Worst CWS ever...

17,558 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by histag10
Wyoming Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The new TD Ameritrade Stadium ruined the CWS. The park is large to begin with and the wind often blows in. You have to absolutely murder a ball into the gap if you want it to go to the wall and same with a HR. Hitters don't get rewarded when you hit the ball on the screws and that goes against what the game is supposed to be about. Pitchers can get away with making bad pitches and they don't pay for it. The only reason I even watch the CWS anymore is out of habit and my love for college baseball. The actual product being put out by the CWS is garbage though.

They'd fix alot of it if they moved the fences in 8-10 feet.
jkag89
I was also simply expressing my opinion. This year the lack of runs is due far more to the plethora of double plays killing rallies than to the spaciousness of the ballparkpark. Wouldn't mind the fences being pulled in to resemble the demensions of Olsen. I certainly believe 408 to dead center is too deep. What I don't want is an over reaction that makes the park into a band box.
TexasRebel
AG
Baseball sans home runs is quite fun to watch.
jkag89
quote:
But the CWS hasn't been sans of home runs or extra base hits this year. Ameritrade was an overreaction to the football type scores one saw at Rosenblatt. Homeruns are great, cheap ones are not.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Going Coastal!!!
TexasRebel
AG
Right. You'll never get rid of them all, but now it's a Tal's Hill kind of homerun.

The twin killings are just unfortunate of you're an offensive fan. I think they make a great game. Especially the unconventional ones. Offense threatening and the defense is nails!
jkag89
If this is the case, where were these complaints in 2011 before the bbcor bats and last year the first with the new ball?
MSFC Aggie
AG
Sounds like good pitching and small ball is a good recipe for the CWS
TexasRebel
AG
I've always hated home runs. Give me 3 singles any day.
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
quote:
Except they're better than us. We played at our place and they won. As usual we're not there so we'll never know.

Exactly. Enjoy the peace of knowing that our team got beaten fair and square.

We had every advantage and the better team won.

It's baseball. It happens.

It wasn't meant to be.

Well I guess baseball has happened to us two years in a row then, and basically every year except 2011. But ya, it's totally baseball and not coaching at all.
Question, when is baseball gonna happen to TCU? I'm still waiting...
TexasRebel
AG
Saturday.
phillyag92
AG
Still hate the Ags can't win a championship in one of the big 3.
phillyag92
AG
And where is coastal Carolina?
TexasRebel
AG
The Carolina coast.
phillyag92
AG
Zing!
jkag89
quote:
Because that is "exactly" what I'm advocating.

I've already stated that I wouldn't mind seeing the fences pulled in and also wouldn't mind if the NCAA would go to the equivalent of the MLB ball which is slightly more lively than the minor league ball which is the equivalent to which is used by the NCAA today. What I don't want to see is the return to the video game type numbers of the past. Anyways there appears to be a power surge of sorts this year so blaming the lack of scoring so far this CWS on the park is misplaced.
jkag89
quote:
And where is coastal Carolina?
Near Myrtle Beach.,
TexasRebel
AG
Right.

I think the fences are just right if not too close already.

The ball is just fine this year. Lots of movement on pitches.
jkag89
Well as long as you're happy.
phillyag92
AG
Damn. I'm guessing it's a nice campus?
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:

I'm certainly not advocating for a Rosenblatt circa mid 90's type ballpark, but I've seen many balls get straight up laced that would be homeruns in most college yards. To make it worse, many of these balls are being caught. That's not the way baseball is supposed to be. If you're a pitcher and you **** a ball down the middle and a guy hammers you, you need to pay for it.
phillyag92
AG
And I thought a MLB game was on when first started watching this game. That stadium is noiyce
TexasRebel
AG
That or you adapt to the park you're in...
Rocky Rider
AG
quote:

No stars for youuuu

TexasRebel
AG
What does a star get me?
Ag12thman
AG
Least I've watched a CWS in many years.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
You've missed nothing but a few mediocre pitching staffs get hot at the right time......one of the lowest scoring CWS in history.
Ag12thman
AG
Had a feeling.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
You've missed nothing but a few mediocre pitching staffs get hot at the right time......one of the lowest scoring CWS in history.

I'd argue these aren't mediocre pitching staffs...

...I won't dig up my post about Oklahoma State's starters, but they aren't mediocre. And there is similar support for the other staffs.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
And I thought a MLB game was on when first started watching this game. That stadium is noiyce

[Facepalm]

1st time tuning into the CWS? Though Coastal calls the Myrtle Beach area home, and have nice facilities,
CWS games (all of them) are played in Omaha at TD Ameritrade Park.

Also... "Mediocre" is a very poor choice of wording to describe pretty much any of the pitching staffs that made it to the CWS as far as I can tell.
zagman
AG
The real college world series was in Hoover!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Ginsang
AG
quote:
The real college world series was in Hoover!

We were all just so worn down from grinding it out against the very best programs pitch after pitch in the SEC tournament. Then all the other NCAA tournament teams were so inferior that they just couldn't hold the SEC teams attention. All the SEC programs were basically lulled to defeat!
zephyr88
AG
Enjoyed watching Coastal Carolina whip tceh last night... now squash those froggies!!
DGAG92
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I Least I've watched a CWS in many years.

I'd argue these aren't mediocre pitching staffs...

...I won't dig up my post about Oklahoma State's starters, but they aren't mediocre. And there is similar support for the other staffs.
But but but they can't be......they're BDF pitchers and we're SEC SEC SEC!!

**I'm kidding of course.

The point I was trying to make was, they've been somewhat good all year, but have really turned it on at the end of the year.....when we "apparently" ran out of gas.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
That or you adapt to the park you're in...

Obviously you have to adjust, but it shouldn't have to be like this. Pitchers are good at this level, and they should pay when they make a mistake. That's what the game is all about. I understand pitchers can get bailed out in big parks, but TD Ameritrade is a different animal. When you have grown men who can't leave the yard from the LF gap to the RF gap, that's a problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.