Mike Taylor. University of Houston

13,487 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 6-4-3
Chandlauch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He was immediately installed as the 3B coach and hitting coach when he was named the volunteer. Augie Garrido tried to hire him a few years ago. He has helped his teams (Rice) reach the College World Series more than any assistant in the state of Texas. He is a native Texan that played AA baseball and has coached all of his years in the state of Texas. His older brother is a cross-checker for the Texas Rangers. He is very loyal and is a baseball lifer. He would be a great addition to Coach Childress' staff. (He has a wife and four daughters).
Amarillo Slim
AG
I support the op suggestion!
Outlaw0206
AG
He has stated that A&M is his dream job. And apparently RC and him do keep in contact. Can only hope we bring him on board!
ColoradoMooseHerd
Wanted to read the article that quoted him saying A&M is his dream job, can you post link?
Chandlauch
Why would any assistant coach be quoted in a paper of blog about a particular university being their 'dream job'??? That's a stupid request. I do know that Coach Taylor's wife went to high school with Black Death and she has gone to many A&M football games in her young life... her husband is a veteran, accomplished baseball coach that has several College World Series trips (and a CWS National Championship) on his resume!!! Coach Childress respects Mike Taylor, and our baseball program needs his experience.
McCoveysCove
sounds like a solid addition. everyone has done their homework, and all background checks are positive..hire him
Tamu_mgm
AG
Cool, so when do we fire Childress and get this guy?
Kemo Sabe
Hire his ass now!
Basketball and Chain
AG
Why'd he leave Rice?
Lance Uppercut
AG
This is the last time we talked about this amidst a Sawyers departure rumor.

There was no evidence he was coaching circles around Sawyers then, and comparing the UH offense to A&M's this year, we had 10 points on them in average and 17 in OPS.
W
AG
I believe Mike Taylor played on the same high school team as former aggie great Terry Taylor.

He has 4 kids so it might be tough to uproot the family from Houston. On the flipside a significant bump in salary could be very attractive
Chandlauch
Do you want the best for Texas A&M baseball or do you want to just second guess and ***** during the season??? Taylor has more trips to the College World Series than A&M in it's history!!! STOP IT. Go argue with your wife or girlfriend. Texas fires Gustafson and they hire success, Garrido

[This message has been edited by chandlauch (edited 7/18/2014 9:55a).]
ColoradoMooseHerd
I call the talk about A&M being his "Dream Job" BS. These types of rumors pop up here all the time about coaches wanting to come here (Graham and Horton) but didn't really want to come here. They were just internet garbage.

Same can be said for recruiting in baseball, football or other sports. So and So kid always dreamed to play here and we failed to get him and now he is somewhere else doing good. Most of those comments on here are garbage too. But everyone here takes nameless internet quotes as fact.
jkag89
quote:
Texas fires Gustafson and they hire success, Garrido

It was not an immediate success. A number of bumps and much grumbling in Austin along the way before the sips had a nice stretch under Augie.
TXAggie2011
AG
Same questions as a year ago...

Why'd he leave Rice?

What specifically have his offenses done?

Houston, like many of the Rice clubs he was with, seems to have been a much stronger pitching outfit than a run producing outfit. Just looking at stats, but .278 average, 17 home runs, 358 strikeouts...

...am I supposed to be impressed with that?
EMY92
AG
quote:
Taylor has more trips to the College World Series than A&M in it's history!!!

If he were the head coach doing that, it would be a no brainer, but an assistant is only a part of the equation.

BTW, I'm not saying anything bad about him, but CWS trips as an assistant isn't the most important thing.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Do you want the best for Texas A&M baseball or do you want to just second guess and ***** during the season??? Taylor has more trips to the College World Series than A&M in it's history!!! STOP IT. Go argue with your wife or girlfriend. Texas fires Gustafson and they hire success, Garrido

[This message has been edited by chandlauch (edited 7/18/2014 9:55a).]

Why'd he leave Rice?
Tex100
AG
quote:
I call the talk about A&M being his "Dream Job" BS. These types of rumors pop up here all the time about coaches wanting to come here (Graham and Horton) but didn't really want to come here. They were just internet garbage

Graham used us to get a little more for him and his assistants. He admitted he had not been contacted.
Spyderman
AG
Sounds like a great HC candidate.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Taylor has more trips to the College World Series than A&M in it's history!!! STOP IT. Go argue with your wife or girlfriend

Yes, and even Childress and Sawyers were part of a team that was in Omaha more recently.

