Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Server being dumb or manipulative?

6,709 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Natasha Romanoff
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Youve clearly never been a server if you dont tip 75% on every meal regardless of how your dining experience was"

/servers
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You are assuming every server has other options.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I do believe you owe 15%, that's my personal belief, and don't need to force it on anyone. A server would have to be in my face rude to receive less. That being said I also have no problem complaining to them, asking for resolution, or sending food back in a respectful manner.
gigemJTH12
AG
It should not be the responsibility of the customer to ask to be comped or to make a clear and blatant lapse in service justified.

Its awkward and if you are dining with friends it can ruin the experience to have to say something. Thats the servers job.

If its clear that something went seriously wrong in the service, the server needs to be a professional and realize it, and fix it.

If not, it will reflect in their tip.

No one will ever convince me this is wrong. And I am a very generous tipper.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I agree that you shouldn't have to ask to be comped, nor should you ask. I do however believe if something is wrong with your service and the server does not acknowledge then there is a respectful way to bring it up with them, without making it weird.

Also I don't expect much from a place where the average tip is less than $5 bucks, because you have to be working 4-5 covers an hour to make any amount of cash there.
MichaelJ
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

It should not be the responsibility of the customer to ask to be comped or to make a clear and blatant lapse in service justified.

Its awkward and if you are dining with friends it can ruin the experience to have to say something. Thats the servers job.

If its clear that something went seriously wrong in the service, the server needs to be a professional and realize it, and fix it.

If not, it will reflect in their tip.

No one will ever convince me this is wrong. And I am a very generous tipper.

1) Just because something goes wrong doesn't mean you should get something for free. That is a very common misconception amongst the customer.

2) I've always found that the people who have to laud about how generous of a tipper they are, always seem to be the stingiest *******s out there.

I was a server and do feel strongly about tipping. Not too much but definitely 20%. In this example, yes, 2 5s was probably the wrong call. However some of you people really have ridiculous service standards and very skewed ideaologies when it comes to how to treat your wait staff.
gigemJTH12
AG
1) well it should mean that. If it doesnt mean that at a certain place, I just wont come back. Why would I eat somewhere that the service sucked and they didnt make it right? that just crappy customer service.

2)you are wrong. I tip very well.

Furlock Bones
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I do believe you owe 15%, that's my personal belief, and don't need to force it on anyone. A server would have to be in my face rude to receive less. That being said I also have no problem complaining to them, asking for resolution, or sending food back in a respectful manner.
wrong. restaurants should pay their employees properly. now, i'm an over tipper and my wife will tell you that. but, every time i go to Europe, I'm reminded of how bassackwards we live in some respects.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Restaurants should pay their employees better, but they don't and won't as long as the system is what it is. I know the system when I go to a restaurant, so by under tipping I am just as guilty of underpaying as the business.
Duncan Idaho
Over the course of my life, thr expected Tip has gone from 10% pretax to 15% to 18% to 20% post-tax.

That is just insane.
Icecream_Ag
S
Furlock Bones said:

wrong. restaurants should pay their employees properly. now, i'm an over tipper and my wife will tell you that. but, every time i go to Europe, I'm reminded of how bassackwards we live in some respects.
On the flip side, you actually get service in America. So its a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing.
Duncan Idaho
Icecream_Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

On the flip side, you actually get service in America. So its a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing.

I prefer the level of service you receive in Europe and Australia. But then again I am not trying to slam as many diet cokes and cheddar biscuits as I can in 30 mins.

If I am out to eat, I want a slow relaxing diner with company i enjoy. Take my order, bring me my food and leave me and my party alone until you see that everyone at the table has finished the course or I let you know that I want something.

Granted I don't remember the last time I ate fast casual, since I don't have kids, I know how to cook and I am not really pressed for time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Quote:

Granted I don't remember the last time I ate fast casual, since I don't have kids, I know how to cook and I am not really pressed for time

Do you not eat out for lunch at work? That is pretty much when I get my fast casual in. Europe is hit or miss its a big place and varies by country or even region.
Icecream_Ag
S
Duncan Idaho said:

Icecream_Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

I prefer the level of service you receive in Europe and Australia. But then again I am not trying to slam as many diet cokes and cheddar biscuits as I can in 30 mins.

If I am out to eat, I want a slow relaxing diner with company i enjoy. Take my order, bring me my food and leave me and my party alone until you see that everyone at the table has finished the course or I let you know that I want something.

