Why cant Buzz recruit?

9,797 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Aggie0956732
Schrute Farms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FTAG 2000 said:

I see the resident Buzz homers have made an appearance. Y'all are a sensitive bunch.

We are whiffing on primary targets to replace Boots, it's fair to question what our twelfth highest paid coach in D1 is doing on the recruiting front.

He's #11. In the same $4mil group as:

12: Eric Musselmann (Missed NCAAT)
13. Mike Woodson (Missed NCAAT)
14. Mike Cronin (Missed NCAAT)
15. Tommy Lloyd (Sweet 16)
16. Tony Bennet (Lost Play In)
17. Dennis Gates (Missed NCAAT)
18. Dana Altman (Round of 32)
19. Kevin Willard (Missed NCAAT)
AggieCrew44
AG
Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

I see the resident Buzz homers have made an appearance. Y'all are a sensitive bunch.

We are whiffing on primary targets to replace Boots, it's fair to question what our twelfth highest paid coach in D1 is doing on the recruiting front.

Im not sure how it is hard to question that we aren't paying enough. It's pretty cut and dry

As we must have been Payne's highest bidders, did we pay too much there? Should we have saved some of that $ for Pope?
This is not what I said. Money isn't everything to everyone, but to think it doesn't greatly hinder Buzz is being oblivious
If money is the problem, then we likely need to talk about this.

Lots of great basketball coaches making $1 million, even $2 million per year than Buzz's $4,487,215 last year. Are we paying a head coach way to much of our school and fan's dollars allocated to men's basketball? An extra million or two to basketball NIL of our total allocation would do wonders.

Examples of the coaches I reference above:

Shaka Smart (Marquette) at $2.2M
Greg McDermott (Creighton) at $2.3M
TJ Otzelberger (Iowa St.) at $2.5M
Hubert Davis (North Carolina) at $2.6M
Mark Few (Gonzaga) at $2.7M
Grant McCasland (Texas Tech) at $2.9M
Rodney Terry (Texas) at $3.0M
Porter Moser (Oklahoma) at $3.1M
Chris Beard (Ole Miss) at $3.35M
Matt Painter (Purdue) at $3.68M

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach
There is nothing to really talk about. Basically everyone thinks he's a good/solid coach that is probably overpaid. He's a top 30ish coach

But the money for the AD in terms of hiring coaches is completely separate from NIL funds, at least for now
Gap
AG
I'm trying to find the money that some of you guys say we need. I found $1-2M per year. Both of our lists prove one thing - a coaching salary doesn't guarantee success or failure. Our decision seems to be an extravagant luxury in the age of NIL. It is a matter of where a program decides to spend its limited funds between coach's salaries, support staff, and players. If you toggle one up, another has to be toggled down.
Gap
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Im not sure how it is hard to question that we aren't paying enough. It's pretty cut and dry

As we must have been Payne's highest bidders, did we pay too much there? Should we have saved some of that $ for Pope?
This is not what I said. Money isn't everything to everyone, but to think it doesn't greatly hinder Buzz is being oblivious

Lots of great basketball coaches making $1 million, even $2 million per year than Buzz's $4,487,215 last year. Are we paying a head coach way to much of our school and fan's dollars allocated to men's basketball? An extra million or two to basketball NIL of our total allocation would do wonders.

But the money for the AD in terms of hiring coaches is completely separate from NIL funds, at least for now
My 12th Man Foundation/TAMU Athletic Dept donation vs NIL decisions absolutely compete for the same dollar currently.
bobinator
AG
Anyone seriously saying we should fire Buzz and hire a lower salaried coach so we have more NIL money is insane. Maybe I'm reading some folks wrong, but there's no way that's legitimately inside someone's head.
AggieCrew44
AG
Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

My 12th Man Foundation/TAMU Athletic Dept donation vs NIL decisions absolutely compete for the same dollar currently.
I mean that's your decision though, not the school's
t - cam
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

There is nothing to really talk about. Basically everyone thinks he's a good/solid coach that is probably overpaid. He's a top 30ish coach

Many of the guys on that list could make 6 million a year if they wanted to leave their schools and the rest aren't experienced and are being paid about where they should.
Gap
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Notice the name on where our Athletic Dept's money comes from. NIL and the 12th Man Foundation absolutely compete for the same dollars. I didn't think that was controversial.

carl spacklers hat
Gap said:

How many of these coaches would you replace Buzz with? 3, maybe 4? Looking at this list and the one that followed showing the coaches from 12-20 should illustrate that A&M has their guy. The "grass is always greener" crowd will never be happy.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
AggieCrew44
AG
Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Gap said:

AggieCrew44 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Notice the name on where our Athletic Dept's money comes from. NIL and the 12th Man Foundation absolutely compete for the same dollars. I didn't think that was controversial.

I never said they didn't compete. I said they are separate. It's people's decision on how those funds are used
Craigy
Method Man said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jesus Christ, I thought these ****posters would be gone until next season.

This was my fault when I said we'd dominate the boards again
So OP is not in the club? He made some legitimate points and posed a couple good questions
AggByMarriage
FTAG 2000 said:

I see the resident Buzz homers have made an appearance….We are whiffing on primary targets to replace Boots, it's fair to question.