You seem to be taking this personally. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his teams vs. our own offense going back to 2007 are equal/worse than the production we had in College Station minus one season, and all that in the period of time that Rice put together that string of CWS appearances.

I wouldn't have a problem with the hiring of Taylor, he has a great reputation. I just think it's odd that we have the majority of a thread ready to hire the guy based on the internet endorsement of a few of his friends while he didn't have a team that outperformed the guy whose departure is being almost universally cheered.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/18/2014 5:44p).]
Chandlauch
Hell with friends... I'm concerned about Texas A&M Baseball being the best they can be... Taylor has coached on NINE Regional Champions, FIVE Super Regional Champions / in FIVE College World Series and ONE National Championship. I believe in Coach Childress, if he has quality help like this... if YOU have a choice that has this kind of success, put his name on here. I want Texas A&M Baseball to be the best in the state (and the SEC).
Kemo Sabe
So is he not on the friends of Childress list?

If not someone needs to slip him on there.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Hell with friends... I'm concerned about Texas A&M Baseball being the best they can be... Taylor has coached on NINE Regional Champions, FIVE Super Regional Champions / in FIVE College World Series and ONE National Championship. I believe in Coach Childress, if he has quality help like this... if YOU have a choice that has this kind of success, put his name on here. I want Texas A&M Baseball to be the best in the state (and the SEC).

Why did he leave Rice?

Or more importantly, why have you dodged this question three times?
Chandlauch
I've got a life buddy
... just read this. For everyone else on here reading this, not you... Mr. Taylor comes with a glowing recommendation from Coach Graham and the Rice Athletic Director at the time. It was good enough for UH, which, BTW, won their Regional (defeating LSU of the SEC in Baton Rouge) for the first time in years. Some accusation by an old arrogant Rice Baseball booster, who. after a lengthy investigation, has now been banned from the Rice Baseball program. He and his family have moved on, the former Rice players are still upset. Rice's loss was UH's gain. I hope it can be A&M's gain (and, also, an A&M Assistant baseball job is a 'Dream Job'for many!!!)

[This message has been edited by chandlauch (edited 7/29/2014 11:28a).]
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
I got a life buddy
... just read this. For everyone else on here reading this, not you... Mr. Taylor comes with a glowing recommendation from Coach Graham and the Rice Athletic Director at the time. It was good enough for UH, which, BTW, won theirt Regional (defeating LSU of the SEC in Baton Rouge) for the first time in years. Some accusation by an old arrogant Rice Baseball booster, who. after a lengthy investigation, has now been banned from the Rice Baseball program. He and his family have moved on, the former Rice players are still upset. Rice's loss was UH's gain. I hope it can be A&M's gain (and, also, an A&M Assistant baseball job is a 'Dream Job'for many!!!)

So the scandal that brought his abrupt departure after 12 years with Graham was all someone else's fault?

Don't want to interrupt your life too much by asking questions.
Chandlauch
YES... he now is at a state school (UH). He is a 'volunteer coach'. UH has two excellent paid assistants. Every college baseball program has a 'volunteer coach', they make money by doing camps and lessons. In this case, UH might have the best overall assistant in the country in that role. It is a perfectf fit for A&M, because he coaches 3B (which he did for years at Rice) and handles UH's hitting duties, and he"s a proven winner. Upgrading assistants in college baseball is more difficult than in other sports for some reason, but with Andy leaving and having those very duties, it just works for Coach Childress and Coach Taylor. We'll see.

[This message has been edited by chandlauch (edited 7/20/2014 8:17a).]
Chandlauch
GEA89
AG
How loose is his shoulder? Gotta' make sure he fits the Childress style of play.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
Chandlauch

Coach Taylor, is that you?
Chandlauch
Chandlauch
NO... just a former Aggie baseball captain. How about you, Duck Patrol... do you know anything about college baseball???
Captain Pablo
AG
Ouch
ftworthag02
AG
Chuck knoblauch
TXAggie2011
AG
Telling us we should sign an assistant because the team a good overall record is akin to telling so me one they should have given Scott Brosius a contract because he had some rings.

Chuck Knoblauch would get the reference.
W
AG
I thought MJ usually had seniors as his team captains. And in 1989 that would have been the closer and the first baseman
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.