New Statement from Starr

17,414 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by End Of Message
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The true culpability is with the university and how it handled the rape victim. Petersen and Briles is basically "he said, he said". One or the other is lying but it will be very hard to prove.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jacques
quote:
The true culpability is with the university and how it handled the rape victim. Petersen and Briles is basically "he said, he said". One or the other is lying but it will be very hard to prove.

Emails
Bonfire96
AG
If FOIA doesn't apply to a private school, could Jane Doe's attorney get emails from Boise? "Sent" and "received" should show information Briles may be hiding.
aggiehawg
AG

quote:
And if I were the AD, I'd look out for falling objects. Creating a position within your department that reports above you is laying the groundwork to drop a piano on your head.
I always have to look up Ian McCaw's name because he's so low profile. And creating a position of mole within the AD's department is interesting. A resignation is forthcoming, most likely.

Sure, Starr is a very smart lawyer, with a reputation for being very methodical, not a knee-jerk reaction type.

How he has handled this mess, even with over a year's notice since the indictment, doesn't reflect that methodical bent.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Wally blanco
You look very pathetic defending briles and boo hoo sue u. It was known this guy was bad; real programs like Florida, Bama and others did their due diligence and said no thanks. Your boy Artie did what he has done 8-10 times before and welcomed yet another thug with open arms. Your basketball team has a history of this and even your baseball team has some history there.

IF boo hoo sue u is really the "christian" school it claims to be, they would not have buried this story nor let the rapist stay in school- much less the program. IF they REALLY care about how women are treated on their campus, they would fire the pres, the vp of student affairs, the general counsel, the ad and ole artie- at a minimum. But we all know who/what we are dealing with and McCall will take the fall, boo hoo sue u will pat themselves on the back and boast about how great they are.

Boo hoo sue u better hunker down, as it looks like there will be a title IX suite by the Feds which could suspend all federal funds it gets (i.e. FAFSA grants, etc.); then the civil suit will hit and if I were her I would start the battle at $100M; she could own a used up campus in south Waco, a high school sized stadium, etc. The state could suspend their funding to boo hoo sue u over Title IX also. Heck, there is even a clause in the bdf charter that could get boo hoo sue u removed from it.

If I was you, I would stop the fantasies you are having about Aggie men fapping (it will obviously be hard for you to do) and worry about protecting your own backside.
45-70Ag
AG
How involved are college presidents in knowing who is under scholarship? Not excusing Starr, he's a sanctimonious ***** but if an athletic dept wanted to hide things from a school president I would think it would be easy.
petey88

this is bayLOL, they are not hiding anything from each other, they are making out like bandits with allowed paychecks

if anything, it's like Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles,

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, we have to protect our phony baloney jobs"
Jacques
quote:
How involved are college presidents in knowing who is under scholarship? Not excusing Starr, he's a sanctimonious ***** but if an athletic dept wanted to hide things from a school president I would think it would be easy.
He might have not known beforehand. His culpability if any is in how he handles the situation now. He's litigator. He has to know better know than to just take Briles' word for it. He knows where to look and how to look there to determine if Briles knew then and is lying now.

If someone else finds what he didn't find through litigation later, then that's completely on him.
Walter H. White
quote:
Wally blanco
You look very pathetic defending briles and boo hoo sue u. It was known this guy was bad; real programs like Florida, Bama and others did their due diligence and said no thanks. Your boy Artie did what he has done 8-10 times before and welcomed yet another thug with open arms. Your basketball team has a history of this and even your baseball team has some history there.

IF boo hoo sue u is really the "christian" school it claims to be, they would not have buried this story nor let the rapist stay in school- much less the program. IF they REALLY care about how women are treated on their campus, they would fire the pres, the vp of student affairs, the general counsel, the ad and ole artie- at a minimum. But we all know who/what we are dealing with and McCall will take the fall, boo hoo sue u will pat themselves on the back and boast about how great they are.