Cool… another fair question. Who recruited Boots? Maybe we should just let that guy recruit the replacement.

Oh wait, he already is.
MarcAg
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

We are whiffing on primary targets to replace Boots.

We have no clue what we will end up with. Let's at least wait and see what we end up first before we ***** about it. There will be plenty time to ***** once the portal class is finished and then you at least know what you are *****ing about.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Anyone seriously saying we should fire Buzz and hire a lower salaried coach so we have more NIL money is insane. Maybe I'm reading some folks wrong, but there's no way that's legitimately inside someone's head.

Oh, that probably is legitimately inside at least a poster or two's head.

The baseball board right now is a good case study on how some fans will criticize and doom and gloom even when they have the privilege of a #1 ranked team in the country…because they lost a 1-run game to Bama last Sunday and then beat Houston 'only' by 2 runs on Tuesday to go to 23-0 non-con record for the year, but since A&M isn't playing a perfect game winning 15-0 every night then clearly it is time to really worry and predict that we won't win the national championship.
greg.w.h
AG
It definitely is an effort to control the outcome to prove they are part of the solution though even their ability to fire coaches is limited by their own commitment to funding our athletics programs. The football fans are further enabled by a notionally successful campaign to prevent Mark Stoops being hired.

I certainly do agree that more NIL opens up access to a broader range of athletes. It almost certainly was part of why key schools became blue bloods either due to direct under the table payments or the aura of winning more and getting more players into the League.

But Aggies as a whole don't overfund. Specific individuals do at times and most do it in a careful, planned way that benefits their legacy personally and with the school. I'll be crystal clear that I don't fund anything though I have a notional plan I'm working on to ad one or two scholarships equivalent to the President's Endowed Scholarship since I benefited from one as a "means limited" son of a pastor.

The question is what go the fans really want and what do they actually want to fund. The school currrnyly can't pay out of the various revenue streams for NIL directly which is why the 12thMan+ NIL fund was decommissioned.

But in the world of intercollegiate athletics spend goes up not down. Trying to rob Peter to pay Paul or lower coaching costs to free up NIL just is going cheap. That is the path to (further) irrelevance…
AggByMarriage
Aggie92ss said:

Basketball rankings have always been tough and weird

I think basketball rankings are vanity metrics. They really do not matter during the regular season.

Notice that rankings stop when the Tournament starts. The only ranking that counts is the last one.
greg.w.h
AG
Selling eyeballs, you said? The original polls sold papers with quaint hard copy ads…
JJxvi
AG
The salary thing all you morons bring up about him being overpaid is idiocy. We likely cant hire another coach as good or as well regarded as Buzz Williams. That is the fundamental problem, here. We'd probably have to pay even more per year in order to money whip an overhyped coach about to get fired at a better program just to get someone that is held in the same esteem as Buzz Williams currently is. We got Buzz to come here probably only because he and his wife's affinity for this part of the country.

Yes it is absolutely true that we can hire a cheaper coach for less money, but it is just wishes and hopes and dreams that whoever that is will actually end up being close to as good as Buzz Williams, much less better than Buzz Williams. Its much easier to overpay someone who you already know is good than it is to actually hire the right person for the job who currently works for a program that is not similar to yours.

And spare me all the bull**** preemptively about how much Buzz sucks, or that all his wins at other programs dont count or whatever other garbage there is. Im tired of this, Buzz is what we have and he doesnt play the game that makes all yalls testicles tingle so you can crow on a recruiting message board. Who gives a **** as long as we win?
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
JJxvi said:

The salary thing all you morons bring up about him being overpaid is idiocy. We likely cant hire another coach as good or as well regarded as Buzz Williams. That is the fundamental problem, here. We'd probably have to pay even more per year in order to money whip an overhyped coach about to get fired at a better program just to get someone that is held in the same esteem as Buzz Williams currently is. We got Buzz to come here probably only because he and his wife's affinity for this part of the country.

Yes it is absolutely true that we can hire a cheaper coach for less money, but it is just wishes and hopes and dreams that whoever that is will actually end up being close to as good as Buzz Williams, much less better than Buzz Williams. Its much easier to overpay someone who you already know is good than it is to actually hire the right person for the job who currently works for a program that is not similar to yours.

And spare me all the bull**** preemptively about how much Buzz sucks, or that all his wins at other programs dont count or whatever other garbage there is. Im tired of this, Buzz is what we have and he doesnt play the game that makes all yalls testicles tingle so you can crow on a recruiting message board. Who gives a **** as long as we win?

Here here!

As I've said on other posts and threads - the Buzz Williams era of play and results AND high quality development of young men is, in my opinion, by far the best Aggie Men's Basketball period in my lifetime.

We are truly fortunate to have him and his coaching staff.

I have a good feeling about this coming year not only being an entertaining season - but also satisfying in ending with the Aggies finally breaking through into the second weekend of the NCAAT.
Gap
AG
Next year better be the pinnacle because we are looking to be a heavy rebuild the following year.
Gap
AG
People complaining about NIL.

