Predict Eric Sorenson's Ranking + Review

18,110 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sean98
bek.90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What the heck does it mean that the rpi isn't "accurate"? Does that mean it isn't the best predictor of postseason success? Or isn't the best measure of a team's performance to date?

It means the RPI doesn't agree with his bullsh*t narrative he's trying to create.
BQ_90
AG
This guy is too biased even for the LHN
ProphAC
AG
Is he a horn or LSU fan? I've seen evidence of both. Does anyone know?
LOYAL AG
AG
Media for teams outside of the southeast have long argued that the RPI isn't a good rating system for baseball because it favors teams in the southeast. They argue that because the southeastern teams are closer geographically that it's possible for them to play better competition on Tuesdays versus say, Texas Tceh which has nobody close enough to play a non-conference Tuesday game against a good team. Conversely Florida and Florida State played their 3-game series on Tuesday nights. It's an interesting argument for a team like Oregon or Oregon State but for the most part I see it as a cop out. The RPI is intended to measure a teams worth by analyzing who they've beaten, that's it. It's impossible to argue the fact that the Big 12's top 3 teams have a combined 17 losses against bad teams because no matter how you spin it teams outside of the RPI top 100 are bad.

His beloved Big 12 doesn't deserve two regionals, it deserves one regional that will be over-inflated to become a national seed. Then TCU and OSU will travel as 2 seeds. That's what happens when a 9 team conference has six teams outside of the top 100.
mdanyc03
AG
I understand that I just hate when people use words poorly and to say RPI is not "accurate" is using words very poorly.

To make an analogy, I could say that 40 time at the NFL combine is not a good metric for predicting success (reasonable argument) but I couldn't say that 40 time isn't "accurate" unless I am arguing that the equipment they use for measuring 40 times is not up to the job.

So if he means that RPI is not a good metric for comparing college baseball teams he can say that if he wants (although I don't know what would be better). But it makes him sound dumb to say it isn't "accurate."
LOYAL AG
AG
Agreed. It's fun to be on this side of the argument for things like this. I remember the days of looking at the SEC depth in baseball and thinking that using the RPI wasn't a "fair" way to do things.
Sean98
AG
It doesn't make him sound dumb, he IS dumb.

Also, I could argue that RPI is now unfavorable to teams in the south because it weights road games too heavily. A Northern team can play it's first 15 games away from home and get an advantage that lasts through 3/4 of the season.
mdanyc03
AG
Agreed
Mr.Ackar07
This guy must be a Sorenson follower:

quote:
Comment From Boy_Scouts_of_Amer

It was interesting to see how Texas A&M maintained their position in the rankings at number two in the land, while "struggling" at Arkansas.

Kendall Rogers:

They went 3-1 for the week. If we are in the business of dropping teams who went 3-1 for the week, everyone would drop most weeks. For the record, the Aggies were dominant in the series finale after scoring 11 in Game Two.

http://www.d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseballs-weekly-chat-may-2/
Schrute
quote:

quote:

It was interesting to see how Texas A&M maintained their position in the rankings at number two in the land, while "struggling" at Arkansas.

Kendall Rogers:

They went 3-1 for the week. If we are in the business of dropping teams who went 3-1 for the week, everyone would drop most weeks. For the record, the Aggies were dominant in the series finale after scoring 11 in Game Two.

Sounds like Boy_Scouts_of_Amer needs to go back to building forts in the woods.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:

quote:

Kendall Rogers:

And, weren't most of the struggles in Game 1 caused by the home plate ump?
AB2
AG
5/9 Update
TEXAS A&M
Stock Down

It was a tough weekend for the boys in maroon. While the simple, untrained eye can see they took two from Vanderbilt, it's important to look at the bigger picture. A&M's vaunted offense scored just 5 runs all weekend and absolutely needed an unearned Game 1 run and a Game 3 no-hitter to squeak out the victory. This isn't a team you should count on to win Top 10 games without a shutout to help them.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
5/9 Update
TEXAS A&M
Stock Down

It was a tough weekend for the boys in maroon. While the simple, untrained eye can see they took two from Vanderbilt, it's important to look at the bigger picture. A&M's vaunted offense scored just 5 runs all weekend and absolutely needed an unearned Game 1 run and a Game 3 no-hitter to squeak out the victory. This isn't a team you should count on to win Top 10 games without a shutout to help them.
In addition the Aggies bullpen has struggled on the final game of the past two series, the Aggie bullpen has not recorded a single out in the third game of the past two series.
Rock1982
AG
great thread!!
Corporal Punishment
AG
This thread is gold.
AggieBand2004
AG
BQ_90
Ag 11
BryanAggie2013
APHIS AG
Sorenson is just one of those idiots that got caught with egg on his face predicting our demise in the SEC. He will always hate A&M. If we win, it is because the other team did not perform. If we lose, he will state that "that is the Aggie team everyone is familiar with".
ProphAC
AG
Why does it feel like this guy's power rankings have become something he only does once a month since we proved his early predictions wrong? Who does a power ranking once a month anyways? Either do it or don't.
Rocco S
He does them every two weeks, but seems to have missed yesterday's two week cycle
HoustonAg2106
AG
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15501422/big-12-pac-12-team-breaking-top-10

He has us in the top 5 now (posted yesterday).
jkag89
tech jumps six spots with a road sweep of 195 RPI Kansas

TCU jumps five spots with a road sweep of 115 RPI Penn St.

MSU jumps two spots but gets jumped over with a sweep of 99 RPI Mizzou

Must to be the home/road dynamic, right?
spanky
AG
quote:
tech jumps six spots with a road sweep of 195 RPI Kansas

TCU jumps five spots with a road sweep of 115 RPI Penn St.

MSU jumps two spots but gets jumped over with a sweep of 84 RPI Arkansas

Must to be the home/road dynamic, right?
Just think, we moved less spots (4) for beating 12 RPI Vandy
spanky
AG
Miss St hasn't played Arkansas yet btw
Sean98
AG
He dropped Oregon State from 7 to 22 for losing, on the road, to another team he has in his top 10 in Arizona...

He's a total crackhead. And yet ESPN pays him for his drivel. This reminds me why I haven't turned on ESPN in 5 months.
Sean98
AG
Correct. They swept Mizzou. LSU swept Arkie.
jkag89
quote:
Miss St hasn't played Arkansas yet btw
Oops, fixed. The point still stands whether it is Arky or Mizzou.
Rocco S
TCU and TT in the top 7 is a ****ing joke no matter how you slice it
Rocco S
Vandy drops 5 spots for losing 2/3 at his #5.

This guy is the Chip Brown of college baseball
Corporal Punishment
AG
Anyone want to guess who Sorensen picked to win the A&M/SC series?
AB2
AG
AgEng06
AG
Well done
ProphAC
Corporal Punishment
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.