Boo hoo sue u better hunker down, as it looks like there will be a title IX suite by the Feds which could suspend all federal funds it gets (i.e. FAFSA grants, etc.); then the civil suit will hit and if I were her I would start the battle at $100M; she could own a used up campus in south Waco, a high school sized stadium, etc. The state could suspend their funding to boo hoo sue u over Title IX also. Heck, there is even a clause in the bdf charter that could get boo hoo sue u removed from it.

If I was you, I would stop the fantasies you are having about Aggie men fapping (it will obviously be hard for you to do) and worry about protecting your own backside.

Now here is one serious scandal fapper.

Fire everyone! Pay a rape victim $100M! Kick Baylor out of the conference!

If there is one thing this fapper knows how to do, it is to fantasize.
Madman
AG
Something about Walter's last post reminds me of Miller58.

Any chance its him?
Walter H. White
quote:
It is possible that neither was lying. Their statements weren't actually contradicting. Peterson says, "we told them everything", and Briles says, "we didn't hear about the violence".

What Peterson is implying is that they officially told them everything they could officially say. And Briles recalls only that part. Was there more? Maybe so, but Peterson couldn't talk about it, and Briles is in CYA mode to deny it.

Walter H. White
quote:
quote:
This will be most upsetting to the scandal fappers. They are rooting for anything but accountability.
So you are ok with how that girl was treated by the athletic department and by the university?

Nobody should be okay with the university's treatment of the girl.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Wally, Wally, Wally.... Your obsessive fantasies about men fapping is just plain sad and very gross. You do know you can get help for that don't you? Don't you baptists have some kind of program there in south Waco that can turn you or something? My how boo hoo sue u and its delusional fans have fallen.

I realize that you paid four times the price for less than half the education and thus reading comprehension is not y'all's strong point, but I did not say any of that would happen- but all are potential remedies. I'll talk real slow hear and use words with fewer syllables for you... this will not go away. Your little piece of hell in south Waco is in deep caca and there will be a price to pay.

Your obsessive fantasy comments about men fapping is merely a diversional tactic. I do care about the two young ladies who were raped and threatened (and those are jus the ones we know of). I could care less about boo hoo sue u, but being the father of a daughter, I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone who hits, abuses,rapes, etc. a lady- and I hope that place will include slots for folks like you who make light of it.
petey88

BQ76,

Walter is just that, Walter ( another bayLOL clown )

'44 already dumped his nuts on that bayLOL loser.
Walter H. White
quote:
I do care about the two young ladies who were raped and threatened (and those are jus the ones we know of). I could care less about boo hoo sue u, but being the father of a daughter, I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone who hits, abuses,rapes, etc. a lady- and I hope that place will include slots for folks like you who make light of it.
Again, what is the story of two sexual assaults? I have only heard of one, which was just resolved in the courts.

Nobody is making light of rape, except for the scandal fappers who actually don't give a rat's ass about the horrible crime that was committed, and the search for truth now as to how the university so completely effed up the treatment of the victim of this crime. They are only concerned with fallacious implication of a football coach.

If you really do have a daughter, I believe your sincerity.
Caesar4
AG
quote:
That was quick.

LINK

quote:
Baylor University President and Chancellor Ken Starr released the following statement today, with respect to the university's internal inquiry and next steps:

"We must guarantee there is no room at Baylor University for those who would perpetrate sexual violence on our campus. I want to thank Jeremy Counseller, Professor of Law and Faculty Athletics Representative, for his judgment and guidance. After reviewing the results of his internal inquiry, I am recommending that our Board of Regents retain the services of outside counsel to investigate thoroughly these matters and recommend continued improvements. The Board plans to announce its selection of outside counsel early next week.

"In addition, I am creating a unique position, housed in the Division of Athletics, that has the authority and oversight of all student-athlete behavior. This officer-level position will report directly to the President and ensure our student-athletes maintain the high level of personal ethics and integrity that Baylor Nation demands. I will work directly with the Board of Regents to formulate the specific responsibilities of this position.