We have an enormous investment in our coach's salary beyond results. I say we have a resource allocation problem in this new era.

The response is just go get some more money - sell 2 more tea's. That isn't how the world works. An extra $1 million per year for basketball NIL would do wonders. And I showed you where the misallocation of funds is. Perhaps, Buzz will ask to restructure his deal for the good of the program. We would definitely have more funds for NIL and a team that could possibly be a national threat.

Nothing personal here. Just looking at what the identified problem here is and possible solutions.
AggByMarriage
Gap said:

Next year better be the pinnacle because we are looking to be a heavy rebuild the following year.

Going forward, most every year will be a rebuild year for college basketball teams.

The new normal… I hate normal.
MarcAg
AG
Gap said:

I think it's way too early to say what 2025-2026 will be. Too many unknowns about who will be here and who is going to be an impact player this coming year.
AggByMarriage
Gap said:

Nothing personal here. Just looking at what the identified problem here is and possible solutions.

We have a heavy investment in salary with Coach Williams…. Really? We just paid $76m to someone NOT to coach here.

A&M has more money than just about anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Let's go down the list:
The coach is one variable. We have a very good one. Check
Fan participation is mediocre. Needs improvement.
Facilities are ok. Could use some improvement.
Texas A&M is fantastic! But it is hard to convey Aggieland unless you are here for a bit.
Texas A&M expectations / tradition. They are great for football and baseball, but again mediocre for basketball.

Coach Williams is doing his part. A&M needs to step up.

Seriously paying someone $76,000,000 not to coach here and we complain about not having enough money. SMH.
Gap
AG
Covid eligibility still confuses me but I think we will lose Wade, Andersson, Henry, Manny, Jace, and Hayden.
MarcAg
AG
Billy mentioned on the radio that some Aggies he knows were excited about a possible basketball portal. Billy told them from his asking around the asking price from the player's side was 1 million (meaning A&M was not going to land the kid). He didn't say who. It might have been Pope though.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Despite all the talk of how much money our AD has, Billy said on radio couple days ago that last year our AD recorded between a $15 - $20 million dollar loss in the balance sheet. That is why 18 folks were just laid off and they are also making cuts in other areas. He also predicted relatively soon that schools would be directly paying players which would add another $20-25 million in expenses and that in turn could lead to hard decisions like cutting some non-revenue producing sports.

Yes, A&M is usually referred to as one of the 'haves'. But The financial structure of college athletics is apparently changing in big ways and every school is facing it.
AggieCrew44
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Despite all the talk of how much money our AD has, Billy said on radio couple days ago that last year our AD recorded between a $15 - $20 million dollar loss in the balance sheet. That is why 18 folks were just laid off and they are also making cuts in other areas. He also predicted relatively soon that schools would be directly paying players which would add another $20-25 million in expenses and that in turn could lead to hard decisions like cutting some non-revenue producing sports.

Yes, A&M is usually referred to as one of the 'haves'. But The financial structure of college athletics is apparently changing in big ways and every school is facing it.
As of now, we are at the minimum number of sports required to be D1, so unless the rule gets changed that's a massive hurdle to cutting sports (which I think is flat out stupid, we've completely lost any sense of what college athletics are supposed to be due to $$$)

Even then, if they were to get rid of that rule I have a really hard time seeing congress sit around and let a bunch of women's sports get dropped so football players that are getting paid anyway can make even more
bobinator
AG
Please make a list of people on the baseball board who aren't happy so I know who I can just ignore all the time.

If people aren't happy with this current baseball season they just don't enjoy being happy.
bobinator
AG
I like assumption that those extra funds would go to basketball and not just funneled into football.
Gap
AG
The assumption coming a year or more from now is the school will make athletes school employees. Given that this college sports industry is highly governed by federal law (Title IX), will we see all scholarship athletes receive the same salary? So our starting QB in football or our all-SEC 2-guard will be making the same as the third string soccer goalie who doesn't see the field?

Would any of this make NIL go away (that is a right the courts gave to the student-athlete) or is NIL going to be on top of student athletes being salaried?
bobinator
AG
There would presumably be a minimum salary but I don't see why everyone would have make the same amount. But I also assume NIL, which would then be true NIL, would be on top of that.
Gap
AG
Out of curiosity, what gives you hope it would be true NIL? Wouldn't the same insane system still exist with agents and schools competing against each other?
bobinator
AG
Well if schools can pay players directly with no salary limit then I assume that's where everyone would be putting their money. Then NIL would just be the actual rare athletes that have marketability beyond their appeal as a player. Or if they gain marketability during the season or something above what their contract is. What would be the point of collective NIL funds if you can just directly pay people?
94chem
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

JJxvi said:

Here here!

As I've said on other posts and threads - the Buzz Williams era of play and results AND high quality development of young men is, in my opinion, by far the best Aggie Men's Basketball period in my lifetime.

We are truly fortunate to have him and his coaching staff.

I have a good feeling about this coming year not only being an entertaining season - but also satisfying in ending with the Aggies finally breaking through into the second weekend of the NCAAT.

We were 1/16" from it this season.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.