560)
  • Florida 117-99 (.542)
  • Georgia 116-100 (.537)
  • South Carolina 112-104 (.519)
  • Auburn 110-106 (.509)
  • Kentucky 108-108 (.500)
  • Missouri 107-109 (.495)
  • LSU 102-114 (.472)
  • Mississippi State 102-114 (.472)
  • Vanderbilt 98-114 (.454)
  • Arkansas 98-114 (.454)
  • Tennessee 98-114 (.454)
  • Texas A&M 96-120 (.444)
  • [/ol]

W
    AG
    just for fun...

there was a guy on youtube a few years ago who made a video about reaching Omaha vs. a deep run at Hoover

his theory was that it wasn't good to play in the final four at Hoover, if you wanted to be in Omaha

here's the final four from last year's SEC tournament:

Vanderbilt
    A&M
    Florida
    Arkansas

only the Gators made it to the CWS
    W
    AG
    same story in 2022

the final four at Hoover were:

Tennessee
    Florida
    A&M
    Kentucky

only the Ags made it to the CWS
    Wicked Good Ag
    seeing the other thread on future SEC tourney....more and more the ACC has it correct

Now single elimination

Unless a die hard baseball fan (which I am but also Aggie) I dont want to go all the way to Hoover for possibly one game to see my team

would rather save the time and money for regional and potential super regional play even if not at Blue Bell

W
    AG
    100% agree
    Agsncws
    AG
    jkag89 said:

Quote:

If Georgia sweeps chomp chomp (which is starting to look pretty likely)
    Certainly a possibility but sweeps in the SEC are rare. Despite their rather unFlorida like season, chomp chomp has only be swept once in SEC play and by all teams Mizzou.
    In 2024, there have been 63 series so far (9 weeks, 7 series per) and 20 of those series have been sweeps. Whether thats a lot or a little....I dunno?
    [url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
    Sean98
    AG
    Almost half of those involve Mizzou or Aubie
    Refresh
    Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.