Beginner golfer - what golf balls do you guys hit?

5,667 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Gil Renard
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just started playing regularly back in April and was just curious what ball you guys prefer to hit and why. I have hit mostly Pro V1x but am not really sure how much difference a ball can make with a beginner swing like mine (I can't really shape my shots or anything just yet). The Pro V1x's are pretty cheap (relative to brand new) off lostgolfballs.com but if I can knock $10 off a purchase then I'm all for it. Thanks in advance.
mongey donk
AG
the V1x is for faster swing speed and focuses on less spin. My guess is the Pro V1 is better suited for your game right now if you insist on using a Pro V1 ball. Usually Pro V1 = better control and consistency, Pro V1x = more distance and less spin.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure it makes a difference for beginners but I always used to use a mid priced ball that just felt good. Usually ended up hitting DT So/Lo or Noodles. They just seem to feel really solid and that always gave me an extra bit of confidence.
LHIOB
AG
Play what you find.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good mid-priced ball like the Bridgestone E-series or Titleist NXT line. Will save about $20/dozen vs Pro V's.
TX_Aggie37
AG
quote:
Play what you find.
I've definitely been scavenging the trees and using balls I find there before anything else. Also occasionally keep a few range balls.
AggieT
AG
You steal range balls?
gougler08
AG
I play what I find and what I'm given on birthdays and Christmas...works just fine for me. I can't justify spending crazy money on a ball that will more than likely only last me a few holes
WHOOP!'91
AG
Nike PD. Long or Soft, whichever you prefer, were $10/dz at Academy last I checked.

Noodles are ~$1/ball, Easy Distance or Long & Soft.

Academy also had Pro V1x, 3 dz for $30 last I checked, so you might check that out too.

I like the Bridgestone e6, but they are more like $25/dz.

Or whatever I can scoop out of the water.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Scour places like Academy and Walmart for clearance sales. You can get extremely cheap golf balls there. I'm talking like $2.49 / dozen for bridgestone e6's. I don't even play those balls, but I but 6 dozen (every box on the shelf) for a friend that I know plays them. Got out of there with 72 brand new balls for under $20.

Also, lostgolfballs.com will get a surplus on certain balls and sell them cheap. If you search around the site for a few minutes you can find bargains.

Just my two cents: if you're shooting over 100, play whatever you can get your hands on. It's probably not worth wasting money on prov's, unless money is no object.
Quinn
AG
I shoot around 100 and play Callaway Super Soft + whatever I find on the course + whatever my dad gets at work scrambles and gives me.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Thanks for the replies. I generally shoot low 90s with my best round being an 85 and a few 89s mixed in. Hoping to get to where I can consistently shoot in the low 80s and crack the 70s on a good day. I appreciate the input!
Post removed:
by user
TX_Aggie37
AG
quote:
Anyone use Vice golf balls before? I have a dozen coming in this week, supposed to be comparable to Pro V without the price tag.
Post back and let me know how you like them. I've never even heard of them.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Did someone say Vice golf?

Brick Tamland
I go to stores like academy and buy the recycled balls
agracer
AG
quote:
Thanks for the replies. I generally shoot low 90s with my best round being an 85 and a few 89s mixed in. Hoping to get to where I can consistently shoot in the low 80s and crack the 70s on a good day. I appreciate the input!
Then I would find a brand/model you like and stick with it. You want to make things as consistent as possible when your starting to break 90.
ORAggieFan
Breaking 90 I think it's fine to play ProV1's. There are a lot of other options available for cheaper though. I'd find a ball you like and stick with it for a while. Consistency is nice. Srixon Z-Stars, Bridgestone (a few to choose), Callaway SuperSoft or ChromeSoft, various Titliests, lots of options.

