Range Finders vs GPS based gadgets?

5,419 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Maroon97
Swollen Thumb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get one or the other. Leaning towards one of the GPS based products, but was curious to get some opinions / suggestions.

The range finders seem to be more of a pain, but perhaps are more accurate? GPS would just seem easier to refer to during a round.

Any thoughts from experience would be appreciated.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
GPS users will probably correct me; but, the only advantages I see to the GPS are cost and distance data when line of sight isn't available.

I don't know how I managed without my range finder.
07fta07
AG
I don't see a need for gps. I use my rangefinder constantly and can shoot anything I need a distance to.
gravy97
AG
and sometimes you can shoot the distance from something you don't even need to know... just b/c you can and LASERS
ORAggieFan
As someone with GPS, I'd rather have laser.
Matsui
AG
Have a gps. Rather would have a laser.
jschroeder
Laser.

If you want to save some cash, the slope if pretty overrated unless you can control 145 vs 148.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'll be the lone dissenter. 1) I really like my front/back distances from gps 2) i like a yardage device that I rarely even have to handle at all 3) when in the mood, i like using "mark ball" to measure my distances.
Unemployed
AG
I use a GPS device. Just easier to use. Plus, I'm not good enough to need to know exact distances.
AggieT
AG
If only one, get a range finder. If two, range finder and Golfshot Plus app.
2DollarYo
AG
First off. You can't use GPS to tell you exactly how far a deer is at your ranch when hunting.

Laser is just faster. after a few tries you just shoot the pin the front of the green and maybe a bunker or trouble and it's over. It becomes natural and I just think it's better.

I have the Bushnell TourX. I splurged on it but it has been well worth it.
2DollarYo
AG
Plus you could just get a GPS app on your phone. It's somewhere around $30
Ag_07
AG
I'm partial to my Garmin watch. Gives me accurate front, middle, back, distance to doglegs, and layups.

Best part it it's all on my wrist. No need to pull anything out and shoot. Just a quick glance at my watch and I'm good to go.
agracer
AG
Been using swing by swing FREE ap on my phone and so far it's been very close whenever I play with someone with a laser. The paid ap has green distances in lieu of guessing front to back based on pin location.
Brenner
AG
I used to have a laser, then traded a guy for a gps watch. It also has an option that gives distances to a couple hazards/landing areas at a time. Whoever said lasers are faster is completely wrong.

No ragrets
HouAggie
AG
My unscientific observations over time have led me to the conclusion that better players prefer laser and hackers prefer GPS.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Looking to get one or the other. Leaning towards one of the GPS based products, but was curious to get some opinions / suggestions.

The range finders seem to be more of a pain, but perhaps are more accurate? GPS would just seem easier to refer to during a round.

Any thoughts from experience would be appreciated.
It's really about preference.

I have the Garmin S3 and I have a Pebble Time that connects to my phone and uses any number of golf apps. I use one or the other every time I play.

With the S3, I get front, middle, and back distances. I can move the pin to any location on the green to change the reading. I can get yardage to layups. I can also keep my score with it. It tells time and tracks distance walked.

I use my Pebble Time with the Golf Pad app and Golf Tags more now. I get front, middle, and back on my watch or phone. I can view aerial maps with layups, hazards, and elevation on my phone if I so choose. With the golf tags, I just tap the grip against my phone (in my pocket) and it tracks which club I am hitting, the distance of each shot, and keeps score. I can adjust the score from my watch or phone if need be. After a few rounds of using the app with club tracking, it knows your average distances on the clubs that you've hit, and it recommends which club to use for each shot. Granted I don't really need this function, but it's neat. After each round, it emails your scorecard to you and you can use the phone app to edit scores, view statistics (putts, GIR, fairways hit, bunkers, penalties, distances, etc).

My playing partner (next-door neighbor) uses a rangefinder with slope. It's obviously a little more accurate than using front, middle, and back distances. It's also nice to be able to pull it out and shoot a distance on a tree or hazard from anywhere.

I prefer the ease of the GPS watch, and I don't find all that much value in knowing the exact distance to the pin vs having front, middle, and back of the green. I also sometimes have difficulty shooting the pin. I tend to shake too much. Luckily for me, I have both on most days.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I'll be the lone dissenter. 1) I really like my front/back distances from gps 2) i like a yardage device that I rarely even have to handle at all 3) when in the mood, i like using "mark ball" to measure my distances.
I couldn't settle on how to say it, but this is also a big one for me.

If you can swing it, it's nice to have both.
Ag_07
AG
I forgot about the score keeping feature on the watch. You can keep score easily and then upload them to the software on the computer and it stores all your rounds with what was scored on each hole. It's nice to able to look back, but the main draw is score keeping during the round.

I really like the watch but I do sometimes wish I had a laser when hitting on the range. I've found most ranges don't have accurate yardages (or they don't change when the hitting area moves) and I often times want to know how far I'm hitting shots when working on swing changes.

