Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Your Best/Favorite: Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

5,266 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BlueMiles
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really craving some delicious Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, F & S has good recipes, love to have one, or two, or three. Thanks
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
slo8140
AG
The one from the Southern Living Cookbook has aways been my favorite. Don't have the cookbook with me to post the recipe.

This coming from their website. Similar, but not the exact same as the old cookbook.

Recipe
Max Power
AG
I haven't made these but the Homesick Texan has helped me through some really dark times when I've needed Tex-Mex so it'll probably do the trick.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/sour-cream-chicken-enchiladas-recipe/
FIDO*98*
AG
- Dozen or more good corn tortillas. I use El Milagro.
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Quick ranchero sauce
- Sour cream sauce
- Plain jack cheese

Heat an oven to 425 and line a sheet pan with foil and spray with Pam. Halve 4-5 Roma tomatoes, Slice a white onion in half and cut one of the halves into rings, stem and seed a jalapeno, and peel 1-2 garlic cloves. Toss everything in a bit of neutral oil and roast for about 25 minutes.

While that's roasting, pick the chicken and put the carcass in a pot with the other half of the onion, some chopped carrots, and celery. Cover with water and bring to a simmer.

When the vegetables are cooked, put everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Take a 12" fry pan and pour oil to a depth of 1/4". Heat to medium low. Soften tortillas by adding to oil and heating for just a few seconds. Add oil as necessary until all tortillas are softened and pliable. Drain off all but 2 Tbls oil. Crank to med high and add in ranchero sauce. Further season with salt, Mexican oregano, and a Tbls of pured chipotle in adobo.

Mix sauce with shredded chicken and then roll about 1/4c into the tortillas. Place into a 9x12 baking pan sprayed with Pam seam side down

Strain the stock and measure out 2.5 cups. Take 4 Tbls butter and 1/3 cup of flour and cook ok until a light blonde roux. Slowly whisk in stock and 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic powder. Bring to a simmer and let thicken for about 2 mins. Remove from heat and add in 1 cup of full fat sour cream and whisk to combine (don't use light or fat free or your sauce will break in the oven. Season with salt to taste

Pour over enchiladas and top with 8oz shredded jack. Cover with foil and pop back into the 425 oven for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and cook about 5 mins more so cheese can start to brown

If you want to skip the ranchero step these are also excellent if you mix the chicken with 505 green chile sauce
jwoodmd
FIDO*98* said:

- Dozen or more good corn tortillas. I use El Milagro.
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Quick ranchero sauce
- Sour cream sauce
- Plain jack cheese

Heat an oven to 425 and line a sheet pan with foil and spray with Pam. Halve 4-5 Roma tomatoes, Slice a white onion in half and cut one of the halves into rings, stem and seed a jalapeno, and peel 1-2 garlic cloves. Toss everything in a bit of neutral oil and roast for about 25 minutes.

While that's roasting, pick the chicken and put the carcass in a pot with the other half of the onion, some chopped carrots, and celery. Cover with water and bring to a simmer.

When the vegetables are cooked, put everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Take a 12" fry pan and pour oil to a depth of 1/4". Heat to medium low. Soften tortillas by adding to oil and heating for just a few seconds. Add oil as necessary until all tortillas are softened and pliable. Drain off all but 2 Tbls oil. Crank to med high and add in ranchero sauce. Further season with salt, Mexican oregano, and a Tbls of pured chipotle in adobo.

Mix sauce with shredded chicken and then roll about 1/4c into the tortillas. Place into a 9x12 baking pan sprayed with Pam seam side down

Strain the stock and measure out 2.5 cups. Take 4 Tbls butter and 1/3 cup of flour and cook ok until a light blonde roux. Slowly whisk in stock and 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic powder. Bring to a simmer and let thicken for about 2 mins. Remove from heat and add in 1 cup of full fat sour cream and whisk to combine (don't use light or fat free or your sauce will break in the oven. Season with salt to taste

Pour over enchiladas and top with 8oz shredded jack. Cover with foil and pop back into the 425 oven for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and cook about 5 mins more so cheese can start to brown

If you want to skip the ranchero step these are also excellent if you mix the chicken with 505 green chile sauce
And he hath spoken…

FIDO*98*
AG
Living rent free in your pathetic little head every day. Adding you to my ignore list while you will still read everything I post.
jwoodmd
FIDO*98* said:

Living rent free in your pathetic little head every day. Adding you to my ignore list while you will still read everything I post.
Even you've got to admit that the way you write your recipes are straight out of a Seinfeld J Peterman catalog and hilarious if you read them in his voice.
jwag
AG
Go to Rosa's. Not kidding.
Tecolote
AG
jwoodmd said:

FIDO*98* said:

Even you've got to admit that the way you write your recipes are straight out of a Seinfeld J Peterman catalog and hilarious if you read them in his voice.
****ing hilarious
Mark Fairchild
AG
jwag: Would LOVE to go to Rosa's, cept NO WHERE on Gold Coast has one. Marsha and I would have made millions, millions I tell you if we had opened one in Rockport. Had the PERFECT location, but unfortunately the AGE disease has crippled our desire to work as hard as restaurants require.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HTownAg98
I guess I don't get the joke. Fido's recipe seems fairly straight forward, unlike most recipe blogs that have to tell you how they grew their own tomatoes, got their chicken from a family raising only heritage breed chickens, etc.

