Big Break

13,237 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by redsquirrelAG
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
While I may not have actually ended up picking Chad because of the optics, I would have at least really wanted to deep down the first few times. It would have been the obvious choice in my mind. At this point, I wouldn't even consider it for a second...even if he was in the middle of an epic case of the shanks. I used to cringe when guys picked him...when Tyler did I just laughed and thought "Gawww, you ideeyut" (in his voice).
I don't think its necessarily that people are picking him because he has one leg. I think it's because he is a short hitter. You know that on the tee if you hit a good shot then he can't equal it. Basically if you're Tyler and you're looking at who to pick, you don't have a clear cut advantage over anybody in any category except you know for sure that you're a longer hitter than Chad. Easy to forget that he's got a pretty good game inside 150 yards, I guess.

And after last week, I thought that Chad did a great job of hanging on, but his opponent had a good opportunity to put him away a couple times. He had some clutch plays, but I thought you could also argue that he kinda escaped as well.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I just started watching (my first recent season to watch) and goodness gracious Melanie Collins
YES SIR! [\VerneLundquistVoice]

Yesterday
AG
quote:
quote:
While I may not have actually ended up picking Chad because of the optics, I would have at least really wanted to deep down the first few times. It would have been the obvious choice in my mind. At this point, I wouldn't even consider it for a second...even if he was in the middle of an epic case of the shanks. I used to cringe when guys picked him...when Tyler did I just laughed and thought "Gawww, you ideeyut" (in his voice).
I don't think its necessarily that people are picking him because he has one leg. I think it's because he is a short hitter. You know that on the tee if you hit a good shot then he can't equal it. Basically if you're Tyler and you're looking at who to pick, you don't have a clear cut advantage over anybody in any category except you know for sure that you're a longer hitter than Chad. Easy to forget that he's got a pretty good game inside 150 yards, I guess.

And after last week, I thought that Chad did a great job of hanging on, but his opponent had a good opportunity to put him away a couple times. He had some clutch plays, but I thought you could also argue that he kinda escaped as well.

No doubt about it, we were even giving him a hard time for lucking out when that trick shot brother missed his 3 footer to win the hole, but Chad did make him pay for it. It's going to be tough for him competing against the long ball hitters but it won't matter if he keeps making birdies in the elimination rounds.
bigfoot10s
AG
I think Robert might be related to Howard Wolowitz from Big Bang Theory.

Oh, and Melanie Collins
Chipotlemonger
AG
Melanie? Interesting
DannyDuberstein
AG
The moral of the elimination story so far is stay away from match play vs people that make putts. Always the great equalizer.
stick93
AG
"I can hit my 2i 280. Can he? I don't think so"

What an idiot. Considering they were playing 2 short par 3's.
Yesterday
AG
Yea. That kid had some talent but you could tell it was pretty raw. He was slamming his 8 iron out to 190! Crazy. This episode is why I have trouble taking this show seriously. Tommy has t done much at all and then puts it all together for three holes. It's just not enough golf to even moderately judge these guys skill level.
stick93
AG
I don't totally disagree. However, it is typically a true enough test under the gun once it gets to the Elimination Challenge.
antman8504
AG
quote:
"I can hit my 2i 280. Can he? I don't think so"

What an idiot. Considering they were playing 2 short par 3's.

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. What an idiot.
antman8504
AG
redsquirrelAG
AG
Tommy was clutch in the elimination round and that's what you have to do to win this show. First time Chad has gotten some relief.
watty
AG
Yeah playing the Bear Trap in -2 is just studly, no matter who you are.
bagger05
AG
I can't believe no one has picked Kyle yet for the elimination challenge. Now that Tyler is gone he seems to clearly be the weakest player left.
bagger05
AG
Any predictions on who goes home this episode? My money is on Kyle. He lookd like the weakest one left. Hasn't really hit any clutch shots.
mt3950
AG
I think all of these guys have skill. The point of the show (I think anyway) is to see who can play under pressure the best. More times than not, the guys who handle the pressure best may not have the most talent.

My neighbor growing up was a 4 year all american at SMU. Best swing I've ever seen. Couldn't sniff the tour because he didn't have it between the ears.
bagger05
bagger05
AG
Guess I was wrong about Kyle. The dude has a beautiful swing so you know the game has to be underneath somewhere.

Thought Clay looked like a jerk tonight. I think he is seeing that he doesn't have the overall game these other guys do and is trying to compensate by trying to play head games.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Agreed on Clays strategy Bagger. And at the end he is sitting there pouting and wondering why they weren't happy he won. Chad is thru another round though!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Every season has an a-hole or two and if Clay is going to be a pot stirrer, he can't act all butthurt when the guys start treating him that way. Thought that was setting up bad for Chad when they started with that distance shot. Good to see him stay on since a couple of them are still afraid to take him to a challenge where it tends to be real golf and he is in their heads.
jmh3209
AG
quote:
I just started watching (my first recent season to watch) and goodness gracious Melanie Collins
redsquirrelAG
AG
Tough to see Chad lose.
boy09
AG
I don't know who to root for now. Robert I guess? Maybe Richy? Definitely not Clay, his swing is painful to watch..
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
That distance challenge was trouble going in for Chad. I know he was nails, but it's golf, keep going to the knockout round and you gonna get knocked out. Glad he made waves while he was there.

Lost a lot of interest last night, now just tuning in to see if Melanie wears anything interesting and watch for train wrecks on the course.
antman8504
AG
Sad to see Chad go. Was it me or were there more distance challenges this season than ever before? I would have liked to see more mid iron shots to give Chad a better chance
Yesterday
AG
It may have been you because I felt most of the elimination challenges he was in were primarily short game challenges. It sucks he got booted, but he played some great golf and even surprised me with his ability to grind it out. If he can keep his driving distance above 260 he'll have a shot to play in some professional events with that short game. He represented veterans very well on the show. He's a class act.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
It may have been you because I felt most of the elimination challenges he was in were primarily short game challenges.

Probably referring to the immunity challenges.
Ag pride
AG
Honestly I thought the elimination challenge set up really well for him last night.
antman8504
AG
Yes I was referring to the immunity challenges
gravy97
AG
I think Chad's best bet was to just hit a 100 yard shot onto the green, and force the other guys to all hit the green to pass his 260+100 total. He wasn't going to win immunity unless everyone else missed the green anyway. But I guess thats easier to say sitting here after only one ball found the green.

Anyway, good stuff Chad
boy09
AG
I was wondering why he didn't just hit a 100 yard shot also. The only thing I could think is that they all had to declare their distance before anyone went, and they just didn't really do a good job of showing that.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
I think Chad's best bet was to just hit a 100 yard shot onto the green, and force the other guys to all hit the green to pass his 260+100 total. He wasn't going to win immunity unless everyone else missed the green anyway. But I guess thats easier to say sitting here after only one ball found the green.

Anyway, good stuff Chad
Exactly, it's the old Price Is Right strategy of just bidding a $1 and hoping everyone goes over. I wondered that myself.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:

bagger05
AG
Just got caught up last night. Tough to see Chad go out, but I thought he made a pretty big strategic error by not taking a short shot into the green. I don't think he needed to win immunity--just needed to not be last place.

Wasn't really rooting for Clay to win the elimination challenge last night but it's about time that Kyle got eliminated. Just watching him swing you could tell he had some game but he only hit a couple good shots all season.

I think Richy, Justin, and Robert are the best players on there this season. I'd be glad to see any of them win.
redsquirrelAG
AG
^^^^
Agreed. Clay is in over his head and knows it. It's not an excuse to have poor sportsmanship and be a dick though. He wonders why he is isolated.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.