Personal Lists of Golf Aholes

7,722 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Corporal Punishment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anyone remember Jim Colbert? He would do this hand gesture after making a putt- very Shooter McGavern-like, and he wore one of those big floppy hats.

Wore his collar up IIRC. Dude seemed like a tool for sure. Nice call.
2ndGen87
AG
quote:
Bubba
Tom Watson
Jeff Maggert
Webb Simpson
Johnny Miller
Lanny Wadkins
Azinger
Why Jeff Maggert?
SW AG80
AG
I have 2 good friends who played in the pro-am of 2 different PGA tournaments. My 2 friends do not know each other. Coincidentally, they both were paired with Rory Sabbatini. They both said Rory was such an a-hole that they would never spend the money to play in a pro-am again. One of these friends had played in several pro-ams and has plenty of $$ to play in lots more. But after playing with Sabbatini he said never again.

As a side note, he played with Chad Campbell once and they have become great friends.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Azinger

While at the Nelson one year (probably 2005 or 2006) I watched him airmail #6 green during the second round, which is stupid considering the hole...anyway. It bounces and hits an old guy - nothing to hurt him for sure. Ball comes to rest on this guys rain jacket which was laying on the ground underneath his little fold out stool. So the marshal comes over and just tells the dude to remain seated until they figure out what all needs to happen.

Azinger comes up - totally irritated at himself #1. #2 as they are finally going to have to drop the ball, etc. the old guys starts to stand up and is clearly old and moving slow...Azinger has his hands on his hips standing right near the guy and doesn't move to help him up at least and #3 has the nerve to say as this guy is trying to stand up.."well, get up!" in a total a-hole impatient tone.

I felt for the old guy. Azinger dropped the ball and within about 5 seconds chipped onto the green and walked away. Never said a word to the guy.

I am sure as a touring pro - having to deal with people in situations where you are fuming has got to be miserable. It would drive me nuts to have to play in front of people and listen to all the comments and banter that they have probably heard a million times. It would take me awhile to learn to tune that out. But Azinger should have at least been professional.
jonj101
quote:
Ooh, that reminds me: Chesson Hadley's ridiculous finger snap has got to go.
I actually enjoy that - its basically a personalized fist pump.

Chesson was also one of chillest pros that I encountered at the SHO last year. He and Charlie Beljan were two that actually chatted a bit as they finished at #9. The vast majority just walk right past you to complete their round. A few would seem to mumble a canned line something like "thank you for your service" (Im guessing its canned because they said it exactly the same), and even fewer would give you a handshake.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Hadley pranks Bubba

This actually made me a Hadley fan. This was during the Player's earlier this year.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Azinger

While at the Nelson one year (probably 2005 or 2006) I watched him airmail #6 green during the second round, which is stupid considering the hole...anyway. It bounces and hits an old guy - nothing to hurt him for sure. Ball comes to rest on this guys rain jacket which was laying on the ground underneath his little fold out stool. So the marshal comes over and just tells the dude to remain seated until they figure out what all needs to happen.

Azinger comes up - totally irritated at himself #1. #2 as they are finally going to have to drop the ball, etc. the old guys starts to stand up and is clearly old and moving slow...Azinger has his hands on his hips standing right near the guy and doesn't move to help him up at least and #3 has the nerve to say as this guy is trying to stand up.."well, get up!" in a total a-hole impatient tone.

I felt for the old guy. Azinger dropped the ball and within about 5 seconds chipped onto the green and walked away. Never said a word to the guy.

I am sure as a touring pro - having to deal with people in situations where you are fuming has got to be miserable. It would drive me nuts to have to play in front of people and listen to all the comments and banter that they have probably heard a million times. It would take me awhile to learn to tune that out. But Azinger should have at least been professional.
Maybe not the thread for this story, but I'm gonna tell here anyway because it just highlights the differences in attitudes that some of these pros have.

I know the guy that works for the Houston Golf Association that is in charge of all of the stuff that goes on the course for the tournament that isn't usually there - ropes/stakes, signage, water coolers, etc. all comes out of the warehouse and onto the course coordinated by this guy.

As a high school kid through early college, he hooked me up with a cash paying job - in the weeks before the tournament, I'd paint, haul, clean, set up, etc.

During the the tournament week, we'd drive the course in a cart with a trailer attached and pick up trash from the cans and haul to the dumpster. It's was $5/hr in the early/mid 90's and I wasn't above picking up some trash for cold hard cash.

So, it's the Saturday round and we are making the rounds and we are trading out the white cardboard trashcans scattered throughout the course for green ones (they don't show up on the tv broadcast).

We're cruising along on hole 13 (Par 5 island green on the old TPC Course in The Woodlands). I'm driving the cart/trailer and got two guys in the trailer swapping out these trash cans. We are supposed to be well off the cart path and no where near the course, but who am I to listen and our method is quite a bit quicker, so we are weaving around to each receptacle. We are just off the cart path when I look back and see a ball coming straight at us - I do some quick trajectory calcs and realize the balls likely gonna hit by guys in the trailer in the head, so I hit the gas and lurch us forward.