"Baylor University is committed to maintaining the highest degree of campus safety to protect the welfare of all our students. This is central to Baylor's mission as a Christian university and at the heart of our commitment to our students, faculty and staff. We must have zero tolerance for sexual violence on our athletic teams and our campus."

This is odd to me because it's unnecessarily limited. Why not just say, "We must have zero tolerance for sexual violence"?

Why limit the oversight to athletes? Why limit the "zero tolerance" to campus?

Because of the unnecessary conditions he attached to the sentence, he's almost saying, "If you're going to commit sexual violence, then do it off campus."

marble rye
AG
Please stop saying "scandal fappers".
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:
I do care about the two young ladies who were raped and threatened (and those are jus the ones we know of). I could care less about boo hoo sue u, but being the father of a daughter, I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone who hits, abuses,rapes, etc. a lady- and I hope that place will include slots for folks like you who make light of it.
Again, what is the story of two sexual assaults? I have only heard of one, which was just resolved in the courts.

Nobody is making light of rape, except for the scandal fappers who actually don't give a rat's ass about the horrible crime that was committed, and the search for truth now as to how the university so completely effed up the treatment of the victim of this crime. They are only concerned with fallacious implication of a football coach.

How do you keep pretending that Briles had nothing to do with this?
He could have cut the kid. Taken away his scholarship. Or not taken a gamble on a bad seed in the first place.

Nevermind the former serial rapist on his team.

Or the punk Seastrunk

petey88

Walter

I know two young ladies that were raped by Baylor students. One girl, a friend, was a student at Baylor.

The other was a family member who was not a Baylor student.

A football player did it.

Preach your stuff somewhere else.

aginlakeway
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm no fapping over this. Sorry.
Walter H. White
quote:

Walter

I know two young ladies that were raped by Baylor students. One girl, a friend, was a student at Baylor.

The other was a family member who was not a Baylor student.

A football player did it.

Preach your stuff somewhere else.

That sounds awful. I don't know what it has to do with this thread, unless the attacker has been mentioned, or had a prior record that the football staff ignored.
petey88

Doesn't really matter then, huh ?

No, it isn't a current case. But, yes, a past football coaching staff would not act on it because there were no criminal charges filed. She did not choose to be exposed as a victim in Waco, Texas.

That ******* knows who he is, I was told he raped 2 girls in the Waco area.
NoneGiven
AG
You're not sure what another rape perpetrated by a Baylor football player has to do with a thread about the violent, irresponsible culture of the Baylor Athletic Department?
Bobcat06
AG
So Miller58 is upset that people aren't showing enough sympathy for the rape victim and are only concerned with how this will affect the university?

I guess he hasn't seen the statements from Starr, Briles and pretty much any other Baylor administrator
Rec
AG
quote:
They are only concerned with fallacious implication of a football coach.

Not me man, this is just morbidly fascinating to watch. Thanks for everything lately, it has really kept me entertained during this off season. I feel terrible for the girl and her experience but, to be honest, I'm enjoying watching Baylor get their ass burned for it. I hope you can understand.
GAC06
AG
quote:
quote:

Whether Briles knew about the rapists past isn't the most important issue. Of course Petersen says he told Briles, and other coaches like Muschamp passed, but you can keep your head in the sand on that issue. Briles takes plenty of transfers who have been dismissed from other teams.

The important issue that should infuriate and embarrass Baylor fans is that Briles kept SU around even after he was indicted for rape, kept the story quiet, and hoped to play him this season. That is absolutely despicable, and inexcusable.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Another boo hoo sue u thug was recently sentenced to 20 years for sexual assault of the same lady twice.

I understand you missed it as things like that happen so much on your campus you are numb to it and it slides on by.
Spotted Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Briles should have taken the "Find a Fall Guy - by Chris Carter" seminar.

Briles and Star have thier "Fall Guy" in the person of Associate Dean Bethany McCraw. I just hope she was told to not really investigate, and has the proof (which I doubt).

