Mike Taylor. University of Houston

13,578 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 6-4-3
Sandman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I thought MJ usually had seniors as his team captains.

Not always, but mostly.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Under MJ the players voted on the captains and MJ probably helped the process.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
NO... just a former Aggie baseball captain. How about you, Duck Patrol... do you know anything about college baseball???

Do you even Texags bro? Lighten up, Francis.

On a more serious note, not sure why you're coming after me for nothing more than a jest.
Captain Pablo
AG
He didn't "come after you"

you made a smart-ass remark at him, and he told you who he was
Sea Gull
AG
Wow, didn't know a "smart ass" comment could get a mighty captain of a baseball team's panties in a wad.
W
AG
fun note...the rumored frontrunner for the job, Will Bolt, was the team captain of the Huskers' 2002 CWS team
2nd Generation Ag
I believe Mike Taylor would be a great addition. What no one is talking about are his connections. His brother who works for the Texas Rangers has access to all of the great players in the central US including Texas. That is what helped build Rice to the power they became. Mike's brother helped push players to Rice. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Rice had been the same program after he left.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Taylor has not been gone that long from Rice, things have not changed that much in two years.
Chandlauch
Chandlauch
Negative... The University of Houston swept all three games from Rice this past season... the first time they have beaten Rice in their season series since 2000. Rice"s loss (Taylor) was UH's gain. I sure hope we get a coach with more success and experience than a young buddy.
ColoradoMooseHerd
i did not realize that Coach Taylor was also the pitching coach
W
AG
Rice's last CWS appearance was 2008. So the Owls have missed Omaha 6 seasons-in-a-row.

if Taylor could bring an Anthony Rendon-equivalent (2009-11) to campus with him that would be great.

perhaps a subject for another thread, but Rice is not Rice anymore. Their program has suffered a dip in talent basically across the board going on 5+ years. The Owls don't seem to find the 'hidden gems' as much. Or the scouts zero in on their high school recruits moreso now than 10 years ago
TXAggie2011
AG
Yes, Rice isn't the same Rice they were when Taylor was still around that place.

Chuck, its not difficult.

Rice had a lot of good teams while Taylor was there, but you know just as well as the rest of us that a team's success does not define the quality of a single assistant.

If he has the personal skins hanging on the wall, then let's hear them.
Chandlauch
1st thing is I'm NOT Chuck Knoblauch... the earlier poster was right, Chuck, the most successful baseball player in A&M's history, was never a captain. Quit trying to figure out who I am and pay attention to someone who obviously knows whathe's talking about. You are wrong... head college baseball coaches get to much credit and blame for the team's performance. Wayne Graham (and Augie Garrido) don't ever see the high school & junior college players that are recruited (unless they come to their camps). Rob Childress is at his camps, Wayne Graham is usually in Hawaii. If any of you want to blame a lack of comparative talent to other schools, blame the two assistants, especially the one in charge of recruiting. Blame the head coach for his selection of those assistants. It is comical to me to read all of these opinions of good Aggies that don't know how college baseball works. The assistants are HUGE. Rice has had more Major League players come through there, when Mike Taylor was coaching, than any other team in this state and Wayne Graham never laid eyesvon them before they got there. Rob Childress was in the Netherlands and now, Cuba, with the USA team and there have been at least 5 scholarship '15 guys committed during that time he's been away. At alot of schools one of the two paid assistants recruits all year long, missing msnygames and practices. It's notmyjob to bring you guys up to speed, but I think you all are well intentioned. That's why it is important to pick an experienced and successful assistant in a baseball program. I hope you guys take this the right way!!!
steve73
AG
Mike Taylor is a proven WINNER, knows the high school baseball network, knows how to recruit and what it takes to get the most out of young baseball players.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Well Damn, thanks for the education on who does the recruiting. FYI - the number by my handle is my baseball jersey number. But again thank you for so kindly letting us know who recruits and who doesn't.

What really amazes me is that Taylor was able to recruit these players for UofH before he even got there. Because as you know, the Major Houston's best players were not first year players last year, But you knew that. And you also know that the Houston was known for their pitching staff. And that had nothing to do with Frank Anderson being their pitching coach, you know the former OSU Head Coach and former UTexas pitching Coach and former Texas Tech coach. He did nothing to help have 9 Cougar pitchers get all-conference or the recruitment of any of these players.

And definitely Trip Couch did nothing to recruit these upperclassmen and other players that have been performing well for UofH. Even though he is the recruiting Coordinator, he was not responsible for evaluating the talent and getting them on campus. This was done by a guy that was not on Campus.

So yes I agree that their relatively young head coach did nothing to help recruiting just like Graham and Garrido, two relics that are too old to recruit. Even though he is young, he likes to act like he is too good and leaves it all to his assistants.