I haven't justified a laser purchase just for range work so for now it's just the Garmin watch.
07fta07
AG
I never use my rangefinder on the range. Range balls are so hit or miss, it often gives you bad info if you're paying attention to actual distances.
AustinCountyAg
quote:
I never use my rangefinder on the range. Range balls are so hit or miss, it often gives you bad info if you're paying attention to actual distances.
thats why you are supposed to use new prov1's when hitting on the range
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
thats why you are supposed to use new prov1's when hitting on the range
Whenever the pro I took lessons from wanted real numbers he'd pull out prov1 range balls.
bagger05
AG
I have the GolfShot app and it used to be great but it has been super-buggy and more difficult to use since their last update.

One of the main reasons I wish I had a laser would be for knowing when it was clear for me to tee off. I hate holding people up but when I can't tell if someone is 230 or 300 yards away I will choose to wait because I'm nervous about hitting them.
ORAggieFan
Slightly related but will post here. I use one of the mobile apps like many here. Playing a tourney last month the rule was no cell phone golf apps. Any idea why that is different than a GPS watch? If I had a Pebble running the app would that be different? Is the pro just mis-interpreting a rule?

Played with my dad who has a laser, so not a big deal. Just found strange.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
My unscientific observations over time have led me to the conclusion that better players prefer laser and hackers prefer GPS.

I would disgree with this if we're talking about people that actually purchased a golf GPS device. If someone has purchased a quality device -laser or GPS, that is someone with the game and willingness to make an investment. That's typically going to be a better player, and I can't say I've noticed any differences between these types on the whole.

Now if we are comparing laser device owners to the poplulation that just downloaded a gps app on a phone, then sure, I'd say there is a difference on the whole. But that is also comparing a more serious population to one that will include quite a number that aren't as committed.
Goose
AG
I use the Swing by Swing app on my phone because:

a) it's free, and
b) I'm not anywhere near skilled enough a golfer to require data more accurate than the App gives me.

It's pretty ****ing embarrassing to spend a bunch of time determining that I'm exactly 62 yards to clear the front bunker, 73 yards to the pin, and 77 yards to the back....and then proceed to scull the living **** out of it into the group ahead of us who are teeing off on the next hole. Not that that's ever actually happened or anything, but, you know...I guess it could...Whatever.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Great insight here. Really appreciate the feedback!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Depends on your game.

Guys I play with have a rangefinder and I have a bushnell watch. They frequently ask me what I've got because it's as simple as turning my wrist over.

If you have the option, get both. Some days I really wish I had the laser when i'm 75 yards from the center on a 30 yard wide/deep green.

With that said, I love the GPS watch. Took awhile getting used to swing with it on. I do have an issue with my hand pressing buttons on the side when I swing though.
CapCityAg89
AG
I had GPS. When it quit holding a charge, I switched to laser. I prefer laser, but it's likely a personal preference.

Related question: have current GPS devices gotten away from having to download the course beforehand? That was the biggest reason I changed.
ChoppinDs40
AG
quote:
I had GPS. When it quit holding a charge, I switched to laser. I prefer laser, but it's likely a personal preference.

Related question: have current GPS devices gotten away from having to download the course beforehand? That was the biggest reason I changed.
most come with 30k+ courses pre-loaded. Press play golf, give it about 2 minutes to locate you and voila.
CapCityAg89
AG
Agh. Cheap memory. Times have changed. Mine held roughly 30 courses so I had to manage what was saved on it.
Yesterday
AG
quote:

I would suggest finding a different range with at least decent range balls then. You're telling me the only time you pay attention to distances is during play? Do you just hit at random targets and then guess out on the course?

One of the biggest advantages of a laser is the ability to use it on the range. Being able to consistently hit wedge shots to yardages I prefer is a great practice tool.

If I'm playing with someone who has GPS I will get asked to shoot a target numerous times during the round. The only time I ask them for a distance is if I can't see the hole. If you're soley looking for distance measurement then there's only one choice and that's a laser.
07fta07
AG
I know my club distances. I use the range to get loose and see what my ball flight is doing that day. The Nike practice range balls don't perform like my ProV, so I don't pay attention to distances on the range. I just hit toward targets.
cmac94
AG
I've played with a GPS device for several years and just bought a rangefinder this year. I have been way more accurate on the greens and had more birdies since buying the range finder. I still like the GPS if I'm playing a new course. I find it helpful to understand the lay out and navigate a new course. Love the range finder for flag hunting. It's been a game changer for me.

Good luck!
antman8504
AG
My 2 cents. Had a laser rangefinder for 2 years and loved it. It is acurate and the battery lasts forever before you need to replace so you can just leave it your bag round after round. But I finally "lost" it. So you have to keep up with it and have get it out for every shot. This is a big disadvantage for me because I am so forgetful.

When replacing my rangefinder I decided to go with a Bushnell neo xs watch. Really love it. Big advantage is it is right there on your wrist so you will never lose it and it is so convenient. It also measures your shot distance which is a neat feature.

I was pretty pro laser. I still would never use a hand held gps either and I hate getting my phone out while playing golf. I never thought I would get a golf watch but they are just so convenient. I don't even notice it on honestly. So for me its watch or laser, just depends on your needs.

Watch
1. Convenient on the course. Always there. Don't have to go back to your bag after finding your ball. Faster play
2. Good for blind shots
3. You won't lose it. Lol
4. Sometimes it's good to know front back and center of the green vs just pin location.

rangefinder
1. Exact distance to the flag.
2. Does not need to be charged or updated.
3. Love it for exact carry distance.
4. Good to get distance while practicing
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.