SEC Baseball Tourney

6,105 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Sean98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting close to Hoover Met time with some curious possibilities. Florida may either need a 1 and done, or a deep run depending on how close they are to .500 overall. LSU and Ole Miss may need deep runs if they stumble vs Bama and A&M. If LSU takes Bama down they may need a bit of a run. Having the flu run through your entire team certainly wasn't helpful this weekend. Vandy isn't trending well, but they're potentially in play for a host if they right the ship. Georgia, Carolina and State could all lock down host spots with a good showing.

As preface, to be fair I am a noted hater of meaningless post-season tournaments, doesn't matter if it's a football conference championship game or basketball, baseball, soccer tourneys.

As of today the seeds would be: (Edited to flip Arkie & UT because I guess the top 2 seeds are the winners of each division)

1. Kentucky - bye
2. Arkansas - bye
3. Tennessee - bye
4. Texas A&M - bye
5. Miss State
6. South Carolina
7. Georgia
8. Vandy
9. Florida
10. Alabama
11. LSU
12. Ole Miss

It gets a little messy in the middle with the tied teams, so here's the SEC Tourney tiebreakers.

The Top 4 teams are all granted byes into the "double elimination" portion of the tourney. A&M is 1 game back of 3rd place WooPig (who is tied with Tennessee) and 2 games ahead of 5th place HailState. I think it's more likely that we end up #2 or #3 rather than fall to #5. Teams 5-12 face an elimination game immediately. If they win in the first round they move into a double elimination bracket until they reach the Championship game which is a winner take all game. The full bracket is available on the SEC website.

Here's what I want: (1) for A&M to win every trophy in front of them; (2) for A&M to not have to play a ton of games before the games that actually matter for something. Of course it's impossible for both of those things to occur. So I'd say I guess I hope we go 4-0, but I'd rather go 1-2 than have to play more than 4 games. The most games you can play on the week is 6, but no more than 5 if you get the initial bye.

The 8/9 game feeds into the #1 seed, 7/10 feeds into the #2, 6/11 into the #3 and 5/12 into the #4 seed. #1 & #4 are on the bottom side of the bracket with #2 & #3 in the top side. Single Elim games are Tuesday, May 21 with the Double elim portion beginning Wednesday, May 22. The Championship Game is Sunday, May 26.
Wicked Good Ag
I still think pool play is the way to go like the ACC does.

Using the list above here would be the four pools

Pool A

1. Kentucky
8. Vandy
12. Ole Miss

Pool B

2. Tennesee
7. Georgia
11. LSU

Pool C

3. Arkansas
6. South Carolina
10. Bama

Pool D

4. Aggies
5. Miss State
9. Florida

Winner of pool advances to semis

if there is no clear winner, highest seed advances from pool

Everyone is guaranteed two games, possibly four but that is the maximum

I havent made the trip to Hoover because either I dont want to go when it is single elimination possibility for us and or when were we guarenteed double elimination i had other things that made it not viable to go

Mikeyshooter
AG
Pool play makes for a terrible product. You end up with games that don't mean anything.

Wicked Good Ag
I would taka possibility of a meaningless game over traveling to see one game of a team and then head back in single elimination
Aston94
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Pool play makes for a terrible product. You end up with games that don't mean anything.
With just three teams in a pool it is really hard to have a meaningless pool game. The game will always mean something to one of the teams unless the both lost their first game to the third team.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Pool play is dependent on whether or not the selection committee puts any emphasis on conference tournament play. Even if you've been eliminated from getting to the semis, then winning that last game against what's possibly a NCAA tourney team could be helpful to you.

But if the committee doesn't care about conference tourney results, pool play can be a boring, meaningless format.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Hey...so.. um
Aston94 said:

Mikeyshooter said:

With just three teams in a pool it is really hard to have a meaningless pool game. The game will always mean something to one of the teams unless the both lost their first game to the third team.

Pretty easy for the 3rd game to mean nothing. First game: 2 lower seeded teams play. Second game: highest seed plays winner of first game. No matter how that game ends up, the 3rd game is meaningless. If the higher seed loses then a team is 2-0. If thr higher seed wins, they will be at worst 1-1 and thus advance because they are te higher seed.