The ball lands in our trailer, but none of us can see it exactly. I freak out and start to drive off when a Marshall yells at me to stop, so there we are waiting on the pro to arrive. The Marshall tells the pro that the ball is "somewhere in there".

I really wish I could remember who the pro was, but he wasn't a star by any means, but he's got a good attitude. He looks at me and says "why didn't you keep driving, I gotta find my ball in here and drop it....would have been better if you'd kept moving and we'd do this up by the green". Everyone has a good laugh at my expense right there, except me.

So we have to empty this trailer full of trash in search of a golf ball so this no-name pro can make a bogey 6 from the trees left of the fairway.

Word made it back via the tour officials to my bosses before I did and I got quite the ass chewing and laugh at what had happened.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Ezra
TresPuertas
AG
Azinger is a dick. I'll give you that, but watching golf as much as I do and seeing the behavior of the galleries get worse by the year, I can kind of understand the cynicism.

All the ba ba booey nonsense, camera phones, talking, etc would probably give me a lot of bad attitudes toward the golf fans.
fordag4
AG
Mark Brooks is a cool cat once you get to know em. Very dry humor, not very personable if you dont really know em.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
colin montgomerie - may not be a bigger ***** in the history of pro sports.

He is the greatest at blaming something other than himself for a crappy shot. I reveled in his misery when he choked.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Anybody that wears a colored glove!
mt3950
AG
Bubba is a grade A ***** bag. I hate watching Furyk play, but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

Worst of all was the Fox broadcast of the U.S. Open. Amazingly terrible.
oneeyedag
Greg Norman. My Aunt worked in the office for 40 years at Colonial CC. She would always get me tickets and autographs. However, she approached Norman on Wednesday with a flag adorned with Pros autographs, most of which new her. Norman proceeded to tell her he doesn't sign for the help.

This was when he was at his best, career wise.

Nicest I've met:

Hale Irwin and Ernie Els. Staying at hotel next to Colonial eating breakfast. Talking to Hale while he was eating breakfast. He actually started the conversation, about where we were from family, etc. spoke at length, signed my wife's hat and picked up the check. Out on the course, he actually went out of his way to ask how were doing.

Els is just as laid back as you see him on TV. Met him and his wife (girlfriend at the time) at same hotel.

Phil is good with the crowd, watched him shank it at the Byron and proceeded to joke with the crowd about how he gets paid to hit shots like that.
fordag4
AG
The nicest guy you'll ever meet is Boo Weekly. Im currently at his fundraiser in Florida. Good people, well, unless you wear Aggie gear and tell em we are kicking Bama ass this year!
TresPuertas
AG
Isn't Boo a Kentucky guy?
mongey donk
AG
Lol +1 for Allenby

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25249415/robert-allenbys-caddie-gives-his-side-of-story-hes-just-a-bully
Whoop04
"Middlemo is the fourth caddie to walk off during a round while working for Allenby"

Yikes
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
"Middlemo is the fourth caddie to walk off during a round while working for Allenby"

Yikes
rackmonster
AG
Going back in time a bit.....but

Hands down the biggest A Hole had to be JC Snead.........

I took my 9 year old son and his buddies to a US Senior Open....in the practice area, everybody was nice and engaging.....signing autographs.......everybody but JC.....he completely ignored all the kids.....and my kids were taught to be polite......

My wife finally yelled to my son....."forget it...you don't want that A**holes autugraph"

Nicklaus was great with the kids....Trevino was great......Hubby Green could not have been nicer?..

Who the hell is JC Snead????......guess being Sam's nephew give you a free ride to A holery....
fordag4
AG
Boo is from Milton Florida. His dad is that hardcore bama fan and guess it runs in the family. Hell I couldnt pee or walk anywhere without hearing roll tide over and over.
An Ag in CO
AG
Worst golfer I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with is Fred Couples. My uncle was a country club GM for a club with an annual PGA event and Fred Couples was the only who seemed to have nothing but disdain for everybody. Tiger Woods could be challenging, but he was usually pretty well-behaved and friendly during his interactions. Fred Couples, though, was on another level of ******* then any other golfers.
TexAgs Legend
So the base criteria for a golf a-hole is whiny (B. Watson), curmudgeonly (T. Watson), d*ouchey (numerous, but particularly Reed), has an overly inflated ego (FIGJAM), and generally sociopathic (Tiger and 90% of the PGA Tour). That's almost every poster on the TexAgs golf board.
Just an Ag
AG
Just based on what I see on tv, I pretty much like them all. I have no need to view them in any other light except as competitors on the golf course. I have a few favorites, but I see no villains. I love the sport, as a player and fan.
Goodfield Nohit
LeFraud
Tiger Woods
Goodfield Nohit
This is the guy who wears a painter's cap right?

Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
This is the guy who wears a painter's cap right?

Yep

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.