Updated lineup

8,560 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bobinator
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Kennedy will have to find a way to steal some minutes for him, because very few players can play 35 minutes a game for a whole season and not wear down.

I think that's actually part of what happened to us a couple of years ago. House and Caruso were up over 33 minutes per game in conference play. Last year only House played more than 30 minutes per game in conference play, Caruso was down to 29 min/gm and you could tell the difference. Two minutes per game difference may not seem like a lot, but over the course of a season it is.

Especially if he's running point most of the time he's out there and defending the other team's best guard. We'll have to mix in some zones and some different things to help him on defense.
Hit the nail on the head. It will be very important to let him rest when we have the game in the bag.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
quote:
Kennedy will have to find a way to steal some minutes for him, because very few players can play 35 minutes a game for a whole season and not wear down.

I think that's actually part of what happened to us a couple of years ago. House and Caruso were up over 33 minutes per game in conference play. Last year only House played more than 30 minutes per game in conference play, Caruso was down to 29 min/gm and you could tell the difference. Two minutes per game difference may not seem like a lot, but over the course of a season it is.

Especially if he's running point most of the time he's out there and defending the other team's best guard. We'll have to mix in some zones and some different things to help him on defense.
Hit the nail on the head. It will be very important to let him rest when we have the game in the bag.
After Northern Iowa, how do we define "in the bag?"
Morpholino
AG
Up 13 with 44 sec left.
DTP02
AG
quote:
If losing Caldwell means we are in for a long year, then we were already in trouble. I don't think that Caldwell was going to start regardless. I do think him not being eligible hurts some, but I don't think it has that much of an effect on the outlook for the season.
Our coaches would disagree with that assessment as they were counting on him to be a significant contributor. He has a college level build, the best handles on the team, and would have the luxury of being paired with a 2 in Gilder who can take some of the load off him offensively and defensively. Oh, well.
DTP02
AG
quote:
Thanks, Logan. I assumed they were bringing in JC Hampton to start at PG (similar to A Collins last year) while Caldwell would be the backup/gain college level experience. Since JJ is ineligible, I then assumed Gilder would fill the backup PG minutes.

Hampton is a lot more of a combo guard, a scorer in a PG's body, than he is a true point. Some of that may be more what they needed from him last year at Lipscomb, so maybe he can grow into more of a primary ballhandler and facilitator role. I think that'd be the ideal scenario for this roster, either that or someone like Caleb Smith just coming in and playing beyond his years, but the more realistic scenario is Admon having to carry most of the load at point.
DTP02
AG
quote:
Here were the guys who got the most minutes per game in previous seasons of the Kennedy era.

2015-2016 Danuel House 30.9 mpg
2014-2015 Danuel House 32.5 mpg
2013-2014 Alex Caruso 29.8 mpg
2012-2013 Elston Turner 35.6 mpg
2011-2012 Elston Turner 33.7 mpg

We'll see if Admon Gilder gets into Elston Turner territory. I'm thinking probably, as long as he stays healthy. Though Admon should have a better overall team around him than Elston did.
Will be tough to rely on him to play as much as Elston because he will have primary ballhandler responsibility and be our best stopper at G. That takes a lot of energy.
sincereag
quote:
quote:
If losing Caldwell means we are in for a long year, then we were already in trouble. I don't think that Caldwell was going to start regardless. I do think him not being eligible hurts some, but I don't think it has that much of an effect on the outlook for the season.
Our coaches would disagree with that assessment as they were counting on him to be a significant contributor. He has a college level build, the best handles on the team, and would have the luxury of being paired with a 2 in Gilder who can take some of the load off him offensively and defensively. Oh, well.