I like the current format.
aggiebaseball12
No Friday game this year?
Sean98
AG
aggiebaseball12 said:

No Friday game this year?
bottom half of the bracket. 6:30pm (CST). Game 12 Loser vs. Game 10 winner
jkag89
Three team pools just flat out suck.

Four team pools are acceptable and would even encourage if they allow all 16 teams into the tournament next season however it would likely need to play the tournament at two venues to accommodate this.
dabo man
AG
Nice to see an Egg Bowl game in the early mix.

EDIT - This was meant to be a thumbs up.
Sean98
AG
jkag89 said:

Four team pools are acceptable and would even encourage if they allow all 16 teams into the tournament next season however it would likely need to play the tournament at two venues to accommodate this.
So would you just move to singe eliminations after the pool play?

Pool play: 3 games
Winner of Pool A & B play; Winner of Pool C & D play - 1 game per team
Winner of the A/B vs. Winner of the C/D = Champion? - 1 game

Total of 5 games max?
rgleml
AG
I thought Tennessee won the regular season championship and we ended up in third after being swept by Florida.
rgleml
AG
According to the article by Emma Neuman, we will open up as the third seed in the SEC tourney.
AgEng06
AG
rgleml said:

According to the article by Emma Neuman, we will open up as the third seed in the SEC tourney.
You're thinking of softball. This thread is for the baseball tourney.
Sean98
AG
Here's the slate of games for the final two weekends:

May 10-12:
  • LSU at Alabama
  • Mississippi State at Arkansas
  • Auburn at Missouri
  • Kentucky at Florida
  • Georgia at South Carolina
  • Texas A&M at Ole Miss
  • Tennessee at Vanderbilt

May 16-18:
  • Alabama at Auburn*
  • Arkansas at Texas A&M*
  • Florida at Georgia*
  • Vanderbilt at Kentucky*
  • Ole Miss at LSU*
  • Missouri at Mississippi State*
  • South Carolina at Tennessee*

What I'm watching for the last two weeks:

• If either LSU or Bama sweep that series, the loser is in DEEP trouble.
  • If Mizzou could somehow sweep Aubie could they have a path to squeak their way to Hoover?
  • Georgia @ USCe is a real contrast of styles, would love to watch this series
  • Ole Miss @ LSU is likely for a post-season berth
  • Vandy with a brutal finishing stretch - could they go from Host to OUT in 4 weeks?
  • Unless Florida schedules some new mid-weeks (and wins them) I think they're likely toast. At 24-23 they just don't have enough wiggle room to sustain any losses.
  • Can A&M get healthy? and is defense a blip or an ongoing issue?
Sean98
AG
rgleml said:

I thought Tennessee won the regular season championship and we ended up in third after being swept by Florida.
My bad, I should have put "Baseball" in the thread title. Thanks Staff!!

DONE - STAFF
Scooley01
AG
Sean98 said:

Having the flu run through your entire team certainly wasn't helpful this weekend
Were the boys sick this weekend?
AgEng06
AG
Sean98 said:

rgleml said:

My bad, I should have put "Baseball" in the thread title.

DONE - STAFF
Staff is on the ball today!
dabo man
AG
Someone wanted to make that mistake or didn't read your post or any that had followed it. "Hoover Met" is in your first sentence.

Every thread on this board is either:
A) About baseball
<OR>
B) Contains the word "Softball" in the title
jkag89
Sean98 said:

jkag89 said:

So would you just move to singe eliminations after the pool play?

Pool play: 3 games
Winner of Pool A & B play; Winner of Pool C & D play - 1 game per team
Winner of the A/B vs. Winner of the C/D = Champion? - 1 game

Total of 5 games max?
Yes
Wicked Good Ag
jkag89 said:

Do the last four teams in a 16 team conference, EVEN the SEC have to go to the tourney ??

