My Observations

5,567 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mgreen
LSU Baseball Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Teams that Got Screwed

Texas A&M (out of a national seed)
College of Charleston (out of a regional host)
North Florida, Kentucky, Michigan State, Missouri- out of field of 64

North Florida has a great record and ran away with their conference.
Kentucky won two series against top 4 national seeds on the road.
Michigan State swept Oregon in Eugene, somehow Oregon gets in over them.
Missouri- first team ever to have 16 wins over SEC teams and not make the field of 64

WTF decisions

Oregon getting in- they have no business in the field, but Nike money from Uncle Phil talks, I guess.
UC Santa Barbara hosting a regional 3 hours from campus. They should not be hosting at all after losing a series to 250 RPI UC Riverside this weekend.
TCU getting a national seed over Texas A&M.
Texas being a 3 seed with a terrible RPI as an auto bid. Literally the definition of a 4 seed.

It seems like everyone benefitted from beating SEC teams...except other SEC teams. WTF? The committee rewarded conference champions and brutally punished everyone else like February through early May didn't matter at all. Never seen anything like it in all the years I've been following college baseball.

On the positive for LSU, we got a joke of a regional and arguably the easiest super regional pairing. If we don't get to Omaha this year, Paul Mainieri's job will be in jeopardy. Tulane is probably the next-best team in the Baton Rouge regional, and we've beaten them twice by six runs already. Surprised UL didn't come to our regional for the ten millionth time, but I guess the committee thought that was played out already.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Speak son, the truth
W
AG
can't argue with any of that.

that's why I think we're going to see a lot of chalk in this 2015 postseason. Most 1-seeds advancing this weekend. Like 13 or 14 of the sixteen
AggieGreg06
AG
I agree that tu earned a 4-seed but it would be unfair to any 1-seed to give them a Friday night game against the sips and Parker French, who is sporting a 2.33 ERA this season. Out of respect to DBU, I'm glad they're a 3 and not a 4.
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
I agree that tu earned a 4-seed but it would be unfair to any 1-seed to give them a Friday night game against the sips and Parker French, who is sporting a 2.33 ERA this season. Out of respect to DBU, I'm glad they're a 3 and not a 4.
Parker French is a little ***** and needs to be popped in his mouth. I hope that happens real bad.

I'd pay money to see it happen.
agforlife97
AG
I don't think A&M's draw is all that bad. Even if A&M got a national seed, we likely would have been matched with either the TCU or Dallas Baptist (or Houston) regionals. It sucks to have to play them on the road, but I like A&M's chances against TCU. A&M's subregional also looks pretty weak.

I agree with OP that the committee gifted LSU a trip to Omaha with their draw.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
North Carolina got screwed.
ragincagin
quote:
Teams that Got Screwed

Texas A&M (out of a national seed)
College of Charleston (out of a regional host)
North Florida, Kentucky, Michigan State, Missouri- out of field of 64

North Florida has a great record and ran away with their conference.
Kentucky won two series against top 4 national seeds on the road.
Michigan State swept Oregon in Eugene, somehow Oregon gets in over them.
Missouri- first team ever to have 16 wins over SEC teams and not make the field of 64

WTF decisions

Oregon getting in- they have no business in the field, but Nike money from Uncle Phil talks, I guess.
UC Santa Barbara hosting a regional 3 hours from campus. They should not be hosting at all after losing a series to 250 RPI UC Riverside this weekend.
TCU getting a national seed over Texas A&M.
Texas being a 3 seed with a terrible RPI as an auto bid. Literally the definition of a 4 seed.

It seems like everyone benefitted from beating SEC teams...except other SEC teams. WTF? The committee rewarded conference champions and brutally punished everyone else like February through early May didn't matter at all. Never seen anything like it in all the years I've been following college baseball.