What's your driver carry distance, swing speed, straightness, how do you like ball to react and feel around greens?
AggieIce
AG
quote:
the V1X is for faster swing speed and focuses on less spin. My guess is the Pro V1 is better suited for your game right now if you insist on using a Pro V1 ball. Usually Pro V1 = better control and consistency, Pro V1x = more distance and less spin.

Not true for iron/wedge play
TX_Aggie37
AG
quote:
Breaking 90 I think it's fine to play ProV1's. There are a lot of other options available for cheaper though. I'd find a ball you like and stick with it for a while. Consistency is nice. Srixon Z-Stars, Bridgestone (a few to choose), Callaway SuperSoft or ChromeSoft, various Titliests, lots of options.

What's your driver carry distance, swing speed, straightness, how do you like ball to react and feel around greens?
Most of the time I leave the driver in the bag because I can never hit it straight. I always slice it. So I hit my 3 wood off the tee for the most part, which I hit probably 250 (rough guess) if I can get it to go straight. No clue on exact swing speed number, but I would guess probably pretty fast as I am a bigger guy and former athlete. As far as reacting around the green, if I can just get the SOB on there I'm usually happy.
AggieC07
AG
Top Flite XL2000 Extra Spin?!
Post removed:
by user
CashinOut
AG
Not a beginner, but not really the best golfer. I play the Snake Eyes brand from GolfSmith...$15/dzn can't really beat that. Good ball, soft distance and extreme distance
WHOOP!'91
AG
Meh, Nike PD or Crush for $10/dz at Academy...I will take that over the Snake Eyes for $15/dz.
investorAg83
AG
Most amateurs don't have a swing to truly compress the ProV's to the point it makes a difference. When you're beginning, there are literally over 100 things to work on before the type of ball will matter.
Aggie369
AG
Ball won't make much of a difference unless u swing consistently and even then its not much

Play what u find and as u get better just be more selective on what u keep.

I haven't bought golf balls in over 10 years and I'm about 5 HC....same goes for tees...just pick them up
jja79
AG
quote:
Not a beginner, but not really the best golfer. I play the Snake Eyes brand from GolfSmith...$15/dzn can't really beat that. Good ball, soft distance and extreme distance

Do you know who the manufacturer of Snake Eyes is? I'm sure it's someone we know, but rebranded.
dodger02
AG
Lostgolfballs.com was selling 10 dozen balls for <$75 this weekend. I almost bought 10 dozen TM Pentas for $69.

I'll only buy from them from now on.
CashinOut
AG
quote:
quote:

Do you know who the manufacturer of Snake Eyes is? I'm sure it's someone we know, but rebranded.
I've read somewhere that they were made in the same place TaylorMade balls are manufactured. Not sure to the truth of this. I just don't see (for the golfer I am) spending $48/dzn for Pro V1X when I can get 3dzn balls for the same price or cheaper when they run their 3 for $30 special on them
07fta07
AG
I wouldn't play anything more than about $25-30 a dozen until you can consistently not lose balls (unless you like throwing away money). There are plenty of very quality golf balls that are not Pro-V1s.
Houstonag
AG
Ball does not matter. Make sure it is round and as you improve your game go to what you like. For now buy cheap or get em free.
UTex09
Callaway supersoft for new players.
drewbie96
AG
Top Flite Gamer. I play the soft. Got a deal online for $35 for two dozen. For,those,that insist on playing pro v1s you should try the gamer. You'd be surprised. Top Flite is owned by Dicks, so you can only buy through dicks or golf Galaxy.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Here is the website http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/. I'll be using them this weekend and will post a review.

Well? I see they made the 2015 HOT LIST. What's the story on these
antman8504
AG
quote:
quote:
Play what you find.
I've definitely been scavenging the trees and using balls I find there before anything else. Also occasionally keep a few range balls.

I am not picky with golf balls but if you can't tell the difference between a range ball and ANY other ball, then you should definitely not waste money on prov1s. I would go with Bridgestone e6 from lost balls. Great ball that is made to help reduce spin/side spin
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.