Dallas country clubs

151,746 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TecRecAg
560ti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WestTxWood88 said:

What's the latest on Canyon Creek? Been looking at the Richardson are but know nothing on this course / club. Was in the area recently and see some course construction going on… wondering if the locals can give me some of their experience at CC. TIA
The course struggled for most of the 2010s. For most of the decade Course 1 at Sherill Park which is close by was nicer. It was also the only country club I've ever been too that did not have a fitness facility. The practice area is a joke as well.

It's mostly known for the family social events and pool. They started in February tearing up the course for a full re-do and are adding a fitness center. I was last told completion for both is around Thanksgiving time.

As the person above me said they are jacking up initiation and monthly dues as a result. The capacity of the club is already very high so if anything it might just prevent new people from signing up to keep the numbers around where they are at.
bagger05
AG
clobby said:

Got a call from Brookhaven after a targeted instagram ad, sounds like they are looking for members and have no wait list. Are they taking everyone right now? Seems like a lot of the other clubs around still have multi year waiting lists. Anyone have recent experience with this club?
They have a lot of members. There are pros and cons that come with that. Very social, lots of events, always lively in the bar and the restaurant. And because it's a lower priced club, people there don't seem to take themselves too seriously. The atmosphere is very fun.

The downside is that it can be crowded. You might have to wait on a spot at the driving range and you have to plan ahead to get a good tee time. Last time I asked my friend about it he said there was some sort of process to decide who gets the good tee times. I don't remember if it was a lottery or what.

They have three courses which is nice. They're all fine. I don't think any of the layouts are very memorable (in a good or bad way). Conditions are about on par with Dallas munis. Good but not immaculate. Some rough spots now and then.

I'd sum it up by saying that everything about it is in line with what I'd expect. It's a private club but it's a good bargain. So that's the type of folks who are members and that's the type of golf you get.
DadAG10
560ti said:

WestTxWood88 said:

What's the latest on Canyon Creek? Been looking at the Richardson are but know nothing on this course / club. Was in the area recently and see some course construction going on… wondering if the locals can give me some of their experience at CC. TIA
The course struggled for most of the 2010s. For most of the decade Course 1 at Sherill Park which is close by was nicer. It was also the only country club I've ever been too that did not have a fitness facility. The practice area is a joke as well.

It's mostly known for the family social events and pool. They started in February tearing up the course for a full re-do and are adding a fitness center. I was last told completion for both is around Thanksgiving time.

As the person above me said they are jacking up initiation and monthly dues as a result. The capacity of the club is already very high so if anything it might just prevent new people from signing up to keep the numbers around where they are at.
I'm convinced that you lost a few Nassau's out there.

Member since 2010, and really didn't realize I was at a struggling course.

They started the redo in December. Fitness center will be included. Range and practice has been upgraded (may open range in Sept). And yes, if you make improvements it's going to cost more.
560ti
DadAG10 said:

I'm convinced that you lost a few Nassau's out there.

Member since 2010, and really didn't realize I was at a struggling course.
I've lived my whole life in Richardson and if anything should be biased towards Canyon Creek. The original personal asked for experiences at Canyon Creek and I gave them. It's a typical lowend clubcorp course that's historically been known for the social programs more so than Golf.

As for the 2nd sentence yes, it's reputation and conditions have been towards the bottom of the DFW country club hierarchy. Not trying to sound snarky but this is the same club that literally spent the middle portion of the decade selling rounds of golf on Groupon......
Old Tom Morris
A friend that was a member there for years and gave it up 3-4 years ago would echo your comments. And this dude is no slouch. Played d1 golf, multiple time winner of the city championship, etc. It's a value club relative to other Dallas CCs and that's fine. There's a place for those. He just saw the value continue to slide. Covid has propped up a lot of clubs, so hopefully this reno will be successful
DadAG10
Well put post. As you point out, everything has a value and each person will get to determine their own. Doesn't make sense to compare a club with low initiation and $600 a month dues with one that has 5 figure initiation and $1,000+ a month dues.

I would imagine most D1 players would not like CC due to it's length. Probably would prefer a 7,000+ track.

