$31,070,000 per school ($455 MM Total SEC)

31,127 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by firethewagonup
StephenvilleAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Not positive.... I saw it posted here (by a sip fan) earlier that the BDF didn't keep a full share but rather "kept what they needed to operate."
Bowlsby said the bdf has retained approx. $7M of that in a reserve fund specifically for expected future litigation / legal costs.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
quote:
Not positive.... I saw it posted here (by a sip fan) earlier that the BDF didn't keep a full share but rather "kept what they needed to operate."
Bowlsby said the bdf has retained approx. $7M of that in a reserve fund specifically for expected future litigation / legal costs.
What? How does the math work here? Were the earlier revenue numbers of $250,000,000 by ESPN off by that much??

ETA: Saw the distribution was $252,000,000, not the total revenues, which have not been disclosed, yet. I'll also add this odd statement:

quote:
Oklahoma State President Burns Hargis, head of the Big 12's board of directors, liked Bowlsby's projection that Big 12 schools will receive $44 million per year in distributions for the 2024-25 school year, the last under existing television rights agreements.

"We're very pleased with the revenue figure. I think we're in a very good place financially," Hargis said. "The disparity, I don't think, is near what that looks like [compared to SEC distributions]. As long as our student-athletes are getting the facilities and the academic support and the full-cost-of-attendance dollars, I think we'll be able to compete just fine. And I don't think our fans will question that."

Teslag
AG
quote:
Wow 27 mil from the conference and that does not include tier 3 rights? That's better than I thought.

The big 12 didn't do so bad did they?

So you're barely making more than Vandy is with only 5 months of the SECN revenues? Congrats?
Sandman98
AG
Hoiberg is leaving Iowa State. One more program the league relies on for credibility will erode. Bill Snyder will be gone soon and Kstate will become Emporia State.

Stoops and Self hate their life. Who's next?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Hoiberg is leaving Iowa State. One more program the league relies on for credibility will erode. Bill Snyder will be gone soon and Kstate will become Emporia State.

Stoops and Self hate their life. Who's next?
Gundy.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the Big 12 is distributing $250 million, then does that mean tu gets $25 million plus its $15 million from ESPN for the LHN ($40 million total)?
Nope. It means they divide the $250 Million by 11, as the Big 12 office gets a full share...LOL. That equals $22.72 Million. Then the LHN pays the University of Texas around $12 Million in 2015 per the schedule. Of the $12 Million, about $1.5 Million goes to IMG, which leaves the University with $10.5 Million, which it will split evenly between Academics and Athletics. Therefore, the Texas Athletic Department will get a total of $28 Million from its conference and its tv money.

POOR EFFING TSIPS
Incorrect. ESPN pays Texas $15M every year. $1.5M goes to IMG, $5M goes to the school (for the first 5 years of the deal) and the athletic department takes in $8.5.

I suggest you go read this.
http://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2204274
You do realize that was 3 years ago and those numbers were prorated for that year only?

Then let us fast forward to 2014, shall we?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/04/longhorn-network-scores-major-victory-with-dish-network-carriage-deal/
quote:
Securing wider distribution is key for ESPN, particularly because its rights fee increases by 3% annually, which means its LHN investment will only become more expensive. ESPN owes around $11.65 million this year, and its rights fee will surpass the $15 million average payout within the decade.

You won't see $15MM until at least 2020, and that is due to the 3% annual escalation. In order to get to a value of $300MM AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT, (because that is what the $300 is based on), and given a 3% escalation over 20 years, paid quarterly at the beginning of each quarter, the total year 1 revenue has to be around $10.9MM, which is exactly what is stated in the contract.
For the dimwit sips that won't read that, $15MM doesn't happen until at least 2020.
Please point out anywhere in that article where it says TEXAS doesn't receive $15M. This only talks about ESPN's return on their investment. Please don't post articles if you cant understand them...
Wow you're dense, we've pointed out documentation to what TEXAS receives in multiple places.

The "rights fee" as mentioned above is what ESPN owes Texas for the rights to the content. Yes, that is what a rights fee means.

Ultimately read the contract. <-----this is called a link. See, if you click on it, it will take you to another website. There you can see the contract! Neato! It states what gets paid out to TEXAS. Y1 payment to TEXAS is $10.98M with a 3% annual escalator. That cannot be disputed. IMG's share is 14% of this payment. Yea, I know...math is hard. So is reading.

The $15M number comes from $300M averaged over 20 years. (let me help: 300/20=15). That's why its usually referenced as "average" payout. Like the article above referenced. Here - maybe this will help you out: http://www.mathsisfun.com/mean.html

And that is gross - it doesn't take into account IMG's share nor the fact that it graduates annually by 3% from a starting point under $11M.

I'm beginning to feel bad for continuing to beat up on the simple-minded.
Bobcat06
AG
Something else to consider:

In 2031, the 20th year of the LHN contract when the payout escalator has reached it's full potential of 180.6% of the original $10.98M, the rights fees from ESPN to texas will be $19.83M.

Removing 14% to IMG and splitting the remainder equally with the academic side, the texas athletic department will receive 43% of $19.83M, or $8.53M.

Simply put, the most texas athletics will ever receive from the LHN is $8.53M
The least A&M athletics will ever receive from the SECN is $10.2M
StephenvilleAg77
Mike Gundy, Art Briles, Gary Patterson, and Bill Snyder are anomalies at their respective schools. (See: Mike Leach, Texas Tech). When it ends, those programs will go back into the wilderness for 40 years.
ham98
God bless dodds! I dont think we get to the sec without your unmatched hubris. We should put a statue of him in the ad office.
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
Simply put, the most texas athletics will ever receive from the LHN is $8.53M
The least A&M athletics will ever receive from the SECN is $10.2M
Yeah, but would you rather have $8.53MM in 20 years or $10.2MM today? Idiots!
/Thorn
Muy
AG
God bless Dodds and the LHN!
firethewagonup
Gigem Aggies

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.