Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Server being dumb or manipulative?

6,711 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Natasha Romanoff
92Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lunch bill: $10.48

Amt tendered: $20 bill

Change: $10 ( two $5 bills)
'03ag
Manipulative.
Duncan Idaho
Manipulative.

I would have left no tip after that crap. I hate the while institution of tipping enough as it is but when you try to game it even more, I am free to say "screw you"

Didn't mean to blue star my own post
Bruce Almighty
AG
The fact that the server gave you 10 back instead of 9.52 shows that it was on purpose.
92Ag95
AG
This is what I was thinking. At the time I was tempted to just say......eff you and leave nothing. Seemed like an effort to score one of the $5 bills. Sorry....not leaving a 50% tip. Had 3 quarters in my pocket and not wanting two fives or a ten back is why I didn't use two of the quarters when I paid....I wanted some ones. I left the $0.75 because I couldn't leave nothing in light of the fact that the service was ok. I usually tip 20-25% and probably would have left $3 if I'd received singles like I should have. I know this is all chump change but I thought it was the principle of the matter.
Duncan Idaho
You're nicer than me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I would have left a note saying that I'm not going to leave a 5 dollar tip on a 10 dollar check and if you wanted a tip, you should have left some ones. If the server really was an idiot and didn't do it on purpose, at least its a learning experience for the server.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You could always just ask for some singles? I agree, asshattery was indeed involved, no need to continue the cycle.
SumAggie
Bruce Almighty said:

The fact that the server gave you 10 back instead of 9.52 shows that it was on purpose.
and theft.....
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
who pays cash at a restaurant?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Quote:

The fact that the server gave you 10 back instead of 9.52 shows that it was on purpose. and theft.....

No necessarily theft. We always kept our own bank and settled up at the end of the night, meaning he gave you 48 cents from his pocket hoping to get $4.52 in return.
Duncan Idaho
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Quote:

The fact that the server gave you 10 back instead of 9.52 shows that it was on purpose. and theft.....

No necessarily theft. We always kept our own bank and settled up at the end of the night, meaning he gave you 48 cents from his pocket hoping to get $4.52 in return.

So it was a bribe?

95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

People who don't want their credit card skimmed?
Duncan Idaho
AGnCS said:

Quote:

People who don't want their credit card skimmed?

Meh. The cash back is worth the hassle of having to uodate my auto pays and Amazon account if it is skimmed

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yes! But a bribe paid out his own pocket
62strat
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Quote:

this. My wife worked at outback for years. She had to have her own cash/change to start shifts. She would settle up at end of shift.
Ogre09
AG
Just ask him to break the 5. Just because he's being a dick doesn't mean you have to.
AggieChemist
AG
Ogre09 said:

Just ask him to break the 5. Just because he's being a dick doesn't mean you have to.
I'm not going to waste my time being extra nice just because you're an idiot/dick.

This same thing has happened to me three or four times. Every time they got no tip.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Seems like they are learning their lesson
gigemJTH12
AG
Last week we were out to eat and my burger was incredibly late. We were at an Italian restaurant(the burger is really good) so its one of the easier meal to prepare. I finally got it when our entire party had finished eating. I had drank 5 beers in the mean time. Expensive beer.

Got my check back (~100 bucks), and there was literally nothing changed. I was furious.

I didnt want half off or anything, but this burger was obnoxiously late. Embarrassingly late. And the fact that she easily could have knocked off one or two of my beers very easily, and didnt, just really bothered me.

first 0.00 tip I have given in a while. I also left a note.
gigemJTH12
AG
as for OP, thats about exactly how I would have handled it.

would have bothered me enough to leave about a dollar.
Bruce Almighty
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Last week we were out to eat and my burger was incredibly late. We were at an Italian restaurant(the burger is really good) so its one of the easier meal to prepare. I finally got it when our entire party had finished eating. I had drank 5 beers in the mean time. Expensive beer.

