$31,070,000 per school ($455 MM Total SEC)

31,145 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by firethewagonup
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WVRC = West Virginia Railroad Commission?
Saint Arnold
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't we have more 3rd tier money from other contracts outside of the SEC Network? We have programs that run on FSSW.

Probably netted out in the payouts that ESPN / SEC made to all of the various T3 rights holders.
They're separate. Learfield Sports manages our rights usage outside of the T1-T3 contracts - radio, sponsorships, licensing, merchandising, etc and pays us royalties after taking their cut. I would guess this also includes broadcasts on FoxSW & FCS and other outlets outside the 3 main media tiers. It does include radio. These wouldn't be included in any SEC T3 contracts.

We have been receiving a guaranteed $5M per year since 2006 with potential extras based on additional profit on deals signed by Learfield - this year it was an extra $2.7M. We are apparently about to renegotiate or go with another (IMG?). tu and most other large programs have a similar rights manager that includes additional activity outside the boundaries of main tier contracts.

*Incidentally, when the B12 boasts about their mighty "Tier 3 deals", these deals appear to also include all of their rights usages - radio, marketing, etc....so if we were apples to apples, we'd have to add our $5-$8M per year we receive every time they talk about their total media revenues. Here's WV (note the references to radio & marketing included in the deal - just like what we have with our Learfield deal).

Not an expert, but I believe that's how it works.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the Big 12 is distributing $250 million, then does that mean tu gets $25 million plus its $15 million from ESPN for the LHN ($40 million total)?
(edit)

Sips always throw the $15M around. IMG gets a 14% share, so that's an average annual income of $12.9 not $15M. For the first 5 years (at least) the resulting net is split with the academic side. That leaves in the neighborhood of $6.5M average. Congrats.

Technically the $15M thrown around is only an average gross payout over the 20 year period. For the Belmont receipt side, the contract starts in Y1 at $10.8M with a 3% annual increase. So with that, by year 4 ('14-'15) the gross payout is at $11.8M. These are documented.

Contract

So $11.8M less IMG's 14% = $10.1M split with the academic side = $5M. Thus this year is closer to $25M-ish + $5M = $30M to the AD.

Of the $25M average payout, some goes to the B12 offices, but more is distributed to full members by giving WV & TCU their initiation screw. If the B12 office gets a full share, and TCU/WV only get 85%, that adjusts the net conference income to $23.4M ($250M / 11 plus TCU/WV 15% withheld distributed 10 ways at $681k).

$23.4M + 5M = $28.4M total.
Not only that BDF fans, tu screwed over their conference mates to make the extra $5M. That's right, they sold their pathetic little souls to get every edge possible.

And they're still making less than Vandy!
Something something game theory?
Ag In Ok
AG
So is that read as all in wvu will receive high $20M this year? 21M + 6 to 8M?

And if lhn sends about $11M to austin, does wvu really come within 30% without their own network in the 49th richest state?
The Collective
AG
Good info.
Madman
AG
HTownAg98
No. The lhn contract does not include sip radio and other things, just like us.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
Step 1: Disassociate your program and the nutless bovine clown show.

Step 2: PROFIT
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the Big 12 is distributing $250 million, then does that mean tu gets $25 million plus its $15 million from ESPN for the LHN ($40 million total)?
Nope. It means they divide the $250 Million by 11, as the Big 12 office gets a full share...LOL. That equals $22.72 Million. Then the LHN pays the University of Texas around $12 Million in 2015 per the schedule. Of the $12 Million, about $1.5 Million goes to IMG, which leaves the University with $10.5 Million, which it will split evenly between Academics and Athletics. Therefore, the Texas Athletic Department will get a total of $28 Million from its conference and its tv money.

POOR EFFING TSIPS
Incorrect. ESPN pays Texas $15M every year. $1.5M goes to IMG, $5M goes to the school (for the first 5 years of the deal) and the athletic department takes in $8.5.