Granted I don't remember the last time I ate fast casual, since I don't have kids, I know how to cook and I am not really pressed for time.

pretty sure we've had this discussion before. However, when you are the listed server for a table and we never see you, thats not "letting people eat", thats just flat out horrible service.

In two different places in England we had one person take our drink order, another person bring it out 15 minutes later, 20 minutes later we got to place our food order with a third person, a fourth person brought our food 30 minutes later, a fifth person refilled our water 70 minutes after we asked the third person for more, a sixth person brought our check, and I'm pretty sure our assigned waitperson actually brought the card back.

All in all, it was a 2+ hour meal for pizza and I think bar fare was the other place.
MichaelJ
AG
Why should you get something for free? What sense does that make? It's not always the server's fault sometimes it's the kitchen, it can be any number of things that don't reflect on the actual service you are receiving. You not tipping in most restaurants only effects the server you are stiffing and no one else.

If you buy a shirt and have to wait too long at the counter or get home and discover a flaw, do you expect the shirt for free? No, you just get a new damned shirt. So why should you get free food? That makes no sense whatsoever.

And again. Keep bragging about how good a tipper you are and it will keep reinforcing that you barely tip over 13% and are one of those people sitting there looking for reasons to deduct from the waiters tip from the start.
Furlock Bones
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Over the course of my life, thr expected Tip has gone from 10% pretax to 15% to 18% to 20% post-tax.

That is just insane.

This.
gigemJTH12
AG
You seem tough.
Furlock Bones
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Icecream_Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

Agreed. I don't want to be interrupted every 5-10 minutes asking if I need anything. More coke. More whatever.
MichaelJ
AG
You bragged about stiffing a waiter but rationalized it by claiming your tipping virtues. You also threw a temper tantrum because you didn't get free beer for a late burger.

But yes, I'm the internet tough/cool guy.
Furlock Bones
AG
MichaelJ said:

You bragged about stiffing a waiter but rationalized it by claiming your tipping virtues. You also threw a temper tantrum because you didn't get free beer for a late burger.

Fwiw, I think the Gigem is whining about something he could have fixed. But he wasn't adult enough to inquire as to where his meal was. That's his own fault.

Sorry not OP. Fixed.
gigemJTH12
AG
MichaelJ said:

I think if anything that would just make me an in real life tough guy. I just posted a story on the internet. Your tone towards me(a complete stranger who didnt even address you) would probably make you the internet tough guy. But, what do I know.

Duncan Idaho

Quote:

Granted I don't remember the last time I ate fast casual, since I don't have kids, I know how to cook and I am not really pressed for time

Do you not eat out for lunch at work? That is pretty much when I get my fast casual in. Europe is hit or miss its a big place and varies by country or even region.

Work from home or on site at clients. And when I am on-site it is mostly lunch meetings and sales/team dinners somewhere decent.
RK
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

MichaelJ said:

I think if anything that would just make me an in real life tough guy. I just posted a story on the internet. Your tone towards me(a complete stranger who didnt even address you) would probably make you the internet tough guy. But, what do I know.

don't sweat it. mj was probably a sh*tty server who was never wrong...
Natasha Romanoff
92Ag95 said:

Lunch bill: $10.48

Amt tendered: $20 bill

Change: $10 ( two $5 bills)
Had a similar situation, except I actually received poor service. Went to lunch at an Italian place. Pretty empty for lunch service. Moderate size party...probably about 5 of us. Food took a reeeeeally long time for a lunch service. Okay, whatever, not her fault. But our waitress hardly came around to refill drinks and was hardly visible for us to even get her attention for refills or the check(s). But that's not what did it for me.

Check time comes around and everyone but me is paying with a card (I know, I know; I just had spare cash from a coworker paying me back and used it rather than go to an ATM later). She then proceeds to take each card ONE AT A TIME all the way across the restaurant, struggles with the register, and comes back. For EVERY card. Then she grabs my cash, takes a while again to bring my change ($20 for a $10+ meal also) and brings me two $5s. I didn't leave a tip in that situation because the service didn't warrant it and she didn't give me ones. And at that point, what should have been a 45 minute to an hour lunch was an hour and a half so I didn't want to wait around for her to give me change, again.

That was only the second time in my life I didn't tip. The first was during a Friday night dinner rush and our waiter forgot about us (high school kids) for over an hour. He brought drinks but never came to take our order. We had to grab another waitress in a different section, and then our waiter came back at the end for checks. I get it, we're high school kids and all that. But the waitress who took our orders and filled them got a great tip, he got a stack of 5 pennies.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.