Got my check back (~100 bucks), and there was literally nothing changed. I was furious.

I didnt want half off or anything, but this burger was obnoxiously late. Embarrassingly late. And the fact that she easily could have knocked off one or two of my beers very easily, and didnt, just really bothered me.

first 0.00 tip I have given in a while. I also left a note.
So you stiffed the server because she didn't give you free beer when its likely against restaurant policy (and possibly against the law depending on where you live) to give away free alcohol?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Seems like there's a bunch of people who are scared to talk to their server. Avoiding confrontation and posting about it on a message board seems like a much better option.
gigemJTH12
AG
yep.

you think nothing should have been done about the wait for over an hour for a burger?
Bruce Almighty
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

yep.

you think nothing should have been done about the wait for over an hour for a burger?
I'm not saying stiffing the server wasn't justified, as I don't know all the details, but in most restaurants, servers can't give away free food and they can't take things off of a check. That's a manager's call. Again, if the server didn't do all she could to make you happy, then I don't have a problem with it, but when I served, it pissed me off when I got stiffed because the kitchen screwed up. They're still getting paid no matter what. Now if she didn't get management involved, then that's on her, but I think expecting free beer is a little weird.
gigemJTH12
AG
free beer was just an example.

I dont think its really up for debate whether I was justified or not. It was one of the worst dining experiences I have had and maybe the only time there was no attempt to justify it.

Like you said, its the servers job to make sure I am taken care of. And nothing was done.
An Ag in CO
AG
Some pretty weird passive-aggressive approaches in play here. If you have a problem with the server or anything related to your meal then ask a question either of the server or the manager.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

gigemJTH12 said:

yep.

I'm not saying stiffing the server wasn't justified, as I don't know all the details, but in most restaurants, servers can't give away free food and they can't take things off of a check. That's a manager's call. Again, if the server didn't do all she could to make you happy, then I don't have a problem with it, but when I served, it pissed me off when I got stiffed because the kitchen screwed up. They're still getting paid no matter what. Now if she didn't get management involved, then that's on her, but I think expecting free beer is a little weird.
IF you don't think free beer should be expected in that situation, then when would it ever be expected? I would expect the entire food to be comped at the least for something like that.
Bruce Almighty
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Bruce Almighty said:

gigemJTH12 said:

yep.

IF you don't think free beer should be expected in that situation, then when would it ever be expected? I would expect the entire food to be comped at the least for something like that.
Unless a bartender is hooking you up with free drinks, probably never. I can't speak for all restaurants, but the two that I have worked for, it was against restaurant policy to give away free alcohol. I've had tables get their entire food purchase taken off a check, but never did I have alcohol taken off.
gigemJTH12
AG
the free beer suggestion was taken much too literally.

I was just saying that something should have been comped.
MichaelJ
AG
There are a lot of ass hats on this thread who've clearly never been a server.

To the op. From the minute you sit down at any restaurant, until the minute you leave, you are always being manipulated by either the server or the restaurant itself. Doubly so at chain restaurants
aggiebq03+
MichaelJ said:

There are a lot of ass hats on this thread who've clearly never been a server.

To the op. From the minute you sit down at any restaurant, until the minute you leave, you are always being manipulated by either the server or the restaurant itself. Doubly so at chain restaurants

As long as they are manipulating me into a good meal with good service at a price I consider reasonable I've got no problem with that.

If they won't give me proper change hoping to get a 50% tip, **** them.
Vernada
AG
The proper manipulating here is giving change with lots of ones.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Lots of passive aggressiveness here. Remember your servers are people working a job, similar to you filing your TPS reports. If your boss didn't like your TPS report format, I am sure you would like an explanation from your boss as to why he was docking your pay for it. Then, you would likely fix the formatting issue on the report and all future reports.
AggieChemist
AG
If it's not blatantly obvious to you as a server that giving two fives in this case is a bad choice, you're in the wrong line of work.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.