On the positive for LSU, we got a joke of a regional and arguably the easiest super regional pairing. If we don't get to Omaha this year, Paul Mainieri's job will be in jeopardy. Tulane is probably the next-best team in the Baton Rouge regional, and we've beaten them twice by six runs already. Surprised UL didn't come to our regional for the ten millionth time, but I guess the committee thought that was played out already.
So you think the winner of the big 12 didn't deserve to host over the 3rd place sec team that went something like 10-8 over the last 1.5 months of the season?
dermdoc
AG
Fine then take Vandy. And the Big 12 was the sixth best conference rpi. So being champion of that conference means little to me especially when you go two and que to tech and Baylor in the tourney. And why give Okie Lite the gift of Mizzou State(who can't host a super) over Vandy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fireinthehole
The bdf conf was very weak this year. TCU went 0-2 in their tourney.
dermdoc
AG
And if that logic holds true, then why didn't U of H get a national seed? They won their conference which had a better rpi than the Big 12.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ragincagin
quote:
Fine then take Vandy. And the Big 12 was the sixth best conference rpi. So being champion of that conference means little to me especially when you go two and que to tech and Baylor in the tourney. And why give Okie Lite the gift of Mizzou State(who can't host a super) over Vandy?
I'm not saying A&M didn't deserve a national seed but you just aren't going to get it ahead of the winner of the big 12 and can't expect to. If you argue against one of the other national seeds then there may be an argument.
dermdoc
AG
So you are saying every year that the winner of the Big 12 should automatically get a national seed? No matter how bad the conference is? Funny, that didn't work for us in 2011 when we won both the conference and the tourney.

Weird.
ragincagin
quote:
So you are saying every year that the winner of the Big 12 should automatically get a national seed? No matter how bad the conference is? Funny, that didn't work for us in 2011 when we won both the conference and the tourney.

Weird.
I'm saying they deserved it over a 3rd place sec team that finished 10-8. Boyds world has the Big 12 ranked 4th in baseball. Not real sure how that's a bad conference. They aren't sec level but to say they are bad is a stretch.
dermdoc
AG
So where was that logic in 2011? And we had a top ten rip then also.
Bonfire96
AG
How about we not **** the bed for the last month of the season, then maybe we would be justified in getting a national seed.
ragincagin
quote:
So where was that logic in 2011? And we had a top ten rip then also.
No clue, in 2011 St. Johns in the 13th ranked conference and a RPI of 54 also got in over LSU with a 26 ranked RPI in the # 1 conference. Made no sense.
JDay
doc,

Don't feed the troll. He hates A&M and has proven that for years. Shows up every time he thinks he can rub it in, then hides until his next opportunity. Can't win an argument with him because he will keep changing the perimeters of the conversation to fit his trolling.
dermdoc
AG
Got it. Shame he screwed up LSU baseball fan's post. One of his own. Supposedly.

BTHO the regionals!
ragincagin
quote:
doc,

Don't feed the troll. He hates A&M and has proven that for years. Shows up every time he thinks he can rub it in, then hides until his next opportunity. Can't win an argument with him because he will keep changing the perimeters of the conversation to fit his trolling.
How the hell am I trolling? I didn't put down a&m or say they weren't a good team. Take off the maroon glasses and stop blaming the officials and the committee every time A&M doesn't have something go their way in a sport. It's really simple, do better than 10-8 down the stretch and the ag's host. Every time y'all lose it's someone else's fault.
dermdoc
AG
I personally don't think we would hosted if we had won a few more
Games. I think the committee was not going to take three SEC teams. Period. Look at the makeup of the committee. This was all about "fairness" and when you try to make things "fair" you obviously make things inherently unfair.
Sea Gull
AG
Cagin, please explain why TCU deserved the national seed over A&M. Especially since they went 0-2 in the BDF tourney. A&M has a higher RPI and SOS. Not to mention that A&M went 14-7 against top 50 RPI teams while TCU went 7-5. How the hell does a team from a "power" conference only play 12 games against top 50 RPI teams?

Why does it matter if they won their conference? RPI exists for this reason...to try to find a way to compare these teams from different conferences. Where they finish is completely irrelevant.
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:
It's really simple, do better than 10-8 down the stretch and the ag's host.

Texas A&M's last 18 games "down the stretch" and corresponding opponent's RPI...

35 Arkansas - L
35 Arkansas - L
145 UT-Arlington - W
5 LSU - L
5 LSU - L
5 LSU - W
161 Texas State - W
74 Tennessee - W
74 Tennessee - W
74 Tennessee -W
64 South Carolina - L
64 South Carolina - W
64 South Carolina - L
31 Mississippi - W
31 Mississippi - L
45 Alabama - W
10 Vanderbilt - W
10 Vanderbilt - L

10 wins, 8 losses...average opponent RPI = 51.8

Same comparison for TCU...