I suggest you go read this.
http://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2204274
You do realize that was 3 years ago and those numbers were prorated for that year only?

Then let us fast forward to 2014, shall we?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/03/04/longhorn-network-scores-major-victory-with-dish-network-carriage-deal/
quote:
Securing wider distribution is key for ESPN, particularly because its rights fee increases by 3% annually, which means its LHN investment will only become more expensive. ESPN owes around $11.65 million this year, and its rights fee will surpass the $15 million average payout within the decade.

You won't see $15MM until at least 2020, and that is due to the 3% annual escalation. In order to get to a value of $300MM AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT, (because that is what the $300 is based on), and given a 3% escalation over 20 years, paid quarterly at the beginning of each quarter, the total year 1 revenue has to be around $10.9MM, which is exactly what is stated in the contract.
For the dimwit sips that won't read that, $15MM doesn't happen until at least 2020.
Please point out anywhere in that article where it says TEXAS doesn't receive $15M. This only talks about ESPN's return on their investment. Please don't post articles if you cant understand them...
How about you read the ****ing contract that texas has with ESPN. Page 17 in particular.

$10,980,00 the first year with 3% increase per contract year
It really isn't that hard to understand, even for a whorn graduate.....that is if you even are one
StephenvilleAg77
"Contract? What contract?" -- little brother sips
BQ-ESQ99
AG
Deloss Dodds as Warden Norton, Captain Byron Hadley as Bill Powers, ...and Moran Freeman playing the role of 5 Core Values in...

Texas A&M's "SEC Redemption"
Tom Doniphon
It takes a diehard commitment to stupid to argue with plain language in a contract that your own AD signed.
StephenvilleAg77
Little brother sip Thorn39 spouting off:
quote:
Please point out anywhere in that article where it says TEXAS doesn't receive $15M. This only talks about ESPN's return on their investment. Please don't post articles if you cant understand them...
Saint Arnold's reply:
quote:
Wow you're dense, we've pointed out documentation to what TEXAS receives in multiple places.

The "rights fee" as mentioned above is what ESPN owes Texas for the rights to the content. Yes, that is what a rights fee means.

Ultimately read the contract. <-----this is called a link. See, if you click on it, it will take you to another website. There you can see the contract! Neato! It states what gets paid out to TEXAS. Y1 payment to TEXAS is $10.98M with a 3% annual escalator. That cannot be disputed. IMG's share is 14% of this payment. Yea, I know...math is hard. So is reading.

The $15M number comes from $300M averaged over 20 years. (let me help: 300/20=15). That's why its usually referenced as "average" payout. Like the article above referenced. Here - maybe this will help you out: http://www.mathsisfun.com/mean.html

And that is gross - it doesn't take into account IMG's share nor the fact that it graduates annually by 3% from a starting point under $11M.

I'm beginning to feel bad for continuing to beat up on the simple-minded.
Blue star for Saint Arnold. I am hurting from laughing so hard. Well done.
Johnny Z
AG
The shag is still convinced the SECN is causing us to lose money. Also saying Clay Travis is an idiot because each school was supposed to receive $30M THIS YEAR from the SECN alone. Plus, they are saying that ESPN obviously values the LHN more than SECN because the SEC had to pay start up costs, tu did not.

Their little minds are hard at work trying to figure all of this out. Geezus!
cupcakesprinkles
AG
quote:
"Longwhron fans have nothing to worry about, just wait until the X-Games revenue starts rolling in and we will once again be the richest program in the country. That's how this works, right?" - Jeff Howe
MSU/SECALUM
quote:
But wait, there's more!!
SEC announced official payouts of $31.2 million.
Redneck accounting error??
Murder Hornet
AG
quote:
Shag is also saying SECN money will peak in 2 years and then start LOSING money every year after that. Good lord.
We can't hear them because of all the money in our ears /JFF
Coppell97
AG
Coppell97
AG
quote:
We can't hear them because of all the money in our ears /JFF

petey88

said it before, and will say it again, these dumbass sips sure are smart
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
Deloss Dodds as Warden Norton, Captain Byron Hadley as Bill Powers, ...and Moran Freeman playing the role of 5 Core Values in...

