****PGA - 2015 Season****

58,467 Views | 683 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bagger05
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Occasionally we get a weekly thread with lots of activity, occasionally nothing. How about a season long thread for discussions of the tournaments?

Reed looking good today trying to defend his WGC title at Doral.
Unemployed
AG
I'm starting to root for Reed - the anti-Jordan Speith in the media's eyes.

Despite all the negative press he has gotten after his top 5 comment, he has backed it up with his play. And you got the media and fans' darlings with Speith and Fowler who have two combined PGA wins.
redsquirrelAG
AG
I like he idea of this thread for all tournaments. Bubba looks determined this week. Love WGC events!
Big Cat `93
AG
Yeah, I'm definitely pro-Reed now. Out of media spite, I guess.

BTW, someone predicted good things for Koepka this year. He didn't expect it so soon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I do too. Good idea.
jmh3209
AG
What is the main way that you guys keep up with golf? Just recently have started to embrace golf fully and enjoy watching and being able to talk players, clubs, etc..
ORAggieFan
I have a TV in my office so turn on Golf Channel Thurs/Fri. Watch Golf Channel in evenings here and there. Occasionally hit GolfWRX.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Watch the Golf Channel.

Practice, but keep it fun. This is a social sport at heart.

If you have Twitter start following certain accounts (if you need suggestions let me know I can go see all of who I follow).

Read. Golf Digest is great, I subscribed to them for years. They do a free weekly newsletter on Wednesdays about news in the industry itself. GD Stix I believe it's called, cant remember.

To be honest, the most I've learned about the game, history, courses, traveling, instruction, and players, has all come from Golf Digest.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Love the Blue Monster
jmh3209
AG
Thanks for the advice! Sorry to derail the thread a bit but with the weather starting to get better and golf heating up I wanted to take advantage of some great advice
bagger05
AG
quote:
What is the main way that you guys keep up with golf? Just recently have started to embrace golf fully and enjoy watching and being able to talk players, clubs, etc..
Sound advice from Chipotle.

About this time of year, this board starts to get more active and is a good place to talk golf or seek advice. There aren't a ton of us on here, but I feel like we have a pretty good core group of people that regularly contribute. This group ranges across a pretty wide range of skill levels, from guys who shoot in the 100s to people who can break par.

Generally speaking people on this board are helpful and respectful; this isn't General, Politics, or M&W. People aren't usually total a##holes. I really hope you like it here and will be a regular poster. In a small community like this one, having one extra person who is a regular contributor can make a really big improvement.

For keeping up with tournaments, PGATour.com is really good. Easy to follow your favorite players and see their highlights.

If you like Tiger, follow @gctigertracker. When Tiger plays, this guy tweets out a play-by-play.

GolfWRX and TheSandTrap are popular discussion boards.
jmh3209
AG
Thanks for the welcoming.

C/O '13 Been up in Dallas for about a year now and weather permitting try to play 1 time a week with my parents in Prosper.

Look forward to following this board!
Unemployed
AG
MF'ing -10 for JB Holmes. Wow.
birdman
PGA has a fantastic website. I think it's the best of all the professional sports.

I think Golf Channel is great. 10pm they have show similar to Sportscenter. You can follow at the various tours and it's very well done.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Over the last two years I have gotten back into golf year round. Of course over the winter it's harder with weather but if you love watching golf as much as playing the schedule goes nearly year round. A buddy of mine and I also do fantasy golf to give us more incentive to keep up with every tournament. Try to practice at least once a week to stay fresh. I have a putting mat at home and soft balls to Chip inside off the carpet. A subscription to golf digest or any magazine is a good idea too, it's the only magazine I still get. I love the sport more and more every year, but don't take it too seriously, it takes the fun out! And try to make it to a PGA event if you haven't already, they are a blast and it is hard to describe how impressive it is to watch these guys live.
bagger05
AG
One of the things I like about Golf Channel is following the European Tour and especially the LPGA. Among the top tier of ladies on the LPGA right now there are some really fun players to watch.
ORAggieFan
LPGA is on my favorite course in a few weeks, Aviara.
Big Cat `93
AG
quote:
One of the things I like about Golf Channel is following the European Tour and especially the LPGA. Among the top tier of ladies on the LPGA right now there are some really fun players to watch.