No matter, I also hope the press does not let this go with this one fall guy, being a scapegoat for the whole cover up that went on afterwards.

As has been stated multiple times, there is way too much smoke for one person being responsible for the cover-up.

Hopefully the truth will come out after an outside investigation. Will the fappers accept anything that doesn't implicate the football coaches?

Dear Walter,
Why are you so obsessed with fapping? Don't you know,
"You don't have to he lonely at farmersonly.com"?
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
they need an attorney leading the investigation because that preserves the attorney-client privilege of the investigation. Stated another way, they're writing a hell of a big check.

They're not going to commission an investigation (not counsel) and then not release the findings. That would be a bigger PR nightmare than what they're facing now.

I've done investigations like this before -- or rather, corporate type. (Obviously not D-1 schools involving rape allegations and the head football coach lying). If the investigation is intended to be counsel and not to be released findings of fact, the organization is not going to publicize the investigation. At least, I'd strongly recommend against it. The reason you hire an attorney in a case like this is not to keep the findings secret per se; it is that the attorney is skilled in the investigative techniques required here -- deposition, examination of documents, etc. If you need someone to go chase down a bunch of people on the street to see what happened, you hire a PI firm. An attorney can depose just about anyone under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure regardless of whether there is an active civil case or not.

So yeah, we should find out the findings.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Seriously, to put a halt to their investigation after less than a week shows their true colors. This is not going to end well for them.
What if a 2nd name at Baylol popped up regarding SU and the athletic department was aware of the other person. The internal investigation made Starr aware of this, which he previously was not aware.

For this victim to lawyer up... she has to be aware of something else, IMO.

For Baylol to end an internal investigation and transition to an external one... IMO, that goes from circling the wagons and determining how much hush money gets sent out, to lack of institutional control and not going away with money.

An abuser abuses. IMO, it would not surprise me that he had a history in Pearland. What were the circumstances that led him to Boise where he was an AA, that didn't get him at a bigger school?!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
When there are depositions, who are you going to believe - Peterson or Briles?

If Muschamp deposes and says Peterson told him of the " incidents " , where will that leave Briles ?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
When there are depositions, who are you going to believe - Peterson or Briles?

If Muschamp deposes and says Peterson told him of the " incidents " , where will that leave Briles ?

The Florida story didn't involve allegations of a direct contact between Muschamp and Petersen. More lower level coaching staff talking to each other between Florida and Boise, as I recall.
MSU/SECALUM
Will the Baptist Church ever get involved with all that has taken place with Baylor athletics? Don't they provide some financing to Baylor?
Rocky Rider
AG
A lot of Baptists I know have been pretty embarrassed by Baylor for a long time. ..long before the latest scandal. Baylor may associate with the Baptist name and get support 'corporately' from the Baptist convention, but support w/in the denomination is waning.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Will the Baptist Church ever get involved with all that has taken place with Baylor athletics? Don't they provide some financing to Baylor?
When you say "Baptist Church"... that isn't like saying the Catholic Church...

You are probably thinking along the lines of the Baptist Conventions. The SBC - Southern Baptist Convention, is like the strongest...

Here is there position:
quote:
With the exception of the five theological colleges associated with our SBC seminaries, the Southern Baptist Convention has no direct connection with any of these institutions. It provides no funding. It elects no trustees. Each institution is related to one of our partnering Baptist state conventions.
quote:
The SBC provides no scholarship assistance to any student through the SBC Cooperative Program Allocation Budget. Scholarship awards are coordinated through each respective college or university's finance office in accordance with guidelines adopted by the individual school.
To which they designate in Texas:

quote:
Baylor University affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas

Notice Baylor is affiliated with Baptist General Convention of Texas, and not the "Southern Baptists of Texas Convention."

It has been awhile since I've seen their squabbling, but IIRC, many Southern Baptist view Baylor as... well... Baylor.

I'm not sure if Baylor gets funding from the Baptist General Convention of Texas... but they don't get anything from the SBC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.