Regular season should matter...and in our current format 5-12 are all the same ....one game and you can be eliminated

if in pool play 1 plays 3, then 2 plays 3 you may already know who comes out of the pool and the HIGHER seed can stack their pitching for the semis and finals...an advantage they get for winning the conference. Or of eliminated you know the top 4 teams in a conference are already in the NCAA tourney so you can still work on stuff

I would hate to see us slip to 5th overall and not be guarenteed two games in the SEC tourney because we are 4th right now record wise with an away series and a series against another of the top 4 teams then possibly only play one game at Hoover
WhoopN06
I know it would be frustrating to only get 1 game in Hoover, however I think the extra rest would really benefit our team. They seem tired from the grind and are also starting to get banged up.

There could a silver lining to a short Hoover trip..
jkag89

Quote:

Do the last four teams in a 16 team conference, EVEN the SEC have to go to the tourney ??

No but it has been reported that next year's tournament will be single elimination with all 16 teams. If all 16 teams make the field I would prefer what I proposed than single elimination.

I understand the argument for pool play being made but watching how the ACC Tournament I really hate the three team pools. While I did not like pool play when for a few seasons this is how Big XII Tournament was formatted the four team pools IMO far more preferable to three team pools.
A-A Ron
WhoopN06 said:

I know it would be frustrating to only get 1 game in Hoover, however I think the extra rest would really benefit our team. They seem tired from the grind and are also starting to get banged up.

This is exactly how Ole Miss won the NC a couple of years ago, difference being they were the last team in while we are hunting a top 8 national seed.
twk
AG
Quote:

We look like we might have 11 teams in the field this year (out of 12 in the tournament). OU and Texas are likely to make the field, too. But, it would be odd to have a team miss the conference tournament, yet be included in the NCAA tournament. With 16 teams, there is too large of a chance that one of the four teams left out might have a record that would otherwise get them considered for the NCAA tournament.
WhoopN06
Yes, in an ideal world we lock up a Top 8 before the tournament in the scenario above.
twk
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

No but it has been reported that next year's tournament will be single elimination with all 16 teams. If all 16 teams make the field I would prefer what I proposed than single elimination.

I understand the argument for pool play being made but watching how the ACC Tournament I really hate the three team pools. While I did not like pool play when for a few seasons this is how Big XII Tournament was formatted the four team pools IMO far more preferable to three team pools.
A sixteen team single elimination tournament will be a mess if they have even one day where they can't play four games in the first three days of the tournament. Maybe they will build in an off day or something, but it's really going to suck.

It's hard for me to imagine going to the conference tournament, with regionals coming the following week, but I would never go in a year where A&M could end up playing only one game. That's what I like about pool play.

They are going to be under increasing pressure to take a look at playing the tournament in Arlington, where weather would not be a factor. If they want to keep it in Birmingham, they are going to have to find a reason.

I think should consider going to four team pools, and playing at two sites (Hoover and Regions Park downtown, if they stay in Birmingham, or Globe Life and Frisco if they come to DFW). That way everyone would get 3 games, two would play four games, and two would play five (assuming you go single elimination with the four pool winners).
Sean98
AG
Scooley01 said:

Sean98 said:

Having the flu run through your entire team certainly wasn't helpful this weekend
Were the boys sick this weekend?
Bama's team. I thought it was the flu, but have since read "food poisoning."
12thMan9
AG
They ain't coming to Frisco or GLS.
Ronnie '88
Mikeyshooter
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Except we're guaranteed at least 2 games assuming we hang onto a top 4 seed. I hope our guys can handle it...

Luke The Drifter
AG
12thMan9 said:

They will when the 'sips tell them to do so.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

12thMan9 said:

They will when the 'sips tell them to do so.
Oh, we will be right there with them. They let the sips in and need to be prepared to reap the consequences.
12thMan9
AG
Current # of SEC schools East of Hoover: 7
Current # of SEC schools West of Hoover:7

Current # of 2025 SEC schools East of Arlington: 14
Current # of 2025 SEC schools West of Arlington: BARELY 2.

Ain't happening.
Ronnie '88
dabo man
AG
Move it to All-Sports Stadium, home of the Big 8 tournament and the first Big 12 one!! Wind blowing out at 40 mph and not a hint of that breeze at seat level, where it's terribly hot, and there's no shade. Damn the ball flew though.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.