Beginner golfer - what golf balls do you guys hit?

5,658 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Gil Renard
antman8504
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you ever see the e6 for 3 per dozen at walmart. Please report here.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
You steal range balls?
CTGilley
AG
I know this is against the rules but...

When I am having a bad day off the Tee sometimes I will play a shag ball from the tee then switch to a softer ball for an approach shot / putting.

Before everyone tears into me I never do this when there is money on the line but it keeps the cost of golf down and makes a poor performance more bearable while still getting consistent practice with my wedges and putter.

Now I rarely lose more than a ball around and play Pro V1s I picked up for 50 cents a piece on EBay. (Like New)
Pinata Man
Play with what you fine. If you buy, get pinnacles. Great cheap ball.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
maybe i am a snob but if its a match i only play new store bought prov1x's

im a 3 handicap and i dont want to run the risk of a stray recycled ball jumping or coming up short on me...
Quinn
AG
You're not a snob, you're just good at golf and most likely won't be losing multiple balls in one round.
jon gruden is intelligent
I said this in another ball thread - top flite gamers are solid balls. Ignore the fact that they make the XL's.
Gil Renard
AG
It's not the arrow it's the Indian
jj9000
AG
quote:
I said this in another ball thread - top flite gamers are solid balls. Ignore the fact that they make the XL's.
I agree with this 100%.

The new Gamer is almost the same as the old Gamer V2 (from several years ago).

I shot my low round of 2015 with a Gamer Soft.
bagger05
AG
quote:
It's not the arrow it's the Indian
The ball you play makes a difference. Once you get to a certain level, you need to know how your ball is going to react (especially around the greens). If you're 10 yards off the green and hitting a routine chip, a new ProV1 is going to behave differently than a Top Flite XL you found in the woods.

There's no reason you can't shoot great scores with a cheap ball. I don't think it's important to play an expensive ball. I think it's important to pick a ball and play it consistently so you can know what your ball is going to do around the greens.

Eventually you may get to a point where you have the ability to hit shots where a lower-spin ball just can't do what you're asking of it. Personally I don't have those shots in my bag, so I don't need to worry about that for a while. I will say that picking a ball and sticking with it has helped me around the greens. I play the Callaway SuperSoft which is like $20/dozen.
AustinCountyAg
I've become a fan of the Wilson Staff 50 Elite
oldschool87
AG
Round ones...
agsalaska
AG
On a side note, I was reading an article last night about how many balls pros go thru in a round. The average was about 5, but there was a ton of variation. Tiger was one that played the same ball longer than many. Davis Love was 5-7. Bernhard Langer was over a dozen. Ernie changes balls after every birdie. It sounded like it was as much about superstition as it was performance of the golf ball. A lot of pros actually had no idea. They just get whatever ball the caddie hands to them.

I hit the ball relatively hard coming thru my driver in the 108-110 range though I know a lot of guys hit it a lot harder. And I do not consistently notice a drop in performance in a golf ball. I have played the Pro V1x since the 2013 release and assuming I do not lose it or put it on the cart path or something I will get 18 out of it. That is not to say I have not had balls lose performance. On occasion I will have a ball that doesnt seem to want to go. But they are few and far between.

Of course, it helps having older wedges that do not chew up the golf ball as bad as they did 5 years ago.
birdman
I like Bridgestone golf balls.
Gil Renard
AG
Rock Flite
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.