169 Santa Clara - W
169 Santa Clara - W
232 Incarnate Word - W
86 Texas - W
86 Texas - W
86 Texas - W
2 Dallas Baptist - L
104 West Virginia - W
104 West Virginia - W
104 West Virginia - W
131 Kansas - W
131 Kansas - W
216 Abilene Christian - W
84 Oklahoma - W
84 Oklahoma - W
84 Oklahoma - W
122 Baylor - L
77 Texas Tech - L

15 wins, 3 losses...average opponent RPI = 115.1...TCU played exactly one (1) decent team during their final 18 games (Dallas Baptist) and lost and they also managed to add a 100+ loss to their resume as well. Color me unimpressed.

Same comparison for Missouri State...

134 Illinois State - W
134 Illinois State - L
134 Illinois State - W
56 Missouri - W
117 Wichita State - W
117 Wichita State - W
117 Wichita State - W
98 St. Louis - W
238 Southern Illinois - W
19 Bradley - W
19 Bradley - W
19 Bradley - W
117 Wichita State - W
117 Wichita State - W
19 Bradley - W

17 wins, 1 loss...average opponent RPI = 120.5...Mo. State did go 4-0 vs. #19 Bradley, but had no other top 50 wins "down the stretch"...they also added a RPI 100+ loss to their resume and did rack up 4 wins vs. a 200+ RPI team...but despite all of that, I still give a slight nod to Mo. State over TCU in the national seed race only because they did manage to win their conference tourney instead of laying a turd against a couple of turd teams like TCU did.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
ragincagin
quote:
Cagin, please explain why TCU deserved the national seed over A&M. Especially since they went 0-2 in the BDF tourney. A&M has a higher RPI and SOS. Not to mention that A&M went 14-7 against top 50 RPI teams while TCU went 7-5. How the hell does a team from a "power" conference only play 12 games against top 50 RPI teams?

Why does it matter if they won their conference? RPI exists for this reason...to try to find a way to compare these teams from different conferences. Where they finish is completely irrelevant.
The conference tourney doesn't do much for a team unless they are trying to play their way into the post season(ex. ULL & UT). LSU could have went 0-2 and still been the # 2 seed. My point is the committee seems to look at winning the regular season by 3 games in the # 4 ranked conference is stronger than placing 3rd in the # 1 ranked conference. Pretty sure the chairman of the selection committee said they didn't put as much weight on RPI during the selection as they do some years. They said the same thing in 2011. If they went strictly off of rpi then 2 teams from the 7th ranked conference in DBU and Missouri st would have been in the top 8 host sites.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
So you think the winner of the big 12 didn't deserve to host over the 3rd place sec team that went something like 10-8 over the last 1.5 months of the season?

Nice cherry picking. And 16 of those last 18 games were against teams that finished in the top 75 in the RPI. I guess you are impressed by TCU conference trophy even though they only played 1 Big 12 opponent that was in the final top 75 in RPI. Oh, and they lost that series, AT HOME!! Here is a cherry picking stat for you - TCU was 26-7 in their last 33 games. Impressive, huh? During that stretch they played a total of 2 games against a top 75 opponent!! So they went 1-1 against top 75 opponents and 25-6 against opponents below #75! A&M was 23-1 against teams ranked below #75.

Schedules should matter and TCU played only 1 decent team since March 22nd. They lost 7 times since March 22nd.
JeffHamilton82
The Big 12 is 5th in conference RPI, not 4th. And they are 1/10.000 of a point ahead of 6th. To compare the Big 12 to the SEC their RPI is .5376 which would put their median team at 70th. The SEC has an RPI of .5603 which would put our median team at 37th. There is a helluva lot of difference between 37th and 70th. It's not like these conferences are sperated by a couple of spots.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
doc,

How the hell am I trolling? I didn't put down a&m or say they weren't a good team. Take off the maroon glasses and stop blaming the officials and the committee every time A&M doesn't have something go their way in a sport. It's really simple, do better than 10-8 down the stretch and the ag's host. Every time y'all lose it's someone else's fault.

