Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso w/Sodium Citrate

199,354 Views | 658 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ToddyHill
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally made it with water, jack cheese, diced red onion, thinly sliced japs, diced tomatoes and a little bit of cilantro. Best queso I've ever had.
La Fours
AG
where did you get the sodium citrate?
Sooner Born
Amazon
Van Buren Boy
AG
Modernist pantry
TRSAggie01
AG
Care to share the recepie?
Sooner Born
8oz block of Monterrey Jack grated in large grate setting
1 cup of water...(amended to 3/4 cup)
1 1/4 tsp sodium citrate
2 plum tomatos diced
1/4 of medium red onion diced
1 large jalapeño sliced thinly (jalapeño rings)
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro

Combine the water and sodium citrate and stir until dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil then slowly add cheese a small handful at a time while stirring with a whisk while keeping a steady simmer going. Once I had all the cheese added, I let it get boiling again while stirring and that seemed to help bring it all together. Once I took it off the heat, I added of the other ingredients. It was truly incredible.

Edit: I thought it was going to be too runny but it thickened up perfectly once I had it off the heat for a few minutes.

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 9/29/2013 9:13p).]

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 10/21/2013 12:52p).]
La Fours
AG
Awesome. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Hodor
AG
Have to try this.
Sadly, my copy of Modernist @ Home mainly gathers dust. Need to delve into it more.
Sooner Born
Just had the rest of it. Keeps pretty well too.
Djbutter
What does the sodium citrate do for the queso? Keep a better consistency ?
HTownAg98
Keeps the cheese from separating.
Djbutter
Thanks H-Town !
Gator2_01
AG
Swap your favorite beer for that water! YWIA.
Texker
AG
Ordered some off Amazon and it should be here today. Looking forward to trying this.
coppag92
AG
This sounds interesting and worth a shot to try. I would ask, would it be any better mixing with other cheeses?

Here is link to short video on Modernist Pantry Van Buren mentioned that explains the sodium citrate process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLgLi5ZJOY&feature=player_embedded
Gator2_01
AG
One of the great things about sodium citrate is that it allows you to make a cheese sauce out of cheeses like feta and sharp cheddar that aren't known for melty goodness.

[This message has been edited by Gator2_01 (edited 10/9/2013 5:17p).]
Sooner Born
I tried it with beer (a pale ale) and it was ok. Maybe need another beer to pair with the cheese?
ORAggieFan
I think a pale ale would be good. I also think a stout or a porter would be good with the right cheese.
FIDO*98*
AG
I only use hoppy beers for steaming clams. Everything else I prefer something malty or neutral including American Pilsners.

I don't see any purpose in adding beer to queso. You people have watched too many idiotic celebrity chefs say water doesn't add any flavor. Guess what? That's a fühking good thing sometimes. Like when you are making queso and want to taste all the other flavorful ingredients.
Sooner Born
That's kind of my thought, Fido. It was so good with just the six or so ingredients, I'm not sure it really needs anything else.

I'll probably try something with a porter at some point but I think I really like the recipe as is for now.
Sooner Born
That's kind of my thought, Fido. It was so good with just the six or so ingredients, I'm not sure it really needs anything else.

I'll probably try something with a porter at some point but I think I really like the recipe as is for now.
ORAggieFan
Beer and cheese is a pretty common pairing. I've had beer cheese soup and beer cheese fondue and been very good.

But, I love good beer. My favorite thing to drink, with or without alcohol.
FIDO*98*
AG
^
And that's why my post was specific to 'queso' referring to the Tex-Mex restaurant style appetizer served with chips.

ORAggieFan
quote:
^
And that's why my post was specific to 'queso' referring to the Tex-Mex restaurant style appetizer served with chips.

My bad. I'd agree there. I was talking kore in general like Mac and cheese or fondue.
Sooner Born
Yeah, I've had beer cheese before and it was pretty good. Like Fido said, it's just not on the queso spectrum.

I do think some home baked pretzels along with some beer cheese would be pretty damn good.
Gator2_01
AG
Currently, my queso is simply beer, cheese, and sodium citrate.

I agree that if you're adding a bunch of other ingredients water is a fine base. I should have been more specific in my earlier post.
jh0400
AG
Is there anywhere in Houston that sells sodium citrate? I'm making mac and cheese tomorrow, and I'd like to give this a whirl in lieu of making Bechamel and adding cheese.
BSD
AG
I have no clue but you can have mine and order me some more if you are out this way.
jh0400
AG
I don't need it that bad, but thanks for the offer.
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
I made my first batch last night with 4 oz of monterey jack and 4 oz of colby-jack, diced tomato, onion and jalepeno. It was MAGICAL. Never again will I buy Velveeta or Easy-Melt.

I think next time I'll sautee the onion and jalepeno before adding.

My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart

[This message has been edited by C.C. Bay Ag (edited 10/12/2013 8:17a).]
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Add one more to the list of believers. I can't imagine making it any other way now.
NoneGiven
AG
Yup. I am sold on this method.
Now to expand it to Mac & Cheese. Then cheese slices for burgers.
Sooner Born
slices for burgers?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Yup. I am sold on this method.
Now to expand it to Mac & Cheese.

Tried Mac & Cheese with my second attempt. Rave reviews. Better than the queso.
Gator2_01
AG
quote:
slices for burgers?

Make the sauce then pour it onto a baking sheet covered in wax paper and put it into the fridge. Once it chills you can slice it up to use on grilled cheese and burgers. This allows you to make cheddar/Swiss slices or melty feta slices.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.