Texas A&M's "SEC Redemption"

Not sure if intentional...
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
quote:
Little brother sip Thorn39 spouting off:
quote:
Saint Arnold's reply:
quote:
Wow you're dense, we've pointed out documentation to what TEXAS receives in multiple places.

The "rights fee" as mentioned above is what ESPN owes Texas for the rights to the content. Yes, that is what a rights fee means.

Ultimately read the contract. <-----this is called a link. See, if you click on it, it will take you to another website. There you can see the contract! Neato! It states what gets paid out to TEXAS. Y1 payment to TEXAS is $10.98M with a 3% annual escalator. That cannot be disputed. IMG's share is 14% of this payment. Yea, I know...math is hard. So is reading.

The $15M number comes from $300M averaged over 20 years. (let me help: 300/20=15). That's why its usually referenced as "average" payout. Like the article above referenced. Here - maybe this will help you out: http://www.mathsisfun.com/mean.html

And that is gross - it doesn't take into account IMG's share nor the fact that it graduates annually by 3% from a starting point under $11M.

I'm beginning to feel bad for continuing to beat up on the simple-minded.
Blue star for Saint Arnold. I am hurting from laughing so hard. Well done.

It's sad that uTx no longer requires any exposure to Statistics and basic Cowboy Business Math, but it does explain a lot about their financial decisions during realignment.
longhornhere55
Big Dumpster Fire To Declare Bankruptcy

Oh my how is poor Texas going to survive on a paltry $27 million a year + the LHN?

Turruble. Just Turrible.
petey88

like I said,...

55 shows
Tom Doniphon
quote:
Oh my how is poor Texas going to survive on a paltry $27 million a year + the LHN?

About like Vanderbilt. Dumb b-stard
Johnny Z
AG
My my...look who shows up. Everyone's favorite bobcat!
88jrt06
AG

quote:

About the same, we expect.

aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Friday afternoon, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsbyannounced that eight of his conference's schools will received full shares of $27 million each. New-ish members TCU and West Virginia will receive $24 and $23 million apiece, respectively; next year, each of those schools will receive full shares.

quote:
In 2014, Bowlsby announced what was a then-record payout of $23 million per school.
From 55's link.

Yeah that guaranteed $50,000,000 from the CFP came in handy, didn't it??
Stevetex.
Wow 27 mil from the conference and that does not include tier 3 rights? That's better than I thought.

The big 12 didn't do so bad did they?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Wow 27 mil from the conference and that does not include tier 3 rights? That's better than I thought.

The big 12 didn't do so bad did they?
No they didn't. Will offset the decline ticket sales nicely.
Tom Doniphon
Since the BDF doesn't keep a share for the conference coffers, I expect they distributed as much as possible in an attempt to stay close to the SEC. Wonder how that'll work out for long term conference marketing.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Since the BDF doesn't keep a share for the conference coffers, I expect they distributed as much as possible in an attempt to stay close to the SEC. Wonder how that'll work out for long term conference marketing.
I was wondering what the total Big XII conference revenue actually turned out to be. Early reports were $255,000,000 or thereabouts??

Was that confirmed by the league??

ETA: Forgot a zero.
Tom Doniphon
Not positive.... I saw it posted here (by a sip fan) earlier that the BDF didn't keep a full share but rather "kept what they needed to operate."
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
quote:
Big Dumpster Fire To Declare Bankruptcy

Turruble. Just Turrible.
Well they could begin by cutting $2M of the red ink out of their AD budget. I suggest cutting Cabbage or Queerditch or whatever that stupid BS is.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks, Tom. Everyone knew the Big XII would have an increase in revenue, just because the CFP and the bowl payouts were dramatically increased over the last year of the BCS. Curious to see what the precise difference was.

Things that make you go "Hhmm."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.