So I really do appreciate the lesson in how the first year coach improved the recruiting of the pitching staff before he was even there. Thanks.
Sandman98
TXAggie2011
AG
Chuck, I figured you weren't actually Chuck. But I'm gonna call you Chuck anyways. Don't care if you're okay with that or not.

p.s. I don't trust people who say "trust me." I certainly don't trust people who say "I obviously know what Im talking about." Folks who know things don't have to use those lines.
Spyderman
AG
Any scuttle out there on who our new assistant might be?
Chandlauch
ColoradoMooseHead, you have 25,286 posts on TexAga since 2002... You must be an expert to have that much to say. First. Taylor is a Volunteer coach and he can't recruit at UH... that's NCAA rules, nobody said he did.. so, that's your 'Hot Air'. I stated earlier that UH has two good paid coaches. that's why Taylor is available... again 'Hot Air'. You said Rice's program hasn't changed that much since he left two years ago... UH never won a Rice series (Silver Glove) while Taylor was coaching at Rice, again your 'Hot Air'... YOU were wrong again in one of your earlier statements, Graham did want to come to A&M - but wasn't offered (or interviewed), again 'Hot Air'... nobody said Taylor was the pitching coach, (9 All-Conference UH pitchers???), again 'Hot Air'... but the statement you made 'about Mark Johnson probably helping the process' when talking about his players electing his captains... is that a slap at Mark's ethics???, sure sounds like it is to me. I think Mike Taylor is a perfect fit for our A&M baseball program, because of his past success and what he does on the field (3B coach / infield and hitting coach), his recruiting record and his loyalty.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Thanks for checking up on me. So I don't need to tell you, that one of the easiest ways to follow A&M baseball and other sports when living in Colorado is through the internet. Hopefully it is alright with you to talk with other Ags during games, because as you already know most of my neighbors don't like to talk about Aggie Sports. So over 12 year span, that is approximately 720 baseball games, 360 basketball games and 144 football games. Also throw in a few soccer games and couple women's basketball.

If you want to search those old threads there are some good ones in there. A great one to follow is the Rice & A&M game from the regional. If you want to read up on me, that is a thread that I enjoyed. Also there is a Baylor thread from a long time ago that had an amazing comeback. Game was in Waco. That should be a good read for you too.

And you think I am taking a shot at MJ? Wow, you need to read more of my posts and see my true feelings. I am sure you will so after you read what I have to say about him, then we can talk. (By the way, I have always been a fan of MJ and he even took me with him to represent A&M at the College World Series in 1995 after we were eliminated in Coral Gables)

And maybe Graham wanted to be here in the 90's and early 00's, but when the position came available after MJ was let go, Graham was only using the thought of coming to A&M to get a sweeter deal from Rice. Same for Tanner and Horton. We had no chance at these guys, no matter what you wish.

And I think Taylor would be a good hire. Hopefully he would be very motivated to show that he can make a great impact on a program like ours. If he is hired, I wish him nothing but the best. But if he is not hired, I am going to support that person just the same.

Chandlauch
Chandlauch
Like I said before, I think most Aggies on here are well intentioned. This above post was alot better than your combatative ones. I think people form an opinion, hold their thinking for years, and then try to defend it - even though it's not based on facts. We all want what's best for Texas A&M.
ColoradoMooseHerd
LMAO
GEA89
AG
Both sides of this girl fight need to let it go as both are equally posting in stupid fashion. Let it go and move on, nobody likes someone who believes they are a "Know It All."
AggieBB
AG
LMAO! No way this guy is a former baseball captain at A&M. The more I read his posts, the more comical that claim becomes.
Chandlauch
Chandlauch
GERALD W. "Butch" GHUTZMAN

[This message has been edited by chandlauch (edited 7/24/2014 11:04a).]
Sea Gull
AG
Butch, you need to relax. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Most of us never played in college but have been following college baseball, A&M in particular, for many, many years. To claim that we don't know wtf we are talking about is a little insulting. Everything that you just claimed as fact is actually pretty common knowledge on this board, in terms of how recruiting works.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Boy howdy, you can tell it is off-season. I agree with a poster above. We all want the best for A&M baseball, and that goes for the posters on this topic. I guess that for now we wait to see the coach that "the powers that be" hire for us. In the meantime, I am going fly-fishing.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Sandman98
AG
I take it Chandlauch gave us the edge getting the Josh Beckett commitment.

[This message has been edited by Sandman98 (edited 7/24/2014 5:00p).]
steve73
AG
Butch, not only do I agree with your comments that most Aggies on this board only want the best for Texas A&M, but you have always been there to support not only the baseball program, but the entire athletic department!

You don't just talk a good game, but you back it up with your support and commitment to Texas A&M! Gig 'em!!!
TXAggie2011
AG
He talks a good game?

We can all find an assistant at some school that's won a lot, and point to go schools overall record, and completely avoid talking about coaches individual achievements and merits.

It's not hard--for starters, what's have his lineups done?

It's a simple question, and shouldn't be hard to answer.

So why won't the guy answer it?
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Butch, you need to relax. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Most of us never played in college but have been following college baseball, A&M in particular, for many, many years. To claim that we don't know wtf we are talking about is a little insulting. Everything that you just claimed as fact is actually pretty common knowledge on this board, in terms of how recruiting works.

But some of us did, and for more than one season 43 years ago. I'm sure the landscape has changed quite a bit since the 1971 season.
steve73
AG
2011, the difference is you talk a lot, but you have no substance. Check back with me in 40 years and show me your support and commitment to Texas A&M athletics. Butch can back up his talk with actions and results.

All you've got is an opinion. How many years have you played collegiate baseball, coached high school or collegiate baseball players? As I said, all you have is an opinion, without it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.