Redo will gain some of that length.

In the last decade, they did have a bad year drought with bad irrigaiton. Irrigation is being fixed with the redo. Super has been working his a** off over the last few years and doing a great job.

Greens have always been in great shape.

Old Tom Morris
Nothing he posted was inaccurate though and that Nassau crack was totally unnecessary.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I played Brookhaven in May and it was in terrible shape. I play better munis on a weekly basis.
bagger05
AG
That's a bummer. I've never seen it pristine but it's always been okay.
texassippian
Curious if Canyon Creek or Royal Oaks have reopened and what the consensus is on the updates to the courses?
Mr. Frodo
AG
ROCC opened back up in October. All good! It was a major renovation: new irrigation, new turf, new green turf, minor renovations to several holes and major rework on 16 … a long par 3 that's now a wedge par 3 with a tough green. New Tahoma turf grass seems like it's gonna be nice … more cushion. Added a lot of length to tip tees that matters not to me. Got rid of bunkers that get washed out most frequently to simplify clean up. Added some humps and bumps between 6 and 7, an area i frequent, so personally not a fan of that. And, added more of the same along left side of 14. I don't play up that side so shouldn't be a big deal for me. Personally they seem a little much on 14 to my eye but will keep people honest on the shape of the hole. 16 has a large green with 3 target areas and severe slopes on green and surround. Lots of shots gonna be lost around the green there. Like the short shot but tbd on of the green severity imo. Greens all covered now. Fingers crossed on this cold weather.
560ti
texassippian said:

Curious if Canyon Creek or Royal Oaks have reopened and what the consensus is on the updates to the courses?
Canyon creek re-opened I think right before Thanksgiving. Everything was mostly dormant by then so will have a much better view in the Spring. It was I believe 8 million dollars spent on the golf course and then 4 million updating the clubhouse. Golf course got completely gutted. The big thing it needed was a better irrigation system and more length. Currently they are working inside on dining and then pro shop + adding a fitness center.

The big issue with Canyon Creek is its overall just kind of boring/bland to play. Not trying to knock it but reality is they could of make the conditions on par with a place like Northwood or Brook Hollow and it still wouldn't of changed the fact that it's not a very interesting course to play especially a home course that you play all the time. I know of a handful of people who live in that neighborhood that just play a few times a year as a guest and then just rotate around the handful of public courses that are all within 15 minutes of the neighborhood and majority of which more fun to play (Watters Creek, Firewheel, Sherrill Park, Pecan Hollow).
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Has anyone looked into the new 1876 Club up in Celina?
oldag941
AG
Not sure the details on reciprocity between clubs. I know we are at DAC and live blocks from ROCC. Club amenities carry reciprocity. In fact, one or two of the bar tenders work both clubs throughout the week. Beyond that, not sure the details.
GeorgeBailey
AG
oldag941 said:

Not sure the details on reciprocity between clubs. I know we are at DAC and live blocks from ROCC. Club amenities carry reciprocity. In fact, one or two of the bar tenders work both clubs throughout the week. Beyond that, not sure the details.
Two bartenders working at two different clubs has zero correlation to reciprocity. That is a case of bartenders having two different employers.

Those two clubs probably had agreed upon reciprocity during course renovations/closures. That is a common courtesy among good neighbor clubs.
Dilly Dilly
AG
Founders membership is $50k now, $800 dues starting when the course opens (Nov '24), break ground on the clubhouse summer '25, once clubhouse opens, they pay you back $5k a year for five years.
Or you join when you want (i.e. when course opens) with a $35k initiation fee, $800 a month.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Yea. Sandy emailed me all of that. Little strep for something not yet done in Celina
oldag941
AG
Yes, I know the bartenders doesn't represent reciprocity. I just threw that in as an example of the closeness (perhaps in distance) of the clubs. And a factoid. Geez.
oldag941
AG
And ROCC has agreed in the past to reciprocity with Dallas muni, Stevens Park in Kessler Park. Not sure the duration but that happened for a year or so when ROCC had so much wind damage.
Stymied
AG
Historically, there has been a fair amount of reciprocity between the Dallas private clubs. That usually comes into play when one club is doing course renovations and asks for access to other clubs for their members to use during the work.