And I'd make a whole pan of those, try to eat the whole thing myself, and not feel any guilt at all about it.
rilloaggie
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I guess I don't get the joke. Fido's recipe seems fairly straight forward, unlike most recipe blogs that have to tell you how they grew their own tomatoes, got their chicken from a family raising only heritage breed chickens, etc.

And I'd make a whole pan of those, try to eat the whole thing myself, and not feel any guilt at all about it.

The gaggle of Fido haters is more annoying than anything they accuse Fido of doing. Dude asks got a recipe, Fido posts recipe, haters make wisecracks and derail another thread and collect their blue stars. Such is the way of the food board these days!
AgNav93
AG
rilloaggie said:

HTownAg98 said:

The gaggle of Fido haters is more annoying than anything they accuse Fido of doing. Dude asks got a recipe, Fido posts recipe, haters make wisecracks and derail another thread and collect their blue stars. Such is the way of the food board these days!
I love his recipes. Everyone I've made has turned out awesome. But, I have to say, from now on I won't be able to help but read them with a J Peterman voice.
sanitariex
AG
I for one have always loved Fido's content and he never leaves. All of his recipes are NAILS.
Tecolote
AG
AgNav93 said:

rilloaggie said:

HTownAg98 said:

I love his recipes. Everyone I've made has turned out awesome. But, I have to say, from now on I won't be able to help but read them with a J Peterman voice.
This is so true. Both items can be true. Fido's recipes are very good and informative and people like/enjoy them. Also, his writing is somewhat entertaining and I don't see the J Peterman thing as an insult - in fact I kind of laugh that in a way it's a compliment. It also brings more attention to a Fido recipe. Just my two cents.
StinkyPinky
AG
Tecolote said:

AgNav93 said:

rilloaggie said:

HTownAg98 said:

This is so true. Both items can be true. Fido's recipes are very good and informative and people like/enjoy them. Also, his writing is somewhat entertaining and I don't see the J Peterman thing as an insult - in fact I kind of laugh that in a way it's a compliment. It also brings more attention to a Fido recipe. Just my two cents.

This
CrawfordAg
AG
Made these last week and they were fantastic. I used a rotisserie chicken and hebs mixta tortillas that are a corn/flour mix. They taste like corn with he pliability of flour.

investorAg83
AG
CrawfordAg said:

Made these last week and they were fantastic. I used a rotisserie chicken and hebs mixta tortillas that are a corn/flour mix. They taste like corn with he pliability of flour.

I was going to post this one too. They were very, very good and easy. I used a rotisserie chicken as well but I think next time I'll just cook a few breasts…I didn't really like the rotisserie flavor coming through and I actually think it's easier to just cook my own chicken (plus I don't have to worry about the store bought chicken being dry).

Love all of her recipes.
HTownAg98
I made Fido's recipe last night. They turned out really well, except the sauce was a little thin due to operator error (I used 1/4 instead of 1/3 cup flour for the sour cream sauce).
Gilligan
AG
sanitariex said:

I for one have always loved Fido's content and he never leaves. All of his recipes are NAILS.

Fido needs to add pics of finished products for the hellofit
AgTrip
This thread makes me think of this episode! HAHA

AggieFlyboy
AG
FIDO's recipes are fine. It's the attitude that his are the final answer on any recipe and no other opinions are relevant…thus the Peterman allusion is both funny and apropos
FIDO*98*
AG
Nice little fantasy land you're living in there. I compliment people's food and recipes here all the time
LCE
AG
Broken Cheese! Great show.
Rocketman84
AG
Costco has bags of pulled rotisserie chicken meat, ready to throw into anything. I think they are around 3# packages. Tasty and convenient.
aglaes
AG
CrawfordAg said:

I second this. Wife has this cookbook and we've made them twice now and will become a new go to recipe in our house.
investorAg83
AG
aglaes said:

CrawfordAg said:

I second this. Wife has this cookbook and we've made them twice now and will become a new go to recipe in our house.

We just made the Greek chicken orzo thing last night and I'm not the biggest fan or artichokes…might be one of her best recipes. Pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.
StinkyPinky
AG
CrawfordAg said:

Who's cookbook is it?
investorAg83
AG
https://thedefineddish.com/cookbooks/dinner-tonight/

Can get it at Target, Amazon, etc for about $20. Her other cookbooks are great, too. Wife stumbled onto her a while ago (she's a Dallas native).
StinkyPinky
AG
Awesome, thanks for the reply!
NColoradoAG
CrawfordAg said:

Made this last night and it was a huge hit. I used snack size flour tortillas and flour for the roux. Everyone went back for seconds and there were no leftovers.
Chipotlemonger
AG
We have the DT cookbook as well. Those enchiladas are great.
FIDO*98*
AG
Earlier this thread had me thinking....is there anything more gringo than ordering enchiladas with sour cream sauce. Now that that recipe has been posted 4 times I see that you can take white people cook Mexican a step even further
Chipotlemonger
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Earlier this thread had me thinking....is there anything more gringo than ordering enchiladas with sour cream sauce. Now that that recipe has been posted 4 times I see that you can take white people cook Mexican a step even further
It's just a nice change up. Still much prefer regular enchiladas!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Make enchiladas suizas instead of sour cream. They're better.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.