You're looking to pick a selective reason why we shouldn't have got a seed. TCU's resume loses to ours no matter how you slice it. Winning a weak conference is the only thing they have. We'd have ran away with that crap conference. Our RPI, SOS, and record all beat them. You're ignoring a whole bunch of data to focus on the one point that agrees with your bias.
Science Denier
AG
quote:
I personally don't think we would hosted if we had won a few more
Games. I think the committee was not going to take three SEC teams. Period. Look at the makeup of the committee. This was all about "fairness" and when you try to make things "fair" you obviously make things inherently unfair.
3 more wins, and we win the SEC. We would have gotten a national seed.

Loss to Missouri 3-2, gave up two unearned runs
Loss to South Carolina 9-7, gave up 4 unearned runs
Loss to Mississippi State 3-2, gave up an unearned run
The Arkansas CF where we lost a 5 run lead, gave up 1 unearned run, but had 3 errors

I do agree with your main point, though. A&M should have gotten a national seed. However, after all of that... losing two great pitchers, all the errors we made this year, getting snubbed by the committee. We still will go to Omaha if we don't boot the ball around the infield. Nobody in front of us now can beat us. Only we can beat us.
ragincagin
quote:
The Big 12 is 5th in conference RPI, not 4th. And they are 1/10.000 of a point ahead of 6th. To compare the Big 12 to the SEC their RPI is .5376 which would put their median team at 70th. The SEC has an RPI of .5603 which would put our median team at 37th. There is a helluva lot of difference between 37th and 70th. It's not like these conferences are sperated by a couple of spots.

According to Boyd's world they are 4th. Either way I don't really care. All i was trying to do was explain what the the selection commissioner said in that rpi was not weighed as heavily as normal so to keep trying to measure everything using rpi in pointless. Yes A&M had a higher rpi but if that isn't the main factor that is why they didn't host. Only way to make things even across the board is to use something like the bcs system had and remove most of the human element.

Division I OverallRank Rating W L W L SoS Conference

1 112.3 476 318 476 318 2 SEC
2 111.3 351 256 351 256 1 Pac 12
3 110.6 461 321 461 321 4 ACC
4 109.5 275 226 275 226 3 Big 12
5 108.7 267 199 267 199 6 American Athletic
6 107.3 261 235 261 235 5 Big West
7 107.2 237 198 237 198 7 MVC
8 107.0 389 321 389 321 8 Big Ten
9 105.7 352 306 352 306 10 C-USA
10 104.7 204 195 204 195 9 Mountain West
Science Denier
AG
TCU beat Arizona State 2 out of three on the road
TCU beat UCLA there
TCU beat Vandy
TCU beat Rice
TCU has a top 8 RPI.

Illinois and Missouri State don't belong. TCU does.
dermdoc
AG
And if we had won those three games, then Vandy and Florida would have gotten screwed. My point is the committee apparently decided there would only be two teams from any one conference which is ludicrous if you are trying to pick the 8 best teams. And why does the Big 12 get the added benefit of Osu being paired with Mizzou State who can't host a Super? So you basically are giving the Big 12 two seeds after a crap year.

Mizzou State should have been paired with Vandy or us. Vandy is paired with Illinois. Is that geographically worse than Mizzou?

Political correctness sucks, especially in sports.
Science Denier
AG
Lol. big 10 is 8th on that list.
JeffHamilton82
More cherry picking. Boyd isn't anymore of an authority on college baseball, than Massey, sagarin, nolan and a host of others who run their own ranking systems. Even using boyd, the gap between his average SEC team (42nd) and Big 12 team (64th) is 22 spots. The Big 12 had only 2 teams in Boyd's top 50. The SEC has 7 teams in his top 50. And in TCU's last 33 games they played only 1 team in his top 50 (DBU). They lost 7 times in those last 33 games. So holding 10-8 and our 3rd place finish in the best conference against us is fkn' retarded on your part.

The National Communist Collegiate Association did more gerrymandering to screw A&M than North Carolina's 12th district.

BeowulfShaeffer
AG
quote:
Lol. big 10 is 8th on that list.
Certainly screams "5 bid league", right?
dermdoc
AG
And Ragin, it wasn't just A&M who got screwed, the whole SEC did. But carry on.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.