Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best light beer?

6,183 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K2T2
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't make fun of me. I'm trying to lose weight. Been drinking bud light platinum because of higher alcohol content, but don't really like the taste.
dave99ag
AG
Water. Really.

Cut out the brews and it'll really help knock off the pounds.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah I'm kinda old and know that, but that's not what I asked. Baby steps.
aggiebq03+
What are you saving drinking light beer, like 50 calories? You aren't going to lose any weight switching to light beer.
Rockdoc
AG
Just trying to cut carbs, but thanks anyway.
aggiebq03+
Looking for low carb beer is like looking for low carb bread. And you are welcome.
Rockdoc
AG
quote:
Looking for low carb beer is like looking for low carb bread. And you are welcome.
Dude don't be a jerk, you didn't have to answer. I just asked a question but I'll know better next time. That's why I asked here instead of the zoo.
jah003
S
Michelob Ultra...? That's what all the super fit, carb fearing people in the commercials like to drink.
dave99ag
AG
How much beer do you currently drink? Don't kill the beer goodness. Maybe only drink 25% of your normal consumption if cold turkey doesn't work.
Vernada
AG
Probably save more carbs/calories by just drinking 2-3 fewer beers of whatever you're drinking. Otherwise ultra seems like a solid choice.
Rockdoc
AG
Yep prob right.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I tried the mgd lite (I think, it's been awhile) and found the fact that they were so watered down I was drinking more so I just went back to less of my normal Miller lite. Cutting out beer sucks
Duncan Idaho
Frio light. Just be gentle with the cans.
BlackLab
AG
Miller light.
An Ag in CO
AG
Find a good Kolsch or Kolsch-style beer rather than anything brewed for less calories.
Whoop04
Guinness has something like 125 calories.

Cancelled
AG
quote:
Guinness has something like 125 calories.

I gotta second this. Guineas is your best bet
Potcake
AG
Guinness >>>>>>>Ultra

Damn, I had no idea it had that few calories. I may have to drink more and less IPAs.
aggiemike89
AG
Shiner Light Blonde is also an ok alternative. I'm no lite beer fan but when I wanna watch calories, it's what I drink.
jh0400
AG
If you're that worried about calories, why not drink vodka and soda?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Just switch to liquor if you're watching carbs and still want a good buzz.
aggiebq03+
quote:
quote:
Dude don't be a jerk, you didn't have to answer. I just asked a question but I'll know better next time. That's why I asked here instead of the zoo.

I wasn't being a jerk. It's a serious answer to your question. You aren't going to signifigantly cut carbs drinking anything made with grain as a base. Just like you can't get low carb bread that would be any good.

Just drink less beer. But make the ones you do drink good beer.
Oso96
AG
Vodka and water. Ditch the beer
Whoop04
Vodka and water? I'd rather just not drink.
Matsui
AG
Rolling rock! My favorite. Ha

I also say just switch to liquor and water

Or just drink 25% less than what you do now
rwv2055
AG
Pearl light only has 68 calories.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sam Adams Light is pretty decent. I'd take it over mass produced non light American beers.
Seven Costanza
AG
Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and a 12 oz 5% beer contains 14 grams of alcohol, so that's 98 calories already without even adding in the carbs from the beer. A lower alcohol light beer, say 4.2%, will still be 82 calories of alcohol before factoring in carbs. The point is, any super-low calorie beer simply isn't going to have enough alcohol in it to have the desired effect. Michelob Ultra is marketed as the "low carb beer for people that are watching their calories", but it only has 1 less calorie than Miller Lite (and the same alcohol content).

I would go with a Shiner Light Blonde. 98 calories. 4.2%.
LCE
AG
Nothing wrong w vodka n water. Must be a rookie
Superdave1993
AG
Don't know the calories, but Yuengling light is not bad for a light beer.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love light beer, Coors Light is my preference but I also like Lone Star Light
62strat
AG
quote:
Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and a 12 oz 5% beer contains 14 grams of alcohol, so that's 98 calories already without even adding in the carbs from the beer. A lower alcohol light beer, say 4.2%, will still be 82 calories of alcohol before factoring in carbs. The point is, any super-low calorie beer simply isn't going to have enough alcohol in it to have the desired effect. Michelob Ultra is marketed as the "low carb beer for people that are watching their calories", but it only has 1 less calorie than Miller Lite (and the same alcohol content).

I would go with a Shiner Light Blonde. 98 calories. 4.2%.
There are many craft session beers which are in the 3-4% range, also berliner weisse if that's your thing, those are usually in the 3% range.

Your example at 4% brings alcohol calories down to 78.. so most likely total is under 100. 3% would be 59 + carbs. You're adding only say 300-400 calories a week if you drink ~4 of these.

Low abv examples:
Jester King commercial suicide and Le Petit Prince are only 2.9%.
Firestone walker easy jack 4.5%
Stone go-to IPA 4.5%
New Belgium slow ride 4.5%
Breck agave wheat 4.2%

Here's a big list of beers all under 5%. https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/07/blind-tasting-and-ranking-90-of-the-best-session-b.html

Or find some 3.2 beer.. you can get fat tire, blue moon, etc among other 'craft' in 3.2 form from a 3.2 state.

AlaskanAg99
AG
A lot of calories comes not only from the beer itself, but the munchies you get while drinking. So look at your total eating and drinking habits. Download an app to track calories and be honest when you input what you're eating. Even get a smith scale for things like lunch meat or to see what an actual portion is. You'll be surprised that what you think is normal is really 2 to 3 servings.

Another trick is to have a pint of ice water between beers, if you just want to drink less but for the same amount of time (football games) drink more water.
SJEAg
AG
Miller Lite has significantly lesser carbs than the other mass produced lights (i.e. Bud, Coors). It's pretty comparable to Mich Ultra in that regard.
CrawfordAg
AG
I like Real Ale's Gose during the summer time. If you choose any craft session beer you should have a relatively low ABV w/o sacrificing flavor.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.