Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best light beer?

6,182 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K2T2
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What light beer does Benny drink?
schmendeler
AG
or, continue the idea of moderation that comes with dieting and just drink less (actually good) beer.
Seven Costanza
AG
You can undoubtedly find quality tasting beer that is lower alcohol content and thus fewer calories, but it seems clear to me in the original post that he wants to get a nice buzz with as few calories as possible. Most people can't get that effect on 3.2% beer, unless they drink a lot of it (which negates any calories saved). If you want the buzz, your going to need to take in a certain amount of alcohol over a given period of time; and that amount of alcohol has an unavoidable number of calories.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You could always get a calorie free buzz with a little wacky tabacky, also makes you less crazy at the games
BurnetAggie99
Miller Lite and Ultra ares your two best bets for Low Carb
AggieOO
excercise more. then you can drink more.

plus, you'll likely be somewhat dehydrated, so the alcohol kicks in faster!
dustin999
AG
It's not always about calorie counting:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-alcohol-affects-metabolism.html

quote:
Because your body can't store alcohol and must metabolize it right away, other metabolic processes suffer. Your body won't metabolize sugars and fats as efficiently during the metabolism of alcohol, and drinking heavily can cause your metabolism to slow. This can contribute to weight gain, as can the empty calories found in alcohol. You can use FitDay.com to keep track of the calories you consume and your nutrition, so that alcohol doesn't hinder your weight loss plans or put you at risk of malnutrition.

But, for those looking to lose weight and willing to become full fledge alcoholics, there is good news!

quote:
Alcohol can also cause weight loss in those who drink heavily over the long term. Alcohol continues to slow the metabolism of long term drinkers, but it also causes inflammation in the organs of the digestive tract. If you drink heavily in the long term, alcohol can impair your body's ability to absorb nutrients. If you become chronically malnourished due to alcohol consumption, you'll lose weight in spite of your slower metabolism.

I've always wondered how a lot of heavy drinkers are so skinny...
hcrt74
AG
I recommend Amstel Light
HvilleAggie
AG
+1 for shiner light blonde
62strat
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You can undoubtedly find quality tasting beer that is lower alcohol content and thus fewer calories, but it seems clear to me in the original post that he wants to get a nice buzz with as few calories as possible. Most people can't get that effect on 3.2% beer, unless they drink a lot of it (which negates any calories saved). If you want the buzz, your going to need to take in a certain amount of alcohol over a given period of time; and that amount of alcohol has an unavoidable number of calories.
All alcohol from beer will effect you the same, and alcohol to calories is linear, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

you either drink just a few high alcohol beers with more calories, or a bunch of low alcohol beers with fewer calories. 6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

I'm just pointing out that there is so much more to 'lite' beer than the macros. There are tons of craft options that fall into that category, whether you say lite is low alcohol or lite in flavor. What the hell is lite anyway.
JSKolache
AG
Red Stripe Light is excellent - just hard to find.
Seven Costanza
AG
62strat said:

Seven Costanza said:

All alcohol from beer will effect you the same, and alcohol to calories is linear, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

you either drink just a few high alcohol beers with more calories, or a bunch of low alcohol beers with fewer calories. 6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

That's exactly what I'm saying: advising lower abv beer when one wants a buzz will ultimately not save any calories.
62strat
AG
Seven Costanza said:

62strat said:

Seven Costanza said:

That's exactly what I'm saying: advising lower abv beer when one wants a buzz will ultimately not save any calories.
but if he drinks higher abv beers in order to get a buzz, then now he's taking in a lot of calories. Do you see where this is going?
Seven Costanza
AG
Yes, that's the point. Again, we are agreeing with each other.
62strat
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Perhaps.. but my original post pointed out low alcohol/calorie craft beers, and nothing in the OPs original post mentioned him wanting to maintain a healthy buzz while drinking, only to lower calories.. then you came in with your circular reference mumbo jumbo which has proven to go no where.
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

Seven Costanza said:

Perhaps.. but my original post pointed out low alcohol/calorie craft beers, and nothing in the OPs original post mentioned him wanting to maintain a healthy buzz while drinking, only to lower calories.. then you came in with your circular reference mumbo jumbo which has proven to go no where.
the OP says he's been drinking a particular brand because of its higher alcohol content. it's not a leap from there to assume that it's because he wants a buzz.
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

62strat said:

Seven Costanza said:

the OP says he's been drinking a particular brand because of its higher alcohol content. it's not a leap from there to assume that it's because he wants a buzz.
Again, maybe so, but op specifically asked for what a good light beer in order to lower calorie intake, so I named some. Am I to assume OP doesn't know alcohol has calories too and that lowering calories means lowering alcohol means no buzz? I don't like to make assumptions.. I answered his question with a perfectly legitimate answer.
John Francis Donaghy
The answer is liquor.
K2T2
There are quite a few Goses (Real Ale's gose IS awesome) out there right now that have around 125-135 calories, and actually taste good. UINTAs Baba has 126 calories in a can, and is my go-to when I gotta be out and get a little buzzy before playing music, but don't have a whole lot give in my calories. You can find a beer while you're waiting to order or standing in the beer aisle, Google xxxx beer calories, and you can almost always find them. I don't believe in those bull**** light beers. I'm drinking it, it needs to taste good.

Like others said, if your goal is to lose weight, get a calorie tracker. Find what you should be net consuming in a day to lose weight, and first just start tracking the beers you drink (and food you eat) normally. Then modify that so you stay at your goals. I basically don't drink on weeknights anymore, and if I do, it's one drink. I save it for weekends so I don't blow my calories away. It's simple calories in and calories out - you can have as many beers as you want as long as calories in is less than calories out.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.