It was pretty prevalent 5, 10, 15 years ago but from I've been told the reciprocity has really tightened up. All of the clubs have waiting lists at the moment and there isn't a desire to share courses. There is also a little bit of bad blood as some clubs that did course work say 5 years ago are not returning the favor when others are doing course work now.

Not surprising as the local club scene has become pretty competitive given the demand and everything is a bit of a pissing contest.
FTAco07
AG
Agree with the above, there isn't really reciprocity anymore outside of one or two clubs with unique circumstances. I know DCC had a few tee times for members at a few other courses when they were closed. That's not to say one club's pro can't call another and get a group on because that happens all the time but not what I would call reciprocity.

At one point last year DCC, ROCC, and DAC were all closed (or one course closed) for renovation at the same time.
Pignorant
AG
Dallas National about shut down for 18 months for renovations.

Lakewood reno possibly starting in 2025.
560ti
Pignorant said:

Dallas National about shut down for 18 months for renovations.

Lakewood reno possibly starting in 2025.
Dallas National already renovated the clubhouse so 18 months sounds really long for the golf course. Wonder if they are hoping for a PGA championship bid ?

Not surprised on Lakewood, they're as far as I know the only Dallas equity country club that hasn't done any major golf or clubhouse renovations since 2017. Northwood, ROCC, Brook Hollow, and DCC have all gutted the golf course in that span and Bent Tree did a massive clubhouse renovation. Not to knock Lakewood but they could easily do both golf and clubhouse they're both below average in today's competitive landscape.
bblake06
AG
Uh oh...the Lakewood bat signal has been sent up. Can't wait for the commentary from a certain poster. Popcorn is ready.

Albeit small, Lakewood has a very cool piece of property. Lots of topography and it doesn't wind through a neighborhood. The current golf course is good, but nothing special. Will be an interesting follow.
Stymied
AG
It will be interesting to see the redo. From what I've heard, there are some that are gearing up to spend a ton of money! The concept of putting a good chunk of their surface parking underground and below an enlarged range sounds interesting but that must cost a fortune.
MAROON
AG
Houston CC did that a few years back
560ti
bblake06 said:

Uh oh...the Lakewood bat signal has been sent up. Can't wait for the commentary from a certain poster. Popcorn is ready.

Albeit small, Lakewood has a very cool piece of property. Lots of topography and it doesn't wind through a neighborhood. The current golf course is good, but nothing special. Will be an interesting follow.
Agreed. Love the Lakewood location and how it's smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood but still very private with no winding through the neighborhood or houses on the course. Great combination of established community heavy neighborhood feel but not feeling suffocated.
texassippian
Tenison Highlands is a better course than Lakewood. Tenison might have a better driving range too.
dc509
dc509
AG
texassippian said:

Tenison Highlands is a better course than Lakewood. Tenison might have a better driving range too.
Ha, that's quite the take. Having played both plenty of times, I would have to disagree. Strongly. The Highlands is a nice course, but that statement is a little much.
clobby
AG
I have to drive by Lakewood every time I go to Tennison. It looks nice.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Who wants to host 8 dudes for a bachelor party? My cousin right now has us set up to play at Keeton and it's like wtf.

Thought I'd check here.

I may try and sway them towards the Bridges in Gunter but not hopeful on them wanting to drive way up north from down town
ChoppinDs40
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Who wants to host 8 dudes for a bachelor party? My cousin right now has us set up to play at Keeton and it's like wtf.

Thought I'd check here.

I may try and sway them towards the Bridges in Gunter but not hopeful on them wanting to drive way up north from down town

8 dudes? Hit up Cowboys or Texas Star

If you do Bridges, you're only about 30 minutes to Choctaw!
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Trust me I've tried. But we have the Stars game that same night on the 3rd. So that's another reason they don't want to get too far out
ChoppinDs40
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Trust me I've tried. But we have the Stars game that same night on the 3rd. So that's another reason they don't want to get too far out

Cowboys it is, I think. 25 minutes to the AAC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.