Ditto on both accounts.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Spot on red. Going to PGA tournaments in person takes it to a whole new level of entertainment and appreciation.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Yep. And they are just FUN. Family friendly, lots of activities, great food and drink, you get exercise walking around, and it's such a personal experience gettin to see these guys up close. Three years ago at Valero Ernie gave me a fist bump after sticking a wedge out of the rough. And they aren't ridiculously priced either.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The price HAS to be the best part. Regular PGA tournament weekend tickets do nor cost an arm and a leg. The walking is great, and being within talking distance of a pro when they're hitting a shot is hard to describe.
jmh3209
AG
Just started to look for tickets for the events up here in Dallas, I'm seeing for the Byron Nelson on Championship Sunday $49 on Stubhub....is that what you usually pay for an event? And just get general admission and walk?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sounds bout right. Colonial tickets are easy to get, just go to their website.

The HP should have their own site too, see if they sell tickets there. Will be in that range.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Then you get to spend the whole damn day drinking, watching golf, looking out for fine AF WAGS, and being outside.
jmh3209
AG
quote:
Then you get to spend the whole damn day drinking, watching golf, looking out for fine AF WAGS, and being outside.
Count me in!!
redsquirrelAG
AG
Tons of eye candy. Totally forgot to mention that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
How did you forget!
ORAggieFan
Anyone see the stats on Holmes yesterday. Was first or second on near everything good (driving distance, putting, shots tee to green, etc). Insane day.

So, will he hold the lead after today?
jja79
AG
Valero Texas Open has some reasonably priced hospitality options. Went over to San Antonio with my 3 sons last year and it was fantastic. Headed over again in 3 weeks.
Bunk Moreland
The talent at Nelson is just ridiculous. Love watching the ladies try to walk those hills in their heels and dresses.

Golf tournaments are fun, and each one has its own personality. At the Nelson, I enjoy going with some friends, watching golf, drinking, watching drunks, and oogling at the hotties...but Valero has a much more friendly atmosphere IMO. Not nearly as many good looking ladies. The partying is much more tame, course more spread out, usually not as good a field, etc...but I feel like you can just walk up and talk golf to strangers there in a much more enjoyable way than the Nelson. Everyone at the Nelson is already talking about whoever the entertainment is that night or where they're going afterwards...or they are just sitting and gossiping right in the middle of play. Valero is BBQ atmosphere, Nelson is rager atmosphere.

Haven't been to SHO, but I heard it's a blast. Need to go to Colonial as well.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Colonial is awesome.
AgDotCom
Everyone should go to at least one Tour event in their life. Few other sporting events, if any, allow you to watch the action within a couple of feet of where you're standing. It's like having a sideline pass at an Aggie football game, it's a completely different world down there.

What impressed me most about my first tournament ('86 Houston Open) was 1) how ridiculously simple, smooth and effortless the pros' swings looked, and 2) how most of these guys weren't very big. Ben Crenshaw walked by me and looked like a midget, then crushes his drive obscenely. Standing a few feet from Jack, even he was a lot smaller than I ever imagined.

Nothing could beat the SHO at TPC Woodlands with The Bunker pavilion set up next to #18 fairway. I would go all four days and had more fun than I could stand.
bagger05
AG
Remember back when Adam Scott couldn't win very much because he was a bad putter?

TODAY ON THE FRONT NINE
1st hole: 29' birdie putt
2nd hole: Lagged to 3' from 72'
3rd hole: 9' par save
4th hole: Lagged to 7" from 44'
5th hole: 13' birdie putt
6th hole: Missed 13' birdie putt, tap in par
7th hole: 62' birdie putt
8th hole: 7' birdie putt
9th hole: Missed 27' birdie putt, tap in par
ORAggieFan
And Scott playing with a short putter for first time.
AgDotCom
^
|
Now that's funny.

(edit: both these last two posts are)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.