Caldwell was definitely going to contribute in a big way. We have so much talent at the other positions that all we needed was a PG who could distribute and play defense. JJ certainly looked capable of being that player. I agree that this thrusts Gilder into the starting PG and we are really thin at the guard position now. We need Eubanks to emerge as a big-time threat at SG. I'm not counting on the other backup PGs to carry a big load but hopefully one of them surprises and can be very serviceable.
bobinator
AG
Also we're going to shoot A LOT of three pointers now.
sincereag
I'll be anxious to hear how Caleb Smith looks when the team starts practicing. He may be a strong possibility to get some minutes at PG. He's athletic and showed some great PG abilities in helping Bridgeport win the state championship in 2015 as a junior.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I'll be anxious to hear how Caleb Smith looks when the team starts practicing. He may be a strong possibility to get some minutes at PG. He's athletic and showed some great PG abilities in helping Bridgeport win the state championship in 2015 as a junior.
Had a chance to chat with some folks while at the Auburn game (I try to travel up once per fall to hookup with my dad for a game), and seemed like any PG help to give Gilder a break there will probably have to come from some mix of Hampton, Chris Collins, and Chase Carlton (Gillispie's JUCO guy). Expectations for the Caleb Smith kid to help much seemed low and unlikely. Remember that he is just a true freshman, like Caldwell, but not as talented. Looks like the better chances for help will come from the older guys.
bingram1230
AG
quote:
The great thing about our team is that most of our players can play multiple positions easily. Gilder can play 1-3, Hogg 3/4, Davis 4/5, Trocha 4/5, Vila 3/4, Eubanks 2/3, Williams 4/5. Makes rotations way easier.

Hampton
Gilder/Eubanks
Hogg/Vila
Trocha/Williams
Davis/Miller

Would be my guest with Gilder running back up point.

****, I think you could even have Hogg bring up the ball. Our offense is going to run through Davis any way. I'm sure Hogg could break/pass out of a press well enough to get the ball into our half and dump the ball to Davis in the post.

This is how I see the rotation turning out also but I have no idea what Hampton will be like.
GE
AG
I think someone said Admon is a better fit than Hampton to run the point.
bobinator
AG
I still think people worry about specific positions too much.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
I still think people worry about specific positions too much.
This. If Donald Sloan could be our de facto PG, so can Gilder.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
In 35 years of watching basketball I've never once heard anyone call the 4 spot a small forward.

In college ball? The wing (#3) is considered by every current source I've seen is defined as a combination of a shooting guard and a small forward.

Someone quoted Wikipedia saying the small forward is the wing, and that simply isn't the case in today's basketball. The wing is usually more of a guard than a forward.

The traditional center position at the college level is becoming extinct. Yes, if you look at an old manual it will show a center position, power forward, small forward, shooting guard, and point guard. But in reality, there are two forwards or posts...one a wide body physical presence that usually stays close to the basket like Tyler Davis and one that is usually thinner and more athletic that occasionally will step out and stretch the position like Tonny Trocha but spends most of his time in the paint. House was a #3 for A&M and he was not a small forward. He was a wing that strictly played on the perimeter. Then you had Gilder/Caruso at the #2(shooting guard) and Collins/Caruso at the point (#1).

In the future I'll be clearer by using the numbers of each position which isn't a gray area.

To the original point, Williams is a No. 4 this year, and not a No. 5...although hearing he's up to 237 lbs. tells me he could definitely grow into a No. 5 by his sophomore season although he has the athleticism to always play the No. 4.

Morpholino
AG
Probably. But it's the offseason. Not much else to talk about.
bobinator
AG
Oh I'm not saying don't talk about it, I just think the specifics of the positions are overrated. It's all just about mixing and matching the skill sets on the floor. Your 1-3 positions need to be able to shoot the three, dribble the ball, pass on the break and defend the perimeter. As long as that combination of guys can do those things, it's not that important what position they're in.

We're limited in our ability score off the bounce but that's nothing new. We're going to be relying on spacing and three point shooting to free up Tyler Davis.

2 big factors for our offense this season to me are: Has Trocha gotten better at setting screens? Can Hogg score from the high post/mid range? Those two guys being able to pose some threat from both the inside and outside will free up a lot of options for our offense.

Otherwise, we're going to be shooting a boat load of three pointers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.